daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2015, 08:52 PM   #5961
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I just don't get why Barnett is being a type A bumhole with his secretiveness about the design, and the continued "tweaking". Why the hell is he furious with YIMBY when they 've been really positive on the new renders? Man's ego is really beyond annoying that he's not yet ready to pony up. Because he can't get much better than this design.

SMCYB liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:53 PM   #5962
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
I assume that's the first setback a few stories above ground level.
Is this not the Nordstrom storefront?
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:00 PM   #5963
BlueBright

Likes (Received): 55

Did you notice how Barnett hinted that the final product may be different?He is foreshadowing that it may be a bit taller if you think.The way he words it,the original concept was to end up less than one wtc,but since things are changing we may be looking at a future u.s tallest as a residential .interesting times

Kanto, onewtclover liked this post
BlueBright no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:03 AM   #5964
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2545

that's a nice optimistic way of looking at it. although it is a bit trite to break down to feet and inches, being able to outright say you have the tallest building in the country without having to throw in the gimmicky word residential, rings a lot nicer. besides, I don't see a bit of backlash about the height. 1 WTC's height is symbolic, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the tallest anything. The original ones weren't anyway, Sears Tower always had them beat. well I guess to be fair, they did have the designation of the tallest in the city

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:07 AM   #5965
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I just don't get why Barnett is being a type A bumhole with his secretiveness about the design, and the continued "tweaking". Why the hell is he furious with YIMBY when they 've been really positive on the new renders? Man's ego is really beyond annoying that he's not yet ready to pony up. Because he can't get much better than this design.
I think Extell would like to coordinate such a 'big reveal' with the sales launch for maximum effect. Sales have not begun AFAIK so it's natural they are pissed about the leak. But they can't pretend this wouldn't happen.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:24 AM   #5966
obses

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

Someday we will not be able to view central park from top of the rock. XD
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:42 AM   #5967
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by obses View Post
Someday we will not be able to view central park from top of the rock. XD
Yeah, you can see from the render it's getting pretty filled in and with Park Lane and 31 W57th I really think that should be enough for that area in terms of really tall towers, certainly no more than one more. Don't forget, none of these towers will have a public observatory(One Vanderbilt will help, so will Time Warner tower at HY, both of which will have a public observatory on the highest accessible levels) so blocking off Central Park views is kinda a crappy deal if it gets too out of hand with the density of towers allowed. I'm still though of the view this Central Park area skyline is going to be awesome and thrill visitors and residents alike.

Kanto, onewtclover, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:46 PM   #5968
wpolom

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post

Nice!
At least the spire (antenna) on the Nordstrom Tower looks quite muscular compared to the one on the Bank of America Tower.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
wpolom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #5969
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

A Nice but dull cash cow job conceived to make a fortune on housing Chinese billionaires daughters rather than anything else. Need more je ne sais quoi for what is supposed to be the crown and zenith of midtown, ok Gary?

The Sears tower of NYC , all updated for your viewing pleasure, has arrived. That is what I get out of it, the Sears tower of the 2010s. How thrilling.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 24th, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #5970
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

next up to bat... https://www.flickr.com/photos/821707...91841/sizes/h/ (click link; sharing is disabled)

McSky, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #5971
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
next up to bat... https://www.flickr.com/photos/821707...91841/sizes/h/ (click link; sharing is disabled)
What a vomit inducing pile of ersatz nonsense. An atrociously ugly facade that should be in TS. I'm glad it will be overshadowed soon. I can't believe such a well respected designer could stoop so low. There is not much integrity in architecture when ££££ and a chance to build in NYC comes along. The money talks, design takes a walk. Seriously, they should ditch their edgy black maverick uniforms and put on striped suits and suspenders.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 24th, 2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old April 24th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #5972
beter2

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Since the building won’t be completed until 2018, it’s probably best for people to get their Central Park sunshine now, as the new crop of 57th Street towers will be throwing some literal shade on New York’s backyard.
http://blog.archpaper.com/2015/04/ta...-planet-earth/

nice view!
beter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #5973
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
The Sears tower of NYC , all updated for your viewing pleasure, has arrived. That is what I get out of it, the Sears tower of the 2010s. How thrilling.
Please, the Sears Tower is miles better than this.

4npower, gusgazman liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #5974
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

I'm inclined to agree. The Sears Tower is a timeless icon. 225 west 57th will be one of many in this current boom. it just happens to be the tallest.
Old April 26th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #5975
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I'm inclined to agree. The Sears Tower is a timeless icon. 225 west 57th will be one of many in this current boom. it just happens to be the tallest.
Sears tower is very unique... it's the only black 400+ meter building in the world. The only other black supertall is JHC also in Chicago which makes it even cooler. I've always though both of those buildings look like they should be Darth Vader's headquarters.

I think this building, while a little more mainstream is still incredibly cool looking, plus it's a new height record in the US, that's definitely special... it's only been like what, 40+ years?

Kanto, onewtclover, citybooster liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #5976
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2545

I told my nephew it's the Octan tower after watching The Lego Movie.

Kanto, j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #5977
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Please, the Sears Tower is miles better than this.
I don't like the Sears. I actually think this is better because I find the sears too bulky, dark and depressing. I also don't like the Loop so that colors my impression. However, you must admit there is some similarity in the design, especially the massing and setbacks. This is seriously a much cooler tower though. Far more bright, modern, and sleek. The Sears IMO is overrated and the view from the top is too when I was there.
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #5978
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Nordstrom is very similar to the Willis Tower - that however is a very good thing. The Willis Tower is a phenomenal masterpiece and Nordstrom is one as well. It is a sleker version of the iconic Chicago emperor, however it follows the same basic principlec, which are in my opinion the ultimate achievement of architecture and aesthetics. Architectural prefference is a subjective matter, hower I would like to note that the Willis Tower is in my opinion the most beautiful building ever built and Nordstrom, will, once it's built, be the second most beautiful building ever built, second only to the Willis Tower. No other building in NYC, built or proposed comes even close to the phenomenality of Nordstrom

City-of-Platinum liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #5979
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

Disappointed in the low resolution of these latest renderings.

onewtclover liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #5980
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBright View Post
Did you notice how Barnett hinted that the final product may be different?He is foreshadowing that it may be a bit taller if you think.The way he words it,the original concept was to end up less than one wtc,but since things are changing we may be looking at a future u.s tallest as a residential .interesting times
You are on the right path. New details coming soon.

Last edited by Otie; April 29th, 2015 at 12:17 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall