daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2016, 03:26 AM   #7141
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

I don't like FDI either. I believe that trade should only occur between countries that respect human rights, don't bully their neighbors in dubious claims, and have free elections.

And I feel that a social democracy is greatly preferable to out-of-control capitalism.

SMCYB liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:45 PM   #7142
CrystalPhoenix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn1 View Post
That's the free market capitalism, which Americans are so fond of, or...? I don't suppose you are against the democratic American capitalism invests in China, do you?
have you seen the restrictions china puts on foreign investment?
CrystalPhoenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:08 PM   #7143
Martijn1
Martijn1

Likes (Received): 702

Have you seen the TTIP disaster and the things the USA demands to trade with it?
But let us go back on topic.

autonauta, bodegavendetta liked this post
Martijn1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #7144
goodybear

Likes (Received): 687

Really like the cantilever on this tower, it really adds to the design of this skyscraper (unlike some other towers)!
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #7145
SideStreetShadow

Likes (Received): 12

Hi Everyone! I've been a long time lurker on SSC. I used to take photos for my own consumption, occasionally posted on wiredny. This is my third post here. Took a bunch of photos yesterday; looking to share once I hit the magic number

I'm very impressed by the hashtag shaped concrete structure that will keep this building upright. And that's at the top! Below the cantilever the tower portion is a single massive concrete I beam. The whole building is clearly designed around the cantilever, a part of its design dna. The structural requirements that ~30 x 100 x ~1000+ feet of building be unsupported except through the the core is astounding! There is literally no other building with which comes close to that feat. Stern's building off Park might be the most comparable building (structurally) in the world and it will be half the height of this monster.

If you look at the floor plans at the top of the building and then at the floors just above the mall you get a good idea of the structure's attempt at balance. The East side of the building (cantilever side) has concrete columns instead of the heavier shear walls extending from the core to the West (Hudson-facing) side of the tower. Also the West side of the building closer to the base has these massive composite columns to anchor it to the mall part of the building. The entire building is designed to keep the top from developing too much momentum in the Easterly (unsupported below) direction.

steve1young liked this post
SideStreetShadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #7146
Otto Diesel

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post

And I feel that a social democracy is greatly preferable to out-of-control capitalism.
So you do prefer the FDI?!

But back to topic: any new pictures???
Otto Diesel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #7147
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Diesel View Post
So you do prefer the FDI?!
Only from liberal democracies.

Quote:
But back to topic: any new pictures???
Try going on Google Earth.
Old July 6th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #7148
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Bahahaha, or if you'd rather not wait 6-36 months for an update, try the YIMBY Forums:

July 1st by Robert Walpole

Infesus, Zaz965, Assemblage23 liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #7149
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Hey all,

This is completely off-topic but I don't know a better place to ask. I will be traveling to NYC in January 2017 for the first time and was wondering what attractions are "must see." I already have the following sites on the itinerary:

WTC, 9/11 Memorial
Empire State Building
Rockefeller Center/Christmas Tree
Central Park
Broadway Theatre

We are going to be there for six days. Any help is appreciated!
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:16 PM   #7150
luisandrex

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjr View Post
Hey all,

This is completely off-topic but I don't know a better place to ask. I will be traveling to NYC in January 2017 for the first time and was wondering what attractions are "must see." I already have the following sites on the itinerary:

WTC, 9/11 Memorial
Empire State Building
Central Park
Broadway Theatre

I'm too going on that date, why don't you go to the museums, the statue of liberty ,and the high lane

oilmanjr liked this post
luisandrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #7151
oilmanjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisandrex View Post
I'm too going on that date, why don't you go to the museums, the statue of liberty ,and the high lane
Thanks for the info! Which museums are must sees? I heard the statue of liberty is overrated so I think we may skip that. Although I would like to get out on a boat to view the skyline from the water.

I haven't heard of the High Lane. I'll look into that! It looks like that would be a good thing to visit on the same day as we visit Hudson Yards..
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #7152
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Hey all, This is completely off-topic but I don't know a better place to ask. I will be traveling to NYC in January 2017 for the first time and was wondering what attractions are "must see." I already have the following sites on the itinerary: WTC, 9/11 Memorial Empire State Building Rockefeller Center/Christmas Tree Central Park Broadway Theatre We are going to be there for six days. Any help is appreciated!
I'd recommend you do 30 Rock and 1WTC. Empire doesn't seem to offer as compelling views as the others - especially if you're on a tight budget.

Also, if you walk the High Line, begin near Hudson Yards (close to Penn Station) and end near Chelsea Market, grab some nice food, and eat by the river - if it isn't too blustery/cold

* Warning: I have a fairly strong bias towards activities involving the river, which may not be so desirable in January

There's also:
The Transit/Subway Museum (in Brooklyn) = paradise!

Governor's Island

The Skyscraper Museum (depends what the current exhibition is)

The Tenament Museum (though, I haven't been)

The Jersey side of the Hudson (Jersey City, Hoboken) has some of the BEST skyline views

Prospect Park and the Botanical Gardens (maybe not great in winter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

The waterfront parks around LIC and [DUMBO/ Brooklyn Bridge] Brooklyn (again, maybe not great in January)

The Circle Line [boat tour] is pricy, but a LOT of fun - especially on a clear day. I recommend you not do the entire "circle" but the half tour (i.e. West Midtown to East Midtown and back).

The MET is very nice, but the Cloisters are what you should REALLY try to see. So few people go, and it's quite a nice setting. Search special exhibitions at the MET, there is an app, as those are typically the best.

Lastly, if it's unseasonably warm, you could try bicycle rentals: Central Park is always nice, but so is Riverside Drive; you can go pretty much from Lower Manhattan fairly far, Uptown.

Have fun.
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #7153
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

that temporary platform for the cantilever support is pretty wild. Figure it has to support 8-10 floors of structure.

MarshallKnight, cnbnca liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #7154
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1630

Quote:
Hey all,

WTC, 9/11 Memorial
Empire State Building
Central Park
Broadway Theatre

Mamoun's

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mamouns-falafel-new-york-2
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #7155
MichaelHH
Bayou City Orangeman

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Hey all,

WTC, 9/11 Memorial
Empire State Building
Central Park
Broadway Theatre

Where will you be coming from Oilmanjr and what are your interests? Everything you listed is essential for the first time visitor, but rather than going to the top of the Empire State Building (check out the art-deco lobby instead and avoid the massive lines/waits), might consider Top of the Rock (30 Rockefeller Plaza) instead with better northern views of the park (and of the ESB looking south). High Line is an urban park built on abandoned elevated railroad track. It is a must see, but will be cold in January, bundle up! Check out the new Whitney Museum at the Highline's Southern end and the massive Hudson Yards project (biggest in US history) at the northern end. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (Met), Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), The Guggenheim (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) and The Museum of Natural History are world class and will be welcome respites from the cold! Do not go to the Statue of Liberty -- in my opinion, better off taking the free Staten Island Ferry for great views of the statue, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. Pick a nice day to wander in Central Park and look for Bethesda Fountain, The Mall, Strawberry Fields, the zoo, the reservoir and other attractions there. Although touristy, one of the double decker bus tours (they allow you to get on and off at all of the attractions for one price) get you a good lay of the land. You will also want to experience the NYC subway! Also, one of the NYC Pass packages (Google it) gets you discounted admissions and can bypass regular ticket lines at most attractions. Anyway, could go on for pages! Get yourself a decent guide book (Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc.) to plan ahead and have the time of your life!
MichaelHH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #7156
00Zy99

The only boat to take is the Staten Island Ferry. Some of the best views, and completely free.

airpix84 liked this post
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #7157
oilmanjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHH View Post
Where will you be coming from Oilmanjr and what are your interests? Everything you listed is essential for the first time visitor, but rather than going to the top of the Empire State Building (check out the art-deco lobby instead and avoid the massive lines/waits), might consider Top of the Rock (30 Rockefeller Plaza) instead with better northern views of the park (and of the ESB looking south). High Line is an urban park built on abandoned elevated railroad track. It is a must see, but will be cold in January, bundle up! Check out the new Whitney Museum at the Highline's Southern end and the massive Hudson Yards project (biggest in US history) at the northern end. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (Met), Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), The Guggenheim (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) and The Museum of Natural History are world class and will be welcome respites from the cold! Do not go to the Statue of Liberty -- in my opinion, better off taking the free Staten Island Ferry for great views of the statue, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. Pick a nice day to wander in Central Park and look for Bethesda Fountain, The Mall, Strawberry Fields, the zoo, the reservoir and other attractions there. Although touristy, one of the double decker bus tours (they allow you to get on and off at all of the attractions for one price) get you a good lay of the land. You will also want to experience the NYC subway! Also, one of the NYC Pass packages (Google it) gets you discounted admissions and can bypass regular ticket lines at most attractions. Anyway, could go on for pages! Get yourself a decent guide book (Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc.) to plan ahead and have the time of your life!
My girlfriend and I will be coming from North Dakota. We enjoy eating well and architecture. We were in Chicago last spring and loved it! I will look into all of the things you recommended, thanks! We will be getting the CityPASS booklets. We are worried many of the best views/enjoyable places won't be open during the possibly frigid month of January.

I am looking for a few great sit down restaurants in Midtown and also one on the river (near Chelsea Market) and possibly one in Jersey with a great view of the Midtown skyline. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old July 7th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #7158
luisandrex

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Which museums are must sees? I heard the statue of liberty is overrated so I think we may skip that. Although I would like to get out on a boat to view the skyline from the water.

I haven't heard of the High Lane. I'll look into that! It looks like that would be a good thing to visit on the same day as we visit Hudson Yards..
MOMA, the American Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, also the UN headquarter, the Grand Central Station, Little Italy, Chinatown. Supposedly, Jersey City is great to view the skyline of NY
luisandrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #7159
Alderney

Likes (Received): 2

Good work!
Alderney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #7160
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Well since this is turning into a suggestions thread...

My favorite underrated museums in Manhattan: Frick Collection, Morgan Library, Tenement Museum, Hispanic Society of America, The Cloisters, The Met Breuer.

Must-do Museums in Manhattan: The Met, Natural History Museum, THE WHITNEY (brand new, right by the high line), The MoMA I guess...gets kind of crowded but the art is worth it.

Good outer borough museums: Brooklyn Museum, Museum of the Moving Image, Noguchi Museum and Socrates Sculpture Park.

I don't go to Chelsea/Meatpacking that much but I recently went to a Ligurian/coastal Italian restaurant called Santina, which is literally right under the high line and near Chelsea Market, and it was excellent. Pretty expensive but worth it.

My favorite cheap places to eat in Manhattan are Superiority Burger in the East Village, Zabar's on the Upper West Side, Xi'an Famous Foods (many locations), Taim in West Village, Taste of Persia near Madison Square Park, and Lali's in Hell's Kitchen.

My favorite sit-down restaurant in Manhattan is an Italian place called I Sodi in the West Village. There's also a great restaurant called The Modern at MoMA, and the Whitney Museum has a place called Untitled. Both are really good and would be convenient if you visited either museum.

Classic pizza places in Manhattan: I like John's Pizza on Bleecker Street, Patsy's in East Harlem and Prince Street Pizza downtown.

Classic bagel places in Manhattan: Ess-a-Bagel in Midtown East (close-ish to the UN), Tompkins Square Bagels in the East Village, Absolute Bagels in the Upper West Side.

Times Square sucks but if you want to do it, go during late night when it's less crowded but still all lit up and crazy. Also learn to use the subway. Good luck!

And just to avoid being completely off topic, here's a nice pic from July 2 I took from Yimby forums lol:

@_deepsky on Instagram

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall