daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #381
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

@ enfe001

thanks for those interesting pictures - unless I am mistaken, is there not a step between each platform and the track? If so, I would have thought that having such a thing would encourage people to cross the tracks irresponsibly (if there is a step I am assuming that is is meant for railway personnel use only though).
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #382
kjoseph717

Likes (Received): 1

In the United States, in the DC Metro, there is a system that warns people of an approaching train. Granted nobody jumps to the tracks in the Subway.

More similar to this situation. In both Connecticut and Rhode Island, where the Acela Express runs at over 100mph, there is a warning system that alerts passengers to stay away from low level platforms tracks 15 seconds before a train approaches. If the stations don't have that warning system they should, but if people are too occupied or intoxicated to care, that's their fault and not the trains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JioK-HxRHfE&feature=fvsr
kjoseph717 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #383
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

kjoseph - no one crosses the tracks of the DC metro, although there are a depressing number of suicides. Some of those glass partition doors would be nice.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #384
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Jesus, how dumb are human beings? There shouldn't need to BE a warning system, you should see railroad tracks, look both ways and if a train is coming don't stand in front of it. If you get killed by a train, unless someone forcefully tied you to the tracks, you are a dumbass and it's your fault. Period.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #385
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

The system in the DC metro is just a set of flashing lights along the platform. It's not really to people to get away from the track, it's to tell them to get ready to board. And it's intended primarily for hearing-impaired people who might not be able to hear the approaching train.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #386
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank IBC View Post
The system in the DC metro is just a set of flashing lights along the platform. It's not really to people to get away from the track, it's to tell them to get ready to board. And it's intended primarily for hearing-impaired people who might not be able to hear the approaching train.
That exists at least in one station of the Madrid commuter train system. I think it´s a good idea. Not that it helps much against suicides, though... but it´s something.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #387
Jay

Europe does seem to have softer train horns than other countries, that may have played a part in it.
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #388
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Anyone who's been near a track used mostly by fast electric trains knows how deceptively quiet they can be. Unless you're already looking out for it, or an audible warning is sounded by the train or station, the only sign that a train is coming is a vibration in the tracks a few seconds before it arrives. At that speed even the train's driver only has a few seconds to sound the horn after spotting people on the track. So in a crowd of loud partygoers, possibly with drinks involved, it's not surprising that they missed it until it was too late.

Of course, it's still their fault for not actually looking in the direction trains are coming from while crossing. That should be something as obvious as looking in both directions when crossing the road.

And many British stations have pre-recorded announcements warning of trains passing through without stopping, although they take so long that sometimes the train had already passed by the time the announcement is over.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #389
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc89 View Post

Of course, it's still their fault for not actually looking in the direction trains are coming from while crossing. That should be something as obvious as looking in both directions when crossing the road.
No, its their fault that they crossed the tracks instead of taking the tunnel.
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #390
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Anyone who's been near a track used mostly by fast electric trains knows how deceptively quiet they can be. Unless you're already looking out for it, or an audible warning is sounded by the train or station, the only sign that a train is coming is a vibration in the tracks a few seconds before it arrives. At that speed even the train's driver only has a few seconds to sound the horn after spotting people on the track. So in a crowd of loud partygoers, possibly with drinks involved, it's not surprising that they missed it until it was too late.

And many British stations have pre-recorded announcements warning of trains passing through without stopping, although they take so long that sometimes the train had already passed by the time the announcement is over.
I've made a test here. I live near a small Dutch train station where trains (freight and passengers) commonly pass at 100km/h or more near the platforms. It is not a quiet place, so there are other noises, road traffic etc. If I am not paying attention, there are less than 6 or 7 seconds between the time I first hear a train and the train passes.
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #391
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1084

Here,there are announcements several minutes before a train arrives...though most stations have level pedestrian crossings. I guess people are just used to looking both ways before crossing.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #392
Jay

Quote:
Anyone who's been near a track used mostly by fast electric trains knows how deceptively quiet they can be. Unless you're already looking out for it, or an audible warning is sounded by the train or station, the only sign that a train is coming is a vibration in the tracks a few seconds before it arrives. At that speed even the train's driver only has a few seconds to sound the horn after spotting people on the track.
That's why everywhere else in the world has train horns that are extremely deep and loud and sound minutes before the train arrives.
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #393
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietje01 View Post
No, its their fault that they crossed the tracks instead of taking the tunnel.
True, but I've run into pedestrian level crossings in the UK before, and after seeing photos of the station involved in this incident, I have to admit that the height of the platforms would make it very encouraging to cross on foot if other methods of reaching the other side become congested.

I'm just saying that if you have to cross rail tracks on foot, it should be treated with the same amount of care as crossing a busy road, which the partygoers here obviously didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
That's why everywhere else in the world has train horns that are extremely deep and loud and sound minutes before the train arrives.
Where exactly do you mean by "everywhere else in the world"? Certainly not anywhere with frequent commuter rail service, where trains laying on the horn "minutes" before passing through each station would be extremely disruptive. Not to mention that the noise will be so frequent that it would quickly lose its function as a danger signal.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #394
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Europe does seem to have softer train horns than other countries, that may have played a part in it.
Europe is not a country. I almost get a heart attack when a Swiss train is horning.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #395
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Quote:

The station has high platforms, an underpass, and pre-recorded announcements. But if you drink and possibly take substances... well.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:04 AM   #396
Andres_Low

Likes (Received): 1

The question is, should humans be treated as cattle when designing stations? my answer is no, people should respect the signals and be resposible. However, there is an exception, and this applies to all the stations that will be crowded at some point like near stadiums or other events... then yeah, go ahead and use kilometers or barbed wire if necessary. Somehow peoples stupidity increases when gathering in high number.
Andres_Low no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:08 AM   #397
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

There must be a balance. Theoretically you wouldn't need not even fences near vantage point and observation decks in high buildings, people should just stay clear of edges. Theoretically, people going to stadiums and any other tight-packed venue wouldn't need crowd-control design, they should just behave rationally instead of rushing and crushing each other if something happens.

So, when possible, design should be used to avoid accidents.

Comparing with roads: it is indeed easy to get yourself killed if you jump in front of a car and get hit at 70 km/h (normal speed to be found in some places in every city). However, because people deal with cars every single day, as drivers or as passenger, they get used to them and manage to judge well when to cross, when not to.
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #398
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Wow, I've never crossed a running train track, and i cant believe people do!

Of course only the odd nut case would do this in the UK, with the higher platforms. It isn't something that would ever cross anyone mind.

When I first saw this I presumed it was a pedestrian crossing - some UK lines have these, and people are sometimes killed on them.
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #399
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
True, but I've run into pedestrian level crossings in the UK before, and after seeing photos of the station involved in this incident, I have to admit that the height of the platforms would make it very encouraging to cross on foot if other methods of reaching the other side become congested.

I'm just saying that if you have to cross rail tracks on foot, it should be treated with the same amount of care as crossing a busy road, which the partygoers here obviously didn't.

Where exactly do you mean by "everywhere else in the world"? Certainly not anywhere with frequent commuter rail service, where trains laying on the horn "minutes" before passing through each station would be extremely disruptive. Not to mention that the noise will be so frequent that it would quickly lose its function as a danger signal.
Trains here in Canada rings a bell that can be heard 50 meters away over the sound of the engine as it enters.

Throughfare trains not stopping at a station in Canada always hit the horn if passing during day time hours.

Some American trains that travel to Canada will not only hit the horn, but it'll also repeatedly hit the horn until the point where you'd have to be blind to not see it. And for people who live close to the tracks (me), it really does sound like the end of the world.

Chinese trains, personal experience and videos, will always hit the horn before entering the station. Chinese stations will also announce the passing of a train and the track that it will use as throughfare. Not only that, Chinese trains also uses the Japanese HSR style horns that sounds like a horde of screaming elephants.

Heck even Toronto subway trains hit their horn on a passthrough.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #400
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Suicide pits and (wire?) fencing came to mind from listening to the report on this mishap, wherefrom we may have an instance where third rail trumps catenary ... ... ... maybe dummy third rails coupled to sensational, electric-looking, pictogrammed warnings might prove to be the deterrence

Last edited by trainrover; July 6th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sncf, spain in the world, tgv