daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #6241
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
I feel the pit in those pictures above would make an awesome multiplayer map in a first person shooter.
I miss Call of Duty UO multiplayer
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #6242
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Via NYT this am.

Great Job Yimby & Otie! You just gave me my new desktop wall paper.

On the Midtown Skyline, a Race to the Clouds:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/31...html?referrer=

Quote:
The race to the sky has kicked into high gear in Midtown Manhattan, where a new round of luxury skyscrapers aimed at multimillionaires is on the rise in and around West 57th Street. If all goes according to the developers’ plans — and the market cooperates — the towers will climb to new heights in just a few years, setting price records, casting long shadows over Central Park and significantly altering the city’s skyline.

A rendering from New York Yimby, a pro-development website that tracks construction in New York City, shows what the skyline might look like, circa 2018, from Sheep Meadow in Central Park. The graphic, created by Jose Hernandez, the site’s architectural illustrator, focuses on six towers south of Central Park. While revisions could still be made to buildings that are under development, the silhouettes offer an idea of what those buildings might look like, based on renderings, Department of Buildings filings and other schematics obtained by the website, said Nikolai Fedak, the founder and editor of New York Yimby, an acronym that stands for Yes in My Back Yard, a play on the more familiar Nimby (Not in My Back Yard).

One57, a 1,004-foot tower that was completed last year by the Extell Development Company, was the first of the “supertalls” along West 57th Street. (In January, it also broke the record for the highest price ever paid for a single residence in New York City, when a duplex penthouse there closed for $100.47 million.)

Now Extell is aiming higher, with plans to build the tallest residential structure in the Western Hemisphere at a site down the block, 217 West 57th Street. East of Broadway, between 57th and 58th Streets, the building is to cantilever over an 1890s landmark, the Art Students League of New York, rising to at least 1,500 feet, if not higher. A spokeswoman for the developer denied reports speculating that the building might top the 1,776-foot pinnacle of 1 World Trade Center, but declined to confirm the final height.

The tower, designed by Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill Architecture, is known as Central Park Tower, or the Nordstrom Tower, as its base is expected to house the city’s first full-line Nordstrom department store. Prices have not yet been set, but the building is projected to generate some $4.4 billion in total sales proceeds, according to filings written in Hebrew on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.

Too many trophy apartments hitting the market simultaneously could quash those prospects. But for now, developers are optimistic.

Across the street, construction work has just reached ground level at 220 Central Park South, Vornado Realty Trust’s high-end condominium designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, but buyers have already snapped up about a third of the 118 units, representing $1.1 billion in commitments. The deals were signed within six weeks of the quiet opening of sales “to a limited audience,” said Vornado’s chief executive, Steven Roth, in an earnings call earlier this month. Prices are on the rise for the remaining units, which will be housed in a 950-foot limestone tower and an adjacent 10-unit “villa.”

Thierry W. Despont, whose résumé includes the restoration of the Statue of Liberty, is responsible for the interiors. The least expensive apartment, a 2,394-square-foot two-bedroom on the 22nd floor, is listed at $12.25 million, according to the offering plan. The most expensive is a $100 million penthouse of more than 9,500 square feet. Some units, including a duplex on the 50th floor and the top penthouse, do not yet have price tags.

Meanwhile, foundation work is underway at 111 West 57th Street on a condo tower and conversion of the landmark Steinway Hall building by the JDS Development Group and the Property Markets Group. Designed by ShoP Architects, with terra-cotta panels and bronze latticework on the east and west facades, the condominium will rise 1,421 feet in a series of “feathered setbacks,” according to the firm.

Glass curtain walls along the north and south will offer sweeping Central Park and Midtown Manhattan views. Sixty apartments designed by Studio Sofield are planned, with 46 in the tower and 14 in the Steinway building. Sales are expected to begin later this year, with prices starting at $14 million.

Roughly five blocks south, at 53 West 53rd Street, Hines, Goldman Sachs and the Pontiac Land Group of Singapore hope to make their mark on the skyline with an asymmetrical 1,050-foot-high tower by Jean Nouvel. The condominium is designed to connect to the Museum of Modern Art, with three floors of gallery space at its base, and to taper as it rises. Mr. Despont is also designing the interiors of the tower’s 140 condominiums.

The sales gallery opened earlier this month above Bergdorf Goodman Men’s Store, at 745 Fifth Avenue, with an elaborate model apartment displaying both interior and exterior elements. Prices are expected to range from around $3 million (for studios) to more than $70 million.

