daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #7721
ballom

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
It has some tough competition. The only interesting things about this tower are the height (at least for NYC) and the cantilever. Plus they really should cover the area below the cantilever with glass. It looks uninviting.
Should I check my eyes or something?

I know there is things as overdesign and sleek design, but c'mon.

I don't get why some people here praise very flat and boring deisgn like 432 or dubai one, and then said intersting design like central park tower or taipei 101 are plain and horrible. (well for 101 i agree on the fact it way too massive compared to it's neightborhood )

I know too thoses tower aren't only for artistic show and must fit where they're built , but on my opinion it fit very well with the rest.

I'm not blinding hating on thoses who disagree with me, it's just i don't get it
ballom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #7722
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Plus they really should cover the area below the cantilever with glass. It looks uninviting.
Despite the cantilever being uninviting it will provide a refreshing view and feelings for people.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #7723
nyc15

Likes (Received): 159

great with a spire , the spire is only one can help cpt to go above 500m marker
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #7724
CharlesSwann

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
But...but you've said that modern architecture, especially glass boxes are not only boring and uninspiring, but even ¡cruel!
This is hardly a box. It has many setbacks and indentations.
CharlesSwann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #7725
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

But it is completely covered with glass and it is quite geometrical, and @AnOldBlackMarble used to say that materials such as glass combined with geometry are cruel looking.
I'm not saying that is my attitude towards modern simplistic buildings, not at all, my point of view is actually the exact opposite, I am a huge futuristic, minimalist lover. When I saw that he had a nice word to say about a building with such aspects, I was a little surprised, that's all.

Zaz965 liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #7726
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 24992

@dmitriychuta
https://www.instagram.com/dmitriychuta/
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #7727
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Nice to see

a 290m building
a 320m building
a 435m building
AND a 472m building

under construction in ONE picture.
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #7728
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Not as spectacular but I also see a 150m building under construction in the same picture.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #7729
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28160

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Nice to see

a 290m building
a 320m building
a 435m building
AND a 472m building

under construction in ONE picture.
Yes, how cool is that.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #7730
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Imagine now 400m+ towers on the Parklane site and 29 west 57th street. It would be the ultimative supertall experience!
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #7731
nyc_alex

Likes (Received): 19

The penthouse here is truly a mansion in the sky. Not sure it will break the record at 220 CPS, but I imagine this could approach $200,000,000. The entire 3rd floor is an epic event space.

I took the drawings from the DOB filing for the kitchen and cleaned them up a bit. Enjoy!

A few points:
1) This was approved in Jan 2016 so it is possible there were more changes since then.
2) Balconys line up with the latest renderings and models I've seen.
3) Anyone know why there is an elevator on the top floor near the kitchen? That can only go up, but there should only be mechanical space above. It is a private elevator so maybe there is more space above? Some more outdoor space? Very odd.
4) They refer to the top floor as the 93rd floor, but I believe it is the highest occupied floor in the building.

91:

92:

93:
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #7732
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Holy smokes, sky palace is right. That huge terrace and grand salon will make for one of the most prized event spaces anywhere on earth. It's bound to get windy all the way up there so I assume the terrace is surrounded by very tall glass? Also, are those operable windows?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #7733
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 24992

In the Grand Salon, does 'open to above' just mean double height ceiling or something?
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #7734
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Usually yeah.

streetscapeer liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #7735
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
3) Anyone know why there is an elevator on the top floor near the kitchen? That can only go up, but there should only be mechanical space above. It is a private elevator so maybe there is more space above? Some more outdoor space? Very odd.
Yes, it is kind of odd. I think I've read that there will be some amenities for the residents in the top floors. If you look at it, when you exit the main elevators lobby, there is like a secondary lobby, with two doors, a big double door opening to the grand salon 2 on the north, and a single one, opening to the south to yet another lobby, marked as BOH elevator lobby. My guess is that is a public (for the residents of the building) elevator that goes to some floors above with some amenities.

Does anybody knows what "BOH" mean?
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #7736
nyc_alex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Yes, it is kind of odd. I think I've read that there will be some amenities for the residents in the top floors. If you look at it, when you exit the main elevators lobby, there is like a secondary lobby, with two doors, a big double door opening to the grand salon 2 on the north, and a single one, opening to the south to yet another lobby, marked as BOH elevator lobby. My guess is that is a public (for the residents of the building) elevator that goes to some floors above with some amenities.

Does anybody knows what "BOH" mean?
Interesting point. BOH is "back of house". I assumed that was all private space to the unit but I see what you mean with the double doors. However, the filing made it clear the kitchen was exclusive to the unit. Plus I believe the exercise room and deck are private to the unit. So not sure where the line would be drawn between private/"public". I'd think the main elevators, especially the freight one, would go up higher if needed instead of having a seperate elevator. The unit also has another private elevator from floors 91-93, but that is typical for these massive penthouses.
nyc_alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:22 AM   #7737
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

So, maybe is another guess I have, in the 94th floor there are some rooms and other spaces for the domestic staff, like Downton Abbey? So they are related to the main property, but independent of it, with separate entrance. Although I think that huge domestic staff living within the property is not much used anymore, but I don't know how is the life of the ultra-rich.
In any case, what is clear, is that the 93rd floor is meant to throwing huge parties and receptions completely independent of the living spaces bellow.

Last edited by CCs77; May 8th, 2017 at 03:37 AM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #7738
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
But...but you've said that modern architecture, especially glass boxes are not only boring and uninspiring, but even ¡cruel!
I certainly don't prefer it, but it is the easiest structure to build so for at least the rest of this century it will be the most common. But even a glass box can have architectural features that can make it better than a plain box. I think this building does this pretty well, as does One57, and many others. Could it have been better? Sure, but I'm a sensible person. I understand that not all things will be to my liking, and as long as there is a healthy balance of good to bad, I can live with that. NY already has great icons, with many more on the way, so it's all good.
Old May 8th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #7739
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
220 CPS isn't even finished and it's already starting to get blocked out from the south by this beast.

streetscapeer, Oatmeal, Zaz965 liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #7740
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Yeah the existence of CPT is an easy selling point for the 220CPS "fake windows."
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall