daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #81
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
Please check pictures of downtown Baku, see historical buildings of the end of 19- beginning of 20th centuries then come back and say whether it existed or not.
Baku's historic architecture is a lot more middle eastern than European, which makes complete geographical sense. Now they're ignoring it and building fake European architecture instead. How do you not see this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toca View Post
it will encourage young architechs or project planners to make better things.
All it's teaching them is that copying/faking = good, innovation = waste of time.

Also, why is it called the white city?

Last edited by Ervin2; February 19th, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #82
hater

Likes (Received): 1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin2 View Post
Baku's historic architecture is a lot more middle eastern than European, which makes complete geographical sense. Now they're ignoring it and building fake European architecture instead. How do you not see this?
You are wrong you should look at some pictures of Baku or visit Baku before saying that
hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #83
Ervin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hater View Post
You are wrong you should look at some pictures of Baku or visit Baku before saying that
I did, maybe you should take your own advice. At the very least it's very mixed, but certainly not European.

Last edited by Ervin2; February 19th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #84
hater

Quote:
I did, maybe you should take your own advice. At the very least it's very mixed, but certainly not European.
I lived most of my life in Baku
and Baku is filled with old European buildings
and I think Baku was designed by famous European architects
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #85
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

All it's teaching them is that copying/faking = good, innovation = waste of time.

And all the old buildings in Old Baku which they are refacing in sandstone are also being made to look very European. If a tourist visits Baku they want to see back, not a knock off Euro city, which is pretty much what White City is going to be, especially if you see the model they've made, it looks a lot like Paris.

Last edited by KiwiRob; February 19th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #86
KiwiRob
BANNED

Quote:
I lived most of my life in Baku
and Baku is filled with old European buildings
and I think Baku was designed by famous European architects
I think more Russian than European, look at the State Oprah and Ballet Theatre, a great Example of Russian architecture
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #87
KiwiRob
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt View Post

Every modern city in the world has its modern areas, Baku should also have its own.
Big difference between modern areas looking like modern areas with modern architecture, but why make new buildings looking like 17 & 18th century Paris, that's not modern at all. If tourists want to see Paris they will go to Paris, they won't fly to Baku, especially when they need to get a visa.
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #88
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
The area of the project was one of the centers of oil industry in Baku and called Black City due to pollution. Now, the old industrial zone is given a new chance, the polluted areas are being cleaned. So, old and polluted Black City will turn into new and clean White City.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #89
hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
And all the old buildings in Old Baku which they are refacing in sandstone are also being made to look very European. If a tourist visits Baku they want to see back, not a knock off Euro city, which is pretty much what White City is going to be, especially if you see the model they've made, it looks a lot like Paris.

Would you prefer to see 30 year old Soviet buildings or refurbished ones to look more European
And Paris Town is a small part of this huge project
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #90
KiwiRob
BANNED

I think I'd prefer to see Baku come up with it's own style rather than copying centuries old French style.
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #91
Ervin2

Quote:
Would you prefer to see 30 year old Soviet buildings or refurbished ones to look more European
And Paris Town is a small part of this huge project
What do old soviet buildings have to do with this?
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #92
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 707

Quote:
What do old soviet buildings have to do with this?
Because lots of buildings which have been built around the world look like soviet buildings and it seems nobody complains about this.
But when buildings are influenced by french architecture lots people are disegree whith this.
Lots of people ( especially on this forum ) hate french style and neo classic / old architecture.

Last edited by moustache; February 20th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #93
Ervin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post
Because lots of buildings which have been built around the world look like soviet buildings and it seems nobody complains about this.
But when buildings are influenced by french architecture lots people are disegree whith this.
Lots of people ( especially on this forum ) hate french style and neo classic / old architecture.
People do complain about old soviet architecture, what does that have to do with this thread at all?
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #94
hater

Quote:
People do complain about old soviet architecture, what does that have to do with this thread at all?
the guy was talking about old soviet building being refurbished thts all
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #95
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
Not everyone agrees with your opinion. I admire Baku for building in this type of architecture rather than the international style which many places are copying off each other and which offers no local identity and nothing to be proud about. One reason why I admire Baku so much is because it has actuallytaken a stride to build sustainably, using very good urbanism practices and great architecture that fits local needs and HISTORICAL local values.
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #96
hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post
Not everyone agrees with your opinion. I admire Baku for building in this type of architecture rather than the international style which many places are copying off each other and which offers no local identity and nothing to be proud about. One reason why I admire Baku so much is because it has actuallytaken a stride to build sustainably, using very good urbanism practices and great architecture that fits local needs and HISTORICAL local values.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #97
KiwiRob
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post
But why nick French style when there is a wealth of Middle Eastern styles which are far more appropriate for the region and culturally more significant.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #98
cSaints
Hey

Likes (Received): 21

they aren't making it all look like 18th century Paris, it's just a small district within a much larger development, if you actually looked properly at all the pictures instead of referring to just one or two of the pictures, you would notice there is a massive range of styles of architecture within this project.
cSaints no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #99
herzellaV

Likes (Received): 1

This is really stunning!
herzellaV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM   #100
hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSaints View Post
they aren't making it all look like 18th century Paris, it's just a small district within a much larger development, if you actually looked properly at all the pictures instead of referring to just one or two of the pictures, you would notice there is a massive range of styles of architecture within this project.
I've been trying to explain the same thing to him

Tags
baku