For now, though, 432 Park Avenue, between 56th and 57th Streets, stands out against the skyline. Designed by Rafael Viñoly, it is for the time being, anyway, the tallest residential tower not just along the 57th Street corridor, but in the Western Hemisphere. Developed by the CIM Group and Macklowe Properties, the building topped out last year at 1,396 feet. More than half of its 104 units are in contract, for roughly $1 billion in potential sales, including a $95 million penthouse. Those still available range in price from $16.95 million to $82.5 million. Closings are expected to begin this fall, with residents moving in shortly thereafter.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 29th, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #6243
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Fantastic rendering! I repeat... fantastic.

I thought it looked a little skewed in favor of Nordstrom in terms of height, so I unskewed it a little.

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #6244
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 892

OMG the shadows!!!

ophizer liked this post
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #6245
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
OMG the shadows!!!

I realize you're trying to be clever, but please stop.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #6246
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Fantastic rendering! I repeat... fantastic.

I thought it looked a little skewed in favor of Nordstrom in terms of height, so I unskewed it a little.

It certainly looks better. Though I have to say it's not accurate. The photograph was taken from a western area of lower Central Park (Sheep Meadows), which is relatively close to the towers. As a result, the foreground elements near the edges will inevitably get skewed (specially if these are big elements, i.e. 217 W 57th).

Perspective is an interesting phenomenon.

edit: Forgot to say, thanks for the review.

Last edited by Otie; May 30th, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #6247
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Welcome to the future!
Fortunately the towers are not as bulky and utilitarian as depicted in former scifi films of the past forty years lol

onewtclover liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #6248
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2373

Is this what they said was going to be an 80 feet deep pit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #6249
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I don't write anything around here anymore, but I do read daily and I have to say, Otie and Nikolai, what you two are doing is stunning!
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #6250
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22507

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
Is this what they said was going to be an 80 feet deep pit?
they've been building vertically for several months by now. It might have been 80 ft deep.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:42 PM   #6251
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22507

Old June 1st, 2015, 12:08 AM   #6252
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
I don't write anything around here anymore, but I do read daily and I have to say, Otie and Nikolai, what you two are doing is stunning!
Thank you & much appreciated!!!

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

BlueBright, citybooster liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 11:51 PM   #6253
Vertical_Gotham

Per DOB as of 5/28/2015:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES025055572

1494’ = Perimeter wall height
95 = Floors
183 = Units

Sched A filed on 5/27/2015:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES414759637

McSky liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:51 AM   #6254
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

^ Oh come on, just break the 1,500' mark ffs ... This feels even worse than 432 PA with its 1,397' ...

EDIT: Perimeter wall height could be to the highest occupied floor, so Nordstrom could still break 1,500'. And the floors count is now 95, potentially good news.

Last edited by hunser; June 2nd, 2015 at 02:28 AM.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:45 AM   #6255
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Yeah, come on...get this baby 1,515ft like we were hearing before...if you're this close to 1,500 ft to the roof, go for it! Only Related with its ever changing HY1 is more frustrating than Extell!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:50 AM   #6256
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

I'm assuming that is not counting the parapet. 1494ft to roof seems pretty accurate with the most recent render with a 1530ft parapet.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:01 AM   #6257
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ Oh come on, just break the 1,500' mark ffs ... This feels even worse than 432 PA with its 1,397' ...

EDIT: Perimeter wall height could be to the highest occupied floor, so Nordstrom could still break 1,500'. And the floors count is now 95, potentially good news.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:24 AM   #6258
Vertical_Gotham

I agree, with the Parapet it's possible the roof height could even exceed 1530' & could even be close to 1,550'. Yes sir I believe it!!

Let's use One57 for example. The perimeter wall height listed in the dob application was 953' and we all know that the final height for the tower ultimately became 1,005'

One57
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...18&requestid=3

Hudson11, citybooster, hunser liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; June 2nd, 2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:20 PM   #6259
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I agree, with the Parapet it's possible the roof height could even exceed 1530' & could even be close to 1,550'. Yes sir I believe it!!

Let's use One57 for example. The perimeter wall height listed in the dob application was 953' and we all know that the final height for the tower ultimately became 1,005'

One57
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...18&requestid=3
I agree, and the floor count is now 95 - another indicator of a (slight) height boost.

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #6260
durukandevrim

Likes (Received): 1

oh wow..
durukandevrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall