daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #6461
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris666 View Post
if they building at central park already Skyscrapers with 541 m....why still planning wtc 2 with 411 m or less?? Makes no sense...already freedom Tower became to short...downtown was always the Roof of nyc...with buildings at central park at the same high...there is no order anymore...sorry...wtc 2 should be take over a new role...i.e. leading role...600m + ....it's strange if the entrance of nyc becomes smaller than the rest...sorry...for me that makes no sense anymore.
Huh? The new WTC was built to replace the old WTC not be the tallest buildings in NY. The new complex will have the same height and probably more skyline impact than the old so that's fine by me. We also don't know how tall 80SS will end up, it could be higher than the WTC.

It makes more sense to me to have taller buildings in Midtown since it's a larger financial district and has more skyscrapers than Downtown (although which by itself is still well bigger than most skylines in the world).
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #6462
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris666 View Post
if they building at central park already Skyscrapers with 541 m....why still planning wtc 2 with 411 m or less?? Makes no sense...already freedom Tower became to short...downtown was always the Roof of nyc...with buildings at central park at the same high...there is no order anymore...sorry...wtc 2 should be take over a new role...i.e. leading role...600m + ....it's strange if the entrance of nyc becomes smaller than the rest...sorry...for me that makes no sense anymore.
Lol One World Trade Center is an important symbol of the USA. No tower will be taller in NYC in the near future, because of that. And now you suggest, that 2WTC should be 600m+ tall when it is standing right next to 1WTC?
Which part do you not understand ?
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #6463
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

It's only a matter of time till we see a megatall proposed for New York. It won't be in Downtown though, more like Mitdown East / 57th Street.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...skyscrapers-go

How tall can NYC's skyscrapers go?

As towers surpass 1,400 feet, one structural engineer predicts 2,000-foot spires are around the corner—and maybe even half-mile-tall spires will follow suit.

Quote:
The growing list of super-tall, ultra-skinny towers—reaching higher than 1,400 feet—has raised the question of just how far New York City developers will dare venture into the sky.

Although it may be difficult to predict what materials and engineering advances will permit, one structural engineer who has worked on several soaring buildings, including 220 Central Park South and a spire planned at the site of the Park Lane Hotel, said it won't be long before 2,000 feet or even a half-mile high will be possible.

According to Stephen DeSimone, who operates his own firm, DeSimone Consulting Engineers, cement and steel have doubled in strength in the past 10 years and already make structures up to 2,000 feet possible. Mr. DeSimone expects those materials to become 50% stronger in the next five to 10 years, allowing developers to build even higher structures with less bulk.

"The whole point of going high is to have big windows to enjoy the view," Mr. DeSimone said. "If you have thick concrete supports and structural elements everywhere, it impedes that. But that's changing."

The last major roadblock to building upward has been creating sophisticated dampening mechanisms to reduce the natural sway that gigantic towers experience from wind.

"People who buy $90 million penthouse apartments don't want to feel like they're in a boat," Mr. DeSimone said. "Right now, engineers and builders are exploring the idea of advanced dampening systems that will anticipate the motion of a building and counteract it before it even sways. This is the last hurdle in building taller than we are already."

New buildings like 432 Park Ave. use an internal pendulum—a gigantic pile of steel plates hung on cables inside the top of the tower—to stabilize the building during gusts of wind. As the tower moves, the pendulum stays put and counteracts the shifting. The building at 220 Central Park South, which is even more pencil-like than the 1,400-foot tall 432 Park Ave., has a 1,000-ton dampening pendulum on its unoccupied top floors, according to Mr. DeSimone.

But those systems are reactive, Mr. DeSimone said: They resist movement once it happens, but don't anticipate it with sensors that detect wind and building sway in time to offset it. Towers that soar even higher than those properties will need such technology because structural movement becomes more pronounced at extreme heights of 2,000 feet and beyond.

"Systems are being developed where a building's interior pendulum can be controlled to move ahead of time," Mr. DeSimone said.
Quote:
higher structures with less bulk
That's the key word here: megatall residential buildings which are still skinny.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #6464
francais22

Likes (Received): 147

How high is the demand for luxury apartments ? Because 1000 luxurious unit = a lot of supertall and maybe few megatall ... Tomorrow, highest buildings in New York won't be office buildings but skinny residential skyscrapers, like in Corruscant ... I hote that future skyscrapers will exceed the 541,3 m holy height !!
francais22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #6465
Everine
Builder of Things

Likes (Received): 13

I think that it's just the mindset of the architectural engineering that the tall it gets the skinnier/narrower it should be. But from a civilian stand-point, I look at some of these tower and feel more and more intimidated by the lack of visual stability of these buildings.

I look at something like the NY Library and I know that think isn't going anywhere, and I look at the skinny supertalls like 432 park ave and feel a lot less safe just by looking at it. If this is going to be a architectural trend I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to live in these building above a certain floor.
Everine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #6466
Chris666

Likes (Received): 29

I agree.
I Thought a time...the will be megatalls like in the new movie "judge dredd"
Chris666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #6467
Chris666

Likes (Received): 29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqgrUna28w
Chris666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #6468
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
Central Park Tower? What kind of name is Central Park Tower? Nordstrom Tower sounds way better. Maybe they're trying to make the name similar to "Empire State Building" to make it sound more iconic.
Nordstrom sounds like a department store to me.

Does the Macy's Tower sound classy? How about the J. C. Penney Tower??

aquaticko liked this post
Philly Bud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #6469
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post

well, those are taken by pre-war midrises.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #6470
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

At least they didn't decide to call it Le Tour Parc Centrale!!!!!

Old July 18th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #6471
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
225 w 57th is closer to Columbus Circle. The buildings in front of it bordering the park are mostly eye soars. It won't be a problem since 225 w 57th and 220 CPS will rise well above them

image hosted on flickr
Nordstrom tower basically has 3 streets as its borders: W 58. W57, Broadway. The entrance on Broadway is right before the building with big cornice. I was not trying to get the entrance on this picture, rather the corner 59th street building, but it still can be seen one block south.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

mrsmartman liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #6472
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
It's only a matter of time till we see a megatall proposed for New York. It won't be in Downtown though, more like Mitdown East / 57th Street.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...skyscrapers-go

How tall can NYC's skyscrapers go?

As towers surpass 1,400 feet, one structural engineer predicts 2,000-foot spires are around the corner—and maybe even half-mile-tall spires will follow suit.

That's the key word here: megatall residential buildings which are still skinny.

The key here is the height restrictions in US which is 2000 ft. Unless it is lifted or significantly altered, we are stuck with 2000 ft, which is not too far from the Nordstrom tower of 1775.
As for the steel and etc - as of now we can build a mile high tower no problem - just get the money and height permissions.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #6473
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Manhattan is a no fly zone anyway, if the FAA gets in the way of towers it would be kinda ridiculous. Though I think a 2000' ceiling may be upheld for some time it will eventually be broken.
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #6474
Erlenberg

Likes (Received): 1917

Quote:
At least they didn't decide to call it Le Tour Parc Centrale!!!!!

In French, it would have been "La Tour Parc Central"

Philly Bud liked this post
Erlenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #6475
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

There's already a Park Central, which is even farther from the park, on 55th and 7th.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #6476
vic22

Likes (Received): 25

When will the tower reach street level?
vic22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #6477
nyc15

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic22 View Post
When will the tower reach street level?
thats is also my question!!!!
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #6478
vic22

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
thats is also my question!!!!
Lol then it will go much faster
vic22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #6479
monumentny

Likes (Received): 1

Beautiful
monumentny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 04:30 AM   #6480
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:

You're right, but almost anything can sound legit over time. How are the Pan Am, GE (now Comcast ), Woolworth, and Hearst buildings any worse? It would have been better if Nordstrom were based in NYC. Ah well, it's a minor thing compared to how the actual building will turn out.

evioive, Philly Bud, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall