daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM   #61
MareCar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt View Post
Well yeah, but nobody says that when the UK builds stuff like in the Canary Wharf or the Parisian La Defense. Nobody would say that it lacks London or Paris style and looks too American.

Every modern city in the world has its modern areas, Baku should also have its own.
A copy of Hausmann's Parisian architecture from the mid 18-hundreds, in fact building a whole "little Paris" of the size of several blocks, has nothing to do with "modern", it's kitsch. This whole project is a huge blanket, patched together by different Western architectural styles of the past 150 years, which made it an easy sell to the authorities, their craving to be in "Europe" (instead of accepting that they have nothing to do with Western Europe) is obvious.
I can also see 70s, 80s, 90s architecture in there (in fact, most of which already exists as buildings somewhere, and no I will not find them for you), a stereotypical "here's a sculpture in front of which tourists can take pictures, so we look like a tourist city" in the form of a "Cloud Gate" copy and many other things.

Will the buildings, streets and squares look good? Probably. Will it be any less ridiculous? No.

doguorsi, Sumar liked this post

Last edited by MareCar; January 23rd, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
MareCar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #62
Emperor Diocletian
Neoliberal

Likes (Received): 11246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareCar View Post
A copy of Hausmann's Parisian architecture from the mid 18-hundreds, in fact building a whole "little Paris" of the size of several blocks, has nothing to do with "modern", it's kitsch. This whole project is a huge blanket, patched together by different Western architectural styles of the past 150 years, which made it an easy sell to the authorities, their craving to be in "Europe" (instead of accepting that they have nothing to do with Western Europe) is obvious.
I can also see 70s, 80s, 90s architecture in there (in fact, most of which already exists as buildings somewhere, and no I will not find them for you), a stereotypical "here's a sculpture in front of which tourists can take pictures, so we look like a tourist city" in the form of a "Cloud Gate" copy and many other things.

Will the buildings, streets and squares look good? Probably. Will it be any less ridiculous? No.
of course they have nothing to do with Western Europe, but Europe is not only Western Europe.

but I agree with you, this project is realy kitsch. they are trying to build history that did not exist. instead of this they could have built a complete modern city and it would be a great project.
Emperor Diocletian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #63
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Diocletian View Post
of course they have nothing to do with Western Europe, but Europe is not only Western Europe.

but I agree with you, this project is realy kitsch. they are trying to build history that did not exist. instead of this they could have built a complete modern city and it would be a great project.
Please check pictures of downtown Baku, see historical buildings of the end of 19- beginning of 20th centuries then come back and say whether it existed or not.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM   #64
Emperor Diocletian
Neoliberal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
Please check pictures of downtown Baku, see historical buildings of the end of 19- beginning of 20th centuries then come back and say whether it existed or not.
that is not the point. building NEW buildings in 18 century style is building a fake city.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM   #65
MareCar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Exactly. And the same goes for faux mid-late 20th century architecture.
MareCar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #66
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
that is not the point. building NEW buildings in 18 century style is building a fake city.
Let us decide what to build, ok?

Sumar liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:28 PM   #67
Emperor Diocletian
Neoliberal

Quote:
Let us decide what to build, ok?
well, who said you must not build it?
build what ever you want, it is up to you, but it is also our right to say it is just kitsch. or you think we should say only nice words about project?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:07 PM   #68
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
well, who said you must not build it?
build what ever you want, it is up to you, but it is also our right to say it is just kitsch. or you think we should say only nice words about project?
Well you can say that. That is your right to share your thoughts
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #69
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareCar View Post

Indeed! Although I am in favor of building in LOCAL traditional styles both authentic or newly interpreted ,especially in old city centers, this copying of FOREIGN traditional styles is just kitsch.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #70
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Do you know what is the approximate value of this project?
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #71
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
Indeed! Although I am in favor of building in LOCAL traditional styles both authentic or newly interpreted ,especially in old city centers, this copying of FOREIGN traditional styles is just kitsch.
Well it is kitch, so what? Let Baku also have some kitch Especially in the case when from the very start this area within BWC is called 'French Quarter'
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #72
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
Do you know what is the approximate value of this project?
No idea but it definitely costs some billions. The government will pay for infrastructure while the housing, business area and the mall will be private investments
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #73
toca

Likes (Received): 0

Its a cool project. no need to argue if its fake or not, because this is the small part of a huge project. it will create job for thousands of people, it will encourage young architechs or project planners to make better things.
toca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #74
petrb

Looking to invest to those kinds of projects

Interesting project. We would like to seriously consider to invest to this kind of projects in approx. amount of EUR 200m. Is anybody able to advice me the best way how to do that? We are the group from EU active in development area in many european countries. see www.ppf.cz
Many thanks for the answer. Petr
petrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #75
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrb View Post
Interesting project. We would like to seriously consider to invest to this kind of projects in approx. amount of EUR 200m. Is anybody able to advice me the best way how to do that? We are the group from EU active in development area in many european countries. see www.ppf.cz
Many thanks for the answer. Petr
If you are interested in BWC please send me a PM I will give your their contact information. Thanks!
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #76
petrb

[email protected] Thanks. Petr Babica
petrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #77
Ras Siyan
Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti

Likes (Received): 1358

Wow! This will make this beautiful Baku a marvelous city.
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #78
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6488

Olympic Village

Concept Materplan - ATKINS

One of the largest districts of Baku White City was designed as part of Baku city's bid to host the Olympic Games in the year 2020.

Proposed Olympic Village is planned to accommodate residential apartments for around 18000 athletes and officials, along with media and broadcasting centers, tennis stadiums, velodrome and BMX, and large areas of open space, including continuation of Waterfront Boulevard.

PROGRAM:

- The Olympic Village for a 18000 population (213000 sqm)
- The Media Village for a 16000 population (187000 sqm)
- International Broadcast Center (48700 sqm)
- A Tennis Stadium (72300 sqm)
- Velodrome and BMX track (50800 sqm)

LEGACY:

After the Games, the Olympic Village intends to be a lasting legacy of es-sential new housing for City, by transforming it into a new residences and public spaces and expanding the City towards existing developments in eastern part of Baku.

Source: www.bakuwhitecity.com
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #79
hater

Likes (Received): 1219

wow awesome
hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #80
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

This looks great, needs more tall buildings though, and a vertical subway line. Otherwise I'm really looking forward to this developing.

Quote:
This whole project is a huge blanket, patched together by different Western architectural styles of the past 150 years, which made it an easy sell to the authorities, their craving to be in "Europe" (instead of accepting that they have nothing to do with Western Europe) is obvious.
I completely agree, the blatant attempt at looking European is one of the first things I noticed. It looks great, but at the same time they're completely pushing aside they're own culture to worship another.

Last edited by Ervin2; February 19th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baku