daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #461
yuriml4

Likes (Received): 14

I like this thread, though it makes me feel depressed.
yuriml4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #462
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
I don't remember if I have posted this building before in this tread or not, but I know that I have never posted as large pictures of it as these anyway ...

The Hassel building in Oslo, Norway. Originally an art nouveau commercial building built in 1902 with a design by the local architect Carl Michaelsen. It used to have a higher spire than what is shown at this picture, but this was shorten sometime during the '30s.

It was re-clad in 1970 in a brutalistic style. Here it is today:

http://lokalhistoriewiki.no/index.ph...a_1_i_Oslo.JPG

Well at least it still can be restored to former glory...

Highcliff liked this post
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #463
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
Rijeka, synagogue, destroyed by the Communists after WW2

plan

building

replaced with this

Stop with anticommunist propaganda

Only Germans destroyed Synagogues in Europe.

The Rijeka Synagogue was destroyed on January 25, 1944 during Nazi occupation of Rijeka.

vectom, mon_semblable liked this post
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #464
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9781

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post
Well at least it still can be restored to former glory...
Theoretically it can be done of course, but I doubt that it will ever happen. The focus here in Norway is mainly about preservering all the stuff that was built post war and older 19th century and early 20th century buildings are for most part ignored. In fact it would not surprised me if the modern facade of the building got protected instead.

Last edited by Galro; June 25th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #465
skyscraperus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC LV View Post
Communists probably destroyed more synagogues and Jewish cemeteries in Eastern Europe than NAZI.
Shame on you. Several prominent communists leaders were jews.
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #466
skyscraperus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index_LT View Post
Great synagogue of Vilnius. Only slightly damaged by nazis.

Completely destroyed vy soviets and replaced with ugly kindergarten.

Slightly ???

90% european synagogues is in eastern Europe. Only few survive in west Europe.

ollo liked this post
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #467
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post

Yes, of course, the communists were kind, religious people who lived in peace, harmony, and tolerance of all, including religions.

Looks like their propaganda has worked to cause the previous kind of post, though.

Chadoh25, The Eagle, Spam King liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #468
skyscraperus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Yes, of course, the communists were kind, religious people who lived in peace, harmony, and tolerance of all, including religions.

Looks like their propaganda has worked to cause the previous kind of post, though.
Prague, Budapest and Krakow are the most beautiful and best preserved cities in Europe, all from the former communist states. I live in former communist state.
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #469
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

I think skyscraperus is too busy fantasizing about Stalin, Lenin and Mao having a three-way, which clouds his thinking. Poor fellow.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #470
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Prague, Budapest and Krakow are the most beautiful and best preserved cities in Europe, all from the former communist states. I live in former communist state.
Understand and agree about those three sensational cities. Without being too political, those cities are wonderful in spite of the totalitarian and destructive regimes that reigned terror for decades. And those regimes were anti religion along with the architecture that the places of worship represented.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #471
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
It doesn't change the fact though, that Nazis were the greatest destructors of the Jewish cultural heritage in Europe (in addition to killing people in the first place). If you have any arguments condtradicting the fact of destruction of synagogues in virtually every city Wehrmacht took (maybe apart from Western Europe, when they behaved in more civilised way), it's time you presented it

It would be nice though if you present arguments more reliable than your revelations about bloodthirstly Churchill, responsible for the destruction of German cities

Quote:
Understand and agree about those three sensational cities. Without being too political, those cities are wonderful in spite of the totalitarian and destructive regimes that reigned terror for decades. And those regimes were anti religion along with the architecture that the places of worship represented.
In Poland not only churches weren't destroyed, but these, which were devastaded during the war, were thoroughly rebuilt. In fact, none of historical monuments did better than churches in Communist Poland (neither industrial buildings, nor rent houses, nor manors and mansions).

The anti-religious bias resulted in ban on building new churches from ca. 1960 to 1980, but after ban was lifted (lex Kania in 1980), more churches were built in 1980s decade than anytime during Poland's 1000-year history and more than - at that decade - in all other European countries combined.

Quote:
Perhaps visiting large parts of Krakow's Kleparz would be useful for you. Even today some parts of it look like slum. In 1989 most of Cracow looked like that. And up to 1981 people were virtually crying during rain (!), because some 'intelligent' planners set up aluminium mill in Skawina (SW of Cracow), so that sulphur dioxide clouded over the city and there were literally acid rains. Silesian Industrial Area also added its piece of the cake. Plus concentration of coal heaters, because highly 'effective' communist economy wasn't able to establish modern heating system in the city centre.

And I also wouldn't agree that Budapest, beautiful as it might be, is among one of the best preserved cities in Europe. Plenty of quartals of Erzesbetvaros of Josefvaros looked nasty even in 2008. I can imagine how it looked like 20 years ago.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

cytt liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #472
skyscraperus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Perhaps visiting large parts of Krakow's Kleparz would be useful for you. Even today some parts of it look like slum. In 1989 most of Cracow looked like that. And up to 1981 people were virtually crying during rain (!), because some 'intelligent' planners set up aluminium mill in Skawina (SW of Cracow), so that sulphur dioxide clouded over the city and there were literally acid rains. Silesian Industrial Area also added its piece of the cake. Plus concentration of coal heaters, because highly 'effective' communist economy wasn't able to establish modern heating system in the city centre.

And I also wouldn't agree that Budapest, beautiful as it might be, is among one of the best preserved cities in Europe. Plenty of quartals of Erzesbetvaros of Josefvaros looked nasty even in 2008. I can imagine how it looked like 20 years ago.
... And what ??? Prague, Budapest and Krakow are not the best preserved cities in central Europe? Don't be jealousy.

TOP preserved cities in Europe - Paris, Rome, Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Florence, Venice...
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #473
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Historic and beautiful Jelenia Gora/Hirschberg - Untouched by the war but then came communism

http://www.fotopolska.eu/315991,foto.html?o=b15564

1947:

http://www.fotopolska.eu/foto/194/194583.jpg

http://www.fotopolska.eu/194577,foto.html

Today: the old town was ruined and neglected by the local communist authorities in the 1960s
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/...78d173fc_o.jpg

Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #474
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
... And what ??? Prague, Budapest and Krakow are not the best preserved cities in central Europe? Don't be jealousy.
1. You tried to prove they're among the best preserved in Europe, now you're saying: in central Europe. That's different. Every average west-European city looked in 1989 better than any city-miracle in the East. That's precisely because of the communism.

2. Generally large degree of authenticity of cities you've mentioned is a result of lack of war damage (in Prague and Kraków) or relative good rebuilding (Budapest - quite conservative rebuilding based on old street grid in Pest, by-the-book reconstruction of Old Town in Buda; IMHO in Warsaw it was done much better, but that's just me).

To some degree this quick and bloodless liberation of Krakow and Prague might be considered as a merit for communism, precisely for Soviet Red Army. Although, regarding Prague, it was rather ex-Soviet renegades from Własow's army, who saved the city And the end of the war.

3. Generally good shape of the cities and relatively good preservation of buildings is mostly the result of investments and repairs made in the last 20 years. Or maybe even in the last 10. Well, let's call a spade a spade: it was resourcefullness of Central Europeans plus funds from the EU that made a change.

I remember Krakow from ca. 1996 and it looked like every city in Poland at that time - dirty, ugly, rusty and generally lagging behind the civilised world.

I am not even talking about Warsaw because living my whole life in this city I have problem to believe my eyes when I see pics from 1990s of the apparently the same city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo2022 View Post
Today: the old town was ruined and neglected by the local communist authorities in the 1960s
Not exactly: ruined and neglected but destroyed to make the city centre bypass (visible on the photo). Although the old town was in relatively poor shape for many years, at least the market square rent houses were carefully reconstructed in late 1960s.

If you want to really show the biggest crime of urbanists committed in communist Poland, show us Legnica
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #475
haikiller11
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2263

The Norodom Palace, Saigon, destroyed in 1963.

image hosted on flickr

dinh norodom__03 by thuvelainho, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Dinh Doc Lap bi bom nam 1962 by tan218ntl2006, on Flickr

Now

image hosted on flickr

Mặt tiền dinh Độc Lập by myle0307_ftu, on Flickr

haikiller11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:23 PM   #476
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Do the people and constructors really like this kind of architecture?

In my city in Germany, most people wanna live in old town houses with high ceilings and stone details on the wall... but there is not one building, which will be constructed in this way in the near future... Can't understand that!

master-mata liked this post
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM   #477
ST_dasa
u disko me znaju na vrata

Likes (Received): 13224

St Peter's church in Split, Croatia

Large neo-romanesque church, built in 1880's, and was later partially bombed by the allies in WWII. It was completely demolished around 1949. to widen the street.

Prior to the WWII

After the bombing

Final demoliton

ST_dasa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM   #478
ST_dasa
u disko me znaju na vrata

Likes (Received): 13224

Split lasarets were among the grandest and best organised trade lasarets in Europe during 16th and 17th century. They were used as a quarantine and customs center for the trade route between ottomans and venetians, at least in time of peace.

Lasarets were partially demolished during the 19th century to make room for the more modern harbour buildings. They were heavily bombed by the allies during WWII, and were completely removed after the war.

3D render of lasarets in 17th century

Lasarets prior to the WWII

After the demolition

Comparison between 1900's and today

Last edited by ST_dasa; August 22nd, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
ST_dasa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:42 PM   #479
UnHavrais
Normandie

Likes (Received): 9600

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
Ca ne se passe pas en France mais à Brüx, République Tchèque, du temps du communisme. Rasage du centre historique pour faire place à une mine de charbon à ciel ouvert.

AVANT

PENDANT

Et aujourd'hui...

La ville soviétique, reconstruite plus loin :

Je vous défie de trouver plus hardcore.

Fluctuat nec mergitur

- C'est une très méchante manière de raisonner que de rejeter ce que l'on ne peut comprendre - Tintin .

LE HAVRE - News Urbaines & Architecturales

Le Havre, Normandy, France

Normandy, a region between two countries

LE HAVRE | Projects & Construction

NUMERATZI, Highcliff liked this post
UnHavrais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #480
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5004

Quote:

The Rijeka Synagogue was destroyed on January 25, 1944 during Nazi occupation of Rijeka.
Out of three synagogues in Bratislava, two were destroyed by communists and one of them survived. They destroyed also the old jewish quarter with several renaissance, baroque and classicist monuments, in total 30% of Bratislava's historical center.

Communists were the same kind of criminals like nazis and fascists.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

Depeched, Highcliff, The Eagle liked this post
Amrafel está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote