daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation

Old July 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #1
PragmaticIdealist

Likes (Received): 10

"Desert Lightning" High-Speed Rail Service to Phoenix and Las Vegas

Quote:
LAS VEGAS - There's a new competitor in the race to create a high-speed rail line connecting Las Vegas and Southern California.

Genesis High Speed Rail America LLC is proposing the "Desert Lightning" - a high-speed route between Las Vegas and Southern California. Unlike other routes, Genesis' plan also calls for an intersecting line from Phoenix, linking the three major southwest metropolitan areas with one high-speed rail line.

The proposal calls for a T-shaped route. It would run south from Las Vegas parallel to the Colorado River and U.S. 95, just east of Mojave National Preserve. It would then intersect with an east-west line near Interstate 10, the freeway between Los Angeles and Phoenix.

The group is seeking federal funding to help study whether proven European technology or proven Japanese technology would be a better fit.

"I've ridden on both of the trains," Genesis chairman Duane Wilder said. "I can't say which one is better than the other and part of it could depend on the terrain, so the exact route also would be studied."

Wilder said about $35 million would cover the study's cost. If Desert Lightning succeeds in getting the study money, it would still take years to get the environmental permits and engineering completed.

Wilder said once a study is completed, investors would help fund what could be a $35 billion to $40 billion project.

At least two other groups are trying to get their own high-speed proposals beyond the planning stages. And two new companies have been recently touting party trains that would use existing low-speed lines to shuttle people from downtown Los Angeles to Las Vegas on trains loaded with entertainment options.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz0sgXi87mx
PragmaticIdealist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2
pesto

Likes (Received): 221

Is that the smell of fat government money in the air? Let's get a proposal in and get our share. After all, it's free money and somebody has to get it.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #3
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 13

its not free money its OUR money. I hope there is a ton of transparency in the requests of money, such as a marketing plan, what is the point list breakdown of the expected gains of the study, what options there are. You cant just ask for 35 million in taxpayer dollars to fuck around with.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
PragmaticIdealist

Likes (Received): 10

This project has been getting more publicity lately, and I find arguments for the route compelling. The Brookings Institution projects that the L.A.-to-Phoenix corridor will be the most successful in the United States, so creating a "Y"-shaped intersection in the middle of the desert would be the most efficient way to connect all three city pairs (L.A.-to-Phoenix; L.A.-to-Las Vegas; and, Phoenix-to-Las Vegas). That prospect has to be more interesting to private investors than the Las Vegas-to-Victorville route or the Las Vegas-to-Anaheim mag. lev.
PragmaticIdealist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #5
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 145

It's going to be interesting in the near future to see all of this public divestment away from our infrastructure that will have to be financed by foreign countries and corporations. Bring on the Target Red Line, Staples Blue Line and Toyota Yellow Line.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #6
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 0

an article from Sept 11:
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/...2.2b0a5ea.html

High speed, high stakes dominate Vegas rail race

I miss the weather here in MD. At this time though we are experiencing Santa Monica like weather. But not for long (:
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote