daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » Testing | Archive

Old April 1st, 2017, 11:14 AM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 14330

Likes turned off for the moment

As we upgraded the systems it seems the like addon didn't want to play along. We've turned it off for now, as we're looking into it to bring it back later.
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Likes (Received): 6417

Thanks.
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Grvl
Kot Schrödingera

Likes (Received): 21977

I wanted to like your post... oh wait...

I'm a simple guy. I see a cat, I press "like".

Kociarze wszystkich krajów, łączcie się!
Grvl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Peregrin Tuk
Numenore Last Warriors.

Likes (Received): 7102

Like but dont

What about second breakfast??

Always remember: In Relativity we use Greek letters and in Quantum Mechanics we use Namekusei!
Peregrin Tuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:32 PM   #5
zZero

Likes (Received): 11032

About time we finally upgrade vBulletin engine here! Lemme know if you guys need some help. I will be able to help you guys out. For free. I used to be messing with vBulletin around a lot back in my days.
zZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:57 PM   #6
Peregrin Tuk
Numenore Last Warriors.

Likes (Received): 7102

ipboard !!

What about second breakfast??

Always remember: In Relativity we use Greek letters and in Quantum Mechanics we use Namekusei!
Peregrin Tuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:24 PM   #7
zZero

How about we add to this forum some useful add-ons (they all are free and you webmaster will be able to add them relatively easily, any web designer with good qualification is able to do it within couple hours/1 day):

- [spoiler] bbCode for this forum. So users can hide lengthy copypaste text under the link and those who wants to read it in full will just click on spoiler tag and pup the whole text to read without leaving the forum. It's helpful sometimes and we don't have to scroll through long ass texts any more...

- [attach] bbcode. Sometimes you just need to attach a pdf file to the post.. But the link is hidden for unregistered users.

- 'quote selected text' button. Instead of quoting the whole text, we can just select specific text we want to reply and just click "quote selected" button, should be next to "quote" button at the button of users' posts.

- some slideshow/slider bbcode might be nice too. Instead of scrolling through length posts with tons of photos user can just hide all his/her photo links into bbcode [slider] for example), and photos will be shown in the one midsize slideshow (one after another with 3 seconds interval or by click). Big size photo will be available upon click.

- quote/reply notification PM. When someone quotes your post or replies to you on forum, you will get notifications via private message on forum. This feature can be turned on/off by any users according their liking/preferences. Also a small popup window can appear to notify you when someone quote you and you have a choice: dismiss and continue browsing forum or click on the button and it will take you to that post so you can read and possibly reply. This feature can also can be turned on/off individually.

- addons for advanced forum statistics. Amount of visitors for each thread. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. Graphs. Hottest threads of the day, of the week, of the month. Most popular threads. Top posters. Top liked. Top infractions. Top profile visits. Top thread starters. Top reputation. Etc.

- Better search and SEO. We need a better search on this forum. It's obvious.

- social networks embedding. We have [youtube] and [vimeo] BBCodes, which are nice and useful. How about Instagram and Twitter? So users won't be just posting tons of giant screenshots of the Twitter/Instagram posts.

- [soundcloud] BBCode would be nice too...

- addons for better spam/bots protection. There are many good addons which will make life easy for moderators and admins.

- etc.
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:27 PM   #8
zZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin Tuk View Post
ipboard !!
It might be a hassle to migrate database with all users from one platform to the other one...
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:51 PM   #9
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 5386

I know quite a big forum (one of the biggests in Poland) which migrated to IPB from phpBB some time ago and now they regret that very much. They have recently considered returning to phpBB, but it's not so simple, there is no automated converter available.

They finally migrated to... Discourse (a new and supposedly modern forum engine - although it wouldn't be a good choice for SSC, I think).

Don't go into IPB. Never.

Meanwhile... the Polish SSC section can't live without likes! We are looking forward to their return.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #10
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 23369

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZero View Post
- addons for advanced forum statistics. Amount of visitors for each thread. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. Graphs. Hottest threads of the day, of the week, of the month. Most popular threads. Top posters. Top liked. Top infractions. Top profile visits. Top thread starters. Top reputation. Etc.

- Better search and SEO. We need a better search on this forum. It's obvious.

- social networks embedding. We have [youtube] and [vimeo] BBCodes, which are nice and useful. How about Instagram and Twitter? So users won't be just posting tons of giant screenshots of the Twitter/Instagram posts.
1 - it will be very useful without Accel's statistics.
2 - very, very good idea! Even national fonts are problem when you search anything.
3 - how about Facebook sharing button being added to every post?
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:41 PM   #11
zZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_siberia View Post
1 - it will be very useful without Accel's statistics.
2 - very, very good idea! Even national fonts are problem when you search anything.
3 - how about Facebook sharing button being added to every post?
1. Whatever works.
2. Search is a problem indeed.
3. Now you pushing it.
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:47 PM   #12
ElCaribeńo
In Memory of Quorthon

Likes (Received): 3122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
I know quite a big forum (one of the biggests in Poland) which migrated to IPB from phpBB some time ago and now they regret that very much. They have recently considered returning to phpBB, but it's not so simple, there is no automated converter available.

They finally migrated to... Discourse (a new and supposedly modern forum engine - although it wouldn't be a good choice for SSC, I think).

Don't go into IPB. Never.

Meanwhile... the Polish SSC section can't live without likes! We are looking forward to their return.
We should move to XenForo: https://xenforo.com/community/
ElCaribeńo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:53 PM   #13
Kpc21

Yes, I have heard that's the plan. And it looks OK. No big revolution, just the old forum concept adjusted to the current times.
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:04 PM   #14
zZero

I vouch for Xenforo too.
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:42 PM   #15
psychedelic

Likes (Received): 1263

Just when I was finally about to get a few likes as well..
psychedelic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 11:06 PM   #16
Orion602

Likes (Received): 17

I hope it won't take too long as i use this feature a lot.
Ive been mostly just reading and looking at photos during last 10 years, and liking is like saying "thank you for taking time to take photo and posting it here"..
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 11:13 PM   #17
Kpc21

I wanted to like the last post, but I cannot...

Anyway, liking is very useful when you see a post and you just want to indicate "I agree with that". Or say "thank you" for an extensive photo report from a construction.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:24 AM   #18
Private

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZero View Post
How about we add to this forum some useful add-ons:

- [spoiler] bbCode for this forum. So users can hide lengthy copypaste text under the link and those who wants to read it in full will just click on spoiler tag and pup the whole text to read without leaving the forum. It's helpful sometimes and we don't have to scroll through long ass texts any more...
Spoiler tag works perfectly not only with long texts, but with large collections of photos. When some users are not interested on subject, they can scroll down without viewing of same photos again and again. Result: more happy users. Please, add this add-on.

Recent discussion from this picture-rich thread:

> [Sofia|София] Construction, Projects & Updates [2017]

- For some time, I wonder does it make sense to shoot each newly-block around town?

- If there is interest from users, why not make sense?

- The question is rather does it make sense to make 20 pictures of the same thing from a different angle. A construction calmly covered with 3-4 photos. Unless something huge like Garitage (very big construction site).

- Much depends on the construction I would say.

- Who does not watch pictures from construction sites, published in the section plots in Sofia, just not to enter into this topic. At your request may delete your account and not to enter the skyscrapercity. Everyone has the right to choose.

- Why not make sense? I am Bulgarian, who lives now in Bulgaria and this forum is one of the main sources of information about me on the development of the city. I do not think the labor of people who reflect the development of the sites in vain.

- Being alive and healthy after more 10 years precisely these images are very useful what, when, how, why, technology, etc. It was done. Ultimately 2007> 2017. there is a giant change in Sofia and construction here after another 10 would be interesting to use these galleries for comparison and analysis. I do not scrutinized each picture, but sometimes the objects that interest me digress and plenty of time to explore. Question of desire. Photographed assess how to climb, though everything is voluntary.

- A pleading to the forum administration to add extra "Hidden tag" and should all be happy. No wonder in other sections of the forum protests against numerous pictures, which the decision to accelerate.

Last edited by Private; April 2nd, 2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: additions
Private no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:33 AM   #19
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 662

I like like. I miss like.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:18 AM   #20
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 14330

Just so everyone knows this wasn't an April Fools thing, as we upgraded for vBulletin and PHP the like system broke. Since that script is an add-on, and not a part of the original programming, I'm guessing that requires a little upgrade by whoever coded that. We're working on it to get it back soon.

hemus1421 liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote