daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #1881
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Looking at its footprint and the gross square footage, this has to taper considerably.
Man I hope not, how many SF is 432 pk av?

hopefully the building will just be really thin, or only taper on one or two sides. It would be impressive to have at least one 1550+ foot wall, hopefully there will be one.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #1882
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

432 Park is just over 775,000, while this will be 1.2 million.

Also, this is a good comparison of their sizes.
Quote:
If this was to have a square floor plan bottom-to-top like 432 Park, it'd have sides of nearly 117 feet vs. 93.5 feet at 432 Park. Also, this will have an average of 13,636 square feet per floor vs. 8,742 at 432 Park, so it won't be terribly thin.

Kanto, Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1883
Jay

ah ok, so it will definitely be thicker than 432. I was afraid it was gonna turn out to be some needle like a smaller kingdom tower.
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #1884
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Is this also what ppl are referring to as the Nordstrom tower? Photo 1843 is just plain AWESOME, If it's built to those dimensions, you have to admit that rendering of what it will look like or might, (has it been finalized?) if it looks like that,, wow, it has style, teeth, and flair, the way it's photoshopped it looks incredible.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by bigreach; June 24th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1885
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Yup, this is the Nordstrom Tower

Btw, that footprint of 200 feet x 200 feet might just be Nordstrom's retail podium. I personally would love to live in a residential supertall which would have the option of going out on fresh air and teraces on setbacks would definitely be great for that. Also, if these teraces would be small and regularily positioned on the height axis of the building they would eliminate the greatest danger of balconies and openable windows on supertall construction - namely falling items (a pot falling from 4 meters hurts but a pot falling from 400 meters is a deadly projectile )

Vertical_Gotham, Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1886
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2376

Because this tower will have a large base, with a small SF, and the fact that it's gonna be residential, it can be as thin as 432 PA, taking into account the fact that, PA and this one have nigh similar floor counts.
So, it may look yet skinnier!
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #1887
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

A residential Sears Tower, perhaps?
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1888
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
Because this tower will have a large base, with a small SF, and the fact that it's gonna be residential, it can be as thin as 432 PA, taking into account the fact that, PA and this one have nigh similar floor counts.
This tower has anywhere from 1.2 to 1.35 million SF, 432 park has only 775K

This tower will not be that much taller, will have the same floor count and has nearly double, or at least a lot more square footage, so it won't be nearly as skinny as 432.

NYCrulz liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1889
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
It won't be skinnier, I promise. It'll probably be about 108'x108' vs. 93.5'x93.5' at 432 Park when taking into account a base.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1890
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I'd say it'll be maximally as wide as 1WTC at its top. More than that would already downgrade the residential space and I'm pretty sure the prices for living in this baby will far exceed 432 Park or 157

Highcliff liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1891
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

It's gross square footage won't allow a top nearly that large. Maximum is 117'x117' with a square floor plan top to bottom. 1WTC's top is ~141'x141'.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1892
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

walked by last week and there was some activity. i was in a rush so didn't really have time to stick around.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel

L.A.F.2., Swiddle, Highcliff liked this post
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1893
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Thanks for the photos. The site looks just about ready to go.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1894
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
It's gross square footage won't allow a top nearly that large. Maximum is 117'x117' with a square floor plan top to bottom. 1WTC's top is ~141'x141'.
Oops, you misunderstood me, I didn't mean that 225's top will be as wide as 1WTC's top, I meant that 225 as a whole (meaning the average width of it) will be maximally as wide as 1WTC's top

Highcliff liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1895
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Oh, yes, I see. That was my bad. It's almost exactly equal. It's average width should be just 2.5 m narrower than 1WTC's top. Nice observation!

Kanto, Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1896
Kanto
Roof height crusader

No problem

L.A.F.2., Highcliff liked this post
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1897
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Others have already observed as much, but every time I see a photo of the site, my mind is blown again. Almost every other tower of comparable size, being built or proposed anywhere in the world, are surrounded by large, empty plots, and in some cases, wide stretches of desert or other barren terrain. They have huge buffers between them and the nearest buildings.

This, on the other hand, is being built right on top of its surrounding cityscape, in one of the densest, busiest places on Earth. It's going to be amazing to watch.

Kanto, hunser, Highcliff liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1898
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Others have already observed as much, but every time I see a photo of the site, my mind is blown again. Almost every other tower of comparable size, being built or proposed anywhere in the world, are surrounded by large, empty plots, and in some cases, wide stretches of desert or other barren terrain. They have huge buffers between them and the nearest buildings.

This, on the other hand, is being built right on top of its surrounding cityscape, in one of the densest, busiest places on Earth. It's going to be amazing to watch.
Yep, I've being saying that for years (when One57 started). That's New York - and I love it.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #1899
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

I think the constraints at 432 Park are slightly more impressive - but yes, 57th Street is insane.

One57, 432 Park, 225 West 57th, 105 West 57th, the Pyramid, 610 West 57th, and 250 East 57th... and the Willow Hotel... are ALL getting built at the moment. Crazy how the street is literally booming - and come 2020, it will be the most impressive skyscraper canyon in the entire world.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #1900
NYCrulz

Likes (Received): 2376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This tower has anywhere from 1.2 to 1.35 million SF, 432 park has only 775K

This tower will not be that much taller, will have the same floor count and has nearly double, or at least a lot more square footage, so it won't be nearly as skinny as 432.
Ah yes! The SF is nearly as double, so there's an upper hand. I hope it'll be thicker than PA.

Quote:
It won't be skinnier, I promise. It'll probably be about 108'x108' vs. 93.5'x93.5' at 432 Park when taking into account a base.

I said it would look as skinny because you've got to take the height into account, and the wide base and the taller height may not complement the 108'X108' sides, well, and may look skinnier although it may not be.
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
217 west 57th street, 225 west 57th street, central park south, cps, extell, new york, nordstrom tower, nyc, supertall