daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #6141
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Some keywords here, and just maybe negates the contradictory statements from Mr. Barnett:

Quote:
"When we were planning the building, we decided that we were going to make it less tall out of respect,” Barnett said last month. “I can’t comment on what other developers plan to do or what our final building will be, but that was the plan.”

MarshallKnight, citybooster, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by OnePointWest; May 13th, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #6142
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

The height is definitely the 1795ft. All that comment by him is doing is, more or less, putting the blame on others so it looks like it wasn't his idea to go higher than 1WTC.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #6143
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
Some keywords here, and just maybe negates the contradictory statements from Mr. Barnett:
All depends on the meaning behind the semantics... "that was the plan" or "that WAS the plan, but gosh darnit I just couldn't resist" if in the end he still leaves out the possibility that despite his original intentions, ultimately the final plan may well be the 1,795 ft figure. My gut is that lol, he won't say until the spire is actually completed..."oops, they went 20 feet too high.. those dang architects going against my wishes!"

onewtclover liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #6144
ploppalopp

Likes (Received): 1021

I think that Barnett is going to make this tower shorter than one wtc by not counting the spire as a spire but rather as an antannea or whatever. This way, he could make the roof height up to as high as the spire as one wtc without "technically" passing the height of one wtc.
Anyone agree?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ploppalopp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #6145
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppalopp View Post
I think that Barnett is going to make this tower shorter than one wtc by not counting the spire as a spire but rather as an antannea or whatever. This way, he could make the roof height up to as high as the spire as one wtc without "technically" passing the height of one wtc.
Anyone agree?
Well you have to think he only has so much FAR and air rights to work with. But who really knows. I doubt he has enough to go up all the way to 1700+ feet without a spire as a height bonus.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #6146
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

The combined issues of available FAR, considerations of floor plates & apartment design, construction costs (higher is pricier), and elevator issues will probably constrain Extell to keep this tower at around 1500 feet.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #6147
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppalopp View Post
I think that Barnett is going to make this tower shorter than one wtc by not counting the spire as a spire but rather as an antannea or whatever. This way, he could make the roof height up to as high as the spire as one wtc without "technically" passing the height of one wtc. Anyone agree?
No. He's not gonna build a spire for tens of millions of dollars and then just not count it in the height.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #6148
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
The combined issues of available FAR, considerations of floor plates & apartment design, construction costs (higher is pricier), and elevator issues will probably constrain Extell to keep this tower at around 1500 feet.
I think the highest occupied floor is about 1490. Only the parapet grew.

ploppalopp, citybooster liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; May 14th, 2015 at 02:26 AM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #6149
Muhamed Krasniqi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Muhamed Krasniqi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #6150
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

New official rendering from Extell:

found on NY Yimby

Quote from the article:
Quote:
(...) The documents come with new information indicating a total of 184 condominiums, and their expected sales volume will total $4.4 billion, as reported by Eliot Brown in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.

YIMBY can expand upon the Journal’s reports, and internal documents note Extell intends to turn a profit margin of no less than 30% on the project, which would net the firm at least $1.3 billion in profit if sales meet expectations. Completion is expected by the end of 2018, and the building will total 1.155 million square feet, with the bottom seven floors to be occupied by Nordstrom.
Photo source and full article here: http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/05/offi...rom-tower.html

Last edited by Torch; May 14th, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #6151
lepringlesface
bringer of sprolening's

Likes (Received): 20

Damn, that's some sci-fi shit.
The tower looks gorgeous. I'm tempted to do a new shop of future New York.

What is the total height now?
lepringlesface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #6152
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/05/offi...rom-tower.html

It will def look great from Central Park. What I really can't wait for is the skyline rendering, especially from that view point:

http://432parkavenue.com/?state=home

That said I'm less and less impressed with the overall tower design. Again great for the skyline, but not really an architectural Gem.

Last edited by Ghostface79; May 14th, 2015 at 04:32 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #6153
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepringlesface View Post
Damn, that's some sci-fi shit.
The tower looks gorgeous. I'm tempted to do a new shop of future New York.

