daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #6301
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

That's old news, we don't actually know yet, Barnett might be bluffing.

In any case the whole idea of keeping it below 1776 is just so stupid I want to punch something.

Tommy Boy liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #6302
trustevil

Likes (Received): 386

Lol @punching something... Punch barnett for being a douche about the official height. Its sad that china has multiple skyscrapers above 1500 ft completed or u/c while the u.s. has what two? Maybe three if you count that antennae on 1wtc as an actual building height. But then again america doesnt have a billion ppl so that could be another factor. But heres to hoping this thing rises above that bogus "gentlemans agreement" b.s.
trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #6303
JezNY

Likes (Received): 5

If Nordstrom gets to 1775 feet they should definitely make it the extra push to make it higher than 1776 feet Not going over 1776 feet would be kind of lame. Nordstrom tower will be much higher by 1wtc anyway by all practical purposes i.e, roof height. 1wtc's roof height is only 1368 feet high. Nordstrom will have much higher roof height. I'm excited for this tower! I hope they make it a bit higher than 1776 feet but we shall see for now I'm just following the progress & looking forward to it rising skyward!
JezNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #6304
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
Lol @punching something... Punch barnett for being a douche about the official height. Its sad that china has multiple skyscrapers above 1500 ft completed or u/c while the u.s. has what two? Maybe three if you count that antennae on 1wtc as an actual building height. But then again america doesnt have a billion ppl so that could be another factor. But heres to hoping this thing rises above that bogus "gentlemans agreement" b.s.
Of the twelve projects in China over 1,500 feet, seven have an American architect, three have a European (two British), and only two have Chinese designers (both of whom work for American architecture firms). These ratios continue for proposed and under construction towers.

China is riding the mother of all property bubbles. Just because they're building a lot of tall skyscrapers doesn't mean a: they're doing anything but paying for them, or b: it's a sustainable trend.

Half a mile outside Pudong, Shanghai is like Blade Runner. A blasted hellscape of endless tower blocks. The same is true of all major Chinese cities. Sprawl as far as the eye can see. Smog, traffic, pollution, overcrowding.

One big shiny tower doesn't put China above the US when it comes to architecture, any more than a giant needle in the desert puts Dubai on the same level either. We've passed the point where 1500 ft is an engineering challenge. It's just vertical money now, and China would rather spend theirs on impressive skyscrapers than, I dunno, civil rights or the environment.

Miami High Rise, Philly Bud liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #6305
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

I like modern design glass and steel towers. I have no biased for any country however I like dubai a lot because of the amount of glass towers there are in Dubai. I also like Hong Kong for the same reason and I am starting to love New York.

enrigue8 liked this post
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #6306
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
This tower has gone from what I thought was going to be a cancelled proposal to my favorite tower in Manhattan.

I agree with you.

the other day I happened to read a post about how would the skyline midtown area would look like in a few years time and I noticed this tower,that I only had read about it.

Now that I have read and informed better, and I've seen how it will be and how will stay on the skyline and specifically near central park, I'm delighted. the building is impressive, and will be majestic seen from central park. It is one of those buildings that are magnificent to see from outside and from within. I dare say that will be the Empire State Building of the central park area.because this tower has something I do not know what, that distinguishes it, absolutely, form those other towers around it, whether higher or lower. Of course, it will be the queen of the towers. I love the project, I love it. the tower, I repeat, is majestic, awesome, and beautiful, very elegant, it is undoubtedly the icon of the area, no doubt.
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #6307
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Simply, a real jewel, a beautiful tower.

ExCaliBourBG, Sechou liked this post
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #6308
JezNY

I can't decide which I like the best! New York will always be my favorite in terms of skyscrapers because it just has that romantic classic feel that no city in China can match Nordstrom Tower, 432 Park, or 111 West 57th! I like them all they are going to compliment each other nicely when finished. I love 111 west's art deco look, & 432 Park's simple cube design, & Nordstrom's height & sleekness. Anyone know which will be completed first, 111 57th or Nordstrom?
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #6309
trustevil

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Of the twelve projects in China over 1,500 feet, seven have an American architect, three have a European (two British), and only two have Chinese designers (both of whom work for American architecture firms). These ratios continue for proposed and under construction towers.

China is riding the mother of all property bubbles. Just because they're building a lot of tall skyscrapers doesn't mean a: they're doing anything but paying for them, or b: it's a sustainable trend.

Half a mile outside Pudong, Shanghai is like Blade Runner. A blasted hellscape of endless tower blocks. The same is true of all major Chinese cities. Sprawl as far as the eye can see. Smog, traffic, pollution, overcrowding.

One big shiny tower doesn't put China above the US when it comes to architecture, any more than a giant needle in the desert puts Dubai on the same level either. We've passed the point where 1500 ft is an engineering challenge. It's just vertical money now, and China would rather spend theirs on impressive skyscrapers than, I dunno, civil rights or the environment.
I was merely stating facts guy, not a patriot myself even though im American im not favoriting one city over another, new york has a great skyline but so does shanghai and dubai and hong kong its all a matter of perspective! Now ive only been to new york but id love to see the cities that i mentioned. As for sprawl and urban wasteland blues etc etc. los angeles has the ghettos the slums the smog not much difference only the human rights aspect. Even detroit half the city is jacked up crack houses littered everywhere, camden nj where im from like that too, theres shotty places all over the world my friend.
trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #6310
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezNY View Post
I can't decide which I like the best! Nordstrom Tower, 432 Park, or 111 West 57th! I like them all they are going to compliment each other nicely when finished. I love 111 west's art deco look, & 432 Park's simple cube design, & Nordstrom's height & sleekness. Anyone know which will be completed first, 111 57th or Nordstrom?
If I had to guess, probably 111 57th because of it's crazy slimness and it's a little bit shorter.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #6311
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

I think I will love both Nordstrom and 111 west 57th st, Hudson Yards and Tower Verre. 432 Park avenue is decent and 2 wtc is a BIG load of garbage.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #6312
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

Nordstorm tower is so beautiful
I prefer it over a lot of building in us.
A lot of building in us are boxy building without beauty.
This one is Long glass skyscraper with a great beauty
It will be jewel for the city.
New york need it.

enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #6313
JezNY

Nordstrom is going to be so cool I am really looking forward to it. Midtown is where it's at now! I really adore 111west's art deco design too it's a perfect blend of 1930s plus contemporary. Thank god we have these to take our minds off 2wtc
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #6314
Gro▀feld

Likes (Received): 14

Probably one of the best high rise ever! A real beauty :-)
Gro▀feld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #6315
DEsl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
I was merely stating facts guy, not a patriot myself even though im American im not favoriting one city over another, new york has a great skyline but so does shanghai and dubai and hong kong its all a matter of perspective! Now ive only been to new york but id love to see the cities that i mentioned. As for sprawl and urban wasteland blues etc etc. los angeles has the ghettos the slums the smog not much difference only the human rights aspect. Even detroit half the city is jacked up crack houses littered everywhere, camden nj where im from like that too, theres shotty places all over the world my friend.
going off topic but

There is a difference between China and Los Angeles, You don't breathe a lot of of carbon and other particles in US enough to turn your lungs black.

check this video out if you haven't (warning may not be suitable for guys with a light heart )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM

China is not that great

Last edited by DEsl; June 13th, 2015 at 04:46 AM.
DEsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #6316
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I see Nordstrom as the perfect complement to the art as building Tower Verre and Steinway.. big, bold, classy, elegant, proud.. definitely fits New York City! It may be more conservative but the combination of the bold of the others and classically handsome Nordstrom brings variety and excitement to the skyline.. then you have 432 Park nearby, 220 Central Park South literally right across the street... Prk Lane and 31 W57th at least.... striking set of towers that will redefine the center of Manhattan.

(: liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #6317
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Soon enough 432 will be the third tallest on the block, and One57 not even in the top 5!

Oh NYC...
One57 is already out of the top 5.

1WTC
ESB
BOA
Chrysler
NYTT
One57

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #6318
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Please tell me we have at least one woman in this forum.
Yeah, there are several, but I'd never disclose their usernames out of fear of desperate guys on SSC harassing them.

SMCYB, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #6319
DEsl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Yeah, there are several, but I'd never disclose their usernames out of fear of desperate guys on SSC harassing them.
Lets see how many get banned for that
DEsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #6320
Radio Raheem
Fight the power!

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
One57 is already out of the top 5.

1WTC
ESB
BOA
Chrysler
NYTT
One57
He said 'on the block'

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall