daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #21
R.K.Teck
[BACK ON BOARD]

Likes (Received): 545

Looks simple +
matches the Olympic stadium, however a fraction of the budget to make a stadium wrap would have been sweeter.
R.K.Teck no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #22
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 404

Boris cable car could be extended to Canary Wharf

-- Link to Wharf article --

The Mayor of London's proposed £25million cable car scheme across the Thames could be extended to Canary Wharf if it proves a hit with fare-paying passengers.

Mr Johnson unveiled plans for the crossing between The O2 and the Royal Docks in July, and is currently waiting to finalise funding with private investors. The Wharf has learned that should that project prove a success there are plans to extend the service to link The O2 with Canary Wharf.

Plans were mooted to build a cable car crossing between The O2 and Canary Wharf in 2005, but were shelved on the grounds of cost, but have now been revived. A source said: "The Mayor is very keen on the project and if the initial link proves a success he wants to build a second one between north Greenwich and Canary Wharf, which would undoubtedly be popular."

Planning applications for the first part of the crossing, which will rise 50metres above the river, were submitted to Newham and Greenwich Councils and the Thames Gateway Development Corporation last week. But one major stumbling block remains the finance for the scheme. The costs of the planning applications were jointly funded by Transport for London and the London Development Agency, but key sponsors are required if the project is to come to fruition.

A TfL spokeswoman said: "Work to secure funding is ongoing and we hope to be able to announce further details about third party funding in due course." Meanwhile, an official notice inviting bids to tender for building the link will be published in the Official Journal of the European Union later this month, with a detailed tendering process to follow early next year.

Mr Johnson hopes to have the new cable car operational before the 2012 Olympics.
~~

These pictures - seen here for the first time - show the proposed designs for the stations in north Greenwich (above) and the Royal Docks (below). They were designed by architects Wilkinson Eyre.

London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #23
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 404

Plans outlined for Boris Johnsonís Cable Car scheme over Londonís River Thames

-- Link to Docklands24 article --

London Mayor Boris Johnson wants to connect Royal Docks and The O2 through a five-minute journey in a gondola. The proposals have now been lodged with both Newham and Greenwich councils, with the scheme set to be completed in time for the 2012 Olympics if it is approved.

ďIt would be a first for the Capital, and the only urban system in the UK, said a joint application by Transport for London and the LDA. It would seek to replicate the success of cable cars in many cities across the world. The London Cable Car will allow greater flexibility and resilience in travel options, as well as providing an attraction in its own right Ė particularly in association with the other attractions in the area.Ē

Each gondola will hold up to 10 passengers, with the capacity to carry bikes, wheelchairs and mobility scooters. Fares will be set at £2.50 for pay-as-you-go Oyster users and £3.50 for everyone else, with children and OAPs paying half price.

In the north, the 95-metre tower will be just 180 metres from Royal Victoria DLR, while the south tower will be around 400 metres from The O2.

The scheme will be mostly aimed at commuters looking for an alternative to road or Tube crossings, with tourists also expected to use the cable car. During the 2012 Olympics it is expected almost 5,000 people will use it. By 2016, numbers should reach 800,000 a year, a figure almost doubling by 2026. The intention is also to provide a visual attraction, with gondolas lit up at night similar to the London Eye.

Operating times are proposed to be from 7am to midnight on weekdays, 8am to midnight on Saturday and 9am to 11.30pm on Sunday.

Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor of Londonís Transport advisor, said: ďTransport for Londonís consultation has shown over 80 per cent of respondents in favour of the Mayorís vision to have a privately funded cable car crossing the Thames, helping to cut journey times for people travelling around east London.

ďA cable car would be a unique addition to the capitalís transport network, providing spectacular views of Londonís iconic skyline whilst providing a much needed boost to river crossings in the east of the city. The submission of a planning application by Transport for London to the London Boroughs of Greenwich and Newham is the next step in the process to get this project off the ground.Ē
London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #24
jdjones
Merry Exmas

Likes (Received): 1529

Well I like them, however I don't know how much use it will be. Is there much call for moving between excel and the dome, and between the dome and canary wharf? I suppose if a joint event was held at the O2 and excel it would be useful. Is there any tourist places at royal docks?
jdjones está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #25
chrissus83

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjones View Post
Well I like them, however I don't know how much use it will be. Is there much call for moving between excel and the dome, and between the dome and canary wharf? I suppose if a joint event was held at the O2 and excel it would be useful. Is there any tourist places at royal docks?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1221037

The Siemen's Centre is being built right next door to the cable car landing at Victoria dock, which will be a museum of sustainable science. This is supposed to become a catalyst of green eco research centres in the immediate area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgnome View Post
It is the building on the right hand side of this image.

As for tourist destinations there isn't much besides walking around the dock itself. It may become a tourist detour though, for people wanting to go to the o2 and wanting a fun journey.. I would definitely go, £2.50 a pop, its a bargain!
chrissus83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #26
bertyboy
Resident Ignoramus

Likes (Received): 475

This is so clearly a white elephant in the making. Are there really 1.6m commutes between the Royal Victoria Dock and North Greenwich?? Somehow I doubt it.
People travelling longer distances will make the journey via the Jubilee/DLR anyway.
Save 25m on this and use a bit to finish off the stadium!
bertyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #27
wawd

good to see some renders. linking it to Canary Wharf would be awesome and much needed when the Peninsula becomes rather cut off during tube strikes/maintenance works
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #28
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 12

I think schemes like these are good value despite questions over the actual need or usage.
Peak usage undoubtably would be when there is a major event on at the dome. The hotels at Excel would benefit from a new crossing direct to the dome and so would some motorists who could park and ride from Excel or further along on the DLR rather than use the tunnel. This could all lead to more hotels being built maybe? More homes will be built regardless either side of the river and more modes of crossing the better in my humble opinion.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #29
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawd View Post
linking it to Canary Wharf would be awesome and much needed when the Peninsula becomes rather cut off during tube strikes/maintenance works
It would definitely change the business case, in close proximity to the estate and the Wood Wharf development they'd surely be more passenger demand for this than just mere tourist curiosity, in fact i'm not sure why they don't propose it as part of the first phase?
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #30
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
It would definitely change the business case, in close proximity to the estate and the Wood Wharf development they'd surely be more passenger demand for this than just mere tourist curiosity, in fact i'm not sure why they don't propose it as part of the first phase?
They did, and it was dropped when people complained it would pass right by their apartment windows.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #31
ismail

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesquip View Post
Who's paying for it? That's what I'd like to know...
TFL

It's a relatively low cost project, something that will generate a lot of revenue
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #32
london lad

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismail View Post
TFL

It's a relatively low cost project, something that will generate a lot of revenue
i thought they were only funding it up to planning and that the private sector had to pay for it to be built.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #33
wawd

correct. we were canvassed and recieved leaflets outlining the plans a while back. they said they were seeking private funding. of course i gave this my full backing
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #34
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 311

I've mapped possible cross river spots for cable cars along the Thames. The problems for Canary Wharf are Wood wharf and squeezing past apartments. I've also drawn ones for the Western side of the Isle of Dogs. As the river is narrower and there are no large sites far enough back to get high above the river. Any system crossing here would need to be able to be held back for tall ships.

So we are talking about a larger two cab system for the West. This means that that it would be more intrusive support wise so may be difficult to get near residential.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...f9e8562537d9a6
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #35
delores

Likes (Received): 191

You can understand the reservations but there must be somewhere on the wharf that can support the Cable car? What about a pier on the river?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #36
DMK

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
I've mapped possible cross river spots for cable cars along the Thames.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...f9e8562537d9a6
I like the way 'line 4' follows the alignment of Millwall docks. I think what is needed between Rotherhithe and riverside south is an iconic bridge. Something like a bigger version of the blinking eye bridge in Newcastle. I'm sure it would be heavily used by commuting cyclists living in south London. It is just a pity that alcor mittal didn’t donate this to London instead of the Orbit tower.
DMK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #37
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I like the way 'line 4' follows the alignment of Millwall docks. I think what is needed between Rotherhithe and riverside south is an iconic bridge. Something like a bigger version of the blinking eye bridge in Newcastle. I'm sure it would be heavily used by commuting cyclists living in south London. It is just a pity that alcor mittal didnít donate this to London instead of the Orbit tower.

Cancelled by Boris.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #38
spindrift

Likes (Received): 321

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...to-the-east.do

spindrift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #39
chrissus83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post

Cancelled by Boris.
....just as well...

Last edited by chrissus83; November 8th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
chrissus83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #40
bertyboy
Resident Ignoramus

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissus83 View Post
....just as well...
It looks like a guillotine. Not a pretty design at all, by any stretch of the imagination.
bertyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
east london, london, olympics, royal docks