daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #3381
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany (1972)
Architect: Eugen Schneble

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #3382
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 26001

I don't know the city

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6596&page=5657

djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #3383
Darriuss

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz965 View Post
I don't know the city
It's Samara, Russia.

Zaz965 liked this post
Darriuss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #3384
ThatOneGuy

Someone needs to stop this vandalism
Durham University is set to launch an international competition to design a replacement for its Brutalist students union building, Dunelm House, which the government controversially refused to list

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...015677.article
Old December 11th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #3385
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5144

Nothing of value will be lost, hopefully it'll be replaced by something good.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Zaz965 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #3386
ThatOneGuy

Yes something of value will be lost

I can't believe people are still repeating the same mistakes as in the past. "Eh, just a crummy Victorian shack, nothing of value will be lost"

Guillermo2312, reti32 liked this post
Old December 11th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #3387
JMGA196

I just don't see any reason why someone would consider a bunch of juxtaposed concrete cubes are somehow valuable. I mean, you don't need to be top architect to design that, literally anyone could imagine something like that and hire some architect/engineer to see the structural issues and build it.

You can't do the same with a victorian or any traditional style building.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 11th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #3388
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
I just don't see any reason why someone would consider a bunch of juxtaposed concrete cubes are somehow valuable. I mean, you don't need to be top architect to design that, literally anyone could imagine something like that and hire some architect/engineer to see the structural issues and build it.
I guess all of Corbusier's Buildings are just white concrete boxes anyone could have designed, so we should just tear them all down? Mies's buildings are just glass boxes? Come on you're smarter than that.

Atlantropa, reti32, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #3389
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 59648

I cannot find info about the location

_[]_ by «oland, on Flickr

___[] by «oland, on Flickr

_[]___ by «oland, on Flickr
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #3390
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Church in Portugal

For a brutal god. by Ed Everett, on Flickr
Old December 12th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #3391
JMGA196

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I guess all of Corbusier's Buildings are just white concrete boxes anyone could have designed, so we should just tear them all down? Mies's buildings are just glass boxes? Come on you're smarter than that.
Pretty much. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying we should tear down all modern style buildings or vilify those styles. I know many brutalist buildings look good, but they are simply not as good as others in terms of design quality. It's like comparing Mondrian's or Pollock's work with that of da Vinci or Bernini. They may look good but the technique, the results and the quality overall is enormously mediocre in comparisson.

For example, think of how much time, resources and effort Tadao Ando could have spent designing something like this and then how much time, resources and effort Louis Sullivan spent designing this. Even mentioning Ando's work is an insult to Sullivan's. Not saying that house from Tadao Ando is somehow bad, it does look good and I'm pretty sure the interiors must be amazing, but it's simply not as objectively good as Sullivan's.

(Also when I talk about time I'm not referring to the fact that modern architects now have computers at their disposal, which is irrelevant in this case)

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by JMGA196; December 12th, 2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old December 12th, 2016, 02:30 AM   #3392
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 3295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post
I cannot find info about the location
Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal
This is the CR7 Cristiano Ronaldo Museum and Hotel.

Skopje/Скопје, Zaz965 liked this post
DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #3393
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Thank you for the information.
Old December 12th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #3394
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Pretty much. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying we should tear down all modern style buildings or vilify those styles. I know many brutalist buildings look good, but they are simply not as good as others in terms of design quality. It's like comparing Mondrian's or Pollock's work with that of da Vinci or Bernini. They may look good but the technique, the results and the quality overall is enormously mediocre in comparisson.

For example, think of how much time, resources and effort Tadao Ando could have spent designing something like this and then how much time, resources and effort Louis Sullivan spent designing this. Even mentioning Ando's work is an insult to Sullivan's. Not saying that house from Tadao Ando is somehow bad, it does look good and I'm pretty sure the interiors must be amazing, but it's simply not as objectively good as Sullivan's.

(Also when I talk about time I'm not referring to the fact that modern architects now have computers at their disposal, which is irrelevant in this case)
Just because there is more sculptural detailing doesn't necessarily make a building better, especially not better by definition. The best brutalist buildings play with light, texture and form and careful use of asymmetry, instead of just having easy-to-understand sculptures on the facade usually on a simple symmetrical building. Not that I'm downplaying Louis Sullivan but there is a lot more skill required in good brutalist architecture than is first assumed.

Zaz965, Tolbert liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 12th, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old December 13th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #3395
Atlantropa

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post

Please.
There's no such thing as "objectively good", de gustibus non disputandum.
What you say is entirely your personal opinion.
Someone could say the exact opposite, that mentioning Ando's and Sullivan's works within the same sentence is an insult to Ando.
As well as someone else could consider both of them great; and someone other could think both of them as barely relevant.
It seems to me that you like decorations.
So you obvioulsy won't appreciate the instances coming from Ornament and Crime, the Less is More motto, etc.
That's all.
Atlantropa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #3396
JMGA196

Yeah, I was stating my opinion when I said "it looks good", but not when I said "design quality". I'm talking about how mediocre and comformist most modernist movements are compared to many older styles.

You can like or dislike something, that's irrelevant. But something can be good or bad independently of what people think about it.

One can like Calatrava's work even if it makes no sense, doesn't consider its context, the materials are badly used and the design itself is absolutely disfunctional. In fact I really like his Transport Hub in NYC, or his design for Florida Polytechnic University, but that doesn't make them good.

Come on, to reproduce most of those designs I'd only need a few hours in sketchup, whereas to reproduce Sullivan's or other architect's work I'd need weeks.

It's exactly the same as comparing Mozart to say, Whitney Houston. Both musicians, both amazing, but Mozart is undoubtedly superior.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by JMGA196; December 17th, 2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #3397
TRTL
TRTL

It means that a good design is measured by the time it takes to reproduce it ?

Also in terms of conformism, modernism was going away of the traditionnal way of creating a building and its space. Conformism may have been to follow the classic style.

Not that what you like is wrong in anyway. But when you state that something is superior than another, it means that you use a system of value (criterias) to determine it. And in the example you wrote about, the criteria of good or bad seems odd to me.

Atlantropa liked this post
TRTL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #3398
ThatOneGuy

Classicism (with a capital C) in particular allows very little freedom for the architect. You have to follow a very precise set of golden ratio dimensions, and there's not much choice for detailing. You have to follow the same formula with only minor variations. I'd say the pre 20th century style with the most freedom/creativity is Eclecticism.

I wouldn't say Mozart is 'objectively' better. More complex yes, more creative too, sure, but I typically like shorter catchier songs. Even for longer music I like Mike Oldfield way more than most classical music. Again, not that I'm downplaying classical music.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 17th, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #3399
JMGA196

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRTL View Post
It means that a good design is measured by the time it takes to reproduce it ?

Also in terms of conformism, modernism was going away of the traditionnal way of creating a building and its space. Conformism may have been to follow the classic style.
No, I was implying that there's no big science behind it. In Classicism, if you don't do things a certain way, it's wrong, it simply doesn't work. You have to be precise and correct, whereas in many modern styles, you don't really need so much precision. You can fix a space with a big concrete wall with a big window and it's not necessarily going to look ugly. It's much easier to make good looking buildings that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Classicism (with a capital C) in particular allows very little freedom for the architect.
I know, but I think architects nowadays are very selfish and egotistical. They care more about what they like, what their name means, instead of the city or country they are going to build in. Many architects don't give a damn about the culture, the history and the traditions of a country. That's why CÚsar Pelli copy-pasted Gran Torre Santiago in San Francisco, or why Libeskind copy-pasted his designs... well, everywhere.

And they try to replace that with stupid symbolism like in Shanghai Tower. I mean, really? Is a roll of paper all they could get from the vast culture China has behind? At least they made a rendition of Chinese pagodas in Jin Mao Tower (which is what I meant in that other thread that postmodernism can either be on point or be absolutely dreadful).

Sorry if I've deviated this thread, I just feel a lot of architecture post Mies, Loos, Gropius & co. is so selfish, so underwhelming and so lifeless...

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 17th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #3400
ThatOneGuy

Oh architects and their clients have always been egotistical/arrogant. Make no mistake. The St Paul's Cathedral, Eiffel Tower, Pyramids, any of the grand palaces are the epitome of ego stroking, but people love them because they are so brash. No modest person could have designed any of those buildings.

Zaz965, Tolbert liked this post

Tags
brutalism