daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums » testing | archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 5997

README FIRST: change or delete user name - uploading images - search - login problems - banner

How do I post images in my post
Unfortunately it isn't possible to upload images along with your post. In order to post images, they must be located somewhere and then linked to in your post. There are a number of web sites where you can host your image and use the link in your post:...or find more free image hosts here.

Also, most Internet Service Providers (ISP) offer some web space to upload your images to. You can upload images by using and FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program like this one. Contact your ISP for details about your internet space. More info on uploading images using FTP can be found here.

Go here to find out how to include these hosted images in your post. (This is the page where you can find info on all post markup tags by the way.)

How can I change my user name
We don't change username for technical reasons. If you have an urgent reasons to change the name, you can send me a request to delete your profile so you can create a new account.

Can you delete my account
We can, but understand deleting an account does not delete the posts nor the username. It deletes all of your personal data, such as email address and IP addresses. If you want your posts deleted, you can edit them out yourself using the edit button. If you still want me to delete your account, let me know by sending me an ssc@skyscrapercity.com or a PM.

How can I send in my banner
Go here.

I have problems logging into the forums
After registration, you should have received a confirmation e-mail and click the link in that mail to do so. If you think you have not received your email or something appeared to have gone wrong. send me an email. Please include your username for you'd be amazed how many people send me an e-mail just saying 'Why can't I log in?' and expect me to come up with their details. Also, make sure the e-mail address you send me the e-mail with is the same as the one you registrated with. Do not expect me to sign up for any of your spam repellent scripts first in order for any of our mails to come through.

For those properly registered and who have problems logging in or to stay logged in; in general, if you are using a firewall or anything else that restricts the use of cookies or sessions, see if you can adjust some of these settings until it does work for you. Also check the settings of your browser, make sure this site is not being restricted to the maximum.

The forums keep logging me out
Most of these are cookie related. Delete your cookies manually. To do this in IE 6.0: Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> View Files Then search for the individual cookies for your domain and delete them all. The name should be in the form of: Cookie:username@skyscrapercity.com and Cookie:username@www.skyscrapercity.com. Delete these. After this, restart IE.

Problems registering/validating
Most problems are being caused by people not supplying a proper email address, an inbox that has reached its limit, or having a very tight spam control program running or your provider running anti spam programs and thinking we're one. Again, don't expect me or the forums to fill out a request to be approved by your email inbox. People registering with a Yahoo account must check their spam box as Yahoo threats mail from our servers as such.

Embedding YouTube video's
You can embed YouTube videos! All you need is the video code which is the part after the equals sign (=) Example: [youtube ]-dcmDscwEcI[/youtube ] comes from the URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dcmDscwEcI

Anything else
You can contact me at ssc@skyscrapercity.com. Since my spam filter is quite strict (me myself scanning for spam), make sure to have a decent title in your email. When contacting me about some account that doesn't work, add your user name. Really, you'd be amazed how many people send me mails like 'account no work plz fix' and that's it. Don't contact me in case you got banned while recently having fiercely participated in some religious or political argument. Also keep in mind we're all in here for the fun, me and all staff included.

If everything else fails...
...go here for alternative solutions.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 49

Great advice and reminding ! Many thanks !
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 1165

Nice work. I get sick of the threads people make about these topics everyday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcanadian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 160

Great work Jan, now we won't have so many FAQ's!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM   #5
urban_phx

Likes (Received): 0

how do you post a poll?
urban_phx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #6
pawelsz

[IMG][img=http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/8830/beztytuu6an.png][/IMG]

pawelsz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #7
TalB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

I take it then I am not the only who will be getting a message saying that I am not logged in if I don't post for a while, while still having my account active.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #8
JAB323
Jan's Best Friend

Likes (Received): 2

good advice, all the newbs waste threads asking people.
JAB323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #9
JAB323
Jan's Best Friend

Old August 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #10
JAB323
Jan's Best Friend

WTF? My Bad.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM   #11
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 509

Does anyone have an idea where I can upload .tif/.tiff images?
|
|
|
Sinjin P. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #12
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 2431

for what? convert it to jpeg.
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #13
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan

66.250.111.178 skyscrapercity.com
66.250.111.178 www.skyscrapercity.com
Jan, is the above IP address correct or should it be 66.249.139.178 ?
|
|
|
Sinjin P. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #14
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 992

I'm using 66.249.139.179.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM   #15
anjanesh

Is it legal to hotlink images (our own) directly from flickr, picasaweb ?

webshots seems to be a good one like imageshack.

anjanesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM   #16
coth
pride leader

of course. even if you not own.
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:15 PM   #17
anjanesh

Not according to Flickr's TOS.

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM   #18
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 21643

^huh?? all it says is:

Link back to Flickr when you post your photos elsewhere
The Flickr service makes it possible to post images hosted on Flickr to outside websites. However, pages on other websites that display images hosted on flickr.com must provide a link back to Flickr from each photo to its photo page on Flickr.

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM   #19
coth
pride leader

i don't know how in usa, but in russia tos is not the law.

as of hotlinking - if they technically allow hotlinking then you can use it, if they technically does not allow hotlinking then you cannot use it.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM   #20
anjanesh

Alright. It also mentions somewhere that you should not use it as image hosting, which was the reason for my question in the first place. I guess that came up in Flickr API terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
i don't know how in usa, but in russia tos is not the law.

as of hotlinking - if they technically allow hotlinking then you can use it, if they technically does not allow hotlinking then you cannot use it.
Lol ! Russian law is excellent !

[ Instant Email Notification not working in this forum ! ]