daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1
silvermb
smooth operator

Likes (Received): 6

MANNINGHAM > Doncaster Hill etc...

this one's been a long time coming, with a variety of projects

http://www.doncasterhill.com/index.htm

>> the biggest development site on offer

Eastern Golf Course on Track to Sell to China Based Developers

Written by Marc Pallisco
Tuesday, 13 July 2010 00:51

A CHINA-based developer is believed to be paying more than $100 million for what is the biggest development site put to the Melbourne market in recent years.

The offshore group is expected to be announced within weeks as the buyer of Doncaster’s massive 47 hectare Eastern Golf Course, about 15 kilometres east of town.

The 86-year old course is expected to be redeveloped into a $1 billion village of shops, offices, and apartments, after the club relocates to an as-yet-unbuilt development in about 2013.

Eastern Golf Club board members listed the Doncaster course for sale as a residential and commercial development site just over a year ago. Funds from the sale will pay for the development of a ritzy new golf course at Yering Gorge.

Representatives from Colliers International, the marketing agency, declined to comment on a deal when contacted by Capital Gain.

The Eastern Golf Course was the most valuable development site to hit the Melbourne market last year, with initial price expectations of just over $100 million.

Another major residential development site in Alphington – the outgoing, 17 hectare Amcor Fibre Packaging factory – was listed for sale just prior to the Eastern. The price expectation for the inner-city Alphington site was about $100 million.

Given the bleak economic backdrop last year, prospective buyers for major development sites of this scale were rare.

Negotiations to sell the properties – the Eastern to MAB Corporation, and the Amcor site to Walker Corporation – both fell over.

Melbourne’s biggest recent residential development site sale, measured by value, occurred in late 2007 when Sydney-based developer Mirvac agreed to pay Austral about $100 million for its outgoing 56 hectare brickworks property, spread across two suburbs : Scoresby and Wantirna South.

A sale of the Eastern Golf Course to offshore-based developers continues a trend this year.

Last month, Capital Gain reported another major eastern suburb site opposite Doncaster Shoppingtown sold to Asia-based builders for about $16 million.

The new owners are proposing a mixed use village of shops, offices and apartments, which would be consistent with principles established in the contentious Melbourne @ 5 Million planning document.

currently u/c

95 tram rd

the berkeley

12L pinnacle 90% sold

madison is u/c

due to start any time now, crowne plaza hotel

small fry for now but some towers should nudge 20 levels in the near future

manningham community hub due to start, by haskell architects

all being driven by local council, a refreshing change.

how about some decent PT?

Trend towering Doncaster Hill
24 Apr 10 manningham leader

A LEADING demographer has called the Doncaster Hill high-rise vision part of a “necessary densification of Melbourne”.

Bernard Salt believes Melbourne needs projects like Doncaster Hill to accommodate the escalating population and create “thriving hubs” outside the CBD.

Mr Salt said he supported the plan for intensive development on Doncaster Hill because it would bring “city sophistication” to Melbourne’s “traditionally bland suburban streets”.

“Projects like that proposed in Doncaster are transforming the suburbs and the way we live by creating mini-cities on the outskirts of the CBD,” Mr Salt said.

“This type of intensive development enhances urban life and creates an interesting and cosmopolitan city.”

He said building more houses on existing land near major shopping hubs and facilities like Westfield was an “efficient way” of delivering new housing opportunities, because the infrastructure was already in place.

“As people get older they won’t want to maintain a large sprawling property, so there will be an increasing demand for apartment-style living and to downsize,” Mr Salt said.

But the trend forecaster warned that public transport and roadways needed to be upgraded alongside residential development.

“In due course, the government will most likely look at upgrading the Eastern Freeway and the bus interchange to keep up with development,” Mr Salt said.

But developer Paul Huggins, from Momentum Melbourne Development, the company behind the Pinnacle development on Doncaster Rd, fears there may be an “oversupply” of apartments if developers did not work together.

“There are presently a lot of permits granted for apartments in Doncaster Hill, but not many are under construction yet. If they are all built at the same time the market may not be able to absorb the supply,” Mr Huggins said.

www.urbanmelbourne.info

Last edited by silvermb; July 13th, 2010 at 12:45 AM.
silvermb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 13th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 369

Construction on the Pinnacle should start any day now.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #3
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 426

Manningham Council is one of the few developments to object to a development based on underdevelopment.

they've done it a few times in the Doncaster Hill area. (YY)

They recognise they need to take there fair share of growth in Melbourne and have offered Doncaster HIll as the place to do that. its called 'planning' other Council's in Melbourne!
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Likes (Received): 322

I am glad to see it finally coming off the drawings boards. Was disappointing a few years ago when it kind of flopped and became a potential risk that it could have ended up as a ruined town centre. Glad that they are still pushing ahead to finish it.

I actually think the roads and the way how the buses travel down the main street need to be redesigned to encourage the new residents to use the buses over driving as a way to get around. At the moment, the frequency on Doncaster Road (and also Tram Road) is actually quite good with a bus every 7 minutes in some portions. I feel that it should be designed so that it is screamingly obvious that there is a bus route down the road with dedicated right of way like what central Melbourne has with its median strip tram lines.
Planks & Sticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

I just remembered that I made up a mock bus route map of Manningham during one of those times when I had *way* too much time on my hands. I remember having a debate a while ago about what would be a perfect bus network with someone else here, and the result was that it was quite difficult when I started to plot down the routes.

Probably far from perfect, but at least I made an attempt to see on how I could make it more efficient.

Dashed line on the freeway is a Freeway bus at 10 minutes frequency (5 minutes in peak) with its own right of way closer to the city.

Smart Bus services are to run as limited stops, hence the route overlap in those sections.

Every single bus route in the map except for the local granny pie carts are to run at minimum 10 minutes frequency.

Major bus route junctions are to have glorified bus stops and preferably in front of an existing store front rather than an isolated corner of a main road.

If it is workable (a BIG if), not all bus routes will go into Doncaster Shoppingtown bus station, as long the connections are available on the road itself, with the aim to make the main road buses keep to the main road without a small loop.

Probably a lot of unworkable things in the map, but at least I tried and got an understanding on how difficult it is to get it to *work* as efficiently as possibly. (and I am probably looking quite geeky as well...)

EDIT: I am aware that an exit ramp does not exist at Elgar Road, which was a mistake on me.

As for George Street bus route running through some houses, I was intended those houses to be demolished to make a "Main Street" for the new Doncaster Hill portion behind the shopping centre. A new bridge over Eastern Freeway from Balwyn Road also.

Last edited by Planks & Sticks; July 13th, 2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Max Patterson

Likes (Received): 2

actually its probably a good idea to have bus only on/off ramps onto the fwy...
Max Patterson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #7
John_Proctor

agree Max - that is the sort of bus priority that will make the buses more viable.

below is the link to the DART routes that are proposed to be upgraded to Smartbus Standard by the end of the year (or early next year... lets just say its likely to be finalised by a certain weekend event in November
http://www4.transport.vic.gov.au/vtp/pdfs/dart.pdf

the map doesn't show the existing orbital smartbus routes of which one (Red orbital 903)connects Box Hill to Doncaster and then onto Heidleberg/Preston/Coburg another one connects Nunawading to Doncaster and then onto Greensborough/Bundoora/Broadmeadows. The other cnonects Blackburn station up Blackburn Road to Reynolds Road and through to Greensborough/Epping/Roxburgh Park/Broadmeadows.

I think post DART upgrade 90% of Doncaster residents will be within 400m walk of a smartbus standard bus stop?
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #8
cjb287

Likes (Received): 34

Would it be accurate so suggest residents in the Manningham area will now have access to some of the best public transport in Melbourne? The DART proposal is in my view an appropriate substitute for a heavy rail service let alone a useless extension of a slow tram route. I would however advocate further bus priority treatment in the inner city parts of DART. Specifically outbound on Hoddle Street and tougher enforcement of the inbound bus lane.
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #9
L2
Needs an avatar

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Would it be accurate so suggest residents in the Manningham area will now have access to some of the best public transport in Melbourne?
But DART mainly just goes to the CBD/inner city except for the 1 route that goes past Westfield? It does do all that the rail line could though.

I see it is logical that they have decided there is no need for any PT in Manningham after 9pm on Sundays (including DART), but there is need for a midnight train to Wattle Glen and Hurstbridge on that night.

Last edited by L2; July 15th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #10
cjb287

It does effectively do what all the other radial rail lines in Melbourne do but DART fans out across the municipality. So rather than having to catch a local feeder bus to the nearest train station, a very large percentage of Manningham's population are now within reach of an express bus service direct into the CBD without changing modes.

You could also say they now have better access to cross town travel since the orbital smartbus routes intersect with the DART routes at multiple points rather than just one point for an entire area if it was a train line?

Last edited by cjb287; July 15th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #11
L2
Needs an avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb287 View Post
It does effectively do what all the other radial rail lines in Melbourne do but DART fans out across the municipality. So rather than having to catch a local feeder bus to the nearest train station, a very large percentage of Manningham's population are now within reach of an express bus service direct into the CBD without changing modes.
At least most of the radial lines take you via other destinations you could get out at along the way within the suburbs, like people use the Ringworm line to go to Box Hill from further beyond as an example.

Where does DART go? Apart from the one route via Westfield, they all pick you up in the suburbs then get on the freeway with no stops until Hoddle Street. I spotted a route 304 bus just after 2pm today entering the freeway at Middleborough Rd, it had 4 people on it.
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #12
cjb287

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
At least most of the radial lines take you via other destinations you could get out at along the way within the suburbs, like people use the Ringworm line to go to Box Hill from further beyond as an example.

Where does DART go? Apart from the one route via Westfield, they all pick you up in the suburbs then get on the freeway with no stops until Hoddle Street. I spotted a route 304 bus just after 2pm today entering the freeway at Middleborough Rd, it had 4 people on it.
A valid point indeed. I suppose that is why several people have suggested that if a heavy rail link were to be built in the future it should be tunneled through the suburbs adjacent to the freeway to take advantage of other trip generators besides Doncaster.

I still think in terms of CBD access the area will be better served than other parts of Melbourne though. Local trips are still viable with the DART/Smartbus intersections.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #13
soorox
メルボルン

Likes (Received): 206

God bless rich chinese developers (btw if there wasn't a large chinese population around doncaster this project would have never been announced or even planned)

A Crowne Plaza Hotel? Who would stay there? I'm just very curious...
soorox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #14
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb287 View Post

You could also say they now have better access to cross town travel since the orbital smartbus routes intersect with the DART routes at multiple points rather than just one point for an entire area if it was a train line?
I would love to have the DART going past my place and then onto the freeway, but alas, I am 2km down the road just where 307 turns off. Instead I have to make do with 207 or 48 which has a million traffic lights to overcome. Plus I am cheap, I am in zone 1/2 boundary, so no way I am going to backtrack into zone 2 just to wait at the Park and Ride for 307.

Hence why in my map above, while it is really unrealistic, is missing the DART and having a freeway express as one route with interchange points with the aim that everyone along the freeway has access to the express service and are also able to have better access to places like Box Choy, not just Doncaster.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #15
L2
Needs an avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorox View Post
A Crowne Plaza Hotel? Who would stay there? I'm just very curious...
So how do you think it differs to Novotel Century City Walk (Glen Waverley)?
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #16
nukegrove

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
So how do you think it differs to Novotel Century City Walk (Glen Waverley)?
OT:
I've been wondering about that for quite some time, there are 4 or so hotels in that area (Novotel Century City Walk, Hotel Ibis, Waverley International Hotel and Quest Serviced Apartment Hotel) which all adds up to around 500 rooms...
nukegrove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #17
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukegrove View Post
OT:
I've been wondering about that for quite some time, there are 4 or so hotels in that area (Novotel Century City Walk, Hotel Ibis, Waverley International Hotel and Quest Serviced Apartment Hotel) which all adds up to around 500 rooms...
That are is a major commercial precinct, with surrounding business parks in the area. It makes sense to have a acoomodation hub there.

We can only hope that Dandening takes off in the same way.

Another example of what could e considered strange is in Caroline Springs, where there is a Mecure Apartments open and also a new hotel going up now. It is about the nearby business market also, with added conference and events facilities to boost occupancy.

I think one of the next areas to see a hotel will e Footscray, if the planned office space goes ahead throughout the CAD there, along with any additional education facility growth. It being fairly close to the city also does not hurt in some ways, along with it being a gateway to the west. It will take time but I can see hotels going up there eventually.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #18
silvermb
smooth operator

berkeley

95 tram rd

madison next door

pinnacle also u/c

www.urbanmelbourne.info
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #19
silvermb
smooth operator

initial design for 812 elgar - terrible

thankfully a new design

behind it is the 10L 95 tram rd tower (which is u/c) and not shown next door is 10L madison - density coming to the burbs

tower crane about to appear for pinnacle apartments

www.urbanmelbourne.info
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #20
John_Proctor

if only Mannningham Council was the holder of somewhere like Camberwell/Box Hill et al on a train line.