daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1
loefet

Likes (Received): 82

Odd grid on Hokkaido??

I saw an article on another page I visit everyday (Link, the part is a bit down) of a strange grid on the eastern end of Hokkaido. It's nothing small or anything, most of the squares have about 2.6-2.8 km long sides and the boundaries are made up of bands of trees?
It really intrigues me...

Does anyone know what it is or why it is this way??

Link to the location in Google maps: Click
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 189

I lived in this area for two years. I believe they are intended as wind breaks, as the winters are severe here, not so much heavy snow as wind and low temperatures. The growing season is too short here for most crops, but it is a big dairy region.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #3
loefet

Ah, that makes sense, do you know if there are any numbers/info on how much difference this grid pattern makes compared to a more "natural" looking landscape (with irregular shaped forests/fields)?

I really know how that kind of weather feels like, the climate at that location seems to be very similar to what we have in Sweden.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense, do you know if there are any numbers/info on how much difference this grid pattern makes compared to a more "natural" looking landscape (with irregular shaped forests/fields)?
I think the grid pattern was utilized due to the nature of the landscape, which is quite flat and expansive compared with most other agricultural areas in Japan. You can see similar patterns in the Tokachi region of central Hokkaido also. Also, there may be the fact that the Hokkaido region is relatively young in terms of development, as well as the influence of American agricultural advisors in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #5
loefet

The fact that Hokkaido might be a "newly" developed area might have something to do with it, they might have gone for a more functional and industrial design of the area which gives this grid pattern that you don't see in an area that have been under development for several centuries.

I still think that it looks pretty ugly compared to a more organic landscape.

Thanks again for answering my question and the info!!
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #6
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 884

castermaild55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: