daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #121
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8243

Do you live there mate or did you take shitloads of photos during your stay? Either way these are cool shots, Paris looks good!

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #122
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Hey, that car didn't seem to be parked in a prohibited area!
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #123
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Do you live there mate or did you take shitloads of photos during your stay? Either way these are cool shots, Paris looks good!
No I don't live there haha but I did take a lot of photos during the three days I was there. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
Hey, that car didn't seem to be parked on a prohibited area!
In that picture it doesn't look like a prohibited area but I suppose it must have been if it's being towed away? There are no indicative lines.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:30 PM   #124
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART XI
Le Marais & Bastille

Le Marais is an historic district in the city. Long the aristocratic district of Paris, it hosts many outstanding architectural buildings. Following its rehabilitation, the Marais have become a fashionable district, home to many trendy restaurants, fashion houses and hype galleries. The area was home to many famous people, most notably, Victor Hugo, who lived in No. 6, Place des Vosges - the idyllic square that features in this update.

The Place des Vosges is the oldest planned square in Paris. Originally known as the Place Royale, the Place des Vosges was built by Henri IV from 1605 to 1612. A true square (140 m x 140 m), it embodied the first European program of royal city planning. It was built on the site of the Hôtel des Tournelles and its gardens: at a tournament at the Tournelles, a royal residence, Henri II was wounded and died. Catherine de Medicis had the Gothic pile demolished, and she removed to the Louvre.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM   #125
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

-BUMP-
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM   #126
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 532

Few cities in the world make me feel like an a-hole not being able to visit them. Paris is one.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #127
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

Neat photos of Montmartre and the Marais Bristol Mike ! Too bad you went during the peak of pollen haze, not the best "weather" to take photos from Montmartre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
I can understand why as they're not the best of trains. One of the ones I was on on Line 1 came to a halt very suddenly 3 times, leading to a few people falling over in the aisle. They are quite vintage though and look nicer than some of the more modern ones.
There are no MF67 on line 1, only MP89s. The ride in these can be indeed quite rough, much more than in the steel-wheeled trains (old and new) that run on line 2.
The thought of that they wanted to convert all the lines to rubber-tyred trains makes me shiver.
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #128
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtAkAw View Post
Few cities in the world make me feel like an a-hole not being able to visit them. Paris is one.
I have to say I couldn't believe that I hadn't been to Paris considering I had been to Madrid twice before. Certainl a visit I will remember and hope to be back there soon sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Neat photos of Montmartre and the Marais Bristol Mike ! Too bad you went during the peak of pollen haze, not the best "weather" to take photos from Montmartre.

There are no MF67 on line 1, only MP89s. The ride in these can be indeed quite rough, much more than in the steel-wheeled trains (old and new) that run on line 2.
The thought of that they wanted to convert all the lines to rubber-tyred trains makes me shiver.
Thanks [email protected] Yes the weather was very odd. I think the northeasterly wind was carrying mucky air across from Germany. It was beautifully clear and sunny in Britain which was directly under the high pressure but not so in Paris. It was also either warm when the sun came out or cold when the clouds stuck.

Do they not?! I'm sure it was Line 1, coming from La Defense down to Chatelet. Maybe it wasn't an old train but it gave a rough ride nevertheless haha. I can't imagine rubber-tyred lines though! Who came up with that?!
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #129
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Great captures in this thread. As for the descriptions, it is kind of true that your guide book which you reference is somewhat not to-date or too "typical guide book" in its descriptions. For example, Le Marais is not that I know of known for fashion houses, at least not in the sense of a real fashion house. That is very much the case of the Golden Triange and Rue du Fbg Saint-Honoré, both in the western half of Paris. As for the Marais, it is today very much a neighborhood attributed to a gay population and now yuppies, and an expensive place, especially for being in the eastern half of the City. It also has a Jewish history but I'm not too sure about now. Now it's mainly gay and yuppie, although the area around Place des Vosges may be more bourgeois or affluent.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #130
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

You lucky bugger I wish that I was an hour away from Paris I love this pic (a shame that the public rubbish bins are just bags) ...

Thanks for the pics and for making me turn green with envy
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #131
Jennifat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I love this pic (a shame that the public rubbish bins are just bags) ...
Most high-profile cities at risk for terrorism do this now so police can more easily spot hidden explosives. They don't do this in Sydney?

Anyway, great photos Mike! I was in Paris a few years ago...if only I could just hop on a train and be there in an hour...
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #132
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifat View Post
Most high-profile cities at risk for terrorism do this now so police can more easily spot hidden explosives. They don't do this in Sydney?
What a shame, can't speak for Sydney but when last I was there I didn't see any rubbish bags being used as bins. I live in Auckland - my name is Sydney.

I don't think that plastic bags will act as deterrents, it is easy to hide explosives in amongst the rubbish - where there is a will there is a way.
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #133
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Paris was hit by a serie of bombings back in 1995, some of them were carried through gas bottles concealed in rubbish bins. Hence the plastic ones we got used to.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #134
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Great captures in this thread. As for the descriptions, it is kind of true that your guide book which you reference is somewhat not to-date or too "typical guide book" in its descriptions. For example, Le Marais is not that I know of known for fashion houses, at least not in the sense of a real fashion house. That is very much the case of the Golden Triange and Rue du Fbg Saint-Honoré, both in the western half of Paris. As for the Marais, it is today very much a neighborhood attributed to a gay population and now yuppies, and an expensive place, especially for being in the eastern half of the City. It also has a Jewish history but I'm not too sure about now. Now it's mainly gay and yuppie, although the area around Place des Vosges may be more bourgeois or affluent.
Thank you! Yes, the descriptions may be a bit dodgy, but as I make clear, they are from the guidebook which isn't necessarily true and may miss things out. I certainly saw some fashion houses around but was unaware of the gay population in Le Marais. I'm more aware of the history of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
You lucky bugger I wish that I was an hour away from Paris I love this pic (a shame that the public rubbish bins are just bags) ...

Thanks for the pics and for making me turn green with envy
Haha, you must visit some time, you'd love it! Yes, the public bins are a bit of an eyesore but there are solid reasons I suppose. Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifat View Post
Anyway, great photos Mike! I was in Paris a few years ago...if only I could just hop on a train and be there in an hour...
Thank you. Distance isn't a problem for me, it's more being able to afford it haha. Would love to go back again soon though.
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #135
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Old March 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #136
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

- BUMP -
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #137
seb2000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The most beautiful city in the world, no doubt
seb2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #138
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33915

great job mike.
you almost covered the whole city in three days time.
and that's a ton of photos - what a dlsr can do.
I stayed there for 7 days and I never had been as many a places and photos as you have.
but I'd been to the louvre twice, spending half a day each, to rodin museum and a day side trip to versailles.
I thought I didn't see even half of the city and one place I wanted to go was montmarte but don't have enough time.

Vancouver&Burbs TravelPhotosUpdate

Last edited by capricorn2000; March 6th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #139
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb2000 View Post
The most beautiful city in the world, no doubt
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
great job mike.
you almost covered the whole city in three days time.
and that's a ton of photos - what a dlsr can do.
I stayed there for 7 days and I never had been as many a places and photos as you have.
but I'd been to the louvre twice, spending half a day each, to rodin museum and a day side trip to versailles.
I thought I didn't see even half of the city and one place I wanted to go was montmarte but don't have enough time.

Vancouver&Burbs TravelPhotosUpdate
I did cover a lot in that time yeah, though unlike you, I didn't venture out of the city to Versailles. Perhaps next time I will do that and take a visit to Giverney as well. Always important to leave stuff for next time as there is loads of Paris I haven't seen yet. Montmartre was lovely apart from the Place du Tertre which was absolutely heaving with tourists. A nice spot in Montmartre but I was happy to get away to the quieter streets. Cheers man!
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM   #140
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

- BUMP -

Tags
paris photo