daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #581
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity
 
Galro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,225
Likes (Received): 9772

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Britain really needs some reconstruction projects similar to projects going on in Germany. Whatever about modernising and looking forward, that is a fair arguement, but leaving cities like coventry looking like absolute garbage with their current buildings when it used to be so beautiful is just ridiculous
I agree and I think the Dutch house would be pretty much the perfect place to start, as the replacement building is currently abounded and of much lower density while the dutch house itself was not particularly ornate so I assume it could be quite easy to rebuild if desired. I suspect that a reconstruction of that building could actually be done with a profit. Here is the place on streetview: https://www.google.no/maps/search/Hi...2!8i6656?hl=no
__________________

Delirium liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #582
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity
 
Galro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,225
Likes (Received): 9772

Another in Bristol was the St Peter's Hospital which was also ruined during the 1940 Blitz. The building dated from 1402 and had got extensively rebuilt in the 17th century into the appearance it had before it was destroyed.






St Peter’s Hospital Bristol, destroyed in the blitz 1941 by Paul Townsend, on Flickr


The heart of Bristol - St Peters Hospital, tucked between the Church and Avon. by Regency Bristol, on Flickr

The location is just open park land now - the ruin of the close-by church can be seen here:
__________________
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #583
112998
Registered User
 
112998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 67
Likes (Received): 93

The brits saw a lot of beautiful parts of their cities disappear during the Blitz. Unfortunately they thought there was to less removed, as the 60s and 70s made it even worse. So many beautiful buildings it a city center with next to it a horrible post war building. The city of London has been improved a lot, but that's a lot of new buildings as works as a financial center and unlike cities as Covery that function for a lot more. Rebuilds should definitely be happen in the U.K., and fast because those 60,70s buildings will eventually be torn down, but replaced by something glass without the soul it used to have.
112998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:29 AM   #584
PDH
Registered User
 
PDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Close to Geelong
Posts: 114
Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian heritage View Post
Tetrapylon, Palymira, Syria destroyed 2017

Perhaps the most striking construction at Palmyra in Syria, the Tetrapylon marks the second pivot in the route of the colonnaded street. It consists of a square platform bearing at each corner a tight grouping of four columns. Each of the four groups of pillars supports 150,000kg of solid cornice.


This group of Tetrapylons were not destroyed and stand today, Isis destroyed some Tetrapylons that formed part of the Roman Amphitheatre.



Here is a picture of a Russian Orchestra Performing a victory concert at Palymra last year and you can see the Tetrapylons in the background.

This is the Amphitheatre that had major damage to is Tetrapylons (group of 4 columns Together) that form part of its façade.

Peter
__________________

Galro liked this post

Last edited by PDH; March 15th, 2017 at 03:39 AM.
PDH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #585
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity
 
Galro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,225
Likes (Received): 9772

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112998 View Post
The brits saw a lot of beautiful parts of their cities disappear during the Blitz. Unfortunately they thought there was to less removed, as the 60s and 70s made it even worse. So many beautiful buildings it a city center with next to it a horrible post war building. The city of London has been improved a lot, but that's a lot of new buildings as works as a financial center and unlike cities as Covery that function for a lot more. Rebuilds should definitely be happen in the U.K., and fast because those 60,70s buildings will eventually be torn down, but replaced by something glass without the soul it used to have.
I agree, but there sadly does not seem to be much appetite for reconstructions in the UK. I don't think there are anyone that works on getting any reconstruction works done anywhere there, I have at least never heard about it nor I have manage to find anything through Google.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #586
erbse
LIBERTINED
 
erbse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McLenBurg
Posts: 43,167
Likes (Received): 57847

^ Well at least there's a strong desire for new traditional architecture in the UK, that is expressed by many architects building in classical and vernacular styles. At some point there will be reconstructions, I think.

Check this: The Traditional Architecture Group - A Linked Society of the Royal Institute of British Architects
__________________
GET FREE!
D W F


🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #587
112998
Registered User
 
112998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 67
Likes (Received): 93

Fortunately a lot of English cities still have beautiful buildings, Liverpool and Manchester for example. However, the area around it with new buildings make the place less beautiful and relevant. It makes the old buildings more alienated.
112998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #588
wakka12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dublin
Posts: 358
Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112998 View Post
Fortunately a lot of English cities still have beautiful buildings, Liverpool and Manchester for example. However, the area around it with new buildings make the place less beautiful and relevant. It makes the old buildings more alienated.
I agree. English cities for some reason have a reputation for being very ugly, like on par with german post war cities. I don't know why. Ive never visited anywhere in England other than London, so I assumed cities like Birmingham,leeds, manchester,liverpool etc look similar to cologne. But I looked around them all on google maps and english cities still have a lot of beautiful historical architecture despite the blitz and the infamously poor city planning post war

Coventry is an example of a city worth of its reputation for ugly though, looks like a typical post war west european city
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:44 PM   #589
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,348
Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Well at least there's a strong desire for new traditional architecture in the UK, that is expressed by many architects building in classical and vernacular styles. At some point there will be reconstructions, I think.

Check this: The Traditional Architecture Group - A Linked Society of the Royal Institute of British Architects
It's weird really. The UK is in many regards a conservative country where mock Tudor styles are immensely popular and where you can find places such as Poundbury. Still, reconstruction of lost treasures never seems to take place in any British city despite the fact that places such as Bristol would benefit greatly from it.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:56 PM   #590
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,348
Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
I agree. English cities for some reason have a reputation for being very ugly, like on par with german post war cities. I don't know why. Ive never visited anywhere in England other than London, so I assumed cities like Birmingham,leeds, manchester,liverpool etc look similar to cologne. But I looked around them all on google maps and english cities still have a lot of beautiful historical architecture despite the blitz and the infamously poor city planning post war

Coventry is an example of a city worth of its reputation for ugly though, looks like a typical post war west european city
Although the Blitz was devastating it wasn't close to what Germany experienced. Looking at the two countries today you would think the opposite was true. The problem is that although city centres in Britain are often fairly intact the inner cities have been hollowed out by post-war slum clearance and modernization. This is why you find suburbia, parking lots and housing estates so close to city centres - even in London. While British cities lost density with whole neighbourhoods being swept away after the war German cities mostly were rebuilt in a way that preserved the urban fabric although the actual quality of architecture dropped. Most German cities I've visited seem to have pretty attractive, dense pre-war inner cities whereas the old town and historic cores are heavily damaged or even gone. In Britain the opposite is true. Add to that the fact that German traffic planning and sense of aesthetics seem to be far superior to their British counterparts.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:24 PM   #591
112998
Registered User
 
112998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 67
Likes (Received): 93

Rotterdam has been bombarded heavily, but nothing was rebuild, only a couple of buildings that survived the Blitz that were mostly intact were saved of the horrible devastation to get rid of even a lot of buildings that could have been restored to make place for just so much trash.

112998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #592
d.henney
Registered User
 
d.henney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lausitz/Dresden, Düsseldorf, Honshu
Posts: 746
Likes (Received): 470

Ausstellungspallast [exhibition palace], Dresden



Volkswagen Gläserne Manufaktur [Volkswagen transparent manufactory], Dresden
geo:51.044444,13.755556


http://www.poburski-futura.de/referenzen/
__________________
のんのんびより \o/

artObserver liked this post
d.henney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #593
OtAkAw
BUMMED
 
OtAkAw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Makati
Posts: 2,484
Likes (Received): 530

Hotel de Oriente and La Insular Cigar Factory
Manila, Philippines

Two of great examples of European colonial architecture in Asia lost due to war and subsequently, neglect.

Before WW2:


source


source

After WW2:

__________________

zaanii liked this post
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu