daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:18 AM   #221
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5776

Great news. The Atlanta Streetcar, Georgia's greatest achievement since the Olympics, will remain free through the end of 2015! This is not an April Fool's joke.

Throngs of visitors have been flocking to the streetcar, Atlanta's unexpected transit success story. New lines are being built all over town to rapidly transport folks throughout the region. An urban renaissance for the heart of the New South.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta...or-2015/nkjLk/

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:03 PM   #222
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6103

Lol really? What about those articles saying the trains were empty.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #223
Q3671

Likes (Received): 196

I think they build a small loop to learn from. They keep the overhead wirering simple be glad About that.
And why is the tram slow, to warn the other street users.
Now you pay 0,60 $ / liter gas wait till you pay 2,30 $ / liter.
We have over 100 years a tram in the city.

And sorry bad English
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #224
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Lol really? What about those articles saying the trains were empty.
Well, it was April 1 when I wrote that. The joke is on the federal taxpayer, however.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #225
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

IMO, Atlanta's next rail line (either heavy or light rail) should be known as the Pink Line, except if it serves the gay neighborhoods which it should be known as the Brown Line, since Pink Line could be potentially offensive and would also promote gay stereotypes. After all, the Asian-American communities objected to the Yellow Line, which is why it was renamed the Gold Line.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #226
DCUrbanist

Likes (Received): 62

Can we just respect the fact that a transit agency made an otherwise completely insignificant design change (Yellow to Gold) and a community felt a whole lot better as a result? That actually sounds like good governance to me, especially in a city with as strong a relationship between public transportation and racial politics as Atlanta.
DCUrbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #227
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUrbanist View Post
Can we just respect the fact that a transit agency made an otherwise completely insignificant design change (Yellow to Gold) and a community felt a whole lot better as a result? That actually sounds like good governance to me, especially in a city with as strong a relationship between public transportation and racial politics as Atlanta.
Yes, and if a new line were to serve the concentrated gay areas, it should be any color but pink. My choice of brown was completely random.
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #228
DCUrbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Yes, and if a new line were to serve the concentrated gay areas, it should be any color but pink.
This is getting off-topic, but I don't think pink necessarily has the same discriminatory connotations for LGBTQ people as yellow has had for many Asians/Asian-Americans. Pink has been reclaimed in many cases as a positive symbol of the LGBTQ community. Think the Silence=Death campaign, bright colors in general at pride parades, etc.

To get back onto the question of how we identify and perceive transit, connecting transit names and colors to the culture of the communities they serve is a really interesting question. In Los Angeles, a proposed line through West Hollywood, a major LGBTQ hub of LA, has the working name of the Pink Line. I can't speak for everyone, but as an LGBTQ person I think it would be pretty great to name a line through a gay district the Pink Line!
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #229
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUrbanist View Post
This is getting off-topic, but I don't think pink necessarily has the same discriminatory connotations for LGBTQ people as yellow has had for many Asians/Asian-Americans. Pink has been reclaimed in many cases as a positive symbol of the LGBTQ community. Think the Silence=Death campaign, bright colors in general at pride parades, etc.

To get back onto the question of how we identify and perceive transit, connecting transit names and colors to the culture of the communities they serve is a really interesting question. In Los Angeles, a proposed line through West Hollywood, a major LGBTQ hub of LA, has the working name of the Pink Line. I can't speak for everyone, but as an LGBTQ person I think it would be pretty great to name a line through a gay district the Pink Line!
Even though it may not be offensive to some gays, it is still politically incorrect because it promotes gay stereotypes. Gay men do not like or wear pink any more often than straight men. In my dream light rail and streetcar system for Phoenix, the Pink Line is intentionally routed through a politically conservative area (most of Chandler and all of Gilbert and east Mesa), which probably has a lower than average gay population for the Phoenix area.

Luckily Chicago's Pink Line doesn't serve either of the city's two gay communities.

After all, pink is my favorite color and I wear it almost all the time, but that doesn't make me gay. I have received a lot of compliments from girls with my pink shirts.
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #230
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
In my dream light rail and streetcar system for Phoenix, the Pink Line is intentionally routed through a politically conservative area (most of Chandler and all of Gilbert and east Mesa), which probably has a lower than average gay population for the Phoenix area.
Politically conservative areas likely have lower than average openly gay population, but a higher than average closeted component.
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #231
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Politically conservative areas likely have lower than average openly gay population, but a higher than average closeted component.
Including, but not limited to 99% of anti-gay politicians

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #232
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Doubt it. Most gays (either open or closeted) probably prefer to live in a more liberal area, since the local laws are more likely to work in their favor. In fact, in my dream light rail system for Phoenix, the Pink Line is only one of two lines (the other being the Silver Line) that doesn't serve Tempe, which is the most liberal city in the Phoenix area and probably the most gay-friendly.
Old May 15th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #233
DCUrbanist

Quote:
Even though it may not be offensive to some gays, it is still politically incorrect because it promotes gay stereotypes.
The question of political correctness has a lot to do with the dynamics between who creates an image and who is represented by it. There's a difference between stereotypes and cultural iconography, and the difference has to do with who is creating and sustaining that imagery, and why.

Stereotypes come from people outside a group, often with the intent of marginalizing that group. This is why ideas like "women only care about money and appearance" or portrayals of Asians as yellow devils are so damaging: they operate hand-in-hand with larger cultural and structural forces that attempt to disempower those groups. I don't think anyone could suggest that stereotypes like those are anything but politically incorrect.

Icons like the rainbow flag or even the color pink, on the other hand, come from the community they represent as a way of fostering a common identity and pride. They seek to bring people together in order to strengthen social ties, increase political power, or even just feel more powerful or lovable in the face of a world that tries to disempower them however it can. It's not politically incorrect to connect LGBTQ people to an icon like the rainbow flag or the color pink when the people making that connection in the first place are the LGBTQ community themselves.

These icons, or even colors themselves, do not require everyone to feel the same way about them. For example, the rainbow flag signifies peace and international cooperation in other places, not gay pride. For some it might represent neither or both of those ideas. The fact that a group of people rally behind an image or color to mobilize their communities doesn't require you to see that meaning yourself. Red might mean communism for some, AIDS awareness for others, or even just the color you like to wear most.

Here's the beauty of all of this: LGBTQ people don't have to like the color pink. You can love the color pink. You and everyone else can feel however they like the color pink. It's a free country, and you're free to enjoy pink as much as you like, just like some gay people can dislike pink as much as they like. The fact of the matter, though, is that color pink has been a piece of LGBTQ culture for decades and a positive force for bringing the community together. Commemorating that history through the built environment (monuments, a painted crosswalk, or even the name of a transit line) is, in my opinion, an entirely appropriate way of acknowledging the meaning it holds for many people.
Old August 30th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #234
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

First Quarter 2015 Ridership numbers for Atlanta

Source : http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Bus Ridership
Atlanta / Marta Bus - 191,400 (2015)

Heavy Rail
Atlanta / MARTA - 217,100 (2015)
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #235
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

this one:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...158551&page=10
[atomic] está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #236
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...od-grants.html

FTA announces TOD grants
16 Sep 2015

USA: The Federal Transit Administration announced grants totalling $19·5m from its Transit-Oriented Development Planning Pilot Program on September 14. The funding will go towards detailed planning in 17 metropolitan areas.

‘Transit-oriented development is critical to the success of new projects and to the economy of the local communities they serve’, said FTA Acting Administrator Therese McMillan.

Six of the 21 projects concern BRT corridors. The remaining 15 cover a mixture of urban rail modes

Two projects in Atlanta are on the list. MARTA is in line for $1·6m to create a strategic plan for TOD on the I-20 East Corridor, which includes a 19 km metro extension to the northeast of the city. The City of Atlanta is getting $500 000 to implement its BeltLine Transit Supportive Land Use Implementation Plan, a strategic outline of actions to be implemented along 26 km of the streetcar corridor

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #237
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Atlanta streetcar vandalism

Source: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...raffiti/nnkYb/

dimlys1994, Q3671, geometarkv, austrian liked this post
Old September 24th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #238
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Where are the streetcars stored that the public has such easy access to them?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #239
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Underneath the I-75/85 viaduct midway through the route. IIRC the place is literally fenced in with cameras all over the place and looks like a 'streetcar prison' when closed up for the night.
Looks like Barney Fife was guarding the place apparently...
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #240
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldovan1 View Post
Everywhere is a complete disaster.
What happened. Were you mugged?

Tags
atlanta, georgia (us state)