daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #6161
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
The 950-foot tower portion of 220 CPS will be just to the right of Nordstrom Tower when viewed from Central Park. The western edge of 217 W 57th will line up with the eastern edge of 220 CPS.

The portion of 220 CPS directly in front of Nordstrom tower will be the 200-250 foot-tall portion of 220 CPS.
The small part of 220 CPS, which is actually on CPS is not only short, but it sits on a very small footprint. I think that the Main portion of 220 CPS will be basically on front of Nordstrom.

esb_ny liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #6162
mjmoney23

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
The small part of 220 CPS, which is actually on CPS is not only short, but it sits on a very small footprint. I think that the Main portion of 220 CPS will be basically on front of Nordstrom.

I could be wrong but thought the opposite. Wasn't Extell holding up 220 since it owned a garage? I figured the deal struck would be that the tower (220) wouldn't block Nordstroms view of the park. Again, I could be totally off base, but that seems logical.
mjmoney23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #6163
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
the future is here! I still hope they stick a big LED "N" up top for Nordstrom and NYC!
Oh lord, keep that in Times Square and Shanghai.

sundrop74 liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #6164
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmoney23 View Post
I could be wrong but thought the opposite. Wasn't Extell holding up 220 since it owned a garage? I figured the deal struck would be that the tower (220) wouldn't block Nordstroms view of the park. Again, I could be totally off base, but that seems logical.
The cantilever was needed bec the first 950' of 220 blocks N's view of the park.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #6165
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22511

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Oh lord, keep that in Times Square and Shanghai.
right, because there's nothing at all like that outside times square.

Old May 14th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #6166
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Nice! I'm really happy with the height. Would have preferred 1530' but 1515' will do just fine. The skyline will be amazing and I'm really happy what I had seen so far for this tower. Looking forward to this, 220 CPS, Verre and the Steinway rising. Great times indeed.

I hope someone can photoshop the Steinway in this rendering below.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster, iamtheSTIG, msquaredb, Sechou liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #6167
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
You're absolutely right. 220 CPS will definitely block some part of Nordstrom. In fact if you look at the rendering you can clearly see that 220CPS is not aligned the same way One57 and Nordstrom are. "Good" job Extell.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #6168
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I know some have expressed disappointment with the overall design especially compared to Steinway and Verre, but I think it makes perfect sense with an elegant, soaring design with modern and classic references. I certainly don't say it's the best design but it's still a very good one and compared to the original massings and renderings will turn out so much better! Whatever the spire brings the ultimate height to, 1775 ft or taller at least I know it will be anywhere between 1,515 ft-1,530 ft to the parapet and the tallest residential/office tower in the Western Hemisphere(not going to count CN Tower in Toronto), so I'm good!

Vertical_Gotham, onewtclover liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #6169
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Completely agree. I think the final product will be class and the 1,515' height is needed to make the Nordstrom stand out which will allow Barnett to eventually command the $4.4 B he is seeking.

Barnett aiming for record $4.4B sellout at Nordstrom tower $2.8B sale of the General Motors Building is the priciest to date
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/05/....MukDXiUG.dpuf

Quote:
With the Nordstrom Tower, Gary Barnett is aiming to set the world record for priciest building ever sold — a total $4.4 billion sellout. The figure was revealed in filings written in Hebrew on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange — where Extell Development recently issued $300 million in debt — according to the Wall Street Journal. The building is referred to as “Central Park Tower” in the filings. Extell plans to make about $4 billion from condo sales and $400 million from selling the base of the tower to Nordstrom.

The projections are, of course, subject to market conditions. If anywhere near $4.4 billion in sales is achieved, it would be the priciest sellout for a single building ever. The most expensive sale of a single building to date is $2.8 billion for the General Motors building to Boston Properties. Vornado Realty Trust’s residential tower 220 Central Park South is hoping for a $2.7 billion sellout. The profit from the newly dubbed Central Park Tower is also slated to be a massive $2 billion, compared to One57’s $1 billion. While Extell only owns 12 percent of One57, it owns 87 percent of the Central Park Tower site. -

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #6170
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Whatever the spire brings the ultimate height to, 1775 ft or taller at least I know it will be anywhere between 1,515 ft-1,530 ft to the parapet and the tallest residential/office tower in the Western Hemisphere(not going to count CN Tower in Toronto), so I'm good!
In the world not in the hemisphere
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #6171
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3319

It looks nice from that angle.
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #6172
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
You're absolutely right. 220 CPS will definitely block some part of Nordstrom. In fact if you look at the rendering you can clearly see that 220CPS is not aligned the same way One57 and Nordstrom are. "Good" job Extell.
No, the rendering is not cheating, as seen from from that angle, 220 CPS will not block Nordstrom. Look at the graphic I made with the footprint of the towers. In the case of 220 CPS, the red square indicates the aproximate footprint at the lower levels,. The green lines indicates, the footprint in the upper half portion of the tower, above a setback there is a bit bellow the middle of the tower. So, in the upper half of 220 CPS, its eastern facade will be about aligned with the western facade of Nordstrom. Directly across the street from Nordstrom Tower, there will be the access plaza of 220 CPS.

If you see the towers in an angle more to the east, such as in the case of this rendering, a gap within the towers will appear (blue lines) But au contraire, as you move west, 220 CPS will obscure Nordstrom, so, if seen from the Upper West Side, 220 CPS will indeed block Nordstrom (and the view of the Upper West Side will be blocked by 220 CPS as seen from Nordstrom) but from the Upper East Side, it will not.

The Cantilever serves to improve the view. It avoids the area in the northwest corner that could be blocked by 220 CPS, and helps making most of the park is at view on the the northeast corner.

For 220 is also a benefit, since improves views of the southern facade.

Old May 14th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #6173
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
right, because there's nothing at all like that outside times square.
Touchy. I mean... touché.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #6174
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Barnett's machinations regarding the parking garage lease (and a parcel he owned within the current footprint of 220 CPS site at 225 W 58th Street) gave him leverage over Vornado, which he used to extract $194 million and an agreement that the tall tower of 220 CPS would be built in the western portion of Vornado's lot, so as not to block Park views from 217 W 57th. This means that the "annex", which is only expected to be about 14 stories high, will be built directly in front of Nordstrom Tower. Only a modest portion of the southwestern corner of Central Park will be obstructed by the 220 CPS tower.

I wonder what Vornado's tower would have looked like of it had been built in the actual plot of 220 CPS.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #6175
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
57th street is now really Americas most dense Billionaires Row.
well, the Calvary church next door to Carnegie 57 is also in play by Extell. I'd hate to see this building gone, but it seems this 57 street is becoming a new 5th avenue of 21 sentury

Extell Possibly Planning Another Luxury Tower At 123 West 57th Street, Midtown
http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/05/exte...t-midtown.html

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #6176
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
well, the Calvary church next door to Carnegie 57 is also in play by Extell. I'd hate to see this building gone, but it seems this 57 street is becoming a new 5th avenue of 21 sentury

Extell Possibly Planning Another Luxury Tower At 123 West 57th Street, Midtown
http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/05/exte...t-midtown.html
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Extell has planned for its 8th avenue site just outside of Times Square. That could potentially be epic and hopefully spur new development in a much-needed area of Midtown.

SMCYB, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #6177
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Extell has planned for its 8th avenue site just outside of Times Square. That could potentially be epic and hopefully spur new development in a much-needed area of Midtown.
I am as well!

citybooster liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #6178
lsg97

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Nice! I'm really happy with the height. Would have preferred 1530' but 1515' will do just fine. The skyline will be amazing and I'm really happy what I had seen so far for this tower. Looking forward to this, 220 CPS, Verre and the Steinway rising. Great times indeed.

I hope someone can photoshop the Steinway in this rendering below.

This is just so impressive - five years ago what one would see looking at that angle is Carnegie Hall tower, Cityspire center, etc... in just a couple of years those will have "disappeared"
lsg97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #6179

Likes (Received): 368

Maybe someone could shop Steinway in that photo?
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #6180
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Great job Marshall!
I notice some people praising the futuristic look of Nordstrom, I think that applies more to Steinway, it looks like something out of Star Wars.
Nordstrom looks so 2015 compared to its masterpiece neighbor.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall