daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #6121
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22507

Barnett is a schmuck. If he had his way we wouldn't have known about the spire. YIMBY has the plans - I trust them first at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #6122
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Hard to see where the spire contributes anything to the building except height. That may be enough for some people, but a really good spire should be an outgrowth of a buildings overall design.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, WillBuild, SMCYB liked this post
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #6123
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
I think it means that the height is going to increase, but that Barnett doesn't want to admit it until later for marketing reasons, just as he got angry at YIMBY for leaking the design. Then again, I could be wrong, and Barnett could still have that "respect" mentality.
Yea I think so too, I guess we'll see.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, onewtclover liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #6124
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Extell Says Nordstrom Tower Will Not Eclipse One WTC

FWIW, the denial is in the Post and on Curbed:

'' Extell overlord Gary Barnett told the Post last night that it's not true: "The Nordstrom Tower will categorically not be taller than 1 World Trade Center." ''

We'll see..
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #6125
Jay

I don't get him at all...

This is all so confusing.
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #6126
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Honestly who cares if the spire is 20 feet taller or shorter, all I care about is that New york will have the tallest building by roof height, and by total height (1 WTC if the spire ends up shorter) in the Western Hemisphere.

Kanto liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #6127
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Honestly who cares if the spire is 20 feet taller or shorter, all I care about is that New york will have the tallest building by roof height, and by total height (1 WTC if the spire ends up shorter) in the Western Hemisphere.
I've always been suspicious of this deference to 1WTC. It just seems like Barnett wants to have the tallest residential tower. Then force anyone else to go higher and look disrespectful to 1WTC. That's so weak and petty. Barnett gets to hold the title of having the tallest residential tower, and anyone else who dares to go higher looks evil, greedy, etc.

Just hope he does build it higher than 1WTC and end any debate about it once and for all.

We know eventually there will be a tower taller than 1WTC. But the longer the record is held by it, the harder it could be for others to break it.

Kanto liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #6128
trustevil

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
I think it means that the height is going to increase, but that Barnett doesn't want to admit it until later for marketing reasons, just as he got angry at YIMBY for leaking the design. Then again, I could be wrong, and Barnett could still have that "respect" mentality.
A foolish mentality IMO, it just seems like hes hesitating like his patriotism is in question if he builds higher than 1776' which is petty. Only time will tell and at least its u/c

onewtclover, Kanto liked this post
trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #6129
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
A foolish mentality IMO, it just seems like hes hesitating like his patriotism is in question if he builds higher than 1776' which is petty. Only time will tell and at least its u/c
He's hiding behind patriotism. I think it's just a tactic to future proof this tower from anyone else going higher.

I can see it from his perspective, if he goes higher than 1WTC, then it gives the green light for competitors to do it too.
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #6130
trustevil

If you think about it though even if he doesn't someone else will. If i were in his shoes i'd do it myb he is playing coy about it though. Hiding the actual height till the last minute
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #6131
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
If you think about it though even if he doesn't someone else will. If i were in his shoes i'd do it myb he is playing coy about it though. Hiding the actual height till the last minute
Of course some tower will eventually be taller than 1WTC. But how soon is the question. I doubt Barnett cares if it happens in 10-20 years. He cares about selling his apartments in the next few years. Once there sold it won't matter. He's worried about someone building higher right now.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #6132
trustevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Of course some tower will eventually be taller than 1WTC. But how soon is the question. I doubt Barnett cares if it happens in 10-20 years. He cares about selling his apartments in the next few years. Once there sold it won't matter. He's worried about someone building higher right now.
And who knows if hes being careful bout what he says? Its like a playground you play with the big boys u might get roughed up, myb not physically in this sense but sometimes its a pride war. Already the tallest to the roof says a lot, i bet he wants it all to be perfect before HE spills the beans. I getta feeling that whoever the guy is that leaked this new render and height its like a brother telling ppl what he doing whether the consequences are good or bad...
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #6133
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10395

So the height isn't increasing?
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #6134
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
So the height isn't increasing?
We don't know yet. We keep hearing contradictory things.
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #6135
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

It may not be taller, but geographically say they go with the 1,530 ft to the roof, 1,775 ft total with the spires... from reading about Manhattan topography Nordstrom is around ninety feet above seas level while WTC 1 is basically at sea level. So it will be at a higher point, the highest point so far in all of Manhattan. I really think the deference thing is a nice gimmick, but it will rise tallest even without the extra 20 ft because of the topography..... don't know why Barnett has to be so **** retentive with his deference because in the end a still a gimmick it is.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #6136
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

The only spire in New York that adds anything pleasing to its building is Chrysler. All the others are just poles stuck on top of the roof. Who cares about who has a taller pole? The whole spire discussion is stupid and I'm tired of it.

Looking forward to watching this building rise and casting its shadow over the Central Park Zoo. (The spire's shadow will be minimal.)

Kanto liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #6137
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Isn't there a chance that the patriotic deference thing is just a pretext not to reveal the true height until Extell's competitors are far enough along in their plans so as to be locked in to a lower height? You know, a good old-fashioned sneaky height war?

I'm thinking mostly about Steinway Tower, which we all remember being drastically revised up, but with several other sites around Billionaires Row still in play, I think Extell's wants to be sure they keep the tallest title for a while. If Barnett is putting on this "we aren't going higher than WTC out of respect and neither should you" air, but really plans to break the rule himself to claim the title, then it makes sense he would be pissed at YIMBY for revealing his cards.

phoenixboi08, Kanto, onewtclover liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #6138
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Isn't there a chance that the patriotic deference thing is just a pretext not to reveal the true height until Extell's competitors are far enough along in their plans so as to be locked in to a lower height? You know, a good old-fashioned sneaky height war?

I'm thinking mostly about Steinway Tower, which we all remember being drastically revised up, but with several other sites around Billionaires Row still in play, I think Extell's wants to be sure they keep the tallest title for a while. If Barnett is putting on this "we aren't going higher than WTC out of respect and neither should you" air, but really plans to break the rule himself to claim the title, then it makes sense he would be pissed at YIMBY for revealing his cards.
Maybe, but when you think about it, what are the odds of another ~1,800 foot building going up next to Central Park in the near future?

Quote:
The only spire in New York that adds anything pleasing to its building is Chrysler. All the others are just poles stuck on top of the roof. Who cares about who has a taller pole? The whole spire discussion is stupid and I'm tired of it.
For the most part I agree with this, especially for buildings like NYT and BOA but 1WTC's spire sometimes looks nice, especially at night. I think Nordstroms spire is another exception, it adds to the building IMO and is much better than 1WTC's.
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #6139
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Chrysler has a spire on top of a crown...it would look exactly the same if the crown wasn't there.

Furthermore, I agree that the entire discussion is stupid, especially referring to these things as "sticks" and "poles"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I'd tend to agree...I have a hard time believing they give a crap about surpassing 1WTC. A very hard time.

My feeling is that taking the "tallest" title garners a lot of attention and might result in "tightened screws" under certain circumstances (neighborhood opposition, skepticism the next time you go and try to develop something elsewhere in the city, etc).

Unless it is the tallest and will surpass 1 WTC - with headlines and news coverage to boot - most people would have no idea the thing was rising until it was actually visible across the city (kind of like 432 Park).

MarshallKnight, citybooster liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #6140
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Maybe, but when you think about it, what are the odds of another ~1,800 foot building going up next to Central Park in the near future?
I really don't know! There's still a chance that Shvo's 100-story mystery tower is more than an ego-driven fever dream, plus Lex has previously pointed out several remaining sites and assemblages that could yield tall buildings.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'm kind of hoping Gary knows something we don't.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall