daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #8221
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2732

Suddenly I feel like if I was having a really hard time reading in english... is it just me?

BTW, 432 is showing us the beginning of a new era with slender skyscrapers, in the near future this structures will be sticking out of the skyline, giving it a glimpse of what Manhattan used to be in the early 20th century, which IMO is gonna be freacking cool.

Dammit NY is booming.

nylkoorB liked this post
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #8222
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

skyline pic shows it is essentially the same height as carnegie hall tower across the street, so 230m
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #8223
NYC87

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
Suddenly I feel like if I was having a really hard time reading in english... is it just me?

BTW, 432 is showing us the beginning of a new era with slender skyscrapers, in the near future this structures will be sticking out of the skyline, giving it a glimpse of what Manhattan used to be in the early 20th century, which IMO is gonna be freacking cool.

Dammit NY is booming.
It'll look a bit like Coruscant soon with so many tall slivers including the world's most spindly skyscraper.
NYC87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #8224
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC87 View Post
It'll look a bit like Coruscant soon with so many tall slivers including the world's most spindly skyscraper.
Makes sense. Coruscant was modeled after Metropolis which was modeled after New York City.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #8225
Luca9A8M

Likes (Received): 7580

11 December 2017

by JC_Heights on yimbyforums

by JC_Heights on yimbyforums

Infesus, sgollis, richyboy, Munwon, nylkoorB and 3 others liked this post
Luca9A8M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #8226
NYC87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Makes sense. Coruscant was modeled after Metropolis which was modeled after New York City.
I didn't know it was modeled after Metropolis. Superman Metropolis or 1927 Metropolis?
Old December 12th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #8227
SMCYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC87 View Post
I didn't know it was modeled after Metropolis. Superman Metropolis or 1927 Metropolis?
1927 - Fritz Lang
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #8228
Alvarody

Likes (Received): 710

Saberwolf_99, dres0ne, ballom liked this post
Alvarody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #8229
SMCYB

I rarely prefer a spire. Only when it works with the design of the building instead of looking slapped on (see the above rendering). Chrysler is a good example of a spire working well, and all the Chrysler copies like in Philly, Atlanta, plus the Shard, etc. IMO this one is as good as it will get without the spire.
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #8230
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
I rarely prefer a spire. Only when it works with the design of the building instead of looking slapped on (see the above rendering).
Totally agree. While I think a spire could have been nice in terms of breaking up the plateau, that particular spire was plain ugly. A worse version of the BofA spire with zero relationship to the tower.

I'd like to have seen a glass-enclosed spire, in the style of the Comcast Innovation Center's "lantern," extending the form of the cantilevered Eastern volume. Something like this (apologies for the crap cut-and-paste quality) maybe:

But barring something properly integrated into the rest of the tower, we're better off without the spire.

Eddie55, gaab1972, SMCYB liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #8231
Jfriedl

Likes (Received): 28

December 11, 2017

Infesus, richyboy, spectre000, gaab1972, SMCYB and 5 others liked this post
Jfriedl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #8232
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23078

ICE_RINK_CENTRAL_PARK by miki pryor, on Flickr
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #8233
goodybear

Likes (Received): 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
This afternoon.

Same view in 2 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Rendering of 220 CPS and Central Park Tower from Broadway

@otie
I wonder if the poster from Wicked will still be there by then though
~3-5m, 1fl

Zabonz, Kyll.Ing., rockinmoz liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #8234
NYC87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Totally agree. While I think a spire could have been nice in terms of breaking up the plateau, that particular spire was plain ugly. A worse version of the BofA spire with zero relationship to the tower.

I'd like to have seen a glass-enclosed spire, in the style of the Comcast Innovation Center's "lantern," extending the form of the cantilevered Eastern volume. Something like this (apologies for the crap cut-and-paste quality) maybe:

But barring something properly integrated into the rest of the tower, we're better off without the spire.
Postwar spires seem to make sense less often. The antennae and spires of the buildings that have held the world's tallest record worked and don't seem like cheap height but some others just looked tacked on for the heck of it. The CPT spire doesn't fit aesthetically but would've made Midtown tall like heck for neighborhoods more than a bit closer to it than the World Trade Center. i.e. Columbia University, LaGuardia Airport
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #8235
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

This looks a LOT worse than the original spire.

Hudson11, cnbnca liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #8236
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 555

The Comcast Tower is an eyesore ... Philadelphia got a raw deal with how that turned out. Don't want to bring that to NYC.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #8237
hateman

Likes (Received): 1841

Spires look tacked on 9/10 times. Just look at Wilishire Grand.

If you want to look back at better designs, might as well look back at the original sculptural design:

We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #8238
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
It must be over 220 meters already.. And it will be over 2 times as high!! Imagine.. It'll have total skyline dominance.
Too thin to have the kind of skyline dominance you're talking about. Skyscrapers that dominate skylines have a weight to their silhouette. A presence that comes not just from height but from width and shape.

It's why 30 Rock has more impact than, say, the BoA Tower. It's also why I think even with its height and location, this tower will be eclipsed by something like One Vanderbilt. And that's just Midtown. I still think the focal point of Manhattan for the foreseeable future will be the new WTC complex, even when it's buildings are beaten in height and size.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #8239
NYC87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Too thin to have the kind of skyline dominance you're talking about. Skyscrapers that dominate skylines have a weight to their silhouette. A presence that comes not just from height but from width and shape.

It's why 30 Rock has more impact than, say, the BoA Tower. It's also why I think even with its height and location, this tower will be eclipsed by something like One Vanderbilt. And that's just Midtown. I still think the focal point of Manhattan for the foreseeable future will be the new WTC complex, even when it's buildings are beaten in height and size.
Millions of people would disagree. From their home the Midtown skyline's closer and looks more dominant. You have a point though, have you seen 30 Rock from the thin side in Jersey or Queens? It looks so tiny and not dominant. I haven't seen New York by air from far away but Downtown's probably the focal point of Manhattan from there for the foreseeable future. Downtown isn't #1 in everything though. Around 2006 I circumnavigated Midtown in Google Earth at various heights and the skyline had a "plateau level" of about 800 feet above sea level (subtract c. 40-80 feet for above ground). And while it's very fuzzy where the equivalent level was on Downtown my best guess was 720 feet above sea level (subtract c. 6-30 feet for above ground). The top 10-12 buildings don't affect this ultimate measure of width since that's not enough of them to look like a plateau from Bloomberg to Penn Station or 55 Water to Goldman Sachs Tower. It also has more square feet of office space and is the biggest central business district in the world. Downtown's skyline has the plusses of maximum height, looking more crammed with skyscrapers, having existed for longer and cooler geography. It's on the tip of a peninsula in a big bay instead of a nondescript location and getting there by sea is awesome whether you're coming from the Old World or Staten Island)
Old December 19th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #8240
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23078

must be encroaching 750' by now. For reference, Cityspire Center is 814' although it is closer to the shooting point.

Of colors and skylines by IrishRedBeard, on Flickr
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall