daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #241
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by hater View Post
its an 8 lane road thats why underpasses are built at that part
Imitating the architecture and life style of European cities, but intersecting everything with monstrous Asian/American highways...it won't work, sorry!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #242
hater

Likes (Received): 1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Imitating the architecture and life style of European cities, but intersecting everything with monstrous Asian/American highways...it won't work, sorry!
only 3 highways go through this big project
and only a smart part of the project imitates the European architecture
hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #243
Tiaren

Only three highways...
One is enough to destroy the cityscape. We Europeans learned that already some decades ago...
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #244
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7546

Quote:
Imitation? Baku's architecture was especially influenced by european architecture during the oil boom of late 19th century. There are hundreds of european style buildings built in that time.

The coastal highway will be the only 8-lane road within this project. All the rest roads will be max. 6, in fact mostly 2-4 lane roads. As for underground pedestrian crossroads, they have been built in many parts of Baku, regardless to the width of roads.

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #245
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Only three highways...
One is enough to destroy the cityscape. We Europeans learned that already some decades ago...
In fact, only two. The existing Nobel avenue and the under construction coastal road. All the rest roads around and within the project are planned as 2 to 6 lane roads.
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #246
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5832

I don't think this is about imitating European whatever or not. It is about how pedestrian friendly a city is. Granted many large cities around the world are not terribly pedestrian friendly so if Baku were to plan with pedestrians just as an afterthought after thinking about cars, it would be hardly alone.

I just had a glance at Baku on google maps and one could see a lot of underpasses indeed. I have never been there, maybe residents really don't mind but where I live underpasses are undone again and replaced by at level pedestrian crossings. And you can really see that people actually prefer using traffic light controlled at level crossings over underpasses where they have the choice between both.
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #247
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I don't think this is about imitating European whatever or not. It is about how pedestrian friendly a city is. Granted many large cities around the world are not terribly pedestrian friendly so if Baku were to plan with pedestrians just as an afterthought after thinking about cars, it would be hardly alone.

I just had a glance at Baku on google maps and one could see a lot of underpasses indeed. I have never been there, maybe residents really don't mind but where I live underpasses are undone again and replaced by at level pedestrian crossings. And you can really see that people actually prefer using traffic light controlled at level crossings over underpasses where they have the choice between both.
The number of cars increased dramatically in last years, that is why government tries to avoid traffic light controlled crossings.
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #248
Slartibartfas

But by doing so you are just repeating the mistakes of Western European cities of some decades ago.
If you want to know the consequences of such a "car-friendly" policy it would be enough to look at the history of cities that have pushed those policies already many decades ago and what they learned from it.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; October 6th, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #249
Tiaren

You can't forget, it's a city in a developing country. They have to learn their lesson on their own.
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #250
Azer_Akhundov

Quote:
But by doing so you are just repeating the mistakes of Western European cities of some decades ago.
If you want to know the consequences of such a "car-friendly" policy it would be enough to look at the history of cities that have pushed those policies already many decades ago and what they learned from it.
Quote:

You can't forget, it's a city in a developing country. They have to learn their lesson on their own.
To be honest, I still don't understand why using underground pedestrian crossings would be disastrous. For me, it is safer and also drivers would be pleased.
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #251
Slartibartfas

No, underpasses are not "disastrous". Having underpasses is also much better than having no pedestrian crossing possibility at all. It's merely that they are more expensive to build and either expensive to maintain or unpleasant run-down places. Pedestrians also have to go longer distances to get to the same places.

Maybe my disappointment derives from the fact that the White City is marketed as top notch urban development. So I hoped that it were not designed like those car friendly city scapes we are nowadays trying to redesign again in Western Europe.

Quote:

Maybe, but isn't it a depressing thought, that those countries couldn't learn from mistakes other countries have made long ago instead of just repeating the very same mistakes again? Or is it just the way it has to be? I don't know.
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #252
hater

Quote:
No, underpasses are not "disastrous". Having underpasses is also much better than having no pedestrian crossing possibility at all. It's merely that they are more expensive to build and either expensive to maintain or unpleasant run-down places. Pedestrians also have to go longer distances to get to the same places.

Maybe, but isn't it a depressing thought, that those countries couldn't learn from mistakes other countries have made long ago instead of just repeating the very same mistakes again? Or is it just the way it has to be? I don't know.

traffics in Baku are very bad on the same level as Moscow I would say
so these underpasses are necessary and one of the ways to ease up traffic
and no they are not unpleasant run-down places

Old October 6th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #253
Tiaren

Now, you should ask yourself, why is traffic so bad in Baku? Is Azerbaijan and Baku as big or populated as Russia and Moscow? Why do you need all that cars and highways, like in the US, when Azerbaijan is even smaller than many European countries?
I have the strong feeling, that Baku has become rich and now wants to be as big and impressive and important as for example Dubai or Shanghai. So they build big...who cares about pedestrian friendliness. I think, that is the real problem. Baku tries to equal booming Asia, when it should better look to it's European roots and values. And not on a superficial level, by imitating their architecture, like the Parisian quarter of White City clearly does.

CF221 liked this post
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #254
hater

Quote:
Now, you should ask yourself, why is traffic so bad in Baku? Is Azerbaijan and Baku as big or populated as Russia and Moscow? Why do you need all that cars and highways, like in the US, when Azerbaijan is even smaller than many European countries?
I have the strong feeling, that Baku has become rich and now wants to be as big and impressive and important as for example Dubai or Shanghai. So they build big...who cares about pedestrian friendliness. I think, that is the real problem. Baku tries to equal booming Asia, when it should better look to it's European roots and values. And not on a superficial level, by imitating their architecture, like the Parisian quarter of White City clearly does.
uhmm what are we supposed to do ? take away the cars? government is trying to develop the infrastructure as fast as it can and plans to build additional 50 subway stations , aswell as other projects to influence people to move to public transport.
infrastructure wasn't keeping up with the large number of cars coming to Baku when the economy was in tough shape , now the government invests billions to solve problems of huge traffic in Baku
I just like Azer don't understand what's bad about underground passes? eases up traffic and its safer for people
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #255
Slartibartfas

I think its important to realize that you can't have a completely car friendly city and a pedestrian friendly city at the same time and that the more a city is designed around car traffic, the less suitable it is for public transportation. You can't have everything, so you have to choose your priorities. I think that's the lesson Western Europe and even the US have already learned.

If you create huge roads, you also induce new car traffic and drain PT ridership. That increased traffic will jam your inner city roads which can't be equallly extended, unless you are tearing down large parts of the inner city.
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:06 PM   #256
Azer_Akhundov

Baku White City

Galandar, kamranyeezy liked this post
Azer_Akhundov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:14 AM   #257
Azer_Akhundov

BWC Hotel:

Gobustone

Galandar, XL liked this post
Azer_Akhundov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #258
aimant

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azer_Akhundov View Post
BWC Hotel:

Gobustone
Where is location of "BWC Hotel"? Any other info on this hotel?
aimant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #259
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Construction update:

Photos by user emsybax

Chadoh25, CF221, hypersite liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:12 AM   #260
hypersite

Likes (Received): 23

Amazing !

This is an amazing project ! Specially the Paris style part, it's amazing, it's like the transformation of Paris in the 1800 century ! Please keep posting more picture love it !
hypersite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baku