What is the total height now?
There is still a lot speculation going on

From the article:
Quote:
While Extell has avoided posting any information on-site or online for 217 West 57th Street, YIMBY has brought you two sets of plans for the building, with the most recently obtained versions (dated June of 2014) depicting a 1,795-foot pinnacle. We have now obtained an official rendering Extell is using for the project, dated from this March, confirming it will look almost identical to both versions previously revealed by YIMBY as well as the image of the tower created in-house at Smith + Gill.

It is certainly possible that plans have continued to change over the past few months, but foundations are already being poured and construction is beginning to creep upwards from the pit that currently sits nearly 100 feet below 57th Street. The documents list a pinnacle height of 1,515 feet or 462 meters, which would be just shy of the 1,530-foot figure indicated in the design from June of 2014.

This rendering also shows a pinnacle shorter than 1,795′, likely matching the previous estimate of 1,775′. While actual buildings are subject to strict DOB rules, rooftop adornments (like any sort of spire) are much more flexible, and the lack of mandated transparency means that Extell could easily add whatever height is necessary to top One World Trade Center at the last minute, though this image would confirm Gary Barnett’s statement to the New York Post that “The Nordstrom Tower will categorically not be taller than 1 World Trade Center.”

The length of the spire’s last segment can easily be adjusted upwards, and while Barnett issued a denial the project would be taller than One World Trade Center, YIMBY believes there is no reason it would be shorter, considering the building will handily grab the title of New York City’s tallest roof — in itself, hardly a measure of deference towards One World Trade. And given the fact that 217 West 57th Street was planned to be the city’s tallest as of last summer, it is apparent there was never any consideration of “respect” for the WTC, not that there should be, as it was value-engineered beyond any symbolic merit.
Source

tl:dr:

- Extell posted no information on there webside and on side

- The rendering shows a shorter pinnacle than 1,795ft (more in line with the 1,775 ft design)

- Documents show a 'pinnacle' hight (probably meaning top of the parapet) of 1,515ft (15 ft shorter than the design of June 2014)

- Plans and especially the height of the spire could still vary in the future

Last edited by Torch; May 14th, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #6154

Likes (Received): 368

THAT IS JUST FUTURE PROOF, NY postcard all over that.
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #6155
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Awesome!

Nice work, Yimby!!

Extell's rendering is BS though bec, to my knowledge, 220 CPS will be directly in front of it, but for the cantilever. This makes it look like 220 is entirely to the west. Nonetheless, this looks great!

Old May 14th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #6156
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Awesome!

Nice work, Yimby!!

Extell's rendering is BS though bec, to my knowledge, 220 CPS will be directly in front of it, but for the cantilever. This makes it look like 220 is entirely to the west. Nonetheless, this looks great!

This POV is from the far northeast corner of Sheep Meadow so it may well be correct. Keep in mind that 220 CPS is on the southwestern corner of its plot and Nordstrom is on the northeastern corner of its plot. So it looks like they're maximizing use of the best angle in this rendering, but 220 CPS will block its view as seen from Central Park more and more the farther you walk west from that vantage point.

Last edited by SMCYB; May 14th, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #6157
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

also note the reflection on the facade, indicating that from a western perspective, 220 CPS would obscure most of Nordstrom's lower portion.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #6158
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Awesome!

Nice work, Yimby!!

Extell's rendering is BS though bec, to my knowledge, 220 CPS will be directly in front of it, but for the cantilever. This makes it look like 220 is entirely to the west.
The 950-foot tower portion of 220 CPS will be just to the right of Nordstrom Tower when viewed from Central Park. The western edge of 217 W 57th will line up with the eastern edge of 220 CPS.

The portion of 220 CPS directly in front of Nordstrom tower will be the 200-250 foot-tall portion of 220 CPS.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #6159
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4479

That does look incredibly futuristic! I'm still in awe over the cantilever! Wow!

Also it's as though theyve added 220 in there as though they're trying to down market the tower with how small it looks I'm comparison

Looking forward to watch these 2 rise side by side though ( well almost)

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #6160
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

the future is here! I still hope they stick a big LED "N" up top for Nordstrom and NYC!

seb.nl, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall