daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » Testing | Archive

Old July 10th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #1
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 682

Please Change Your Password!

Hi,

Yesterday (July 9, 2016) we detected a hack on Skyscrapercity. The attackers were apparently after the SSC user data and made no attempt to cover their tracks.

Due to the way SSC's back-end works, the damage was minimal. It is possible, however, that some of our user data was accessed. This user data includes:
username, e-mail addresses, and encrypted/salted passwords. The user data does include the "salt" for the password as well.

At this point, we strongly suggest everyone changes their password. If you use the same password on multiple websites, you should change your password on those sites as well.

The stronger your password, the less likely it is to be cracked. Someone who has a 42-character password with random letters, numbers and punctuation is quite safe. Someone who has passwords similar to "abc123" should probably be concerned.

Keeping and managing complicated passwords can be difficult. I use a program called Lastpass: https://lastpass.com/ It's easy to use and works across all my devices (Windows, Linux, OS-X, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Android, Windows Phone, and iOS). This is the program I recommend.

Alternatives can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5529133/five-b...sword-managers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by DaiTengu; July 18th, 2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add date
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #2
blantyre bazaar

Likes (Received): 2323

Thanks

Morata liked this post
blantyre bazaar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #3
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 3922

We trust you DaiTengu!
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Ivan the Immigrant

Likes (Received): 1477

Jesus Christ, how am I going to remember 42 characters password?...

Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #5
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Supermod

Likes (Received): 9654

You can always turn on "Remember my Password" on Chrome or IE so that you won't need to type it over and over (especially if you sign in from your own devices). However, it is necessary to remember long passwords when possible to avoid being attacked. In fact, I randomize my passwords every time so that no one can catch me.

NEW!

Photo Albums:

fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #6
rafark
Mirador SSC México

Location: no importa el país, somos humanos viviendo en un mismo lugar.
Likes (Received): 4360

:S

La grandeza de mexico esta en su futuro.

¡ NO AL FLÚOR !
rafark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #7
Sgt. Pepper's
Ex nihilo nihil fit

Likes (Received): 7230

TKS Dai
Sgt. Pepper's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #8
Antonio227

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Hi,

Yesterday we detected a hack on Skyscrapercity. The attackers were apparently after the SSC user data and made no attempt to cover their tracks.

Due to the way SSC's back-end works, the damage was minimal. It is possible, however, that some of our user data was accessed. This user data includes:
username, e-mail addresses, and encrypted/salted passwords. The user data does include the "salt" for the password as well.

At this point, we strongly suggest everyone changes their password. If you use the same password on multiple websites, you should change your password on those sites as well.

The stronger your password, the less likely it is to be cracked. Someone who has a 42-character password with random letters, numbers and punctuation is quite safe. Someone who has passwords similar to "abc123" should probably be concerned.

Keeping and managing complicated passwords can be difficult. I use a program called Lastpass: https://lastpass.com/ It's easy to use and works across all my devices (Windows, Linux, OS-X, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Android, Windows Phone, and iOS). This is the program I recommend.

Alternatives can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5529133/five-b...sword-managers
Done! And thanks.

I am curious...Could you determine some characteristics of the attack? Geographical position, local hour?

Sparks Bogota liked this post
Antonio227 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Cedar Teeth
Caçador de pessimildos

Likes (Received): 575

I wouldn't be surprised if this attack was carried out by fascists.
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #10
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio227 View Post
Done! And thanks.

I am curious...Could you determine some characteristics of the attack? Geographical position, local hour?
They used Tor to hide their IP, which is not surprising.

It happened around 9am Saturday, Pacific Daylight time. (17:00 UTC)

|
|
|

Zaz965, Antonio227 liked this post
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #11
Markhoz
Bori and jamaican style

Likes (Received): 1120

Thank´s for the warning!

Ourense Cidade Termal/Auria Civitas Thermae

Markhoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #12
Ivan the Immigrant

This is what I think: it's probably CIA, North Korea or FSB(KGB) or Islamic State...

..or maybe just my ex-girlfriend...

Zaz965, Autobahn-mann, codivine liked this post
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #13
Ivan the Immigrant

Can you gives us some clues, are there particular users that were attacked?

Old July 10th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #14
Ondro
Augusmir Cautin

Likes (Received): 584

Don't you use a hash(and salt) to store them? Do you store the passwords in a plaintext? That would be rather irresponsible...

Last edited by Ondro; July 11th, 2016 at 12:01 AM.
Ondro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #15
Romb

Likes (Received): 188

Recently When i was using You Tube i couldnt open my account.There was an alert message from Google or You Tube that somebody tried to hack my account.
Romb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #16
Birdmanek1985

Likes (Received): 1899

Recently... Please more precisely. When You had a problem with Youtube? Attack was early saturday. Did you have the same password as on SCC? Maybe it's a coincidence burglary.
Birdmanek1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #17
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondro View Post
Don't you use a hash(and salt) to store them? Do you store the passwords in a plaintext? That would be rather irresponsible...
As posted in the announcement, the passwords are hashed and salted.

|
|
|

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #18
jjdns

Likes (Received): 550

Why would someone or somegroup hack this forum?

Could be some pissed off guy who ran to an argument with another user here.
jjdns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #19
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 4330

It's probably a troll wich has bombarded the site with virusses before.
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:44 AM   #20
Feleru*
Capitalino

Likes (Received): 19303

Probably ISIS trying to reclute new members. Lots of users here have the accurate profile. Xd

"Cuanto más conozco a los humanos, más quiero a mi perro."

Diógenes de Sínope

Feleru* no está en línea   Reply With Quote