daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1521
usafarid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Not exactly, the Empire State was the third tallest building of New York for thirty years, while the Twin Towers existed.
i say in midtown of manhattan not all manhattan !!!!
usafarid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1522
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
It will likely be behind the following 6 buildings in roof height when completed:
1. Burj Khalifa
2. Shanghai Tower
3. Goldin Finance 117
4. Ping An International Finance Center
5. Royal Mecca Hotel Clock Tower
6. Chow Tai Fook Guangzhou

Another 7 buildings will be close to this building in roof height and in close competition:
1. Zhongguo Zun
2. Lotte World Tower
3. Lotte Town Tower
4. Chow Tai Fook Binhai Center
5. Shanghai World Financial Center
6. International Commerce Center (Hong Kong)
7. International Commerce Center (Chongqing)

Finally, 4 buildings will be taller than this one but will likely finish later.
1. Kingdom Tower
2. Greenland Center (Wuhan)
3. Greenland Center (Dalian)
4. Rose Rock International Finance Center
Yes, very likely. But keep in mind that 472m represents most likely just the highest occupied floor (according to the DOB). So if this indeed has a roof height >500m it will be freaking awesome; for a city which builds its towers out of demand and in a (super)dense area at least.
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1523
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

I really don't care where this tower falls in world wide rankings. If it rises to its anticipated 1,550 feet with a good design, I will be incredibly happy.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1524
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafarid View Post
i say in midtown of manhattan not all manhattan !!!!
Yes, you are right.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #1525
æthær

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I seriously question all the people with a 600m tower obsession. In most cities that have a building over 600m (atm 2) and in most cities that are building them , or proposing. They will be isolated buildings, with a major lack in integration and propably a nightmare when it comes to infrastructure and the creation of a coherent look within its cities. I am glad that NYC is developing in a slow but steady pace, integrates its buildings into the fabric that evovled over 300years+ and creates canyons, which are unique. And most importantly, builds by needs, and not pipe dreams. Height is not everything, and even if this one ends with JUST a height of 500m. This is still fraking tall. A half kilometer straight up into the sky. I bet you 600m lovers/obsessionists havent seen a real supertall before. Because you wouldve been in awe by JUST 300M!!!!!!!!!!!Not to mention twice of that.
This is so ridiculous, we've had that discussion a million times already. And interestingly it's mostly Americans who are proud as hell if New York proposes a 400 m building, but as soon as an Asian city announces a megatall, "it's absolutely senseless". As if New York had always built "by need". ESB and Chrysler in the 30s and the WTC in the 70s were built for prestige just like the Burj or Shanghai Tower in recent years. Why should other nations than the United States not be allowed to raise a claim to power?

Megatalls are built in "isolated" areas, because that's the only thing which makes sense! A single megatall doesn't generate a lot of money, however, it's the surrounding area which becomes much more valuable and therefore generates the money. That's why the Burj Khalifa was built within the new "Downtown Dubai", same case with Kingdom Tower. Building a megatall in Manhattan would be quite senseless, nevertheless, in booming Asian cities it does make sense. Those megacities are planned to have multiple cores in order to cope with traffic problems etc. Still, you seem to think that those Asian people are just stupid, rich people who have no idea what to do with their money.

phoenixboi08, ThatOneGuy, spectre000 liked this post
æthær no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1526
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by æthær View Post
This is so ridiculous, we've had that discussion a million times already. And interestingly it's mostly Americans who are proud as hell if New York proposes a 400 m building, but as soon as an Asian city announces a megatall, "it's absolutely senseless". As if New York had always built "by need". ESB and Chrysler in the 30s and the WTC in the 70s were built for prestige just like the Burj or Shanghai Tower in recent years. Why should other nations than the United States not be allowed to raise a claim to power? ...Still, you seem to think that those Asian people are just stupid, rich people who have no idea what to do with their money.
Dude, you have a serious problem with the US.

Manitopiaaa liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1527
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

he has a point, however.

Eastern37 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1528
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Why should other nations than the United States not be allowed to raise a claim to power?
Because 'MERICA
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1529
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I did not know having the tallest building means power. Heck then lets build the biggest in the world then.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1530
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

I am totally agree with you. That fact that Dubai has the tallest building doesn't mean that UAE is the most powerful country in the world...
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1531
æthær

Likes (Received): 37

I never said that you can index the power of countries by their highest buildings. However, it is a fact that skyscrapers are usually a symbol of prosperity, growth and economic power.
æthær no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1532
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
This is so ridiculous, we've had that discussion a million times already. And interestingly it's mostly Americans who are proud as hell if New York proposes a 400 m building, but as soon as an Asian city announces a megatall, "it's absolutely senseless". As if New York had always built "by need". ESB and Chrysler in the 30s and the WTC in the 70s were built for prestige just like the Burj or Shanghai Tower in recent years. Why should other nations than the United States not be allowed to raise a claim to power?

Megatalls are built in "isolated" areas, because that's the only thing which makes sense! A single megatall doesn't generate a lot of money, however, it's the surrounding area which becomes much more valuable and therefore generates the money. That's why the Burj Khalifa was built within the new "Downtown Dubai", same case with Kingdom Tower. Building a megatall in Manhattan would be quite senseless, nevertheless, in booming Asian cities it does make sense. Those megacities are planned to have multiple cores in order to cope with traffic problems etc. Still, you seem to think that those Asian people are just stupid, rich people who have no idea what to do with their money.
Eh no.

1. The U.S. got a mature economy, whereas developing countries need something to put their cities on the map. And what's better than a shiny megatall? I don't blame them. Hong Kong is the most developed and richest Chinese city. It has two 400m+ skyscrapers. After the completion of the ICC in 2010 the city has not seen a single tower over 200m under construction and / or under way. Why? Well simply because the market is pretty much satisfied. Still, Hong Kong is the financial capital / hub in Asia (besides Tokyo and Singapore which btw don't even have a single supertall...).

2. Actually it's on the contrary. The last years where Dubai dominated the supertalls world, nearly everyone was going crazy when a supertall was announced, no matter the design or specific location. People who would slightly criticize any project in Dubai were being attacked and silenced even when the critique was absolutely justified.
Now it's more or less the same with Chinese projects. Any comment like "I don't like the design, it's a bit tacky for my taste" is considered an act of jealousy and envy. Ridiculous. In fact, Ping An Shenzhen and CTF Guangzhou are my favourite supertalls U/C right now, yet there are still some things to complain about - that's how it works, everywhere.
For example, have you been to the 1WTC thread lately? It's probably one of the most criticized projects ever ... and guess what ... by Americans!!

3. About Chrysler, ESB and WTC. That's right, those towers stood empty for some time. So if New York made that mistake decades ago, other cities have to do the same? One would think people learn from history...

4. Building a skyscraper, any skyscraper doesn't make a country "stronger". Just for your info, if the U.S. wanted to, they could built megatalls all over the place, they have the money, technology and ressources.

5. Building a megatall doesn't make sense economically. Everyone knows that a couple of 100m+ and 200m+ buildings are more efficient and favourable.
Every city should aim at the target to build skyscrapers in an urban fabric and on demand. It's the way skyscrapers are supposed to be built. And not on a huge platform, (city) park like area, where you need a cab to get to the next building. And let me tell you, there's not a single city on earth which is so dense that it has to build those monster towers.

And I don't know if you have noticed but besides the new WTC (which is a special case as we all know), both 432 PA and the Nordstrom Tower are residential towers (being built by private developers) and not some trophy buildings subsidised / paid by the city and / or state.

Just my 2 cents, but it should be clear that yes, New York is the leader.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1533
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I agree, Hunser. London and Paris are clearly among the world's 3 best cities, and are London is arguably the best. That being said, it is not currently (and never will be) a city filled with supertalls. Yet, only a moron would claim that Shenzen or Dubai is better.
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1534
Nikonov_Ivan

But Dubai is also very amazing city. It is my second favorite city after London...

P.s. Hunser, you are absolutely right...
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1535
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Anyway, people who are unhappy because this tower will only be ~500m, if this tower was build just 10 years ago it would've been the worlds tallest. I bet nobody would've complained in that case.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1536
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1537
Nikonov_Ivan

Doesn't work Or it is only me?
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1538
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
I never said that you can index the power of countries by their highest buildings. However, it is a fact that skyscrapers are usually a symbol of prosperity, growth and economic power.
Is Pyongyang a prosperous city now?
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1539
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

He means cities that don't need 20 years to build a supertall.

æthær liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1540
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1815

To built monstertowers have pretty much economical sence for a country. If a megatall stands in your city much more tourists comes and brings their money to for example restorans and hotels. Remember which amount of people knew Dubai before its skyscraperboom! Not much . Today Dubai have a bigger tourist economy then its oil economy so the 800m monster was something like a investigation in the future of Dubai. And I think the Chinese city's also built supertalls and megatalls because of the tourist economy and because they want to get famousei think new York only builds no megatall because they don't need one. They already are famous and have a big tourist industry. Furthermore in my opinion new York's skyline looks better if there aren't such huge towers! That would destroy the balance of the skyscrapers ! New York already is one of the best cities in the world if not the best city ! And the skyline already is beautiful with the hights the towers has. I wouldn't built a megatall in new York . Only my opinion
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall