daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » testing | archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Kikko90

Likes (Received): 17

Upgrade Forum (3.8.8 beta 1 -> 4.2.2). When?

Dear SkyscraperCity

I wanted to ask you why not start the process of upgrading the forum by vBulletin ™ Version 3.8.8 Beta 1 to vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
It 'a forum well followed and used by all, and would also be handy to have it updated with the latest features available, or at least get close to at least move with the times.

It's not that then you have to do some kind of work, it's just a file overwrite.
If you need help in the costs, it would be enough to put an end to the banner to link to PayPal where we all support a small contribution, and achieved the goal, start the upgrade.

It would be nice for all of us this update.
We thank you for your attention, Best regards.
Kikko90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:43 AM   #2
DaiTengu
Bastard Operator From Hell

Likes (Received): 486

Never.

vBulletin 4.x runs poorly on large forums. It's unwieldy, and has tons of "features" that SSC just doesn't want or need.

We have been discussing moving to Xenforo instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Suburbanist liked this post
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 5339

We believe that the vBulletin platform is not a well maintained platform for the long run. vB4 has already been succeeded by vB5 and that version appears to have so many issues that upgrading to vB5 would be very bad for us. For software reasons we are indeed considering Xenforo, as we believe that platform is better maintained.

Second, our forums are quite large and upgrading would not be without problems. Before we start upgrading to something new, we need to make sure it is absolutely worth doing so. I don’t think we have arrived there yet, but we're looking at upgrading to Xenforo "some time this year".

Major Deegan, Union Man liked this post
Jan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

In case you move SSC to Xenforo... what differences will we find as users? I suppose we'll have to register again and there'll be an adaptation period (for thread transfer, for example). I'm particularly interested in two improvements:
- Unread threads never expiring (for example, only threads updated during the last three days appear as unread and, if you can't log in for a week, that means chaos).
- A message warning you of new posts while you were writing, very useful in forums with a lot of activity.
Thanks in advance.

lodzer.m liked this post
Escargot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Mhammed

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
We believe that the vBulletin platform is not a well maintained platform for the long run. vB4 has already been succeeded by vB5 and that version appears to have so many issues that upgrading to vB5 would be very bad for us. For software reasons we are indeed considering Xenforo, as we believe that platform is better maintained.

Second, our forums are quite large and upgrading would not be without problems. Before we start upgrading to something new, we need to make sure it is absolutely worth doing so. I don’t think we have arrived there yet, but we're looking at upgrading to Xenforo "some time this year".
cool
Mhammed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #6
DaiTengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escargot View Post
In case you move SSC to Xenforo... what differences will we find as users? I suppose we'll have to register again and there'll be an adaptation period (for thread transfer, for example). I'm particularly interested in two improvements:
All users & posts will migrate. you will not have to re-register.

Quote:
- Unread threads never expiring (for example, only threads updated during the last three days appear as unread and, if you can't log in for a week, that means chaos).
I can actually adjust this now. I think the setting of "3 days" was an arbitrary number. Would a week be better? I haven't had anyone actually bring this up before.
Quote:
- A message warning you of new posts while you were writing, very useful in forums with a lot of activity.
I do believe Xenoforo has something like this built in.

|
|
|
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

Concerning unread posts, I have found many different situations. Three days as here, all messages automatically being marked as read each time you logged out (even when accidentally), having logged in a forum after more than a year and discovering that posts written the day after I had left remained as unread...
Nowadays I can log in here everyday, but sometimes I have to disappear for a long while and I try playing with suscriptions (yes, I try "playing" and not "to play" because for me it's an experiment).
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #8
MichalJ

Likes (Received): 1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
I can actually adjust this now. I think the setting of "3 days" was an arbitrary number. Would a week be better?
Yes please. (Or even longer.)

cochise75, ko7, lodzer.m, kjnb liked this post
MichalJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #9
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

For me, a week is better.
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #10
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 745

Or 2 weeks if possible... would be even better...
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #11
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

Honestly, I'd prefer unread threads not to expire.
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #12
DaiTengu

I bumped it up to 7 days. Setting it to not expire isn't really an option, as it's all stored in the database. trying to keep track of 925,000 threads for 830,000 users would fill up the SSDs on the database servers real quick.

|
|
|
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #13
michael_siberia
Bóg-Parking-Ojczyzna

Likes (Received): 6631

Great decision!

Nie musimy kupować francuskiej technologii atomowej.
michael_siberia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #14
JloKyM

Likes (Received): 4668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Please do not forget to add cyrillic search as well as longer titles in cyrillic. Thanks

Jan, kjnb liked this post
JloKyM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #15
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

Thank you very much, DaiTengu. Sometimes I have a lot of work to do during the week (for example, the week after Christmas) and I cannot visit the forum for 4 or 5 days.
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #16
TRS-80

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
I can actually adjust this now. I think the setting of "3 days" was an arbitrary number. Would a week be better? I haven't had anyone actually bring this up before.
I brought it up about 4.5 years ago. Regardless, many thanks for making the change

DaiTengu liked this post
TRS-80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #17
DaiTengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS-80 View Post
I brought it up about 4.5 years ago. Regardless, many thanks for making the change
Indeed you did, unfortunately I never saw it at the time. Although 4.5 years ago, 7 days of database marking may have been too brutal on the database server.

|
|
|
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #18
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

Some people have complained in the Spanish forum because they didn't expect it at all and they thought it was an error. I have explained them the cause.

DaiTengu liked this post
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #19
jts1882

Likes (Received): 4224

Another forum I use was using one of the more recent vBulletin versions, but they started having trouble and decided to change to Xenforo this week.

The next time I checked the forum they had switched. All posts, user details, etc were transferred over. As a user, the only problems were that the unread threads had a lag (and took me to posts I had already read), a sizing issue with the avatar images, and a few temporary theme/font issues for the first day as they fixed them. Even some add-on games were transferred, complete with the archives. The differences are all easy to get used to.

I'm sure they were planning the switch for a while and the size of SSC might add to problems for DaiTengu and Jan, but for us users it should seamless. Either way, this is fine and if they switch it will be fine.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” – Albert Einstein

– a comprehensive searchable record and history of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
jts1882 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #20
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

Has the lag problem happened more than once?