daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums

About the forums Testing | Archive

Old February 20th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #1
griendt

Likes (Received): 6

How to prevent pictures/images to become broken?

With that I mean if you go to the first pages of threads that have been made years and years ago you'll notice almost all pictures and images are unavailable and broken.
I was wondering how this happens? Is it because it's been uploaded as a link or a local image? How do you prevent pictures you upload to disappear in the thread over the years? Does it have something to do with uploading it via a link versus a local image from your pc storage?

Last edited by griendt; February 20th, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
griendt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 12024

that happens when there is a problem as the image host, which could be many reasons: broken servers, expired domain names, or someone just removed the image from their servers. Not much we can do about that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #3
griendt

How to prevent pictures/images to become broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
that happens when there is a problem as the image host, which could be many reasons: broken servers, expired domain names, or someone just removed the image from their servers. Not much we can do about that.

So if I upload an image that I made myself and selected it from my local disk space it won't happen?
Like it most likely is to happen with image links from the web?
Because I'm going to take a few pictures of some buildings that are under construction and I'd rather have them on this site forever than have them unavailable after a few years...

Last edited by griendt; February 20th, 2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2236

Quote:
Originally Posted by griendt View Post
So if I upload an image that I made myself and selected it from my local disk space it won't happen?
Like it most likely is to happen with image links from the web?
Because I'm going to take a few pictures of some buildings that are under construction and I'd rather have them on this site forever than have them unavailable after a few years...
Like Jan said, if you upload one image to one free hosting it can be deleted by:

Hosting closes.
Hosting changes from free to paid model.
Hosting limits free services and images expires after no one see it after a time.
Hosting have a catastrophic failure and no backups.

It can be also deleted if:
Image owner deletes image because lack of space.
Image owner moves image to another directory.
Image owner moves image to a diferent hosting.

The only sort of safe way, it's to use one long term hosting with paid service, it may close, but if it reached a lot of years it may survive more, ofc you must continue to pay to be sure the images continue to exist.

(another reason can be also blacklist of image hosting)
If you want compatibility with standards and security, ┐why do you recomend firefox and not
?

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am
, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #5
griendt

So uploading it to archive.org and using that site to post image here will probably make them last forever? Because archive.org is a site that you probably all know and it's a data archive for all kinds of stuff, also images.
So I guess that'll work right?
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #6
Ivan the Immigrant

Likes (Received): 1987

You can start your own server and as far you maintain it you won't lose pictures...

(You can do it with Android smartphone. Just download server app from Android market for free, make your configuration and here you go, turning your smartphone into server..... until your battery discharges..

...but you can recharge it again..)

But there is not much point in maintaining your server just for couple of photos. You need to have something much more precious to invest money and effort in server activities. And relying on other people servers is always a risk I guess...

Last edited by Ivan the Immigrant; February 25th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:22 AM   #7
Yellow Fever
Proud to be Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 45205

Just save your photos in the usb or external hard drive for heaven sake.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #8
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 3785

Imgur and Flickr are relatively safe. They never change their links so the pictures stay there forever.
Gropius - Calatrava - Lloyd Wright - Foster - Recinos - Adrian Smith - Mimar Sinan - Le Corbusier - Mies van der Rohe - KPF - Massip Bosch - Ando - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - Nouvel - Mendes da Rocha - Herzog & de Meuron - Zumthor - Sn°hetta - Blocher Blocher - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

Y.N.W.A. L.F.C

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 12024

if your images are urban related, use our own (beta) photo upload app
or
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote