daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #7401
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

One57 already has the horizontal curved base, now comes this with the vertical curves.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #7402
velciane

Likes (Received): 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
So that's where the biggest store will be right? Simple but great looking!
Yes - that is the Nordstrom store front.

Amecurty, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
velciane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #7403
DS86

Likes (Received): 131

Would it be a fair assessment to say that the Norstrom Tower will be to 21st century Manhattan, what the Empire State Building was to 20th century Manhattan?

It's not just that it would bring the greater height back to Midtown from Downtown, but it has along with the other building going up beside it (forget the name) a very 'New York feel' to it, if you catch my drift? It's hard to explain, but there is a very NYC feel to it, as opposed to just another large glass structure that could be in any city in the world.

Last edited by DS86; October 18th, 2016 at 12:48 AM.
DS86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #7404
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

As much as I like the tower I wouldn't say so, but I agree it does have some New York feel to it.
The twin towers also had that feel about them, as minimalist as they were. I really don't like when some people on the forums try to downgrade their design and their whole appealing now that they're gone.
I think it's worst when people say that the architecture from the 60's in New York was not good, they forget that the tallest structures started their construction in that decade. It's enough for someone to just see a picture of them, or spot them in a movie to realize how iconic they were.
Oh well, I can't blame some others who can't see past the end of their nose. I realize this is a sensitive topic and I apologize.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, ThatOneGuy liked this post

Last edited by Architecture lover; October 18th, 2016 at 01:13 AM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #7405
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

A lot of architecture from the 60s was bad. Not all, but a lot.

And the Twin Towers weren't exactly perfect either.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #7406
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25055

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS86 View Post
Would it be a fair assessment to say that the Norstrom Tower will be to 21st century Manhattan, what the Empire State Building was to 20th century Manhattan?

It's not just that it would bring the greater height back to Midtown from Downtown, but it has along with the other building going up beside it (forget the name) a very 'New York feel' to it, if you catch my drift? It's hard to explain, but there is a very NYC feel to it, as opposed to just another large glass structure that could be in any city in the world.

I think One Vanderbilt will be to the 21st century what the Empire State building is to the 20th century
Old October 18th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #7407
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
A lot of architecture from the 60s was bad. Not all, but a lot.

And the Twin Towers weren't exactly perfect either.
It's called taste and it varies for every person and generalization is not good either, but since we started I would say a precast cladded building for foreign oligarchs could never become as iconic as they were.
By the way, they represented the ultimate 20th century skyscrapers for me.

Last edited by Architecture lover; October 18th, 2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #7408
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

[QUOTE=Architecture lover;136038243]It's called taste and it varies for every person and generalization is not good either, but since we started I would say a precast cladded building for foreign oligarchs could never become as iconic as they were.
By the way, they represented the ultimate 20th century skyscrapers for me.

Wallpapers-of-the-twin-towers-in-New-York-1440x900 by Fils Mwizerwa, on Flickr

city by night by Raven's Witch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aeJEPx][img]https://c6.staticflickr.com/7/6200/6062650653_0de44253f0_b.jpg[/img

Why post this here? This has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Dont be so sensitive...

chambre12, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #7409
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2917

Say what you want about the design quality of the twin towers, they had a huge mark on the skyline. Nothing downtown overpowered them and the only development today that could rival that scale is Hudson Yards.

Sorry for going off topic, always good to see the twins!

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

andrei_kob, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #7410
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post

Why post this here? This has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Dont be so sensitive...
Well some members mention them constantly in some other threads too. Usually trying to downgrade their design, without arguments.
I don't accept 'a box' as an argument, it sounds close-minded, that's why I thought maybe I should share my point of view, I realize it's off topic, if it bothers other members too, I'll edit the posts and the pictures.
Edit: To add something to the on-topic discussion, about which tower was the mark of the 20th century and which could be in the 21st, I think it's too early to say.
There, I edited the pictures, you should do the same if you consider them off-topic.

Last edited by Architecture lover; October 18th, 2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old October 18th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #7411
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Yeah it's perfectly valid to draw comparisons between Central Park Tower and other historical buildings when it comes to design, appeal, or visual and cultural impact. For instance, seeing those photos of the Twins makes my mind boggle, when I realize CPT will not only be noticeably taller than they were, but only about half as wide.

It's hard to say whether CPT or any of the Billionaires Row towers will ever take on the same weight in the collective consciousness of New Yorkers and Americans... my guess is no. Even though finance -- the industry for which the Twins were really a beacon -- is a fairly elite field, it's at least something that most Americans can understand and identify with. Not so with the 8-and-9-figure investments (many of them from overseas patrons) that the 57th Street towers represent.

But I do think they will likely take on at least one similar feature of the Twins: that of a geographic marker. Just as the Twins (and the new WTC) could reliably point you towards the southern tip of Manhattan no matter where you were in the City, the Billionaires Row towers will serve the same purpose for Central Park the northern edge of Midtown.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; October 18th, 2016 at 10:56 PM.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #7412
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
I think One Vanderbilt will be to the 21st century what the Empire State building is to the 20th century
I think it will be the Freedom Tower, or Hudson Yards, that will match the ESB.

The Empire State Building is really the pinnacle of the skyscraper in terms of design aesthetic. It is the skyscraper's skyscraper. This is according to Times Magazine polling online for lists of the Seven Wonders of the World.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #7413
nyc15

Likes (Received): 159

Any news about the rendering of the tower cause some people talking in skyscraperpage that probable the come back of spire

Last edited by nyc15; October 18th, 2016 at 11:24 PM.
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #7414
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I think it will be the Freedom Tower, or Hudson Yards, that will match the ESB.
If we talk about predictions, I think it will be something with at least 150 real floors, and some design fit-able to its time of construction. I don't think that could happen anytime soon. I respect the Twin towers because in a way (for me) they were the first of its kind, if we speak about Art Deco I prefer the Chrysler, I don't care if it's not as tall as other Art Deco towers.

Old October 19th, 2016, 02:02 AM   #7415
ArchineeringTalk

Likes (Received): 14

I agree with streetscraper- One Vanderbilt will be most iconic of any of the buildings going up right now. It will be really prominent on the skyline and have a bit of a twin dynamic with the ESB.

On the other hand, I can't imagine the billionaires row skyscrapers coming to be symbols of the city. A lot of the public doesn't like 432 Park (myself not included), and may find the Central Park Tower equally bland

ArchineeringTalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #7416
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchineeringTalk View Post
A lot of the public doesn't like 432 Park (myself not included), and may find the Central Park Tower equally bland
111W57 and 53W53, on the other hand..

WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #7417
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

NOTHING being built or in the works in NYC will be 'the 21st century ESB'.

When the Empire State went up, it was utterly special. People from all over the world marvelled at it and travelled to see it. It was the star in countless iconic movies and replicated on Tshirts, posters and all sorts of souvenirs across the globe.

These days theres nothing special about 'just another supertall'. They don't stand out anymore. Theres hundreds of them across the world with more to come.

Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #7418
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
NOTHING being built or in the works in NYC will be 'the 21st century ESB'.
Sounds awfully pessimistic and conservative, we only spent one and a half decade (more or less) and there's so many decades ahead in the 21st century. Not to mention completely new and inspiring styles and designs of architecture.
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #7419
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Sounds awfully pessimistic and conservative, we only spent one and a half decade (more or less) and there's so many decades ahead in the 21st century. Not to mention completely new and inspiring styles and designs of architecture.
I agree, it is sooooo much easier to look back at the past. It is soooooo hard to imagine the future!
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #7420
Architecture lover

I'm sure there will be creative people, we have so creative architects now, some of them managed to develop such distinctive styles and maybe at some point new office space will be needed, maybe there will be a megatall structure at some point. Only one thing is sure - we can't really predict.

cnbnca, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall