daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #6381
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Central Park Tower? What kind of name is Central Park Tower? Nordstrom Tower sounds way better. Maybe they're trying to make the name similar to "Empire State Building" to make it sound more iconic.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #6382
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

I think Nordstrom sounds stronger (maybe it's because of it's germanic roots) and Central Park Tower a more generic.
Empire State Building has the same formular as the latter, but the word empire symbolizes strength and power. Much fitting for a world tallest building. And more: when hearing 'empire state' you think more of the ESB than the State NY the words represents.

But at this early stage, I think we get use to 'Cental Park Tower' very quickly.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #6383
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Lol "Central Park Tower," how arrogant. Even though "Nordstrom Tower" is basically corporate branding, it would have at least continued a legacy of towers named after companies (the GM Building, Sony Building, etc).

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #6384
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

It is very unlikely that the developer would oficially name the tower after the store that happens to be at its base. After all, the developer has nothing to do with Nordstrom other than leasing or selling the podium of the building to them. and the store end up being Nordstrom, but could've any other, so it wont use that name.

If the tower were actually developed by Nordstrom, it could've bear its own name, but it is not the case. And it could happen that the stores moves to another location after 15 or 20 years, or that the chain get bankrupt, or that it change the name, so tying the name to a company the developer has not control whatsoever, would be illogical.

That doesn't mean that the tower could unoficially be called as Nordstrom by the people, but not oficially.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #6385
hateman

Likes (Received): 1796

I always preferred the name Nerdstorm Tower, since this is a tower only skyscraper nerds could love.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #6386
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
It is very unlikely that the developer would oficially name the tower after the store that happens to be at its base. After all, the developer has nothing to do with Nordstrom other than leasing or selling the podium of the building to them. and the store end up being Nordstrom, but could've any other, so it wont use that name.

If the tower were actually developed by Nordstrom, it could've bear its own name, but it is not the case. And it could happen that the stores moves to another location after 15 or 20 years, or that the chain get bankrupt, or that it change the name, so tying the name to a company the developer has not control whatsoever, would be illogical.

That doesn't mean that the tower could unoficially be called as Nordstrom by the people, but not oficially.

Some of the time a tower of this magnitude will have naming rights, that are generally offered for sale, first to the anchor tenant. Naming rights to a tower are usually signed for the same amount of time as the lease or longer. A perfect example would be the Sears(now Willis) Tower. It remained Sears for many years after Sears left, and will probably go through another name change within 10 years or less.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #6387
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Some of the time a tower of this magnitude will have naming rights, that are generally offered for sale, first to the anchor tenant. Naming rights to a tower are usually signed for the same amount of time as the lease or longer. A perfect example would be the Sears(now Willis) Tower. It remained Sears for many years after Sears left, and will probably go through another name change within 10 years or less.
Yes, but that happens with office buildings, this is a residential building. I can tell there isn't any residential building that has sold its naming rights, but I can't think of any. If it did has happened, it is something extremely rare.

For Residential buildings they usually use the address, sometimes "made up" or specifically chosen, maybe with rounded or special numbers for it to sound better, such as 432 Park Avenue, 30 Park Place, 1 Central Park West, fifteen Central Park West, etc. Or in many other cases, they have names, sometimes lasting for over one hundred years: The Dakota, The Ansonia, The San Remo.

Living in one of these buildings is a symbol of status, and that includes the name that identifies it, that should stay in time and not be changed everytime somebody wants to buy the naming rights. And that would be pretty difficult anyway, since it is not a single-owned building, but it will be a condominium, so somebody wanting to to buy the naming rights should pay every homeowner their share.

Finally, it is also unlikely that a company wants to buy the naming rights of a residential building. When a company purchase naming rights of a building, it is usually the office building where they have their headquarters, so they want the building to identify with them. In this case there would be a department store at the base, one of many that chain has across the US, and it would function independent of the residential building that will be above it, their customers will go to the "Nordstrom Store" and not to the "Nordstrom Tower".
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #6388
Harryx5
Harry

Likes (Received): 10934

I really didn´t understand why to maintain the "gentleman agreement " since World Trade Center has changed its designs. I f they could have a tallest skyscraper they should go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
article i found

http://gizmodo.com/sneaky-nordstrom-...843085?ref=yfp

Sneaky Nordstrom Tower Adds 71 Feet to Be the Actual Tallest US Building

Alissa Walker
Filed to: SPIRE WARS 6/16/15 8:55pm
Sneaky Nordstrom Tower Adds 71 Feet to Be the Actual Tallest US Building

Last time we checked in with the Nordstrom Tower, a superskinny supertall going up in Midtown Manhattan, a sneaky spire had been added to make it a hair taller than the US’s tallest spire at the World Trade Center. Now, new documents show another stealth move: The actual roof height will be taller than previously planned—taller than the current tallest US building, the Willis Tower.

Who can keep up with these supertall races? New York Yimby has the scoop:

The documents show the building’s curtain wall will top out at 1,521.83 feet above street level, meaning 217 West 57th Street will officially stand 71 feet taller than Chicago’s Willis Tower, the country’s current title holder of ‘tallest roof,’ ahead of 432 Park Avenue and One World Trade Center.
So what’s more important, you might ask: Tallest roof or tallest spire? It depends how you measure skyscraper height. As Gizmodo’s own Kelsey Campbell-Dollaghan points out, without those pointy little tips known as “vanity spires,” 60 percent of the world’s supertalls wouldn’t be supertalls at all. Anyone can add a spire but roof height is special—it’s kind of where it counts.

It was once thought that the Nordstrom Tower would keep its spire below the WTC’s 1,776 feet as part of a respectful “gentleman’s agreement” to allow WTC to retain its tallest-spire title (and therefore also the “tallest” building in the US). Technically, that could still happen even with these higher floor levels; the roof height would raise but the spire height could stay the same. Perhaps the developers suddenly decided that it was more impressive to beat the Willis Tower than WTC.

Meanwhile, the same architects of the Nordstrom Tower—Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill—announced today that they’ll be designing what will be the world’s new tallest commercial tower, the Burj 2020, although the height has not yet been announced. The current tallest commercial tower in the world? The World Trade Center.

[NY Yimby]

Image by Extell
Harryx5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #6389
|Businessman|
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

nice man
|Businessman| no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #6390
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

lol Why did they change the name of the building?
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #6391
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ I like the central park tower name more but Nordstrom is okay. Nordstrom if you some how did not know is the name of a major retail giant in america for name brand clothes.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #6392
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
lol Why did they change the name of the building?
It never had a name, only an address. We've been calling it "Nordstrom Tower" out of convenience, but for the reasons others have mentioned above, that was never going to be the official name.

But "Central Park Tower" is bland and confusing -- there will be several other tall towers in this row, more centered, a few of which actually front on Central Park, such as 220 CPS and the Park Lane. Just pick a cool sounding surname from local history and slap it on. Or they could at least try to fold in a nearby landmark: Columbus Tower, Merchants (Gate) Tower, Artisans (Gate) Tower, Carnegie Tower. Or even buy the address from their neighbor and call it 5 Columbus Circle, which as an address has a much nicer ring than 217 W. 57th.

Hell, as uncouth as it would be for Extell to call it "The Barnett," that's at least a better name for a luxury condo building.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #6393
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Great to see some cranes, a really visible evidence of the works going on!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #6394
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Extell changed it for marketing purposes obviously. Everyone has heard of Central Park and having a property along Central Park is like having a beach front property. It is the newest addition to what is considered Manhattan’s gold coast joining 5th Avenue & Central Park West surrounding the park. I bet you 9 times out of 10 if you ask a foreigner, they would not be able to tell you that Central Park is located near 57th street. (I may be exaggerating but you get the point) lol.

Naming it Central Park Tower couldn’t be any clearer. It’s an enormous tower at Central Park. Duh! When can I buy a unit?”?

Stern’s Tower rising is only in its pre-marketing phase and they sold how much before they publicly offered the units to the rest of the public?? 220 Central Park South is a smashing success! I can assure you by just having that Central Park address; it is one of the biggest factors it is enjoying good fortune and to add to that it is designed by Mr. Robert Stern whom is beloved by the affluent. That combo is like the perfect storm for success that Vornado has hoped for.

When Witkoff develops 36 Central Park South, because of its central location along Central Park South it will enjoy the same success. I would not be surprised if Witkoff ultimately change 1 Park Lane to 1 Central Park South or something. Lol.

I am sure when this tower is completed, both the tourist and the locals will look up and point to that feakin tall tower from wherever they are in the city and say that is the Nordstrom Tower, because to many people the Nordstrom Department store would be the real point of interest. I can definitely tell you one thing… that would be the case with my wife referencing it the “Nordstrom Tower” with a big grin on her beautiful face armed with a bag full of $$ getting ready to do some serious damage. :/

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Miami High Rise liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #6395
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I had to switch out my 2WTC lock screen on my phone to this. #excited #nordstrom

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #6396
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Nice Phone VG

I like how NYC is having an architectural resurgence. In this new architectural era, the buildings are not only taller but thinner. Probably do to modern building materials and engineering (note Dubai Marina) and/or hard to find bigger properties on the ground.

robertitoam liked this post
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #6397
mintgum84

Likes (Received): 1233

Looks awesome.
mintgum84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #6398
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativenative View Post
I like how NYC is having an architectural resurgence. In this new architectural era, the buildings are not only taller but thinner. Probably do to modern building materials and engineering (note Dubai Marina) and/or hard to find bigger properties on the ground.
It is because these are all residential towers. The smaller the footprint, the more daylight reaches the apartments. We will most likely never see an office building that is this tall and thin.
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #6399
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
It is because these are all residential towers. The smaller the footprint, the more daylight reaches the apartments. We will most likely never see an office building that is this tall and thin.
Never again. NY was made on thin office towers.
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #6400
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
Office towers by nature aren't really supposed to be thin though. A few in NY, built and in prep/uc are still over 400 meters which isn't that far off.

In general yea, mixed use is the future, it makes a lot more sense.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall