daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #6321
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech
 
L.A.F.2.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,406
Likes (Received): 5307

My mistake.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #6322
LadyAmanita
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 448
Likes (Received): 236

Female here, lol! And yes, I am looking forward to seeing this tower go up!
__________________

L.A.F.2., Munwon, SMCYB liked this post
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #6323
Vertical_Gotham
Registered User
 
Vertical_Gotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,437
Likes (Received): 6488

Well, Hello there!
__________________
-------------------------



Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #6324
600West218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1574

Cranes still not mounted. Looks like they have two crane sites and hopefully both of them will be used all along. This seems to be dragging out. I am even hoping they will be mounting the cranes today taking advantage of Sunday mornings lull in traffic.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #6325
wilfred267
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 72

NEW HEIGHT CONFIRMATION!

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/06/new-...rom-tower.html
__________________
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #6326
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend
 
Assemblage23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GDL
Posts: 4,903
Likes (Received): 8068



462 meters to the parapet
__________________


Wichtige ─nderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #6327
CCs77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred267 View Post
That information has been published here since june 9th, by Hunser.

I am reposting his post, that includes the link to the PDF with all that information, for the ones that missed it then. The document was made by a firm of consulting structural engineers that evaluated the structure and has many details.

I also repost my own post of that date, that includes the chart with the detail of height for all the floors, and some floor diagrams (there are more on the PDF document)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES439710582

The document says 95 floors!

96-roof: 1493.67 ft / 455,27 m.
Top/Parapet: 1521.83 ft / 463,85 m.


Gentlemen, we have a new tallest in the U.S.!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Oddly, nobody has commented about this.


Here's the list of floors on that document (there's also floor diagrams for all the lower floors)

According to this list, the roof will be 1493.67 ft / 455,27 m and the top of the parapet 1521.83 ft / 463,85 m. as Hunser already said.

Other information provided by that document, the cantilever apparently will begin at the floor labeled as 12th, 316.42 / 96.45m. above the street.

Also notice how some floors are extremelly high, such as the 8th and 11th floors, each almost 24 ft / 7.3 m high. And the floors 10 and 10.5 (yes 10.5, meaning there are 96 floors) are a whoping 57 ft / 17.4 m high!!!

The height of the floors on the tower vary, most seem to be about 12-13 ft high, with some reaching 18 ft.

The higher residential floor could be the 92nd, at 1394.67 ft / 425 m above the street.






__________________

WillBuild, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #6328
wilfred267
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 72

Thanks CCs77
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #6329
Vortex2354
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 9

Question, what would be the tallest building possible in Manhattan, regardless of FAA limits, assuming it was built with legitimate air rights and FAR and had the square footage? What sites could support this?
Vortex2354 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #6330
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex2354 View Post
Question, what would be the tallest building possible in Manhattan, regardless of FAA limits, assuming it was built with legitimate air rights and FAR and had the square footage? What sites could support this?
The FAA limit is 2000 feet (610 meters) but with special permission it can be broken.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #6331
Vortex2354
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The FAA limit is 2000 feet (610 meters) but with special permission it can be broken.
Yeah so assume that a special permit is granted, are there any sites in Manhattan then that could allow for a 2000 foot building, or a 2500 foot building, or even higher?
Vortex2354 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #6332
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,593
Likes (Received): 28159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post


462 meters to the parapet
awesome!
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #6333
MarshallKnight
Registered User
 
MarshallKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: From the Bay to L.A.
Posts: 2,340
Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex2354 View Post
Yeah so assume that a special permit is granted, are there any sites in Manhattan then that could allow for a 2000 foot building, or a 2500 foot building, or even higher?
I don't have an exact answer for you, but we can piece together a few bits of information.

-- Disregarding special exceptions, development rights are governed by Floor-Area Ratio (FAR), which changes depending on which zoning area you're looking at. If the old version of the Midtown East Rezoning proposal included a few blocks that have an FAR of 24:1. So if you had a parcel 1000 sq. feet in size, you could build a 24,000 sq. foot development on it.

-- Transfer of development rights is (generally) limited to contiguous parcels within a single city block. So theoretically, the largest parcel is a full city block. The average city block in NYC is 264 x 900 feet, or 237,600 sq. feet.

So if some developer managed to piece together a parcel the size of a full city block development, in an area with the maximum FAR, you could have 24 x 237,600 sq. feet -- or ~ 5,702,400 sq. feet.

That is an incredibly massive amount. The floor area of Burj Khalifa is ~3,331,100 sq. ft. Shanghai Tower is ~4,090,300 sq. ft. And one figure for Kingdom Tower, the U/C next world's tallest, puts the total buildable (a related, but different figure) at 5,704,873 sq. ft... which is weirdly close to our figure above.

Using those as comps, you can see that a developer could theoretically build as high or even higher than any of those. Even half that amount could yield a 2000-footer, but something approaching the 5-6 Million square foot mark could, with enough engineering prowess, be built well above a kilometer.
__________________

(:, onewtclover, sweet-d, WillBuild, sbarn liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #6334
King of Construction
skyscraperized
 
King of Construction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kelpen-Oler
Posts: 801
Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
That information has been published here since june 9th, by Hunser.

I am reposting his post, that includes the link to the PDF with all that information, for the ones that missed it then. The document was made by a firm of consulting structural engineers that evaluated the structure and has many details.

I also repost my own post of that date, that includes the chart with the detail of height for all the floors, and some floor diagrams (there are more on the PDF document)
When you look at that floorlist is says "height above level 1".
Doesn't that mean that they start the count from the top of level 1 which in many cases is the heighest floor to ceiling elevation in a building?

If this is correct let's assume floor 1 is at least 25 feet, means the actual parapet height would be 1547' or to make it easy 1550 feet = 472 meters .
__________________
As finishing touch, God created the Dutch

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #6335
Vortex2354
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I don't have an exact answer for you, but we can piece together a few bits of information.

-- Disregarding special exceptions, development rights are governed by Floor-Area Ratio (FAR), which changes depending on which zoning area you're looking at. If the old version of the Midtown East Rezoning proposal included a few blocks that have an FAR of 24:1. So if you had a parcel 1000 sq. feet in size, you could build a 24,000 sq. foot development on it.

-- Transfer of development rights is (generally) limited to contiguous parcels within a single city block. So theoretically, the largest parcel is a full city block. The average city block in NYC is 264 x 900 feet, or 237,600 sq. feet.

So if some developer managed to piece together a parcel the size of a full city block development, in an area with the maximum FAR, you could have 24 x 237,600 sq. feet -- or ~ 5,702,400 sq. feet.

That is an incredibly massive amount. The floor area of Burj Khalifa is ~3,331,100 sq. ft. Shanghai Tower is ~4,090,300 sq. ft. And one figure for Kingdom Tower, the U/C next world's tallest, puts the total buildable (a related, but different figure) at 5,704,873 sq. ft... which is weirdly close to our figure above.

Using those as comps, you can see that a developer could theoretically build as high or even higher than any of those. Even half that amount could yield a 2000-footer, but something approaching the 5-6 Million square foot mark could, with enough engineering prowess, be built well above a kilometer.
Wow!!! Fascinating analysis, thanks a lot! Hopefully one day we will see that. I know this was slightly off topic but it got me thinking since Nordstrom will be the new tallest to roof in the city. Thanks again!
Vortex2354 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #6336
trustevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 527
Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
When you look at that floorlist is says "height above level 1".
Doesn't that mean that they start the count from the top of level 1 which in many cases is the heighest floor to ceiling elevation in a building?

If this is correct let's assume floor 1 is at least 25 feet, means the actual parapet height would be 1547' or to make it easy 1550 feet = 472 meters .
Although that might be think about it for a second... They said above level one but also gave the figure of the height of the parapet which was 1521' so in my assumption level 1 could be considered sub street level like the basement. Im not sayin that as fact but its something to consider.
trustevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #6337
McSky
Registered User
 
McSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 708
Likes (Received): 1875

This building will make a huge impact on the Manhattan skyline, as the top of the parapet will stand slightly over 1600 feet above sea level.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #6338
LadyAmanita
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 448
Likes (Received): 236

I have to admit, I'm really liking the design of this tower. I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous when it's finished!
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #6339
CCs77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
When you look at that floorlist is says "height above level 1".
Doesn't that mean that they start the count from the top of level 1 which in many cases is the heighest floor to ceiling elevation in a building?

If this is correct let's assume floor 1 is at least 25 feet, means the actual parapet height would be 1547' or to make it easy 1550 feet = 472 meters .
The height is above the ground floor or level 1, measured from the "floor of the ground floor" the botom of it, not the top, in other words from the street level, from the sidewalk, which is roughly leveled with the ground floor (it may be elevated or depressed from the sidewalk, but not by much, just a few feet)
If you look at the chart, the elevation of floor 1 above floor 1, is "0", that is the floor.
So, the building would be 1521.83 ft to the parapet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustevil View Post
Although that might be think about it for a second... They said above level one but also gave the figure of the height of the parapet which was 1521' so in my assumption level 1 could be considered sub street level like the basement. Im not sayin that as fact but its something to consider.
Level 1 is not a basement level. If you read the PDF document, there are plans of these levels:

subcellar 2
subcellar 1
cellar
ground floor
2nd floor
3rd-4th floors
5th floor
6th floor
7th floor
8th floor
10th floor
12th floor

So, ground floor = level 1, and the height is measured from the bottom of it (sidewalk level)
Also, that chart shows wind loads, obviously there are none on the basement levels.
__________________

King of Construction liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #6340
Riley1066
Registered User
 
Riley1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES439710582

The document says 95 floors!

96-roof: 1493.67 ft / 455,27 m.
Top/Parapet: 1521.83 ft / 463,85 m.


Gentlemen, we have a new tallest in the U.S.!

How is 1521 feet taller than 1776 feet??
Riley1066 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu