daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » testing | archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 6230

tinypic disabled

I just disabled the linking to images hosted at tinypic .com. This image hosting site has the habit or re-using image ID's for new images, so suddenly explicit content might show up where a perfectly norman image of a skyscraper used to be. We'll see if there is something that can be done to fix this, so hopefully this is a temporary issue.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 14th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
1. Caravaggio
Eudaimonia

Likes (Received): 1221

I have whole threads of images using that photo host...

mobus, CF221, Jakob liked this post
1. Caravaggio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
G-4-Ever
G-4-Ever

Likes (Received): 316

me too, 536 photo's
G-4-Ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Tin_Can

You gotta be kidding! Thanks a lot for killing almost all Estonian forum's project threads and my own personal Tallinn photo thread which has over 1000 photos hosted on Tinypic.

Pardon my language,but what the hell are we supposed to discuss on our forum and where are we supposed to host our photos while this problem might or might not get fixed?

VISIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speechless.♥ liked this post
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ we're currently researching to see if there is problematic content hosted on tinypic on our site. So far that doesn't seem the case, maybe very incidentally. As we're under scrutiny now I don't wat to run the risk. We have every intention to turn tinypic back on as soon as we can. Nothing has been lost.
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Turing
Since 2012

Likes (Received): 4658

Use Flickr !

bozenBDJ liked this post
Turing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
You gotta be kidding! Thanks a lot for killing almost all Estonian forum's project threads and my own personal Tallinn photo thread which has over 1000 photos hosted on Tinypic.

Pardon my language,but what the hell are we supposed to discuss on our forum and where are we supposed to host our photos while this problem might or might not get fixed?
Flickr, imageshack, imgur, photobucket are the best ones. Flickr especially now that they've eliminated the 200 photo cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

bozenBDJ liked this post
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #8
thun

Jan, why don't you look for another advertising provider instead of destroying SSC in order to please big Google?
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #9
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 566

What the... Now I have to relocate almost all my photos. So from now Subefotos will be my image host.

|

The
liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turing View Post
Use Flickr !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
Flickr, imageshack, imgur, photobucket are the best ones. Flickr especially now that they've eliminated the 200 photo cap.
Lol,"best ones"?

Over the years I've used them all:
Imageshack - hosted images are randomly disappearing or have broken links. Their tech support said that they are aware of the problem with their servers,but hadn't found a way to fix these issues.
Imgur - reasonable for hosting small number of photos but afaik,it has traffic based limitations. If image doesn't get views for some period of time,it gets deleted or smth like that.
Photobucket - seriously downgrades hosted image quality after short period of time.

And I wouldn't seriously consider recommending Flickr to anyone on SSC,as they have not only once but TWICE temporarily blocked all photo links to Skyscrapercity. There's no telling that in the future they won't find something again which displeases them and they will again block all photos.

Anyway,the issue isn't about what to use in the future. The issue is about already hosted photos on Tinypic. I personally have 3500+ hosted on Tinypic alone and linked to various photo threads,construction update threads,projects,quick links thread etc on SSC.

I'm pretty sure that re-uploading this amount of photos is not an option. Not for me nor any other Skyscrapercity forumer who has photos hosted on Tinypic.

VISIT

thun, surovy_mag, Speechless.♥ liked this post
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #11
CNTower246810
Call me TKD

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
^ we're currently researching to see if there is problematic content hosted on tinypic on our site. So far that doesn't seem the case, maybe very incidentally. As we're under scrutiny now I don't wat to run the risk. We have every intention to turn tinypic back on as soon as we can. Nothing has been lost.
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
L.A.F.2.
Did someone say swag?

Likes (Received): 4613

I used TinyPic a while back, but switched to ImageShack because uploading multiple photos there is much easier. Plus, I don't have to watch the little video and enter Dawn Does More before uploading each photo.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #13
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 12988

tbh I think tinypic is way easier and faster to use than photobucket.
BringMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Xeno Axe

Likes (Received): 358

Photobucket and Tinypic are not good. ImageShack and Flickr are the best for posting images.

Wikimedia commons is also good. But you have to enter the details of the images to post in commons and the images can be used on Wikipedia. Also you can select different sizes for a single image. You can only upload your own images there.

I mostly use Commons for posting my own photographs and ImageShack for posting posters, newspaper reports etc.

Xeno Axe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #15
jamal radar
Repeh Rapih

Likes (Received): 651

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I used TinyPic a while back, but switched to ImageShack because uploading multiple photos there is much easier. Plus, I don't have to watch the little video and enter Dawn Does More before uploading each photo.
Me too..it's ok

Fanpage :
jamal radar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #16
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Lol,"best ones"?

Over the years I've used them all:
Imageshack - hosted images are randomly disappearing or have broken links. Their tech support said that they are aware of the problem with their servers,but hadn't found a way to fix these issues.
Imgur - reasonable for hosting small number of photos but afaik,it has traffic based limitations. If image doesn't get views for some period of time,it gets deleted or smth like that.
Photobucket - seriously downgrades hosted image quality after short period of time.

And I wouldn't seriously consider recommending Flickr to anyone on SSC,as they have not only once but TWICE temporarily blocked all photo links to Skyscrapercity. There's no telling that in the future they won't find something again which displeases them and they will again block all photos.

Anyway,the issue isn't about what to use in the future. The issue is about already hosted photos on Tinypic. I personally have 3500+ hosted on Tinypic alone and linked to various photo threads,construction update threads,projects,quick links thread etc on SSC.

I'm pretty sure that re-uploading this amount of photos is not an option. Not for me nor any other Skyscrapercity forumer who has photos hosted on Tinypic.
I'm only recommending those sites as a temporary solution though. Each of those has their own limitations, but since there are some issues with TinyPic now (which Jan said will be resolved), I'm just letting others know what else is out there.

-

Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Jan
High there, what's up!

The biggest issue with tinypic is (and this comes straight from them):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinypic
Tinypic is a temporary posting site. Images that are not viewed in within 90 days to a year will auto-delete. Tinypic links are also auto-generated, so once an image is removed that link is available randomly.
That means that if an image has been posted here but not views in 90 days, it could turn into anything, not only rendering it's context useless, but also vulnerable to smut images.

We're trying to find out if we have any of these inappropriate images on out site, but even if we enable it I quite strongly advice anyone to find another image hoster.
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #18
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 30580

Flickr has increased their free space to 1 terabyte. This is a great opportunity to make the switch. Others may increase their own free space limits to compete so there's plenty of options besides tinypic.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #19
GUAYOTA
what?...who?...no!...she!

Likes (Received): 186

Some months ago, tinypic turned a photo I've posted of a building into the picture of a ****. I completely understand this measure
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #20
ikops

Likes (Received): 1299

Mine they turned from a picture from the Empire State Building into an underground metrostation. I was boasting about how great the views were from up the ESB. Boy, did I look like a fool.

L.A.F.2., GUAYOTA, Godius liked this post
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote