daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #281
yubnub

Likes (Received): 447

thanks for sharing those london pics. As someone who lived in London for a long time I actually feel quite depressed after seeing them. Its not just that some very beautiful buildings got destroyed or demolished its more to do with the fact that what they were replaced with are so astonishingly ugly.
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #282
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Yes, although I take consolation from the fact that these 1950s, '60s and '70s horrors are in many cases reaching the end of their useful life (a testament to the low quality of their construction as well as design), so hopefully over the next couple of decades many of them will have been demolished. Whatever replaces them at least can't be worse.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #283
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Wroclaw/Poland, Nowy Targ

Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #284
intervention
planning inaction

Nowy Targ is a shit show, but the Rynek is another story
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #285
Kaufmann

Likes (Received): 5777

Alte Synagoge zu Dortmund

burned 1939 Kristallnacht

and now

Highcliff liked this post
Kaufmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #286
Kaufmann

Likes (Received): 5777

Dortmund corner Hansa/Kampstreet

Kaufmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #287
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 327

^That new building looks horrible. But i must say the old version was not much better.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #288
Rascian
НН

Likes (Received): 2165

The new building is interesting, the old one was so bland
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #289
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Why is it, we mourn the loss of our old structures more than our ancestors ever did? Why is it our generation will weep at a falling baroque house but our ancestors would have considered it a normal course of change? Could it be not the loss of the structure we mourn, but the inferior replacement we will receive that causes us great anguish? No new columns or cornices shall grace the streets of any Western city anymore, for we must learn to love the blandness of glass and steel. Pleasure and pride that came naturally from our traditional structures must now be forced when we come across the brutalist buildings. How long will we allow these monuments of elitism and arrogance to stand in the place of the people’s architecture? These new structures are not for us, they are symbols, built by architects and their massive egos so that they can die knowing “I built something crazier than you”.

Our children will not smile upon these structures, they will not flock to them as they do gothic cathedrals and old back streets, they will look at them in disgust and wonder why, out of the history of Western architecture, should they be dealt the shittiest architectural era? We have left little of beauty to our descendants. Architecture needs to return to the tastes of the people, not the tastes of a few architects and artists who must teach us to “appreciate” their structures since the structures cannot be appreciated on their own merit. Ornamentation and tradition should not be shunned by our architects, but tastefully embraced.

Who is responsible? Could it be the architectural school that had the audacity to place itself above everyone before it, to put itself above the people, above reason, above beauty, and above nature itself? The architectural school that presented itself as a beacon of a new tolerant and open minded world, yet exhibited hateful bigotry against traditional architecture and architects alike? A school that after WWII fought to destroy all it could? The guns had ceased but the war had not. Even in the years after and to this day, monuments fall and are defaced in the name of “architectural progression.” How many facades of old have crumbled for the soulless walls of glass and steel? How much marble has fallen for concrete? How much tradition has been destroyed in the name of change for the sake of change?

I feel nothing but disgust when I gaze upon the modernist structures of our day. They present nothing but chaos and arrogance. Is it sad when a nation’s citizens flee to her temples of old, fearing the styles of the future? For many we do not see beauty in our city’s future, but ugliness and utter loss of identity, heritage, and pride. The citizens will not leave the temple until new architects come to rescue them from the chains of modernism. Only then will city’s become more beautiful, when citizens will not hold on to every old structure for dear life. These bizarre mish mash monuments of ego are not and never will be progressive. They are the mistake of an era, and only when they are corrected will we return to our natural course.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #290
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21056

I understand your defense or vernacular architecture, but I fiercely oppose it, more or less like I have pure disdain for folk dances or traditional attire for use anywhere other than a costume party.

Starchitects ftw, and let children smile in front of a new PS3 or smth.
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #291
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I understand your defense or vernacular architecture, but I fiercely oppose it, more or less like I have pure disdain for folk dances or traditional attire for use anywhere other than a costume party.

Starchitects ftw, and let children smile in front of a new PS3 or smth.
Then ultimately it must come down to what you value.

I hope for a world of architecture that moves forward by building upon the successes of the past, not trying to forget them.

To hell with the PS3's, such things come and go, but buildings last forever.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Old December 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #292
Suburbanist
on the road

Buildings don't need to last forever. In the developed world, we can construct them to last 30-50 years, and then replace them with whatever is in fashion by then. Like we do with cars, computers, cell phones, clothes...
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #293
Leugom

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Buildings don't need to last forever. In the developed world, we can construct them to last 30-50 years, and then replace them with whatever is in fashion by then. Like we do with cars, computers, cell phones, clothes...
It is precisely that "disposable" mentality that has been ruining society in the last century... In all the human history, civilizations have taken the durability of their buildings as a sign of development and cultural success; it is a shame that in such a scientifically advanced as we have today, we can not (or don't want to) build lasting testimony of our achievements.
Leugom está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #294
socrates#1fan

Quote:
What a wasteful mentality. Simply replace everything as the fashion changes? Considering styles change every 38 minutes could you imagine the absolute waste of materials, money, labor, and time? It is no wonder that modern civilization is on the brink of collapsing under its own weight. For the comfort of modern society to survive, we must learn to do quite the opposite. We must learn to reuse what we have while progressing; we cannot afford to waste like we have before. What you speak of sounds like some sort of consumerist nightmare, void of history, heirlooms, and culture. It is in our very nature to progress while building upon the past, as we ourselves are the product of millions of years of evolution.

Excluding the obvious waste and complete disrespect to history, could you imagine the sort of stress people would go through being in an environment that was constantly changing in dramatic ways? It would be terrible.

We will never be able to escape that we are the product of our ancestors, the product of what was before us, a product of time. To fight that is to fight gravity, and in the process we would surely destroy ourselves.

Highcliff, UrbanMyth liked this post
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #295
Piltup Man

Quote:
In the developed world, we can construct them to last 30-50 years,
That would be disastrous for the property market - who in their right mind would invest in a building or appartment knowing that it will last less than their own lifetime?

Just think, you buy an appartment in your 20s and by the time you retire you have to buy one all over again.
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #296
Suburbanist
on the road

I'm not saying that all buildings should be made to last only 20-50 years, but the majority of common, non-representative buildings. We could devise cheaper construction techniques. Also, more "disposable" buildings can make whole neighborhoods more transitional, allowing total clearance every 4-6 decades.

I can understand the logic of preserving a palace, a monumental building, bu not the logic of freezing a working class are in time. Or a random commercial street/shopping mall. Dynamite should be the expected fate of every building but the most impressive, made and designed by impressive architects.
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #297
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

^ You Sir definitely need some reality check. Or you're just a troll, I dunno. A historical cityscape lives from its ensembles, its whole classical aura.

We're talking about sustainability and identity all around the globe, and everything that comes to your mind is blowing up beautiful pre-war structures just because they're old and you think we'd need modern facades instead, completely bonkers.

Imagine some blob architecture, brutalist boxes and a glass phallus in between here, the renaissance townscape would be completely ruined:

image hosted on flickr

(Roofs of Florence, Italy - by flickr, author unknown)

Same for Murano:
image hosted on flickr

by flickr

Or Rothenburg, a German medieval townscape:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clearly_undefined

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #298
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

While we're talking about it, I seriously recommend to check the threads below to get a glimpse of what ensembles mean to historical areas:

GERMANY'S most beautiful cityscapes

Distinctive European medieval townscapes

Old Towns around the Globe

EUROPE - Some pics every day

No idea where you're from Suburbanist, but you obviously need to get around more or open your damn eyes to the beauty of harmony.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #299
Piltup Man

Quote:
I'm not saying that all buildings should be made to last only 20-50 years, but the majority of common, non-representative buildings. We could devise cheaper construction techniques. Also, more "disposable" buildings can make whole neighborhoods more transitional, allowing total clearance every 4-6 decades.
So who would invest in a "disposable" building that you can't pass on to your children? You have just found a practical way of implementing every die-hard communist's dream: getting rid of private property, as no-one would want to own property that loses the entirety of its value in a few decades.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #300
socrates#1fan

I smell a troll!