daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #61
C-Beam
Trickficker

Likes (Received): 3395

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
They do happen in France too, remember the crash between a lorry and the TGV some months ago!
One has to say though that a TGV looks less damaged after hitting a lorry than does an ICE after hitting a sheep.

The real cost of the state is the prosperity we do not see, the jobs that don’t exist, the technologies to which we do not have access, the businesses that do not come into existence, and the bright future that is stolen from us. (Frédéric Bastiat)
C-Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #62
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10408

Wow, crazy.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #63
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Good that nobody got killed(if you exclude the sheep).
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #64
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Beam View Post
One has to say though that a TGV looks less damaged after hitting a lorry than does an ICE after hitting a sheep.

That's the backside of the TGV, the front is totally damaged.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #65
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1639

Quote:

what about the other end of the TGV

but if sheep can get onto the track, what is stopping some children from walking onto it? i always thought the high speed trains in europe were either fenced off or raised so there is no need for the fence anyway?

edit: damn, Joko65 beat me to it...

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #66
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40952

This ICE accident did remember me another accident with a ICE train that occurred a few years ago, when the train left the tracks after hitting into a car. I remember that there were many deaths.

Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #67
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by docker View Post
what about the other end of the TGV

but if sheep can get onto the track, what is stopping some children from walking onto it?
[…]
That's the point, the german attitude is unbelievable.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #68
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:

in this pic you only see the rear head of the train.

The front head, that hit the truck looks very bad.

But remember: Thats a Truck, not sheep !!!
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #69
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
This ICE accident did remember me another accident with a ICE train that occurred a few years ago, when the train left the tracks after hitting into a car. I remember that there were many deaths.
If you mean the Eschede accident, it had nothing to do with a car.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #70
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 921

you can not compare german highspeed rail with the spanish or french. those are purpose built tracks, separated from the rest of the rail traffic. in germany the highspeed trains often use normal tracks, sharing them with normal trains. thats why not all tracks are fenced off.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #71
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
in this pic you only see the rear head of the train.

The front head, that hit the truck looks very bad.

But remember: Thats a Truck, not sheep !!!
How heavy are sheep? Don't underestimate this!
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #72
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
you can not compare german highspeed rail with the spanish or french. those are purpose built tracks, separated from the rest of the rail traffic. in germany the highspeed trains often use normal tracks, sharing them with normal trains. thats why not all tracks are fenced off.
The Hannover–Würzburg line is a LGV, a high speed line, like in Spain or France.

In Spain or France highspeed trains often use normal tracks – which are not fenced – too, so there is no difference to Germany, but the LGVs are fenced in France or Spain and that is the difference to Germany.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #73
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40952

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
If you mean the Eschede accident, it had nothing to do with a car.
Ah, sorry... It is the Eschede accident I had spoken. I must have confused... But, I remember a accident with a High-Speed train, where a car fell from an bridge on a railway line, and the train hit it.

Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #74
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Damn dude,

How does that happen? Why aren't there any wheel guards?

Does anyone know how much a sheep weighs? this seems unbelievable. Here in the Northeastern US. Trains hit deer and moose (And cars and trucks) all of the time with less injuries on the train. (American trains are far larger and heavier but still...)
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #75
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 213

yes, there just was a swedish train that smashed a moose, a big one at that. And the only thing that happened was that the train ran late some minutes, and got a nice new red livery at the front end.
ch1le está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #76
Jay

Quote:
Maybe metal sheets from the damaged front got under the wheels?

The fact that the front was damaged is Incredible (on the sheeps part) and sad (for whoever designed the train)

I mean seriously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-GzO7q0c8
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #77
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
I can compere this, because the security must be the same for this speed (250 km / h )
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #78
C-Beam
Trickficker

Likes (Received): 3395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Damn dude, How does that happen?
Apparently police is also investigating if a track switcher contributed to the derailing.

Meanwhile the sheperd has been identified. He said that he did not do anything wrong. He claims to have been at home at the time of the accident and that his sheep had been fenced in and secured. He suggested that somebody might have freed the sheep and driven the herd onto the tracks because sheep don't walk on tracks on their own (because they feed on gras and not on stone?).

Deutsche Bahn stated that the locomotive immidiately derailed when hitting 20-40 sheep because dead sheep were caught in the front bogie and caused it to turn to the side. Two rescue trains started from Fulda and Würzburg immidiately after the accident was reported and entered the tunnel from two sides. These rescue trains have 22 firemen and about the same number of medical personel on board. Infrared sights and a higher air pressure inside the rescue train enable it to drive into the tunnel even if there is heavy smoke. When the rescue trains arrived at the scene, the lights and walls inside the tunnel were full off bloody sheep parts and there was a lot of dust. Some sheep were still alive and screamed in pain. A good number of passengers on the ICE train had obviously panicked because fire extinguishers had been removed and were used in unsuccessful attempts to smash in windows. Apparently it is not well known among passengers that there are special points marked with a red circle on the windows that you have to hit with a small hammer in order to make the windows break. DB is thinking about giving passengers short emergency instructions in the future like flight attendants do on planes.

Rescue train

The cabins are under pressure in order to keep smoke out. You have to pass two doors to enter it.

Infrared sights

The real cost of the state is the prosperity we do not see, the jobs that don’t exist, the technologies to which we do not have access, the businesses that do not come into existence, and the bright future that is stolen from us. (Frédéric Bastiat)

Last edited by C-Beam; April 27th, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
C-Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #79
Jay

Incredible... but still, if there where proper guards, nothing would have ever come into contact with the wheels.

It seems unbelievable that this could have happened, almost not physically possible, I don't know how much an ICE loco weighs but it should be able to handle a few animals on the track.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #80
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

oh man poor sheep this is sad its gurosome but sad why in the heck didn't they put Fences around the tunnel area.

i feel bad about the passengers and the train and also the sheep.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sncf, spain in the world, tgv