daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #781
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
If, but only if this tower was build today it would haven been the second tallest tower in the world by heighest occupied floor, since the heighest floor in Mecca is 1480 ft ( not counting observatory ). But maybe it won't even make the top ten when finished.
I thought the top occupied floor of Abby was at 1833 feet (Wiki)? But I don't know, I looked for Abby on CTBUH and the Occupied height was missing

As to this tower, I'm pretty sure the CTBUH will rule the 1WTC antenna as, well, an antenna, so this will be the tallest building by official height too

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #782
crawford

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
Not to take away anything from this tower but by 2019 this building will not even be in the world's 10 tallest to roof height. It will still be behind Kingdom Tower, Burj Khalifa, J220 (Sky City), Shanghai Tower, Wuhan Greenland Center, Ping An IFC, Rose Rock IFC, Royal Mecca Hotel Clock Tower, Chow Tai Fook Guangzhou, and Dalian Greenland Center.
You're probably right, but none of those buildings are really in urban environments, so I think it's pretty cool, considering the urban context of Manhattan.

And there may be many taller buildings proposed for Manhattan. Gary Barnett has another site on 57th Street, and there are many other potential towers. We'll just have to wait and see.
crawford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #783
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

So that means we will have the idea of the Hearst tower, a skyscraper build above an old building.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #784
crawford

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Except that Willis Tower doesn't have a spire. And apparently, 1WTC won't either. So, this would be tallest in America in absolute terms.
1 WTC will have a spire. Obviously Willis doesn't.

225 W57 will be, at worst, the second tallest tower in the Western Hemisphere. Hopefully it tops 1 WTC (obviously we know it will top 1 WTC to roof, but I mean officially).
crawford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #785
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

But why only 88 floors ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #786
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Some people might think it requires tremendous heights to impress me, but that is not true. I'm so impressed by the height of this tower that I have tears in my eyes. I don't care whether this building will be in the top 10 when built or not, 472m is for me jaw droppingly impressive

As to why only 88 floors, well, luxury residences have high ceilings and this will be top class luxurious residential space
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #787
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
But why only 88 floors ?
Because the retail below will have very high floors, also much like 432 Park Ave the ceiling heights in the residential will be much higher than you standard building.

Number of floors means nothing
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #788
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This tower will be amazing.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #789
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Also, one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that this will be the tallest residential tower in the world. It will beat World 1 In Mumbai. Only the Pentominium could surpass it, but as of this moment the Pentominium has no future at all with zero funds
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #790
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Also, one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that this will be the tallest residential tower in the world. It will beat World 1 In Mumbai. Only the Pentominium could surpass it, but as of this moment the Pentominium has no future at all with zero funds
i saw in a picture a few posts back (McSky's post) that this will be mixed use, so it will not be tallest residential building.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #791
Amastroi2017
The Power Of Roof Height

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
You're probably right, but none of those buildings are really in urban environments, so I think it's pretty cool, considering the urban context of Manhattan.

And there may be many taller buildings proposed for Manhattan. Gary Barnett has another site on 57th Street, and there are many other potential towers. We'll just have to wait and see.
You're right most of the buildings mentioned are not surrounded by a dense urban environment. There are some exceptions such as Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Ping An IFC, and Chow Tai Fook Guangzhou.

However, none of the cities those towers are in can quite compare to the density of tall buildings as in New York.

Amastroi2017 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #792
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Don't forget it could have a parapet on top of the mechanical floors like 1WTC to make it even taller than, say, 1,635 feet.

And if you wanted an apartment, would you rather have 8 foot ceilings (standard for kitchens), or 15 foot ceilings (standard for aristocrats )? That's why there are only 88 floors.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; November 27th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #793
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

so this wont have a spire but it might have a crown depending on the design? kind of like the top of hudson yards? so with the mechnical floors added to the height this may actually be a 500m tower?
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #794
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

It could very well have a spire. DOB doesn't consider them "integrated into the design" as the CTBUH does. They treat them as nonexistent poles.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #795
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
It could very well have a spire. DOB doesn't consider them "integrated into the design" as the CTBUH does. They treat them as nonexistent poles.
the article on the previous page had this quote

“There won’t be a spire or anything like that, the floors will go all the way to the top, or almost to the top, with some mechanicals above,” Mr. Barnett said. “This is not a gimmick.”
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #796
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
You didn't read the article. http://observer.com/2012/11/gary-bar...50-foot-tower/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #797
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

My apologies. I was basing that off of the discussion yesterday when the information was first released. Please disregard that statement.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #798
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

What does it mean that it will be "Slender, but solid"?
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #799
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
"That would make it the world’s sixth tallest building" < haha, i love how they always treat a proposed building like the world would stand still for a while because yeah, if it finishes today it would surely be the sixth tallest, but in at least 4 years it surely will not be anymore. still remarkable height and i hope new york finally gets the iconic tower it deserves
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #800
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
You forgot the store here. Which will eliminate it from this category.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall