daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #7061
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
That will no longer be a super tall.

Now called the spiral, by no other than BIG.
It was 1005 ft. So a supertall.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #7062
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
It was 1005 ft. So a supertall.
Oops! Well it definitely isn't as tall as we hoped.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #7063
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Here's my video Central Park tower from today !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4am-VBv2Qw

SMCYB, Eddie55, McSky, punchydj, Zaz965 and 1 others liked this post
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #7064
tallmark

Likes (Received): 33

Basshead, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by tallmark; June 20th, 2016 at 07:04 AM.
tallmark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:49 AM   #7065
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

I generally agree with you, hallmark... not 100%, but to a large degree.

Just one note about ESB: It's not really 102 floors. About 16 or so of those "floors" are simply landing levels on a staircase inside the shaft on top. I've climbed that staircase, and while it was a thrilling experience, it was also disheartening to discover the truth.

I don't mind counting substantial parapets or crowns when they add a significant presence to the building, but needles just for the sake of adding extra official height are definitely cheating and certainly misleading in my mind.

Anyway, this thread is about Central Park Tower. Check out yankee fan for life's video above for the latest update.

Fabio1976, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #7066
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

There are multiple ways of measuring skyscrapers, and one of them is in fact to the top of the highest inhabitable floor. Just look it up on Wikipedia. And the ESB spire did originally serve a purpose-it was supposed to be a mooring mast for dirigibles (like the Hindenburg). They canceled the plan when it was found that the winds over Manhattan were very unstable due to the large buildings creating canyons.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #7067
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmark View Post
I firmly believe we should ONLY count the height of any building to the top of the last living floor. All these gimmicks like adding "spires" , "antennas", broomsticks, bamboo shoots.... blah blah, is there to trick people into believing a building is very tall, when it is not. A good example of this gimmickry is 1 WTC, sticking a giant broomstick into a giant bagel, and placing it on a 80 or so floor mediocrity of design, calling it the tallest this or tallest that! No wonder we stopped calling it the "Freedom Tower" realizing how fake its "1776" is!

When I was a kid, we knew how tall a skyscraper is by leaning how many floors it had. Empire State Building had reached the magical 100 floor. That was common-sense measurement: to the top of the last inhabited floor (not the water tank, nor the lightning antenna. Nordstrom building WILL BE the tallest SKYSCRAPER in the Western World, and the 2nd tallest after the Chicago-designed, Burj Dubai (or whatever they call it today) anywhere.

Only the TV and communication towers like the Needle in Seattle or the one in Toronto should be measured to the very top of all they got, since they are not skyscrapers but just communication/observation towers.

I would love for someone to put together a chart or graph showing the tallest skyscrapers in the world today (or being built) without any of those spire/antenna/broomstick gimmickry: only to the top of the last habitable floor, AND mentioning how many HABITABLE floors they got--and that IS it. That would be THE TRUE numbers and figures to remember, not all these tricks and gimmicks
How many times is this going to be brought up, and in an off topic manner no less? A spire is an architectural part of a building.
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #7068
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
How many times is this going to be brought up, and in an off topic manner no less? A spire is an architectural part of a building.
I agree! Take the Lotte tower in Seoul as an example. Why would you not consider this beautiful, multistory "lantern" on top as part of the structure and the overall hight of the tower???

cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #7069
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
There are multiple ways of measuring skyscrapers, and one of them is in fact to the top of the highest inhabitable floor. Just look it up on Wikipedia. And the ESB spire did originally serve a purpose-it was supposed to be a mooring mast for dirigibles (like the Hindenburg). They canceled the plan when it was found that the winds over Manhattan were very unstable due to the large buildings creating canyons.
I completely count the ESB all the way to the top. The building is 1250' and the structure is 1454'. All I said was that it doesn't actually have 102 floors because the staircase up the shaft is just a staircase up the middle of an otherwise empty shaft until you get to the top observation level.

SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #7070
punchydj

Likes (Received): 279

Hi guys!

There is the progress during the month of May.

Thank you!!!

Zaz965, weidncol, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
punchydj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #7071
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25987

I like without spire
Old June 14th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #7072
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28160

This one could do without a spire as it is not more than a stick.

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Dragon18 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #7073
ed500

Likes (Received): 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmark View Post
I firmly believe we should ONLY count the height of any building to the top of the last living floor. All these gimmicks like adding "spires" , "antennas", broomsticks, bamboo shoots.... blah blah, is there to trick people into believing a building is very tall, when it is not. A good example of this gimmickry is 1 WTC, sticking a giant broomstick into a giant bagel, and placing it on a 80 or so floor mediocrity of design, calling it the tallest this or tallest that! No wonder we stopped calling it the "Freedom Tower" realizing how fake its "1776" is!

When I was a kid, we knew how tall a skyscraper is by leaning how many floors it had. Empire State Building had reached the magical 100 floor. That was common-sense measurement: to the top of the last inhabited floor (not the water tank, nor the lightning antenna. Nordstrom building WILL BE the tallest SKYSCRAPER in the Western World, and the 2nd tallest after the Chicago-designed, Burj Dubai (or whatever they call it today) anywhere.

Only the TV and communication towers like the Needle in Seattle or the one in Toronto should be measured to the very top of all they got, since they are not skyscrapers but just communication/observation towers.

I would love for someone to put together a chart or graph showing the tallest skyscrapers in the world today (or being built) without any of those spire/antenna/broomstick gimmickry: only to the top of the last habitable floor, AND mentioning how many HABITABLE floors they got--and that IS it. That would be THE TRUE numbers and figures to remember, not all these tricks and gimmicks
Here you go, I made a chart of the 10 tallest buildings Com and T/O to the highest occupied floor. All heights came from CTBUH.

Last edited by ed500; June 14th, 2016 at 10:53 PM.
ed500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #7074
Manhattan Man
Someone From The Earth

Likes (Received): 271

June 11, 2016 Update

Central Park Tower Update by Xzeyvion Aryee, on Flickr

Central Park Tower Update
by Xzeyvion Aryee, on Flickr
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #7075
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz965 View Post
I like without spire
same here

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #7076
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

so what I'm seeing in that diagram is the fact that the last really famous supertall (but only those with more than 400m and without counting the ones that are still u/c) that have/had a height/total floor occupied ratio of maybe almost 100% are/were Sears Tower, Guangzhou IFC, Shanghai WFC is pretty close too and Old WTC. The rest are cheaters xD

airpix84, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #7077
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Man View Post
That translucent tower in the background is a future render?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
so what I'm seeing in that diagram is the fact that the last really famous supertall (but only those with more than 400m and without counting the ones that are still u/c) that have/had a height/total floor occupied ratio of maybe almost 100% are/were Sears Tower, Guangzhou IFC, Shanghai WFC is pretty close too and Old WTC. The rest are cheaters xD
Only if you feel like looking at things in a particular way, which most people don't. And the Burj Khalifa still has the highest occupied floor, which is what you are trying to make the standing mark. So it really doesn't matter.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #7078
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Only if you feel like looking at things in a particular way, which most people don't. And the Burj Khalifa still has the highest occupied floor, which is what you are trying to make the standing mark. So it really doesn't matter.
The higher.. the better. That's my particular way of looking at things. Was just making a trivial observation.

And you also still have at least 1 more particular way to look at things.. a person can always stand at the tip of the burj khalifa, so if a person is there.. the 800m also count as highest occupied floor

Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #7079
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
That translucent tower in the background is a future render?
That's One57. Photographer caught a lot of sunlight in those two photos.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #7080
airpix84
New York City Lover

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed500 View Post
Here you go, I made a chart of the 10 tallest buildings Com and T/O to the highest occupied floor. All heights came from CTBUH.

This means that in reality talking about occupied floors or floors height there are still no Megatalls on Earth. :/

I'm a height fan but I agree when the trick is too much (Kingdom Tower?).
As an architect I like spires and everything that can be designed as a nice addition to buildings (one of my favourite part of NYC Skyline is BOAT) but when it's too much or bad done (1WTC ) I'm not a supporter.

BTW to go back on topic I really like this one and can't wait to see its progression.
The old design with the spire was interesting but in the end I think I will like also this one, the squared and slim design gives an amazing sense of highness and from Central Park will be a stunning vision anyway!
My Tumblr

airpix84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall