daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #461
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Train weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
No, they only have four axles.. the double decker RENFE's max out at 86 tonnes per car, (74 Tonnes tare) plus I don't know the name of them but these new italian double deckers max out at 95 tonnes per car (78 tonnes tare weight) Pic below (Also used in Morroco)

Plus the new Italian ETR train weighs 58-62 tonnes per car. Plus many of the newer (not older) Intercity carriages are up in the 50 ton range for single levels rather than the old 38-42 ton range as they used to be.

The German Ice train also weighs 53-58 tonnes a car.
I find some of these weights hard to believe. I can believe 50-60T for a car in a set with distributed power, but 95T for a doubledecker car? That would put it outside accepted axle loads for most european railways.
That Italian EMU is quite heavy. It is also not a very good train from what I hear of it. A 4 car TAF set weights 270T, which means indeed almost 70T per car. A Stadler 6 car DOSTO weighs 290T, less than 50T per car, and it is compliant with all the crashworthyness norms in Europe.

Last edited by K_; August 16th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #462
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
When trains are too light, things like this happen, that crunch at the front is not safe for the conductor... just wanna keep train riders safe, that's all
That has nothing to do with the weight of the train, actually a heavier train will result in more force on the front. And new materials are light and strong at the same time (carbon fabrics).

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #463
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Train Collides With Lorry At Level Crossing

17 August 2010 Last updated at 18:27

Train derailed in lorry collision on level crossing

The two carriage diesel train collided with the lorry on a level crossing
Ten people have been hurt when a train derailed after hitting a lorry on a level crossing in Suffolk.
The two carriage diesel train collided with the heavy goods vehicle on Bures Road in Little Cornard, Sudbury.
Emergency services have been called to the scene. Ten people have been injured and two are trapped in the wreckage.
Suffolk Police have described it as a "major incident". Fire crews are are also at the scene.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-11006018
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:55 AM   #464
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Why does the media always make it sound like such a big deal on the trains part? that massive lorry got it's ass kicked, the train was only a little damaged.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM   #465
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Another event showing the importance of improving, massively, grade-crossings or eliminating them altogether.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM   #466
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Why does the media always make it sound like such a big deal on the trains part? that massive lorry got it's ass kicked, the train was only a little damaged.
Actually, from what I've read elsewhere about this incident, this was a rare case where the the train lost. It hit the sewage tank the lorry was transporting, leaving the vehicle and its driver mostly undamaged, while the ten wounded were all from the train's crew and passengers.

Keep in mind that the train in question wasn't some massive freight or intercity train, but this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_158

Basically, a couple of self-propelled passenger cars, a common sight on the UK's rural lines.

I hope for a speedy recovery to all the injured.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM   #467
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc89 View Post
Actually, from what I've read elsewhere about this incident, this was a rare case where the the train lost. It hit the sewage tank the lorry was transporting, leaving the vehicle and its driver mostly undamaged, while the ten wounded were all from the train's crew and passengers.

Keep in mind that the train in question wasn't some massive freight or intercity train, but this:

Basically, a couple of self-propelled passenger cars, a common sight on the UK's rural lines.

I hope for a speedy recovery to all the injured.

In the video it looks like the truck got more banged up than the train, plus flipped over. The only reason the truck driver was not injured is because like most train-truck incidents the cab was untouched. Had the train hit the cab that truck driver would have looked like nothing more than tomato sauce.

Those self propelled rail cars still weigh 45 tons each, with the two of them that's more than twice as much weight as the truck. The media always makes it sound like the train got completely destroyed and the truck was fine, when that's really never the case, in fact it's quite the opposite.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM   #468
Jay

Old August 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #469
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

I didn't seem that bad altho it would still be scary as hell to be involved it!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #470
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Well, not just in the UK - but also here in the good ol' USofA:

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...0101/100820138

Yep, freight train vs what in the USA is called a 'semi-trailer truck', known as a 'lorry' in the UK, at a level/grade crossing located between Appleton and Green Bay, WI. Lorry/truck loaded with liquid manure from a nearby dairy farm.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #471
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

It seems there was no barrier. We should really have barriers on all level crossings in Western Europe.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #472
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
It seems there was no barrier. We should really have barriers on all level crossings in Western Europe.
Definitively. In the US situation is even worse, when you measure % of grade-crossing that have no barrier AT ALL or even lack ANY safety feature save for a sign post (e.g., no flashing lights, no noise proximity device (aka static horn)), nothing.

And then you have those 2-mile long trains travelling such railways.
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #473
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Definitively. In the US situation is even worse, when you measure % of grade-crossing that have no barrier AT ALL or even lack ANY safety feature save for a sign post (e.g., no flashing lights, no noise proximity device (aka static horn)), nothing.

And then you have those 2-mile long trains travelling such railways.
Thats not true , 90% have barriers. The Rest of lights , most of those are on 1 a week used Freight lines.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #474
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

The one that I linked to above is on a line that sees between 10 and 20 trains/day (CN's ex CNW, by way of Wisconsin Central, Green Bay line, the one that would be used if/when passenger service returns to NE Wisconsin), it is in a rural setting and is protected with flashing lights. Freight train track speed on it is currently about 80 km/h.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #475
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Thats not true , 90% have barriers. The Rest of lights , most of those are on 1 a week used Freight lines.
Are you referring to all crossings? I read that info in a Denver newspaper in 2007 when I was living there. Colorado and other mountain states were at odds with the rail companies for the number of rural crossings merely signed with lights, if any at all, while the rail company was whining that they have been there since 1880 blah blah...

I myself have driven through dozens of non-gated crossings in Nebraska, Wyoming and Colorado, especially on rural and remote areas. Some dirt or gravel road crossings lack any special pavement near the crossings, making them risky if they are wet. Even if those roads have less than 50 vehicles/day traffic, it is still worth putting gates in every grade crossing given the danger poised by them.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #476
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Even if those roads have less than 50 vehicles/day traffic, it is still worth putting gates in every grade crossing given the danger poised by them.
There is no money to do this, and even if there were money to do this it would be better spend elsewhere.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #477
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc89 View Post

Correction, it was a similar but slightly older class 156

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_156

According to Railway Herald magazine, the level crossing was a little-used crossing that requires users to telephone Network Rail and ask permission in advance for each use. Network Rail reports that they did not recieve such a request, and as a result the lorry driver has been arrested by the British Transport Police and charged with endangering human life or some such crime.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #478
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

I guess he couldnt read english. Eastern european.
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #479
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Are you referring to all crossings? I read that info in a Denver newspaper in 2007 when I was living there. Colorado and other mountain states were at odds with the rail companies for the number of rural crossings merely signed with lights, if any at all, while the rail company was whining that they have been there since 1880 blah blah...

I myself have driven through dozens of non-gated crossings in Nebraska, Wyoming and Colorado, especially on rural and remote areas. Some dirt or gravel road crossings lack any special pavement near the crossings, making them risky if they are wet. Even if those roads have less than 50 vehicles/day traffic, it is still worth putting gates in every grade crossing given the danger poised by them.
The only non gated crossings are the private driveway , low trafficked , or are abandoned. The rest have flashing lights / gates or flashing lights with no gates on lower speed lines.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #480
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The only non gated crossings are the private driveway , low trafficked , or are abandoned. The rest have flashing lights / gates or flashing lights with no gates on lower speed lines.
Its the low trafficked ones that cause the problems in most countries. Either as they have no gate or due to low maintenance

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sncf, spain in the world, tgv