daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:31 AM   #7601
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26075

From March 16th:

By BradM on yimby

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:27 AM   #7602
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 674

The cantilever will look spectaculair when the scaffolding is removed !
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:56 AM   #7603
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1279

Looking at that last picture, it feels like this will be a much slimmer tower than i have thought itll be. Just another pencil in the forest.

Meehoowk666 liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:07 PM   #7604
CactusLord
In love with Madrid & NYC

Likes (Received): 194

Wow that picture made me realise how high the cantilever actually is
CactusLord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:14 PM   #7605
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Visible progress! This is exciting

Munwon liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:10 PM   #7606
Arden848

Likes (Received): 1

Glad the building is starting to rise.
Arden848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #7607
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

At last !!!

Amazing tower

MULAKALAGUMADAM TOWN liked this post
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #7608
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
The shadows and feel of the park would qualify-historic preservation and quality of life.

Central Park is spectacular exactly because it's in the middle of this vibrant metropolis.
Looking at the wall of skyscrapers surrounding it in the distance is the 'feel' of the park. Will two more skyscrapers make it worse? Quite the opposite.
Shadows....cry me a river. Especially with the shadow studies opposing groups are waiving around showing the very worst case in the middle of dead winter.
Plenty of places in upstate NY to look at trees with no tall building casting shadows on them.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015...ter1050-v2.jpg

streetscapeer, WillBuild liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #7609
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
Central Park is spectacular exactly because it's in the middle of this vibrant metropolis.
Looking at the wall of skyscrapers surrounding it in the distance is the 'feel' of the park. Will two more skyscrapers make it worse? Quite the opposite.
Shadows....cry me a river. Especially with the shadow studies opposing groups are waiving around showing the very worst case in the middle of dead winter.
Plenty of places in upstate NY to look at trees with no tall building casting shadows on them.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015...ter1050-v2.jpg

If your only reason to be in Central Park is to look at buildings, sure. For most people, the reason to be there is to enjoy some nature in a city that is incredibly difficult and costly to get out of for an afternoon of upstate tree viewing.

Plenty of spaces in the rest of the city to look at tall buildings with no trees throwing shade at you.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #7610
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
If your only reason to be in Central Park is to look at buildings, sure. For most people, the reason to be there is to enjoy some nature in a city that is incredibly difficult and costly to get out of for an afternoon of upstate tree viewing.

Plenty of spaces in the rest of the city to look at tall buildings with no trees throwing shade at you.

Where did you read 'only reason' in what I wrote?
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #7611
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Comparing these two pictures, you can see they began constructing the formwork for the next level. It seems that they are beggining to build conventional floors, so I think we can expect visible progress from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
From March 16th:

By BradM on yimby
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #7612
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5173

The sit-down: Extell’s Gary Barnett on One Manhattan Square, financing megaprojects and “pedestrian” BK towers

"...You were hoping to score a construction loan for Central Park Tower to replace the $235 million Blackstone land loan, but you ended up refinancing. What went wrong?

We were not ready for it. This is a significant loan. We have to be far down the road in terms of buying out the job. We did an interim bridge loan till the end of the year. Blackstone stayed on for a small piece of the deal, and JPMorgan came in as the lead. Now we are ready for a construction loan in the neighborhood of $900 million and we expect to get one in the next few months. That only represents $1,800 a foot. It would be a very conservative construction loan.

How did you link up with SMI, your Chinese equity partner on Central Park Tower?

SMI was brought in to us by a broker. It took us a long time to negotiate a deal. They were very tough negotiators, but at the end of the day, we got a deal done that worked for everybody..."

McSky, Munwon, Meehoowk666 liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #7613
pqmoore

Likes (Received): 615

Central Park Tower: Midtown's Future Tallest Skyscraper Gets Fluted Glass Curtain Wall
March 24, 2017
Quote:
Extell Development’s Central Park Tower is slowly making its way to its throne as Midtown Manhattan’s skyline king. Come 2019, the 1,550-foot tall skyscraper will have the highest roofline in the Western Hemisphere and will be among the most complex private developments undertaken in New York City history. Conceived by the city’s most heroic high-rise builder, Gary Barnett, the $2.98 billion project will be anchored by a 285,000-square-foot Nordstrom department store that will spread onto three other adjacent properties on Broadway between West 57th Street and West 58th Street. Above the seven-floor flagship store will be a five-story hotel and above that 80 floors (real floors, not Trump floors) of residential condominiums with glorious views of the city.

More DETAILS & RENDERINGS here.
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #7614
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Solid article. Apologies if this render is a re-post -- I don't recall ever seeing this angle before:

So freaking dominant. And I have to say, I'm missing the spire less and less.

cnbnca, Munwon, gaab1972, terpi, CactusLord and 12 others liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #7615
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 237

I agree, based on this view, there is nothing a spire would improve. And I like the fact that despite it's height, it is more "substantial", or not as slim as for example the Steinway Tower.
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #7616
germantower
i ♥ NY

I think with this tower, the Steinway building and 432 Park Avenue we might get a new plataeu of almost the same height, I feel like the extra height that this one has to the top of the parapet wont be enough to really set it apart from the rest of the central park south skyline. So the spire could have been a nice skypiercing element that cuts through this new plateau barrier. Now imagine this elegently designed spire lit at night and changing its colors. I feel that this would be awesome to see.

On a sidenote: After this boom, Manhattan should really get it´s first megatall. It´s about time to cross the 2000 feet mark finally and set something into the city that soars high into the sky, more than anything else around. Like the ESB and the pencils in LM did back in the days.

Mcully56964 liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #7617
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Last render of the building is stunning!

Simpel and elegant!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #7618
CharlesSwann

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I think with this tower, the Steinway building and 432 Park Avenue we might get a new plataeu of almost the same height, I feel like the extra height that this one has to the top of the parapet wont be enough to really set it apart from the rest of the central park south skyline. So the spire could have been a nice skypiercing element that cuts through this new plateau barrier. Now imagine this elegently designed spire lit at night and changing its colors. I feel that this would be awesome to see.

On a sidenote: After this boom, Manhattan should really get it´s first megatall. It´s about time to cross the 2000 feet mark finally and set something into the city that soars high into the sky, more than anything else around. Like the ESB and the pencils in LM did back in the days.
Don't forget 666 Fifth and One Vanderbilt which also will have roofs just above 1,400'!
CharlesSwann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #7619
germantower
i ♥ NY

Yeah and given it´s very prominent riverfront location, the Hudson Yards will only further emphasize the new plateau feeling. But it´s crazy to think of a skyline having a plateau at 1400 feet +. Something very unique IMO.
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #7620
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

The central park south area including 57th street, once Steinway and Nordstrom Tower are completed will have to be one of the tallest urban blocks on earth, competing with Shanghai WFC and Dubai Marina.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall