daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1801
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3182

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Everytime this thread bumps up i pray for renders, this waiting game is killing me.
Designing such a tall tower in a well known skyline like midtown manhattan must be an incredible challenge
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1802
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

(Courtesy of NYguy)

So according to these papers, they will have to dig quite deep. Expect to hit street level late next year.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1803
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Late next year? That's sad, to wait so long
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM   #1804
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Late next year? That's sad, to wait so long
This building is massive, moreso than both One 57 and 432 Park, so the timeline is not unexpected.

Kanto liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1805
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's true. I hope it'll be rising asap cause this is an incredible project and I can't wait for it to happen but I'm afraid you're right
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1806
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Is there any possibility that this tower could exceed the 500m mark?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #1807
Kanto
Roof height crusader

In fact it probably will. I tried to estimate the height above the top occupied floor it'll rise to by looking at these stats for 1WTC, 157 and 432 Park and I came to an estimate of 500-510 meters for this building's height

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1808
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
In fact it probably will. I tried to estimate the height above the top occupied floor it'll rise to by looking at these stats for 1WTC, 157 and 432 Park and I came to an estimate of 500-510 meters for this building's height
I looked around and it appears there's 30m from occupied to roof in 432, is that what you found? I think that alone is enough to confirm this will crack 500, 432 has no crown to take up space so 30+472=502m probably worst case scenario for this tower.

Kanto liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1809
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28144

Quote:
That's true. I hope it'll be rising asap cause this is an incredible project and I can't wait for it to happen but I'm afraid you're right
Be realistic. Even if they would start excavating right now, it would need a miracle to get above grade by the end of this year.

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1810
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I looked around and it appears there's 30m from occupied to roof in 432, is that what you found? I think that alone is enough to confirm this will crack 500, 432 has no crown to take up space so 30+472=502m probably worst case scenario for this tower.
Yup, that's what I was reffering to. 28-38 meters seems reasonable to me. 1WTC has this distance at 35 meters, 157 at 31 meters and 432 Park at 39 meters actually right now I see on CTBUH. Check this out, they changed the top occupied floor number and the floor count on CTBUH

Btw , Eric, you're right, but I think it still could have been there at least next summer

Funkyskunk2, Highcliff liked this post
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1811
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Hmm ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/re...wanted=1&_r=1&

Looking Down on the Empire State

Quote:
By JULIE SATOW
June 7, 2013

Not since builders stuck a dirigible mooring mast to the top of the Empire State Building, eclipsing the Chrysler Building as the world’s tallest tower, have developers been engaged in the type of skyscraper war that New York City is now witnessing.

But unlike the rivalries of the early 20th century, when buildings pierced the clouds to house corporate headquarters, this one involves no fewer than three alpine condominiums with penthouses on the 90th floor and higher, which are being built to woo big-spending American hedge funders, Chinese magnates and Russian oligarchs. Two of them will rise above the 1,250-foot-high Empire State Building, by 300 feet and 146 feet, respectively (although the Empire State Building officially tops off at 1,454 feet when its lighting rod is included).

There is the often arduous and lengthy process of buying up air rights — or unused development rights — from adjacent properties; borrowing hundreds of millions of dollars in financing; and engineering architecturally unique structures that can rise 90 stories or more. The construction, meanwhile, includes costly techniques to prevent the towers from swaying in the wind, and thicker support walls and columns that can scuttle some layout plans. Then there is the pure physicality of hoisting materials and laborers 1,000 feet into the air, sometimes creating safety hazards and delays.

Considering these complexities, and the fact that the real estate market is just now recovering from one of its biggest crashes in decades, the pace of this skyscraper competition is breathtaking. Trump World Tower, opening in 2001 at 861 feet high — its black edifice looming above the East River on First Avenue — held the title of city’s tallest residential building until 2011, with the opening of 8 Spruce Street, the 870-foot undulating rental building at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. Since then, developers have begun six separate projects that will shatter 8 Spruce’s record. And even those that don’t quite break that record are marketing their height as a selling point. At 56 Leonard Street, for example, the Herzog & De Meuron-designed condominium is just 821 feet in height, but it has made much of the fact it will be the tallest residential building in TriBeCa, charging as much as $50 million for a penthouse. The competition is even spreading beyond Manhattan, with the tallest tower in Queens, a 50-story condominium in Long Island City, now under way.

It is not surprising that in a city known for its outsized personalities, many of these projects involve New York’s most conspicuous developers. Harry B. Macklowe, for example, is developing 432 Park Avenue, the 96-story condominium in Midtown that, at 1,396 feet, will be the tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere when it is completed in 2015. Best known for his buccaneering style, Mr. Macklowe is a poster child for the last real estate boom and bust, mostly because at the cycle’s pinnacle in 2007, he spent an astounding $7 billion to acquire seven Midtown towers, only to lose them in the crash. Mr. Macklowe began envisioning 432 Park in 2006, when he bought the former Drake Hotel. But he loaded the property with debt and was soon facing foreclosure. CIM Group, a private equity firm, eventually stepped in to save him, although he remains a co-developer. More than one-third of the units are now in contract for nearly $1 billion in potential sales, including a $95 million penthouse that could set a price record if it closes. The sales office, on the 21st floor of the GM Building on Fifth Avenue, sits 100 feet shy of the lowest floors of 432 Park’s condominium residences, giving potential buyers just a hint of the views to come.

Where Mr. Macklowe is brash — he performed in the Off Broadway show “Old Jews Telling Jokes” and sometimes reverts to a period accent while telling stories — Gary Barnett, the developer of the tower that may eventually eclipse 432 Park for the Western Hemisphere record, is understated. Mr. Barnett is by some measures the city’s most active developer. Indeed One57, the 90-story, 1,004-foot-tall tower he is building at 157 West 57th Street, was to have taken the hemisphere record until it was supplanted by 432 Park. But he may yet reclaim the title with his planned 227 West 57th. Just west of One57, the tower has enough air rights to rise 1,550 feet; a feature will be the city’s first Nordstrom department store.

The process can take years, and requires slow and deliberate strategizing. For One57, for example, Mr. Barnett began buying the air rights some 16 years ago. “Building tall is not about bragging rights,” he said recently, during a conversation in the nondescript conference room of his offices on Third Avenue; he was wearing slacks and a mock turtleneck. “What drives the building is design, the views, the economics.” He built One57 to its full height “because we couldn’t get in all the air rights any other way — once you have it, the ability to build it, I didn’t want to just throw it away.”

Still, deciding a building’s height is a judgment call, and “there have been times that I had air rights but I didn’t end up using them,” he said. Extreme height adds time and uncertainty to a project, as well as construction costs. One57, for instance, was waylaid when Hurricane Sandy snapped off a crane boom and left it dangling far above the street. Mr. Barnett is weighing these considerations for his Nordstrom property, he said, and said he may choose to forego the full 1,550 feet.

Zoning in Midtown also helps, since it can allow for extremely tall buildings. In the case of 432 Park, for example, the floor plate was 8,500 square feet and Mr. Macklowe had some 500,000 square feet to utilize. “So the height was just a matter of arithmetic,” he said.

“We didn’t start out by saying we wanted to build the tallest residential building in Manhattan,” he added, “but as we got there, and saw it was within the zoning, we went for it. It was only later that we recognized the significance of using this as a tag line.”
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1812
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Sounds like this probably wont reach 1550 feet. Perhaps a shorter height may be more profitable. Im guessing this will probably be slightly taller than the Empire State Building. Still gives it a good marketing tagline.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1813
Funkyskunk2

It'd be stupid to not build to max when these condos are selling out so fast. If they found larger floors by making less of them is more profitable fine, but barnett isn't dumb enough to think sandy is going to become an annual event, at least I hope not.

Kanto liked this post
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1814
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

I still think hes going to built it to full height..at least i hope so..when the residential market is so hot, i really don't think he would just decide to shrink the height.

1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1815
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I disagree.. He will definitely build to full height. (hope so) He even mentioned in a interview recently that he would like to try to assemble even more air rights for this tower.

L.A.F.2., Kanto, Eric Offereins, Highcliff liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1816
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Nobody leaves money on the table in nyc. If Extell can go the distance the market alone will do the driving.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #1817
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I completely agree with you folks. With the residential market in NYC being as phenomenal as it is right now every grain of air rights is a treasure chest Also, the site on which this is built is one of the best sites in the entire city. There's no way he's gonna downsize something as hot and high end as this building

L.A.F.2., Highcliff liked this post
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #1818
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Hope he gets more air rights!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

Kanto, L.A.F.2., Highcliff liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1819
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I think we're all in agreement here. It'll either reach 1,550 or come close to it.

Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1820
Funkyskunk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I think we're all in agreement here. It'll either reach 1,550 or come close to it.
Not me. I don't believe that article for a second tower will be downgraded. 1650 or more IMO. If Barnett can get more rights it'll only go higher. Market is too hot.

Kanto liked this post

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall