daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1221
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28168

Cool. This project is moving forward.

Highcliff liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM   #1222
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Wow, that would be fast

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1223
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Wait what? First quarter of 2013, they have one month left.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1224
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Any webcams on this?
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1225
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
Any webcams on this?
not yet, but i think there's a good chance a cam will be installed

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1226
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
According to "crainsnewyork.com"
"Excavation on the site's 40,000-square-foot footprint could begin by the first quarter of 2013."
This 40,000 sq foot footprint is as big as One WTC's footprint.
So the sides gotta be 200'X200' and if the plot is T-shaped, the sides will be larger yet...
I would be glad if you cited that figure with references..
Anyway, i think the sides will be by far larger than 117'
I said it'd be sides of 117 ft. if it was a square floorplan bottom-to-top. The fact that it'll have a floorplan with 200 ft sides. indicates that we'll have a tower with setbacks farther up. Thanks for the info, though.

As far as my works cited, here you go:

This tower will have 1,200,000 square feet. 88 floors will contribute to this space. If you divide 1,200,000 by 88, you'll get an average floorplan of 13,636 square feet. I said that'd be the number with a square floor plan top-to bottom, so that would indicate equal space per floor. I simply take the square root of that number to get 117, which would be the length of all four sides if it was a square floorplan top to bottom. However, since we'll have setbacks, that number will vary.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; February 23rd, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1227
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I just realized something really important. What I said in the above post about an average floor plan being 13,636 square feet? Well, that number times 3 is exactly 40,908 square feet. In a triangular prism, the center of gravity is 1/3 the height of the top. That same property would apply to floor plan space from bottom to top. It's very likely that this tower's shape could be a triangular prism sitting on one of its sides.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; February 23rd, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1228
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

888 7th Avenue looks to me like a good spot for a webcam.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #1229
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

These guys have some nice designs.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; February 24th, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #1230
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
These guys have some nice designs.
I like a lot of AS+GG's designs to date. Would you say that, with them behind the wheel, we're almost guaranteed something rounded or at least with some curves? It seems to be their trademark.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #1231
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I would assume so. Non-curvey can be great too though. Consider Torre Verre and the London Shard.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1232
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Right, I actually usually much prefer hard edges and angles. There aren't that many curvy buildings I love, but these guys seem to know how to make it work. I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on NYC's future tallest potentially being curvy, if anyone has any strong opinions about whether it would or wouldn't work in the context of the skyline as a whole. I don't live there but my general sense is that something like, say, Wuhan Greenland Center would feel odd -- "not New York." I felt the same way when I saw the renders of 15 Penn (which isn't even that curvaceous), there just isn't anything like that on the skyline.

All of which is to say, I'd bet money that whatever they come up with, even if it does have curves or rounded edges or whatever, still pays its homage to classic NY architecture -- setbacks, strong vertical lines, etc. AS+GG seem smart enough that they can be inventive while still keeping in context. Jin Mao is a great example.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #1233
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2375

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I said it'd be sides of 117 ft. if it was a square floorplan bottom-to-top. The fact that it'll have a floorplan with 200 ft sides. indicates that we'll have a tower with setbacks farther up. Thanks for the info, though.

As far as my works cited, here you go:

This tower will have 1,200,000 square feet. 88 floors will contribute to this space. If you divide 1,200,000 by 88, you'll get an average floorplan of 13,636 square feet. I said that'd be the number with a square floor plan top-to bottom, so that would indicate equal space per floor. I simply take the square root of that number to get 117, which would be the length of all four sides if it was a square floorplan top to bottom. However, since we'll have setbacks, that number will vary.
Let's hope for the best, anyways...

L.A.F.2. liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1234
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Right, I actually usually much prefer hard edges and angles. There aren't that many curvy buildings I love.
What about the Lipstick, Goldman, 919 2nd Ave, 750 Lex, 1261 2nd Ave., and One State Street. They are just some of the many curvy towers in Mahattan, and I love them all. To each his own though.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; February 24th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1235
Redzio
To ja!

Likes (Received): 6798

any renders of tower?
Redzio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #1236
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Right, I actually usually much prefer hard edges and angles. There aren't that many curvy buildings I love, but these guys seem to know how to make it work. I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on NYC's future tallest potentially being curvy, if anyone has any strong opinions about whether it would or wouldn't work in the context of the skyline as a whole. I don't live there but my general sense is that something like, say, Wuhan Greenland Center would feel odd -- "not New York." I felt the same way when I saw the renders of 15 Penn (which isn't even that curvaceous), there just isn't anything like that on the skyline.

All of which is to say, I'd bet money that whatever they come up with, even if it does have curves or rounded edges or whatever, still pays its homage to classic NY architecture -- setbacks, strong vertical lines, etc. AS+GG seem smart enough that they can be inventive while still keeping in context. Jin Mao is a great example.
A building shouldn't always have to pay homage to classic NY architecture. That isn't the best way to progress architectural innovation in NYC. I am totally pro a curvy building here and I hope the architect doesn't go art-deco, modernist or classic for inspiration for the umpteenth time. I want to see something highly modern (futurist?) and a style that NY does not currently know, such as the Greenland Center, Shanghai Tower, etc on a smaller scale. The fact that it will be different from the rest and stand out is a plus, not a negative. The London Gherkin was a massive aberration when it was built , but now it is being joined by sister towers of similar organic designs. That is what is needed, a catalyst building in NYC to pave the way for more interesting designs in the future and form the basis of a new modern style for NYC, rather than rehashing old styles over and over again. Manhattan is a melting pot of designs, I think it would be best to continue to provide contrast and evolve design rather than attempting to fit in. Trump Tower did wonders for Chicago's boxy skyline and gave it a conspicuous focal point that offers pleasing contrast to the hard edges all around. The same thing can happen in Manhattan.

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by aquablue; February 24th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1237
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzio View Post
any renders of tower?
not yet. but hopefully the design will be released soon
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1238
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2375

Am i the only one wishing a box for this proposal?
If I were priviliged to choose a design for this thing, I wouldn't get hurt with another Hearst tower with that freaking figure for Midtown.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1239
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
Am i the only one wishing a box for this proposal?
If I were priviliged to choose a design for this thing, I wouldn't get hurt with another Hearst tower with that freaking figure for Midtown.
Probably not, but I'm anti-box here. We have the park avenue tower to fulfill our boxy desires. I personally find the Hearst to be a pleasant design from the past, but I would prefer the new building to go far beyond that into unknown territory for the city as I have previously mentioned.

aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1240
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4488

I hope to see a very futuristic design here, setbacks or not (though i'm pressuming by the square footage and height there will be? or will it taper to a point?)

So that you will have the Empire State Building at one end of Midtown, with its 1920/30s architecture, and is still a very dominating building, then at the other end of the midtown cluster you have this building looking futuristic, showing how far skyscrapers have come since the early days, and then you have everything else inbetween.

iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall