daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #121
ajknee

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Could you please recommend some place for me to go in Cincinatti? I went last January, and I didn't get the best impression, in fact, judging from downtown it was my least favorite city ever. But I'm willing to give it another shot!

Let me just say though, when I was there we went to the top of Carew tower, and I threw a piece of paper off the top, and the lady up there said "don't throw stuff off the top" then about 30 seconds later she yelled at us to leave, and said she would call the cops out of nowhere. Then I went downstairs to eat in the mall, the mall was empty for the most part and looked abandoned. So we went to the food court, and I went to an Asian food place, and I saw the food and asked if I could sample something, she gave me one sample then I asked to sample one more thing and she said "no, we aren't a charity." And I Left, disgusted that someone would be so rude and I said "nevermind, I'm not gonna eat here then." And when we were in the food court, all the people were either thugs or rednecks, I didn't understand. Also, the only people on the streets were homeless it seemed.

Anyway, I had a horrible impression! And vowed to never go back, but this summer we're doing a roadtrip and we will go through Cincinnati, so I'd like to know what you recommend?
In some ways Cincinnati it the most American city we've got...and in others it operates more like a European city. Cincinnati's unique because it's at the crossroads of the country. If you go 20 miles in any direction from the city you'll find people with different accents and VERY different personalities. As a result, there's a lot of cultural clashing that happens in downtown ALL the time. At the city's core is a German-Catholic heritage. If you're not Catholic (like me) you won't get chased from the city, but you have to be aware that a LOT of the city's culture is rooted in Catholicism. Sundays and Mondays are quiet because most people are at home with their families. Saturdays are the most active and if you're here on a Saturday you MUST go to Findlay Market. It's a perfect cross-section of the city. If you're wondering why such a large city feels so quiet and relaxed, it's because most neighborhoods in the city function as small municipalities. They all have their own little downtown and few feel it necessary to wander to the Central Business District. (This is a blessing and a curse at the same time.) If you have time, you should really wander to different neighborhoods and experience the shopping, activity, and culture. (I could give you a rundown, but there are hundreds...so just ask some locals when you're here.)

I'm sorry you got a bad impression, but I think you might've come here with the wrong expectations. Cincinnati's a VERY old city with a population that's quite insular and comfortable. It's not the greatest tourist town, but it's a fantastic place to live. If you come here expecting it to be like most other American cities, you'll be VERY disappointed. But if you come here with an understanding that it's different culturally you'll find a city rich in culture, arts, and history.

And here's some pics to bring us back on topic:

A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.

Last edited by ajknee; April 16th, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
ajknee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread