daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #8021
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2376

maybe, not ...? lol
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #8022
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Johnson View Post
NYC is crazy & people there are absolutely insane too ) it's different than other US / right?right?)))
Not sure why you're saying New Yorkers are "absolutely insane"
They are not.

[/QUOTE]
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #8023
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
the last thing I wanted to see in NY was the skinny CPT, oh crap!

Better skinny and tall than bulky and short. This is NYC, you have to compromise. Rules exist. air rights, setbacks, etc.. Midtown is protected from becoming overly dark and dank by light and air requirements in zoning codes.

Last edited by JohnDee; October 16th, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:18 AM   #8024
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Johnson View Post
NYC is crazy & people there are absolutely insane too ) it's different than other US / right?right?)))
No, Nonsense.

NY is a concentrated and extreme version of most of Urban America, so its a bit different. But to say that people are insane (are you serious?) is another level of dumb.

Last edited by JohnDee; October 17th, 2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old October 16th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #8025
DeaconG
Registered Kibitzer

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
And every floor will be essentially the same until the very top.

From the vantage point in the above picture, you'll be able to see the slimmest sliver of space between CPS and CPT. It doesn't take a CPU to figure that out.
You had to go there, didn't you?
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2
DeaconG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #8026
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconG View Post
You had to go there, didn't you?
Is that your view? If so, sorry you're going to lose part of the park view. But you'll also gain a great view of these two buildings... and the sliver in between.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #8027
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

D72_2964_PC by Richard Pockat, on Flickr

D72_2990_PC by Richard Pockat, on Flickr

D72_3250_PC by Richard Pockat, on Flickr

D72_3943_PC.JPG by Richard Pockat, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; October 17th, 2017 at 12:09 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #8028
DeaconG
Registered Kibitzer

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Is that your view? If so, sorry you're going to lose part of the park view. But you'll also gain a great view of these two buildings... and the sliver in between.
Nope...I meant CPS, CPT...CPU...
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

SMCYB liked this post
DeaconG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #8029
JohnDee

This tower is designed by the folks who did the Burj in Dubai. Now, this shows what a guy like Barnett can do with architects of such talent. That is to say, dilute their talent. The tower is far too bland in design to be the tallest to roof in the USA. Not including the proposed spire to enhance the top of this dull flat roofed 470m building is typical of penny pinching Barnett.

The only saving grace is the vertical features on the facade and the glass, which hopefully will turn out per renders. The tower is a view machine basically for the wealthy, with little thought for making a statement in architecture.

Last edited by JohnDee; October 17th, 2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #8030
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Love the Fall colors starting to come out

Imagine this same view this time next year though. It will be very different
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #8031
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
This tower is designed by the folks who did the Burj in Dubai. Now, this shows what a guy like Barnett can do with architects of such talent. That is to say, dilute their talent. The tower is far too bland in design to be the tallest to roof in the USA. Not including the proposed spire to enhance the top of this dull flat roofed 470m building is typical of penny pinching Barnett.

The only saving grace is the vertical features on the facade and the glass, which hopefully will turn out per renders. The tower is a view machine basically for the wealthy, with little thought for making a statement in architecture.
Well, Burj Dubai, other than its height, doesn't make a statement in architecture either, its design is pretty bland to, a three legged tower with setbacks and a facade with nothing outstanding. Much better is the Shanghai Tower, altough it could look simpler at first sight, is richer than BD, with a simple but elegant shape, and some features such as its double skin with public spaces between them. In NY, of course there is Steinway Tower.

Nuwanda, Qweoiu, Crowns n' Spires liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #8032
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Well, Burj Dubai, other than its height, doesn't make a statement in architecture either, its design is pretty bland to, a three legged tower with setbacks and a facade with nothing outstanding. Much better is the Shanghai Tower, altough it could look simpler at first sight, is richer than BD, with a simple but elegant shape, and some features such as its double skin with public spaces between them. In NY, of course there is Steinway Tower.
True. Burj is a stunt. There was no financial imperative to build that high.
Old October 17th, 2017, 04:44 AM   #8033
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
True. Burj is a stunt. There was no financial imperative to build that high.
What has that got to do with it? The final product and design is what I'm interested in, not WHY it was built. And no, the building is hardly bland. It is a statement in architecture if there ever was one, its height being one of the things that makes it so. It soars like a cathedral spire.

This tower is just another bland box for the rich centering on views of Central Park as the primary draw, not on being a statement for a city like the Burj. That seems like a wasted opportunity honestly but I'm sure it will make Barnett a ton of cash.

Crowns n' Spires liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; October 17th, 2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 04:59 AM   #8034
Nuwanda

Quote:
What has that got to do with it? The final product and design is what I'm interested in, not WHY it was built. And no, the building is hardly bland. It is a statement in architecture if there ever was one, its height being one of the things that makes it so. It soars like a cathedral spire.

This tower is just another bland box for the rich centering on views of Central Park as the primary draw, not on being a statement for a city like the Burj. That seems like a wasted opportunity honestly but I'm sure it will make Barnett a ton of cash.
Well thanks for telling me what you're interested in, but I was agreeing with CCs77 and adding that there was no financial imperative to build it that high.

Take it or leave it.
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #8035
JohnDee

Quote:
Well thanks for telling me what you're interested in, but I was agreeing with CCs77 and adding that there was no financial imperative to build it that high.

Take it or leave it.
I'm here to disagree with you. That building could hardly be considered bland. It is an 800m tower with an interesting facade and graceful shape that soars like a cathedral spire. If you consider that most of the classical renowned buildings you see are just boxes with nice facades, I don't see how a towering landmark structure and engineering statement like this could be considered such.

Now if you consider the Burj bland, I don't know how you can tolerate watching a box like this one go up.

Joshua Dodd liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; October 17th, 2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #8036
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

This tower isn’t going to be all that striking because some out of the box design features (pun intended) but it is going to be striking due to the fact that it’s tall as hell and will impact the skyline from nearly all angles.
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #8037
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31717

Quote:
Now if you consider the Burj bland, I don't know how you can tolerate watching a box like this one go up.
JuanPaulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #8038
Nuwanda

Quote:
I'm here to disagree with you. That building could hardly be considered bland. It is an 800m tower with an interesting facade and graceful shape that soars like a cathedral spire. If you consider that most of the classical renowned buildings you see are just boxes with nice facades, I don't see how a towering landmark structure and engineering statement like this could be considered such.

And we can all disagree with each other, ad nauseam. The trick is not to fall into the trap of elevating your subjective appreciation to objective fact. That I don't find the Burj a standout doesn't mean others can't. If you're suggesting the Burj is objectively aesthetically-pleasing, then you'll fail at the first attempt. You also conflate it with other "classical" buildings. Well, your idea of classical is obviously very different from mine, which illustrates the problem again.

Further, it's coincidental I don't find the Burj too pretty. My main point is that it (and many others) was built for reasons other than those tall buildings are usually built for, that is, under the financial imperatives of land scarcity. Fine. But I call that a stunt. An impressive stunt, but a stunt nevertheless. Now regardless of its stunt status in my eyes, I could still find it attractive as the two things aren't necessarily related. I just don't happen to.
Old October 18th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #8039
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25108

Quote:
...The trick is not to fall into the trap of elevating your subjective appreciation to objective fact...
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #8040
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Quote:
What has that got to do with it? The final product and design is what I'm interested in, not WHY it was built.
This is a good illustration of how different folks appreciate architecture (and I'd say this also applies to all works of art, design, etc.) using different criteria.

It sounds like you engage with these buildings purely on an aesthetic level. That's cool. Beauty is great, and there's a whole spectrum of taste with which to appreciate it -- you find the Burj Khalifa terrific, Nuwanda finds it bland, I fall somewhere in between.

But it's also just one aspect about which people can appreciate a structure. Some folks on this forum are obsessed with statistics. Others can't get enough of groundbreaking engineering feats. Others are most compelled by history, social relevance, urban design, relationship with the natural world, nostalgia, etc. From my anecdotal experience on this forum, I would say most people's opinions of a tower are informed by a collection of some or all of those factors.

Personally, I find most of the billionaire's row towers including CPT fine in terms of pure aesthetics (Steinway is the exception), but thrilling in terms of their groundbreaking engineering and impossible silhouettes. And I take a certain vicarious pride that they're the product of conditions totally unique to New York, and at the same time I get a little sick to my stomach when I think the class stratification they represent.

All of which is to say, opinions are complicated, highly personal, not to mention more emotional than logical. We should all try to keep that in mind when sharing and commenting on one another's opinions.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall