daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #861
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Isn't that obelisk just a recreation of an original one found in Egypt?
I know this is O/T but I actually wrote a blog piece about the obelisk a few weeks ago. It so rarely gets the attention it deserves!

KeithYorkCity
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:15 PM   #862
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It has a large residential component, and its site has been commandeered by the MTA for years for development of the new subway line. It will be built.
That changes thing. I still thought it was meant to be an office tower.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM   #863
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
That changes thing. I still thought it was meant to be an office tower.
No. It's mixed use with an office component and a residential component, perhaps a hotel too. Anyway, nothing can happen until, as noted, the MtA finishes its work on the site.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #864
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Girasole is already so long in the proposed phase that I doubt if there is demand for such a huge tower. (still no tenants after all these years)
As noted, the Girasole is a mixed-use project, and its office component is actuall relatively small (1.2m sf). The tower's other 400k sf consists of apartments and perhaps a hotel. (The yellow portion below shows the residential space.)

Anyway, as noted, nothing can happen here until the MTA completes its work at this site.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:38 PM   #865
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://observer.com/2012/12/demoliti...-street-tower/

Demolition Begins on 1780 Broadway, Final Piece of Barnett’s 1,550-Foot 57th Street Tower
By Matt Chaban 12:10pm

Share this:Twitter2FacebookRedditEmailPrint
Going up to come down. (Matt Chaban)

The facade of 1780 Broadway will be retained, but that’s it. (Matt Chaban)
No sooner did Extell Development file permits for a new 1,550-foot residential tower on the corner of 57th Street and Broadway then scaffolding started to go up around one of the final properties comprising Gary Barnett’s little west side assemblage that will be home to the city’s tallest tower. On Friday morning, The Observer happened to be out for a stroll on the crosstown boulevard when we noticed construction workers assembling a sidewalk shed, the first sign of construction commencement.

A source close to Extell confirms that demolition will soon begin on 1780 Broadway, a 12-story building that was once home to BF Goodrich. At the time, this corner of Gotham was known as Automobile Row during the Gilded Age. Because of an agreement with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, the facade of 1780 Broadway must be retained as part of any new building, so this will presumably be a careful deconstruction....Is this a sign that this new building might indeed start rising sooner rather than later? “Once a building is torn down, a new one tends to rise,” according to our source. “It’s quite possible.”

That would be an impressive feat, given that One57 is not even finished. Then again, if that building is indeed almost sold out, Mr. Barnett will need something else to start selling to the billionaires of the world, eh? Which begs the question, what could he possibly build next to top these two?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #866
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Great news
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #867
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
http://observer.com/2012/12/demoliti...-street-tower/

Demolition Begins on 1780 Broadway, Final Piece of Barnett’s 1,550-Foot 57th Street Tower
By Matt Chaban 12:10pm

Share this:Twitter2FacebookRedditEmailPrint
Going up to come down. (Matt Chaban)

The facade of 1780 Broadway will be retained, but that’s it. (Matt Chaban)
No sooner did Extell Development file permits for a new 1,550-foot residential tower on the corner of 57th Street and Broadway then scaffolding started to go up around one of the final properties comprising Gary Barnett’s little west side assemblage that will be home to the city’s tallest tower. On Friday morning, The Observer happened to be out for a stroll on the crosstown boulevard when we noticed construction workers assembling a sidewalk shed, the first sign of construction commencement.

A source close to Extell confirms that demolition will soon begin on 1780 Broadway, a 12-story building that was once home to BF Goodrich. At the time, this corner of Gotham was known as Automobile Row during the Gilded Age. Because of an agreement with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, the facade of 1780 Broadway must be retained as part of any new building, so this will presumably be a careful deconstruction....Is this a sign that this new building might indeed start rising sooner rather than later? “Once a building is torn down, a new one tends to rise,” according to our source. “It’s quite possible.”

That would be an impressive feat, given that One57 is not even finished. Then again, if that building is indeed almost sold out, Mr. Barnett will need something else to start selling to the billionaires of the world, eh? Which begs the question, what could he possibly build next to top these two?
This is incredible, the NYC residential market is fullfilling dream after dream for us skyscraper fanatics
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:15 PM   #868
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

They really don't waste any time.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:25 PM   #869
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Mr.Barnett will forever be an icon of New York City after this tower is completed.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #870
Lodgy Lion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
Mr.Barnett will forever be an icon of New York City after this tower is completed.
225 West 57th Street
One57
International Gem Tower

Quite a collection, and he's not finished!
Lodgy Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #871
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I just hope the design is ground breaking this time.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #872
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I just hope the design is ground breaking this time.
i hope not. a lot of new york buildings choose a crazy design and a lot of buildings and future buildings get smaller and smaller foot prints. new york is taking the dubai marina route and only simple, modern and "normal" buildings can counter part that.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #873
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Absolutely agree on that KZA.
New York needs some simple boxy towers, just so the special ones can stand out more.
Shouldn't go after Dubai, where every single tower tries to impress with the craziest designs.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #874
aquablue
BANNED

Well, i'm amazed. NYC is mostly box designs, haven't you had enough?

I also have no interest in Dubai Marina, none of those designs are what I consider high quality progressive ground breaking buildings.

Last edited by aquablue; December 4th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #875
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Expected completion date anyone?
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #876
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Well, i'm amazed. NYC is mostly box designs, haven't you had enough?
chicago is mostly box designs, new york has a lot of spires and crowns for the buildings that really stick out (above ~250m) a lot of different stuff, which can be good, especially because old and modern buildings mix great together, but when modern towers try to be special instead of fitting into the sheme it just looks weird. it doesn't have to be only boxes. 2WTC or hudson yard are good examples, they are not boxes, they are unique and still do not look like they try to steal attention from the skyline or stick out. just modern, simple designs is what the skyline needs in my opinion without anymore spires, new york has already too many of them (luckily that trend seems to have stopped in new york anyway) the skyline of new york is amazing, so i hope they do the right thing by not making it into a cluster**** like some parts of dubai (i also love dubai though, but it is like a hate love for the disney las vegas style it has with a lot of towers that seem weird combined together), yet that style does not fit to new york at all.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #877
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
chicago is mostly box designs, new york has a lot of spires and crowns for the buildings that really stick out (above ~250m) a lot of different stuff, which can be good, especially because old and modern buildings mix great together, but when modern towers try to be special instead of fitting into the sheme it just looks weird. it doesn't have to be only boxes. 2WTC or hudson yard are good examples, they are not boxes, they are unique and still do not look like they try to steal attention from the skyline or stick out. just modern, simple designs is what the skyline needs in my opinion without anymore spires, new york has already too many of them (luckily that trend seems to have stopped in new york anyway) the skyline of new york is amazing, so i hope they do the right thing by not making it into a cluster**** like some parts of dubai (i also love dubai though, but it is like a hate love for the disney las vegas style it has with a lot of towers that seem weird combined together), yet that style does not fit to new york at all.
I completely disagree. Most towers are mainly boxy geometry, spire or not. I'm talking about organic and complex geometry that would give NY a new direction in innovation in architecture. I don't believe that NY has to have a certain type of simple style to 'fit in'. That is the wrong direction IMO. Although most towers are going to be simple due to economics, the occasional stand out tower that goes in a different direction can only help to bring a new flavor to the skyline. When I said "groundbreaking" I never said dubai and i certainly didn't say 'tacky'. I said, high quality ground breaking design. Dubai is not my vision for NY, Believe me. I'm thinking the Shard in London, Seoul Lotte, Shanghai Tower, Ping An, etc.

Last edited by aquablue; December 4th, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #878
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post

Absolutely agree on that KZA.
New York needs some simple boxy towers, just so the special ones can stand out more.
Shouldn't go after Dubai, where every single tower tries to impress with the craziest designs.
Emm, NY has plenty of average boxes. I want this ONE to stand out and have an amazing innovative design, as this will be the tallest bloody building in NY, is that really too much to ask? We already have a tall SIMPLE box down the street going up (400+) and other new boxes nearby, and I hope we don't see that here.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #879
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I´d prefer a more reserved design, over a flashy design that follows currents trends, that will be outdated very soon. The box was cutting edge when it was invented, what do we generelly think about them now?

This new and gigantic towers are buildings that will stand there, when we are already history. So the designs have to be carefully choosen. I for myself would be glad to see a simple but innovative tower here with one focal key element which evokes awe. Something, people would say "this is NY how we know it, and NY how it will be". A tower which translates the past, into the future, in a subtle, harmonic and elegant way.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #880
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Very well said.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall