daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #241
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Here's two more photos of the coffee machines if you don't believe

i did believed
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #242
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transira View Post
Riga - Valga, does exist direct train?
Yes

Transira liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #243
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

the trains go very slow ( 54 km/H )
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #244
BriedisUnIzlietne

Yes, because:
1) they stop in places like this

2) tracks are still being reconstructed (will be completed by end of 2015)
3) trains are old
4) schedule is very loose

Near Rīga the average speed is 80 for expresses.

Average speed for Valka - Rīga buses is 56 km/h (fastest), 44 km/h (slowest)

dimlys1994, Transira liked this post
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #245
BriedisUnIzlietne

Bolderāja railway construction works 09.06.2015.

New railway viaduct over Daugavgrīvas šoseja on U/C railway line Bolderāja-2 - Krievu sala

U/C railway line Bolderāja-2 - Krievu sala

Construction of station Bolderāja-2

View towards Bolderāja-1. That station has been expanded from 5 to 10 tracks and a service road has been built

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #246
BriedisUnIzlietne

Enthusiasts are hard at work slowly but steadily repairing Baloži peat bog railway. Once repaired, it will open as a museum railway.

Pictures of the lastest work done from http://www.bdklubs.lv/index.php/lv/a...v2#prettyPhoto

I think I have also forgotten to mention that steam locomotive Ferdinands is now operating regular services on Gulbene-Alūksne narrow gauge railway. Twice a month on Saturdays.

Picture from parovoz.com

abhijeetm29 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #247
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Any plans for speed upgrades to at least 160kph?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #248
Transira
Trolleyman

Likes (Received): 99

Riga - Valga 12:25 - 16:43

Valga - Tallinn 16:52 - 20:09

The train to Tallinn waits in Valga to the train from Riga?

It is possible to shop the ticket Riga - Tallinn from Riga railway station? In Valga to time to shop the ticket Valga - Tallinn from Valga railway station.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM   #249
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Any plans for speed upgrades to at least 160kph?
None... Probably because current trains can only achieve 120, but progress with buying new passenger trains constantly faces problems. Recently the minister of traffic still made naive claims that we will have new trains already in 2016 with persons being held responsible if not. But that's not possible if a tender will be held only in around August. (And they still don't know where to get the money for new trains).

If they wouldn't use this cheap populism, they should issue the tender in 2016 and try to get European funding. And then the trains would enter service with the conversion to AC electrification sometime around 2019.

In any case, upgrades to 160 are quite expensive - you need fences all the way and resignalling. Trains which utilize the existing 120 km/h maxspeed would already be good. Because currently in the whole country there are only 20 train services per week that are scheduled to have a cruising speed higher than 90 km/h - the expresses to/from Liepāja (1 per week), Rēzekne (2 per week) and Daugavpils (daily)
Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:55 PM   #250
BriedisUnIzlietne

8 new international sleeper cars

From July 8 new sleeper cars (two and four bed compartment cars) will enter service on route Rīga - Moscow. The new passenger cars will have transformable beds to make the compartments feel roomier. They will also include modern multimedia systems, electronic doors. SV type cars for the first time will have showers.

Two bed compartment in sleeping arrangement

Four bed compartment in sitting arrangement

From http://l-ekspresis.lv

jonasry, balex1 liked this post

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; June 22nd, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #251
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 772

Quote:
In any case, upgrades to 160 are quite expensive - you need fences all the way
Really?
I'm not aware of any other country, where 160km/h-lines need to be fenced off.

In many countries (like Austria, for example) not even 200 km/h lines require fences.
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:43 PM   #252
BriedisUnIzlietne

Oh... maybe so. I just thought that because I heard of something regarding the Russian Lastochka trains. Then nevermind.

BTW, if I understand correctly, then the electrification will be planned to allow for upgrade to 160 km/h.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:21 AM   #253
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

160 is abit slow , should be at least 220...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:54 PM   #254
BriedisUnIzlietne

It is very slow... Our trains are so slow that we will call the 240 km/h Rail Baltica II a high-speed railway...

Although I would like to see 220 km/h trains on our regular lines, it's hard to imagine that it would be feasible - all the other cities outside Rīga have population of under 90 000.

The most optimistic scenario that I would like to see would be 160 km/h on parts Rīga-Ogre, Rīga-Jelgava and Rīga-Jūrmala. But it's just a dream of mine.

I'm not sure if they are going to do that, but there was some second phase of project Rail Baltica I to upgrade the existing Šauliai-Jelgava-Rīga-Valga railway to 160.
But I'm told they will not do that.

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; June 23rd, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #255
havelock

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Riga - Valga 12:25 - 16:43

Valga - Tallinn 16:52 - 20:09

The train to Tallinn waits in Valga to the train from Riga?

It is possible to shop the ticket Riga - Tallinn from Riga railway station? In Valga to time to shop the ticket Valga - Tallinn from Valga railway station.
1. Yes, it does wait for the connection, but since this winter the effective connection is only on weekends AFAIR, on the other days there's a bus service covering several of last stations on Latvian side (because it's not financially feasible to run a train there on those days, since it usually has about 5 passengers) - you should check the schedule on http://www.pv.lv/en/ to see if it will work for you on the day of your travel.

2. No, those are two different services by two different companies from two different countries and it's good that they cooperate at least as much as to establishing the railway connection in the first place

About the Estonian part, you should buy the Valga-Tallinn ticket going from Valga in the train proper for no additional fees (there's an option to buy the ticket online on elron.ee website, but when I took the connection myself last year it was accepting only Estonian internet banks as payment methods, so it wasn't really an option from abroad). If you go in the opposite direction you have the same options + I guess you can buy a ticket at the Tallinn station.

About the Latvian part, there's no option to buy a ticket online (there's http://v2.mobilly.lv/lv/ but I think you can only buy tickets for Riga's suburban EMUs there, moreover it's a text message service that might not work if you don't have a local mobile network w/o roaming). If you go from Riga to Valga you should buy a ticket in the ticket office, as you'll pay €0.50 extra for buying it from an inspector on the train. But you don't pay any additional fees if you purchase a ticket from the inspector in the train if you enter it on a station that doesn't have a ticket office - Valga station, located in another country in the first place, qualifies for that too, I think; other Latvian users, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Transira liked this post
havelock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #256
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelock View Post
About the Estonian part, you should buy the Valga-Tallinn ticket going from Valga in the train proper for no additional fees (there's an option to buy the ticket online on elron.ee website, but when I took the connection myself last year it was accepting only Estonian internet banks as payment methods, so it wasn't really an option from abroad). If you go in the opposite direction you have the same options + I guess you can buy a ticket at the Tallinn station.
Now you can pay by credit card as well So if you want, you can buy a ticket online. 1st class tickets are 30% more expensive than 2nd class tickets but you get a reserved seat and the seats in 2nd class are rubbish so I'd personally recommend 1st class for that distance
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #257
havelock

Likes (Received): 307

That's good to hear as I actually plan on visiting Tartu and Tallinn soon and move between them on a train.

Quote:
the seats in 2nd class are rubbish so I'd personally recommend 1st class for that distance
I had travelled in 1st class last time, but, well, I figure that even 2nd class on your trains is much better than 4.5 hours in our DR1A
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #258
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
None... Probably because current trains can only achieve 120, but progress with buying new passenger trains constantly faces problems. Recently the minister of traffic still made naive claims that we will have new trains already in 2016 with persons being held responsible if not. But that's not possible if a tender will be held only in around August. (And they still don't know where to get the money for new trains).

If they wouldn't use this cheap populism, they should issue the tender in 2016 and try to get European funding. And then the trains would enter service with the conversion to AC electrification sometime around 2019.

In any case, upgrades to 160 are quite expensive - you need fences all the way and resignalling. Trains which utilize the existing 120 km/h maxspeed would already be good. Because currently in the whole country there are only 20 train services per week that are scheduled to have a cruising speed higher than 90 km/h - the expresses to/from Liepāja (1 per week), Rēzekne (2 per week) and Daugavpils (daily)
About 160km/h, the existing signalling system might be problem indeed. Firstly the braking distances are something that need to be examined. In theory, new trains should be capable to stop within the block but I am not sure in it. The second problem is existing axle counters that might give error if a train goes that fast.

But 140km/h should be very realistic. The renovated track should be ready for even 160km/h, if geometry permits then 140km/h shouldn't be problem for signalling either.

About fencing yes in Europe lot's of 160km/h lines doesn't have fencing. In Russia the situation is different. There people are used to cross the rail tracks in every kind of places, it is better to have fences.

About new trains, about 30 minutes were cut off from Tallinn - Tartu stopping service. It took about 3hrs from Tartu to Tallinn 187km making 16 stops with old DR trains, new trains can cover the same in 2hrs and 30mins

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #259
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtManDoo View Post
About fencing yes in Europe lot's of 160km/h lines doesn't have fencing. In Russia the situation is different. There people are used to cross the rail tracks in every kind of places, it is better to have fences.
We also have people walking all over the place...
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #260
Paulo Magalhães

Likes (Received): 583

Quote:
Bolderāja railway construction works 09.06.2015.

New railway viaduct over Daugavgrīvas šoseja on U/C railway line Bolderāja-2 - Krievu sala

U/C railway line Bolderāja-2 - Krievu sala

Construction of station Bolderāja-2

View towards Bolderāja-1. That station has been expanded from 5 to 10 tracks and a service road has been built
Sand sub-ballast?
Its for preventing clay pumping from terrain?

Tags
latvian railways