daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ŧ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #881
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Very well said.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #882
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I disagree, I feel we need to move beyond the past and redefine NY for the 21st century. We need to build with an eye towards the future not the present. Everyone loves Tower Verre, and that is in no way a simple tower. What I'd like to see is something that is even more complex, detailed, and completely different from the NY we know. Of course, what we'll get is the usual art-deco inspired set-backed tower, so don't you worry!

I really don't understand the conservatism when it comes to NY. Why do you want NY to remain in the same design realm rather than branch out into far more adventurous areas? The mix of styles has always given NY its true character. NY should never become a city that is constrained by conservative thinking in design and it should not turn its back on new innovative trends in architecture as far as I'm concerned. It needs to get back its cutting edge in design that it somehow lost during the last 30 years or so.

Last edited by aquablue; December 4th, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #883
germantower
i ♥ NY

I said a tower that is forward thinking, with respect towards the past of this city. Also, what is a 21st century design for you? Something out of Star Wars?
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #884
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

tower verre is probably my least favorite supertall U/C and Pro in north america right now. and that is exactly what i meant with crazy designs i prefer to not see rising, but then again i love the Penn one which a lot of people seemed to hate. every man it's own beer i guess.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #885
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I said a tower that is forward thinking, with respect towards the past of this city. Also, what is a 21st century design for you? Something out of Star Wars?
Shard, Shanghai Tower, Lotte Tower, etc, Pinnacle, etc. Also, I figure we don't need to respect the past, as the past is limiting. The past will give us more art-deco inspired towers or boxy styles and put a set of prison cell walls around true progress in design.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #886
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
chicago is mostly box designs, new york has a lot of spires and crowns for the buildings that really stick out (above ~250m) a lot of different stuff, which can be good, especially because old and modern buildings mix great together, but when modern towers try to be special instead of fitting into the sheme it just looks weird. it doesn't have to be only boxes. 2WTC or hudson yard are good examples, they are not boxes, they are unique and still do not look like they try to steal attention from the skyline or stick out. just modern, simple designs is what the skyline needs in my opinion without anymore spires, new york has already too many of them (luckily that trend seems to have stopped in new york anyway) the skyline of new york is amazing, so i hope they do the right thing by not making it into a cluster**** like some parts of dubai (i also love dubai though, but it is like a hate love for the disney las vegas style it has with a lot of towers that seem weird combined together), yet that style does not fit to new york at all.
It's really strange what you're saying considering you're big fan of moscow cbd or seoul cbd where literally every single tower tries to stand out. But I agree in general. Best skylines are those where most of the buildings creates uniform background made of buildings of similar shape with only few standing out. And I consider NY to be such city where most towers are background creating boxes or towers with setbacks. So if there is any way to determine which few should be standing out landmarks then I think it's obvious to go by the height and, guess what, this one is going to be the tallest in the city so I really don't see a reason why it's design shouldn't be special. But then again some people seems to forget that special and standing out doesn't necessary have to mean tacky, out of class and without respect to the surroundings.

Oh and btw Torre Verre is imo the most NY-ish proposal at the moment
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; December 4th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #887
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

True, but to me, NY is also 100 years of skscraper history, compared to the very recent and single style skylines of Dubai or Moscow.

This one may become an icon, simply because due to its height, it will be visible from far around.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #888
germantower
i ♥ NY

Off Topic: Where is the other big plot people mentioned,that Barnett owns on 57th?
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #889
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Off Topic: Where is the other big plot people mentioned,that Barnett owns on 57th?
He owns a small plot at 16 W 57th. It's being demolished and a 30 story hotel will rise there.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #890
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think what this building needs is simplicity. I don't like tacky towers, for example 56 Leonard. On the other hand it shouldn't be an art deco copy either. In my opinion it should be simple yet modern, for example like the Hong Kong ICC. That is what I call a good 21st century design
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #891
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

What a coincidence, the roof height of the International Commerce Center is 471m.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #892
aquablue
BANNED

56 Leonard is not tacky that is ridiculous. It is designed by HdeM who have immense talent and it is a high quality deconstructivist design. Not every building needs to be simple, boxy or monolithic to be beautiful. Open your minds.

A tacky tower is one that is cheap, uses poor materials and generally poorly done in every way. A tower designed to attract attention but doesn't follow through on quality. It has nothing to do with how complex or simple the design is.

Given that this tower in no way will have the impact of an ICC, a more extroverted design wouldn't pose a problem given the breadth of the tower will surely diminish as the tower reaches its apex.

Last edited by aquablue; December 4th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #893
germantower
i ♥ NY

I invite everyone in this thread, who says NYC isnīt forward thinking, to look at the renders, that have been released today, of the Hudson Yards project. This is true quality architecture, and this one will follow the movement.

I am glad to live in such an exciting time of development, and canīt wait to go back to NYC soon.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #894
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
I invite everyone in this thread, who says NYC isnīt forward thinking, to look at the renders, that have been released today, of the Hudson Yards project. This is true quality architecture, and this one will follow the movement.

I am glad to live in such an exciting time of development, and canīt wait to go back to NYC soon.
They are great towers, but are they really 'cutting edge' architecture? I have my doubts on that point.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #895
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
They are great towers, but are they really 'cutting edge' architecture? I have my doubts on that point.
ok we got your point 10 posts ago, time to move on
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #896
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
ok we got your point 10 posts ago, time to move on
I wasn't replying to you.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #897
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I wasn't replying to you.
you are now arent you
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #898
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Arguments everywhere...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #899
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Found by NYguy SSP

Don't take as a fact for right now though.

http://www.t2conline.com/monopoly-on-57th/

Quote:
You may have noticed that the Morton Williams building moved down the street. The reason is Nordstrom’s. Their new building will be 1700ft high making it the tallest apartment building in Manhattan.One 57th street is only a 1004ft high. Both are the babies of real estate mogul Gary Barnett of Extell Development will build this family based business deal. Before that the highest was at 1,397-foot tower under construction at the former Drake Hotel site at 432 Park Avenue South. One World Trade Center and 432 Park Avenue falls just under 1,400 feet in height. Nordstom itself will occupy 7 whole floors and will have approximately 280,000 square feet of space. Altogether 1.2 million square feet, with 800,00 going residential. The residential side will have 88-stories of residential feet with 233 units. The entrance will be 225 West 57th street. Look for another entrance at 1780 Broadway, but don’t look for much change as that is a historic landmark.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #900
aquablue
BANNED

I doubt it will be 1700 feet, but who knows! I'd be ecstatic if it got to 1600 feet.

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall