daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2018, 02:15 AM   #8281
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

I would have to agree with Baronson about this. Although, the simplicity of it's design is rather mundane in the tapestry of Manhattan architecture. However, it is still interesting, nonetheless.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:59 AM   #8282
Modestas Gailius

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
I think a lot of the hate 432 gets is because it was the first one up on the 57th street corridor. It opens itself up to more criticism than usual because whether you like it or not, it breaks the plateau from many vantage points. If 432 were among the last towers to go up (say after 157 and CPT), I don't think people would be as vocal about their disdain for it.

I'm convinced the hate will die down in a few years after the rest of the buildings fill in on the 57th street corridor. The Twins were widely criticized for their obnoxious size and boring box like appearance when they were first built. After some context was built around it, they slowly were more appreciated and loved.

At any rate, given the sheer height of the building, it is great to use for way finding in the city ( much like the ESB and WTC 1).

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think the spire is coming back to CPT. But after the new renderings, I think that is quite OK. It looks fine without it.
Steinway and CPT are to far away. IMO 425 PA has a better chance at complementing this tower even though it isn't tall enough but since its one of the few stylish buildings in this area it should make up for 423 ugliness .
Modestas Gailius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 03:35 AM   #8283
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1706

Quote:
I think a lot of the hate 432 gets is because it was the first one up on the 57th street corridor. It opens itself up to more criticism than usual because whether you like it or not, it breaks the plateau from many vantage points. If 432 were among the last towers to go up (say after 157 and CPT), I don't think people would be as vocal about their disdain for it.

I'm convinced the hate will die down in a few years after the rest of the buildings fill in on the 57th street corridor. The Twins were widely criticized for their obnoxious size and boring box like appearance when they were first built. After some context was built around it, they slowly were more appreciated and loved.

At any rate, given the sheer height of the building, it is great to use for way finding in the city ( much like the ESB and WTC 1).
I think you're right. Since it's the first that tall it naturally gets your attention, and it will stand out for a long time because of its sheer whiteness. That's good and bad in my opinion... good because it makes its presence known prominently, but bad because it does so in a way that's like a spotlight outshining an elegant chandelier.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 07:45 AM   #8284
baronson

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
I think you're right. Since it's the first that tall it naturally gets your attention, and it will stand out for a long time because of its sheer whiteness. That's good and bad in my opinion... good because it makes its presence known prominently, but bad because it does so in a way that's like a spotlight outshining an elegant chandelier.
I think by the time the elegant chandelier crown arrives via the Steinway tower, most people will be like "432what?"

SMCYB liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:56 AM   #8285
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 922

432 Park Avenue is what first got me in to this forum, time and time again.. It has that appeal.. Luckily we have had many more since and still ongoing. It's gonna be a great year!

Jillestalin, SMCYB liked this post
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:06 PM   #8286
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1269

True, this year will change NYCs skyline as much as the 1930s did.
Old January 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM   #8287
Modestas Gailius

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
True, this year will change NYCs skyline as much as the 1930s did.
Not familiar much with the history of NYC. Was the 1930s the boom years ?
Modestas Gailius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 06:08 PM   #8288
Lightton

Likes (Received): 1693

HAPPY NEW YEAR. Here's hoping that the New Year is in every way complete. With HAPPINESS, SUCCESS, good HEALTH and all that makes LIFE SWEET.
All the best friends from NY ...!

Zaz965 liked this post
Lightton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 07:42 PM   #8289
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestas Gailius View Post
Absolutely!

Here: skyscraperpage.com Go to diagrams, type New York as city, type 1930 as min. year and 1940 as max. year.. Then ->Search<- and see what comes up.

..Then do the same kind of search for the 2010s. Its incredible!
Old January 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM   #8290
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestas Gailius View Post
Yes, including the Empire State Building, Chrysler, and Rockefeller Center.

Modestas Gailius liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:08 PM   #8291
Luca9A8M

Likes (Received): 7511

From 1900 to 2018

Using data from skyscraperpage.com

McSky, Assemblage23, Pohtija, gaab1972, FrasP and 4 others liked this post
Luca9A8M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:31 PM   #8292
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 842

It's interesting to note what happened to the pace of construction after that big boom in the Roaring 20s - very little until the mid-50s.

nylkoorB liked this post
Dave-in-Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:50 PM   #8293
Ryer

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Toronto View Post
It's interesting to note what happened to the pace of construction after that big boom in the Roaring 20s - very little until the mid-50s.
Yeah, it was quite a depressing time.
Ryer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:27 PM   #8294
Pohtija
Dragonlike

I guess it was the 1930s great depression and WW2 right after that..

So the 1930s skyscraper boom actually began in the 20s and ended mid 30s..
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM   #8295
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
I guess it was the 1930s great depression and WW2 right after that..

So the 1930s skyscraper boom actually began in the 20s and ended mid 30s..
I think you could even say that it started and ended in the 1920s. It takes a while between the purchase of land and construction begins, after all. The big towers must all have been contracted before the 1929 crash.

Dave-in-Toronto liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 05:12 PM   #8296
exodius

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Exactly!! Once the current towers under construction are done, it'll be nice to see a new row of skyscrapers line Central Park! It'll truly feel like the "future" with Hudson Yards, Manhattan West, WTC, and other developments finishing up by the 2020s! To think... there are proposals we'll see this year alone that we haven't imagined yet will one day take place! New buildings even taller than 1WTC in other parts of NYC! Who knows?

Pohtija liked this post
exodius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:46 PM   #8297
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1549

Quote:

America was a little busy back then building battleships and tanks.
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:20 PM   #8298
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
America was a little busy back then building battleships and tanks.
I know the history of the Great Depression and WW2. I was thinking more about the future, and how after that Roaring 20s boom, there was a long lull in construction. Could the same thing happen in the next few years in NYC, or in the West in general? I don't have a crystal ball, but it would be nice to know.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:36 PM   #8299
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23002

Quote:
I know the history of the Great Depression and WW2. I was thinking more about the future, and how after that Roaring 20s boom, there was a long lull in construction. Could the same thing happen in the next few years in NYC, or in the West in general? I don't have a crystal ball, but it would be nice to know.
There was plenty constructed between the 40's and 60's, but none of it was anything that significantly altered the skyline like during the 30s. Midtown East saw the first of its modern international style buildings during this period, and the UN Campus was built. These were literally overshadowed by the modern international style boom during the 60's through the 80s. That was when you got One Chase Manhattan Plaza, the Metlife/Panam Building, the WTC, The XYZ Buildings, the Downtown Waterfront Towers and a slew of other big boxes.

Last edited by Hudson11; January 2nd, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:46 PM   #8300
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Could the same thing happen in the next few years in NYC, or in the West in general? I don't have a crystal ball, but it would be nice to know.
As long as the West continues on this trajectory of corporations and high-net-worth individuals consolidating wealth, skyscrapers will continue to rise.

Which is not to say that there won't be lulls in the market. We just went through a massive boom, so naturally a glut and dip in demand will follow. But the main engines of skyscraper growth -- large office tenants and condo buyers -- are becoming increasingly immune to recession/depression.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall