daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ŧ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #741
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1152

Wow, a roof height of 1550 feet or 472m. I didnīt expect this height at all. It will easily break the 500m mark with a roof feature then. I guess since DOB documents have been released, a proposal has been shown to the city already. The tension regarding the wait for renders is unbearable.

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #742
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

that supertall which was animated in "The Amazing Spider Man" would be an awesome design i think . But would prefer it without the spire
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #743
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4479

When it says the highest floor is 472m, does this mean it will be even taller to fit all the mechanical equipment in for the lifts and stuff?

Just like 432, the highest floor is 398m, but the to house the equipment, the building reaches to 426m?
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #744
germantower
i ♥ NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
When it says the highest floor is 472m, does this mean it will be even taller to fit all the mechanical equipment in for the lifts and stuff?

Just like 432, the highest floor is 398m, but the to house the equipment, the building reaches to 426m?
Height information on DOB documents usually refer to the highest occupied floor and donīt include roof features, spires or the likes.

Last edited by germantower; November 27th, 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #745
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

i'm pretty sure there will be a crown or something to bring it to over 500m
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #746
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Wow, this is incredible news. This is a dream of mine comming true, a new tallest in the Western Hemisphere. This is the height I've been waiting for. If there will be mech floors above the top occupied floor this could be 500 meters even without any crown. This is the height I've been waiting for in NYC
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #747
germantower
i ♥ NY

I canīt believe, that i, fully agree with you. :O

And here some VERY exciting reads from SSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
http://observer.com/2012/11/gary-bar...50-foot-tower/
Gary Barnett’s Biggest Blockbuster Yet: 225 West 57th Street, New York’s First 1,550-Foot Tower

By Matt Chaban 6:00am

I'm so damn happy and excited right now and waiting for those renderings feels similiar to what I felt like as a child while waiting for my christmas presents.

“There won’t be a spire or anything like that, the floors will go all the way to the top, or almost to the top, with some mechanicals above,” Mr. Barnett said. “This is not a gimmick.”

Last edited by germantower; November 27th, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: adding articles
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #748
nycfann1

Likes (Received): 3

Can we change thread title to 472+m/1550+ft 88fl??
nycfann1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #749
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
“There won’t be a spire or anything like that, the floors will go all the way to the top, or almost to the top, with some mechanicals above,” Mr. Barnett said. “This is not a gimmick.”
This is awesome news and I agree that the thread title should be changed for the new height.
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #750
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Agreed 472m is pretty extreme (for ny at least). Since they say there will be just technical equipment above that and no spire I guess it won't be much taller than 472m - probably flat topped below 500m.

So, again, just for the sake of comparison. How tall to the roof was this rejected proposal?

image hosted on flickr
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #751
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

I come here and I see this.
THIS

I'm having a hard time digesting how awesome this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Agreed 472m is pretty extreme (for ny at least). Since they say there will be just technical equipment above that and no spire I guess it won't be much taller than 472m - probably flat topped below 500m.

So, again, just for the sake of comparison. How tall to the roof was this rejected proposal?

image hosted on flickr
We don't know, but that photoshop shows a roof height of about 480M. Since it seems very unlikely that the roof will be just 8M above the tallest occupied space at 472M, this building will be be taller than the one in the image you posted.
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #752
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
yes, if there won't be a spire or crown it probably won't reach 500m. in that case i estimate a max height of 480 to 490m
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #753
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
yes, if there won't be a spire or crown it probably won't reach 500m. in that case i estimate a max height of 480 to 490m
It's hard to say, the highest occupied floor is 1550ft and I believe they said that would be the 85ft. That means there is 2-3 mechanical floors, and I would assume 5-7m for each slab to slab. This could very well end up 500m+ to the top.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #754
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ķ┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
It will be a close call.

432 PA's highest occupied floor is at 397m and the roof at 426m. So this gives us 426 - 397 = 29m for mechanicals. Therefore it's quite possible the mechanical levels could take up to 30m in this tower and bring it to 500m.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #755
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
It's hard to say, the highest occupied floor is 1550ft and I believe they said that would be the 85ft. That means there is 2-3 mechanical floors, and I would assume 5-7m for each slab to slab. This could very well end up 500m+ to the top.
Yes mechanical floors are often tall and there are usually several of them. Thats why I said probably below 500m. I think it will be around 500m. If above that then probably not much but I don't think it will be less than 490.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #756
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Well if the highest occupied floor is 1550 feet and it's 85 feet tall the building is going to be over 1635 feet, likely 1650 or 1700 at least.

This is almost too good to be true
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #757
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

I still can't really get my head around a height like this, but what will make this even more impressive is that it's going to be built in one of the most densely built areas on the planet. Unbelievable.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #758
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

I don't get it. People keeps saying that 1550 feet is the highest occupied floor, So it should be taller when added mechanical floors and things like that, Is that so?

I am not familiarized with the building permits issues in NY or in the USA. But, generally, when they talk about building height is the building height, that is to the top of the building, and the permit says buiding height 1550 ft. Shouldn't it be to the top, to the roof? or effectively it is different in NY and it does mean highest occupied floor?

For example the Citigroup Center is 279 meters / 915 feet to the top of that 45š roof. And the Tower Verre was capped to 1050 ft. to the tip, not the highest floor, didn't it?
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #759
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
For example the Citigroup Center is 279 meters / 915 feet to the top of that 45š roof. And the Tower Verre was capped to 1050 ft. to the tip, not the highest floor, didn't it?
But those are official heights recognized worldwide. 225's 472m is height registered in nyc Department of Buildings (DOB). It has nothing to do with the height to be listed in worldwide recognized CTBUH index. Main height will be architectural height (to the tip of crown or spire), and secondary like top habitable floor height and structural height.

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #760
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Since NY does things based on air rights and I assume the tower will use all of it, can we create an estimate of the width of the tower based on height and floor count?
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall