daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #221
EMArg

Likes (Received): 30509

Quite interesting.
Argentina - Brazil - Chile - Colombia - Italy - Panama - Perú - Uruguay
Boston - New York City - California
EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #222
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
In 2013 there were 161 900 trips (not railway trips but in total) made by Latvians to Russia. And 332 600 trips made by Russians to Latvia. So I assume think that the most serious drop is not from Baltic states to Russia but instead from Russia to the Baltics.

And the main reason behind this are the exchange rates between the ruble and the euro. Because with the same amount of money now you can buy much less in Latvia than before. And also a bit of propaganda that Europe is uninviting and even hazardous for Russians.

It's actually quite sad - up until now during summers we had two trains per night to Moscow and both were 20 cars long which is the maximum that our stations allow.
Has demand increased between Baltic Nations?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #223
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I doubt it. I see no particular reason for it.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #224
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2897

The only passenger train between Latvia and Lithuania - the Vilnius to St. Petersburg - will be canceled in May.

From 1st of February there is only 1 daily train, instead of 3, between Latvia and Estonia.

Obviously, demand hasn't increased.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #225
Sunfuns

I meant the overall demand and traffic not just rail traffic.
Old April 26th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #226
BriedisUnIzlietne

Well, it probably hasn't increased either
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #227
Eiropro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3282

I think there is still enough passenger for wise train Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius-Minsk route with reasonable times, some sitting cars (not only sleepers). Maybe such train could go on Fridays and Weekends. There are like 18 buses per day to Tallinn and like 7+flights.

If the train would be a little bit cheaper than bus with the same speed - it would be popular. Keep in mind there are 10+ buse from Riga to Vilnius, all 3 capitals have some flow to Minsk, especially from Riga and Vilnius.

The route could connect such cool cities like Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Minsk but also Tartu, Valga, Valmiera, Cēsis, Sigulda, Jelgava, Šiauliai, Radviliškis, Jonava, maybe a little detour to Kaunas, Maladziečna.

Unfortunately nobody cares - even Riga - Tallinn doesn't exist atm.

Bus ticket costs 16 EUR+ one way, airplane 62 EUR+ (more like 120 EUR is real). The bus takes 4:30h, the airplane 0:50h flight + at least 40 min to get to airport in Riga and 20 min in Tallinn + luggage 20 min + you have to be in the airport at least 1 hours before flight (registration clothes 40 min before flight), so it is 3 hours minimum, more like 4 hours with all safety checks, traffic jam alert etc.

So I think flying from Riga to Tallinn or Vilnius makes no sense, I better use car and save money Even if I go alone it is still cheaper by car. 700 km like 45 litres like a little bit more than 50 EUR. Return 3,5 hours (almost like airplane).
Eiropro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #228
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiropro View Post
So I think flying from Riga to Tallinn or Vilnius makes no sense, I better use car and save money Even if I go alone it is still cheaper by car. 700 km like 45 litres like a little bit more than 50 EUR. Return 3,5 hours (almost like airplane).
That's only if you live in one of those cities and own a car. Otherwise the calculation is different...

Eiropro liked this post
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #229
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiropro View Post
I think there is still enough passenger for wise train Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius-Minsk route with reasonable times, some sitting cars (not only sleepers). Maybe such train could go on Fridays and Weekends. There are like 18 buses per day to Tallinn and like 7+flights.

If the train would be a little bit cheaper than bus with the same speed - it would be popular. Keep in mind there are 10+ buse from Riga to Vilnius, all 3 capitals have some flow to Minsk, especially from Riga and Vilnius.
Tallinn-Riga by rail is around 50% longer than by road which makes it difficult to cover the distance in the same time as the bus does - it requires a good infrastructure. The section between Tapa and Tartu is largely under reconstruction during 2015-2017 but this means that in 2018 it will (probably) allow speeds of 135-140 km/h.

Cost is still a problem. Trains have to pay infrastrucuture fees which buses don't. Since the distance is also 50% longer, it's very hard to compete in terms of prices.

A lot of people use the Tallinn-Riga flight to reach Riga airport not Riga itself which means that the airplane is always a better choice for them.

Eiropro liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #230
Eiropro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Tallinn-Riga by rail is around 50% longer than by road which makes it difficult to cover the distance in the same time as the bus does - it requires a good infrastructure. The section between Tapa and Tartu is largely under reconstruction during 2015-2017 but this means that in 2018 it will (probably) allow speeds of 135-140 km/h.

Cost is still a problem. Trains have to pay infrastrucuture fees which buses don't. Since the distance is also 50% longer, it's very hard to compete in terms of prices.

A lot of people use the Tallinn-Riga flight to reach Riga airport not Riga itself which means that the airplane is always a better choice for them.
we know this is political project and for me it would be fine to subsidize 3 trains per week. diesel trains pay taxes for diesel which goes for repairing roads. nice.
Eiropro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #231
BriedisUnIzlietne

Cesvaine - where a train stops only 6 times a year...

Photos taken by me.

In the news: from 1st of June PV will reinstate daily passenger train Dobele-Rīga-Dobele which is the first increase in services in the regions for a long time. It will be an express with stops only in Jelgava and Olaine. Dobele will have a Park and Ride system installed to attract more passengers to the reinstated train service.

dimlys1994, pai nosso, 8166UY, SvMp liked this post
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #232
BriedisUnIzlietne

Art station Dubulti

After reconstruction Dubulti station building has become not only a station, but also a contemporary art gallery. It's said to be the first contemporary art gallery in an operating railway station in Europe. They've made it in what was the waiting room - nowadays people tend to come to the station right before the departure so there is no need for so large waiting rooms. The waiting room will still have a ticket office.

Another reason, I suspect, why they've done it, is to reduce costs - after the 100% European funded reconstruction, LDz has given the station building to Jūrmala city so now they will be the ones paying for the upkeep of the loss-making building.

The platforms of Dubulti station will be reconstructed later this year.

All pictures from the media - lsm.lv, apollo.lv and la.lv

I'm not a fan on contemporary art...
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #233
BriedisUnIzlietne

Reconstructed Cēsis station has opened

On the 10th of June LDz unveiled the reconstructed Cēsis station which has been turned into a multifunctional center with bus station, post office and Narvesen store. But, for now, there is no train ticket office though they have left space for two ticket booths. Maybe they just haven't done them yet, or maybe PV doesn't want to have a ticket office at a station with just 4 trains per day. Who knows?

LDz have reconstructed both platforms to 550mm.

Soon the municipality will also reconstruct the station square.

You can see the place for two railway ticket booths on the right

Seems that the locals like to use the new platforms as a place for leisure. Because when I took the photo, there was not going to be any train for 5 more hours.

Pictures taken by me on the day of opening a couple of hours after the opening ceremony

Anticalaca, AlexisMD liked this post

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; June 12th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #234
BriedisUnIzlietne

PV now provides coffee on EMUs

Picture from Twitter

Pasažieru vilciens have started equipping commuter trains with coffee machines. Until now, coffee was available only on long distance DMUs in comfort class.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #235
BriedisUnIzlietne

A video I shot at Cēsis station of a very interesting piece of machinery - a motorized platform car

Old June 12th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #236
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post

Picture from Twitter

Pasažieru vilciens have started equipping commuter trains with coffee machines. Until now, coffee was available only on long distance DMUs in comfort class.
you've changed the photo
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #237
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
you've changed the photo
At first I put the official photo but realized that it's too large so I changed it with one from Twitter.
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #238
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

never seen that in spain
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #239
BriedisUnIzlietne

Here's two more photos of the coffee machines if you don't believe