daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » testing | archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 4851

Here is why we don't change user names or mass delete posts

Since we get a good number of requests, and because it's easier to point to an existing thread than it is having to explain it repeatedly, here is why we won't change user names or mass delete posts

Changing names is a pain in the arse for the servers. The system needs to go through 100,000,000+ posts to see if anything needs to be changed. This effectively stalls the whole system for about 15 minutes, requiring 5 to 10 minutes to catch up again.

Changing names is confusing for fellow users.

Deleting posts screws up the order of threads, which means that threads need to be re-indexed by search engines before they return proper results.

Deleting posts leaves holes in discussions.

If you get in trouble because you have been a bit too talkative, then know that you can always edit out posts yourself using the edit the button.

We do follow up on requests to delete an account, but understand that this does not delete your posts or username on screen. It deletes all of your personal details, such as your email address, which basically prevent anyone from using the account ever again.

Sponsored Links

Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 207

About this whole "We don't mass delete posts" thing: What if you have posted a question in a particular thread and you wind up deleting said question because no other user has asked/responded to/replied to said question?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #3
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3800

There are two types of deleting: soft and hard. The former simply hides the post from public view, the later actually deletes it ..... but we mods are instructed to never do that (for the reasons already explained)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #4
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 14951

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
There are two types of deleting: soft and hard. The former simply hides the post from public view, the later actually deletes it ..... but we mods are instructed to never do that (for the reasons already explained)
I don't even have the hard delete option. I think only mods who were moderating before me have that option and it's been 5 years for me.

My photo threads:

QuantumX está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Likes (Received): 1397

Hard delete and hiding posts in progress in Highways & Autobahns

Me and a lot of my fellow members are very unhappy with the mass-delete and hiding posts in progress in the international Highways and Autobahn section.
I agree that sometimes the discussions drifts a little off topic in dedicated infrastructure threads (which gets hard-deleted anyway, prompting a few angry reactions) but we also have a dedicated off-topic thread called the Roadside Rest Area. We are supposed to be able to discuss anything we want on there, and this afternoon we had a discussion about the status of Luxembourg, until the local mod came along, stated that he doesn't like the discussion and removed everything. This is not only against the policy as stated above, it is also a snub to people who have contributed to this thread (as well as other threads where posts have been deleted, and where individual postcounts have dropped. I suspect posts in this thread today have been hidden. I kindly would ask a panel to review my complaint and take appropriate action. This particular thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1742&page=1352

Many thanks
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #6
ysajnani@gmail.com
YogeshM

Likes (Received): 1

Hi,
I just read that its not possible to change the username but I wanted to know if there was a possibility since my username is an email address and I get unnecessary emails from brokers etc. Please change my username to anything at all if possible.

Road_UK liked this post
ysajnani@gmail.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Alargule
Homo Ludens

Likes (Received): 645

And that didn't occur to you at all before you actually decided to register with that username?

Hmmm....

koolio liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:59 AM   #8
rubydwivedi

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Altin

My thread was deleted. Can you tell me the reason why ?

rubydwivedi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 17957

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I don't even have the hard delete option. I think only mods who were moderating before me have that option and it's been 5 years for me.
usually, only supermods and the admins have the hard delete option.
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM   #10
rubydwivedi

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
usually, only supermods and the admins have the hard delete option.
Thank you so much for this quick reply.

But still can you tell me what could have the reason been ?
rubydwivedi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

All spams posts and threads have no place in our forum and therefore they were all soft deleted or hidden from public. I don't usually hard delete stuffs except the extreme graphic and disturbing images that I'm afraid google would detect it.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM   #12
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysajnani@gmail.com View Post
Hi,
I just read that its not possible to change the username but I wanted to know if there was a possibility since my username is an email address and I get unnecessary emails from brokers etc. Please change my username to anything at all if possible.
Sorry for the late reply, you do have an very valid point about being harassed with your current user name. You can PM to Jan to request a name change but I can't promise that he will do it because he is a very busy man. I also noticed that you only have a handful of posts since you joined our forum and that means you are not really active in posting and I fail to see its a big and urgent name change issue. If you want, we can also ban your account and you can start a new one with whatever name you want.

Old December 14th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Najimudeen
Star

Likes (Received): 2

How to change my username ( Name ) ?
Najimudeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Likes (Received): 1397

You can't. And no point asking members of staff because they won't. You're stuck with it I'm afraid...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #15
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
We do follow up on requests to delete an account, but understand that this does not delete your posts or username on screen. It deletes all of your personal details, such as your email address, which basically prevent anyone from using the account ever again.
I had another account, which I made in 2011, and used regularly until I was banned with no reason (it did say I was posting spam, which I wasn't) in 2013. I made a new account (this one) and we couldn't re open my original account, but it was ok. Anyway, I just went through my old profile and I see this:

Last Activity: July 22nd 2014
Santiago Calatrava - Frank Lloyd Wright - Zaha Hadid - Norman Foster - Frank Ghery - Renzo Piano - Adrian Smith - Mimar Sinan - Le Corbusier - Marshall Strabala - Mies van der Rohe - Kohn Pedersen Fox - Enric Massip Bosch - Walter Gropius - Tadao Ando - Kazuyo Sejima - Ryue Nishizawa - John Pawson - Alberto Campo Baeza - Bjarke Ingels

Y.N.W.A. L.F.C
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #16
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

it must have been a mistake that you were banned because I didn't see you did anything wrong after going through some of your old posts. I can unban your old account if you want but that means I will have to ban your current one.

I have no idea why it showed the last activity dated in July this year but there wasn't any new post coming from your old account after it was banned.

Last edited by Yellow Fever; December 16th, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #17
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 897

Nah, its ok. I was just worrying that someone had access somehow to the email of that user, wich i still use. But i think its fine, i already got used to JMGA
Santiago Calatrava - Frank Lloyd Wright - Zaha Hadid - Norman Foster - Frank Ghery - Renzo Piano - Adrian Smith - Mimar Sinan - Le Corbusier - Marshall Strabala - Mies van der Rohe - Kohn Pedersen Fox - Enric Massip Bosch - Walter Gropius - Tadao Ando - Kazuyo Sejima - Ryue Nishizawa - John Pawson - Alberto Campo Baeza - Bjarke Ingels

Y.N.W.A. L.F.C
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote