daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:19 PM   #281
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2897

2015 ended with good freight amounts

Despite Russia's (on which our railway is very dependent) economical problems, Latvian Railways finished 2015 with good results – 55.6 million tons of freight have been transported, which only a 2.4 percent drop (a 20% drop had been predicted) from 2014.

Railway freight export through ports dropped 37% to 2.8 million tons.
Domestic freight amounts have grown 33% to 1.6 million tons

http://ldz.lv/lv/ldz-nosl%C4%93dz-ga...%ABt%C4%81jiem

Liepāja station modernization complete

The 24.4 million euro (18.7 million EU funding) project for modernization and expansion of Liepāja station (for freight, not for passengers) has been completed. To meet the deadlines, construction took only 7 months, which is twice as fast as usual.

The project mainly consisted of signalling upgrades and track renewal. An important thing is that the station's main tracks were extended from the substandard 40(if I'm correct) to the standard 57 car length. The project included also the construction of 2 extra tracks at 3 track wide Liepāja station Northern park. The expansion is fairly odd given that the Northern park railway was built only in 2008. But already in 2012 it had reached capacity so extra tracks were needed.

I'm not sure thought what the future holds with the 2015 decrease of freight through ports.

http://ldz.lv/lv/%E2%80%9Clatvijas-d...cijas-projektu

Ticket price zones will be reinstated

Pasažieru vilciens announced that in April they will introduce ticket price zones on suburban electric train network. Such zones had existed in the Soviet era, but were abandoned after Latvia's independence was reinstated.

Electric train lines will have 3 or 5 zones, depending on the distance of the line.

PV claim that this is a step towards introduction of ticket machines and train services that run through Rīga. (Currently all trains in Latvia without exception terminate in Rīga Central station).

http://www.lsm.lv/lv/raksts/latvija/zinas/vilciena-bilesu-cenas-no-aprila-plano-noteikt-pa-zonam-ne-katrai-pieturai-atseviski.a164857/

Jermolov, dimlys1994, havelock, Marky1999 liked this post

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; January 23rd, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #282
Oplot-M
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5592

М62

http://trainphoto.org.ua/view/15312/
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:36 PM   #283
BriedisUnIzlietne

Zone system introduced

Starting today PV has introduced a new ticket zone system on all electric train routes and to Sigulda. Up until now the ticket price depended on the exact distance between stations, but there had been a ticket zone system for electric trains some 30 years ago.

Now there are 5 ticket zones and two special types of tickets (so-called intermediate zones).

Ticket price depends in how many zones you travel, but the overall price has dropped for most destinations, which would help attracting new passengers:
1 zone – 0,80 eur
2 zones – 1,40 eur
3 zones – 1,90 eur
4 zones – 2,40 eur
5 zones – 2,90 eur

Intermediate zones make it cheaper to travel 2 zones when not going all the way from the furthest stations in both zones. It does make the system more complicated though. Anyways... there are countryside intermediate zones where tickets cost 0,90 eur and there are Rīga commuter intermediate zones where tickets cost 1,00 eur.

There is a map, but it's in Latvian

With this change there are also 3 and 4 day tickets introduced. In the coming months online ticketing and ticket machines will also be introduced, relieving the need for many ticket offices.

PV has also new and upgraded website.

http://www.pv.lv/lv/zonas/

In other news:

* LDz will invest a million euros in upgrading Garkalne station for NATO needs. This will include new tracks and loading ramp.
http://ldz.lv/lv/nato-sp%C4%93ku-int...BCu%E2%80%9D-0
Old April 5th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #284
BriedisUnIzlietne

2M62UM modernized cargo locomotive on first tests
Only chassis and bogies remain from the old locomotive.

http://parovoz.com/newgallery/pg_vie...LNG=EN#picture
Old April 6th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #285
nastyaheyyo

Likes (Received): 6

About ER2, well I wouldn't say that ER2T was produced 1987-2003, cuz in the 1990ties RVR didn't produce anything. ER2T production was more like restarted in 2003 with the new head-car design and if I remember correctly then the last ER2T produced in 1988 was even the last EMU in the soviet union
nastyaheyyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #286
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyaheyyo View Post
About ER2, well I wouldn't say that ER2T was produced 1987-2003, cuz in the 1990ties RVR didn't produce anything. ER2T production was more like restarted in 2003 with the new head-car design and if I remember correctly then the last ER2T produced in 1988 was even the last EMU in the soviet union
No, there were a number of ER2T trains built right up to 2003. Just check the table on Wikipedia Russian article https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%AD%D0%A02%D0%A2

Production was low in the 90ies, but it's the same story today. From 2000 until now only 2 ER2T trains, 17 DR1B trains and a light metro have been built at the factory... Mostly it's been just reconstruction of old trains and metalworking side jobs, I guess.
Old May 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #287
BriedisUnIzlietne

Modernized DMUs finally enter service

Yesterday Rīga–Sigulda saw the first service of the modernized DR1AC DMU sets.

For the first time in history, air conditioning is available on Pasažieru vilciens trains. The trains are also suited for people with disabilities, though they need to use a ramp, because the trains are still high floor.

Doors with a ramp for the disabled.
All pictures above are by me. All below are from db.lv

standard class

1st class

In other news:

Latvian Railways is celebrating it's 155th anniversary
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:09 PM   #288
BriedisUnIzlietne

The first modernized 2M62UM locomotive unveiled
During yesterday's Railway parade, among other new or modernized railway vehicles, the first of the 2M62UMs were presented. The modernized locomotives are basically brand new with only the old chassis remaining. Power has been increased from 4000 to 6000hp, making this the most powerful locomotive in Latvia.

The full Railway parade picture gallery

In other news:
Today on Museum night will be the first time that Baloži heritage peat railway opens to visitors
Old July 23rd, 2016, 12:46 PM   #289
BriedisUnIzlietne

The architectural competition for Rīga central station reconstruction has begun
Results should be known in about 4 months time

Aecom visualization – not what the station will actually look like

The project will include the station's transformation into a multi-modal hub. New bus station underneath the existing embankment, better accessibility, roof or canopies, 2 Rail Baltica international platforms and 1 airport shuttle service platform, bicycle parking, kiss&ride, etc. To make room for Rail Baltica, the ugly multi-storey carpark on Prāgas street will be removed. Timofeja and Elizabetes streets will be connected. The existing railway embankment will be replaced with a viaduct to remove the physical barrier that the railway currently creates. A new standard gauge double-track railway bridge will be built next to the existing broad gauge one. This new bridge will also include a pedestrian and cycle track that will for the first time since WWII again allow people to cross the river at the end of 13. janvāra street.

The new airport shuttle train would initially run 4 times per hour, just like the current airport bus, but the travel time would decrease from 25 minutes (31 minute during rush hour) to just 12 minutes.

Other news:
  • By the end of 2016 the first freight train service between China and Latvia will be tried out. LDz hopes that regular service will follow
  • Salacgrīva vs Natura 2000 – a dispute over the Rail Baltica route
  • A daily express service has been introduced in the Cēsis direction
  • Rīga – Madona service officially reduced to just 2 trains per week
Old July 23rd, 2016, 05:52 PM   #290
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

How many platforms will there be in total after this reconstruction? All of them higher than currently, I hope. Actually I have forgotten how many platforms are there now...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #291
BriedisUnIzlietne

Note: by platforms I mean tracks

Platform number won't really change. If anything, there will be less platforms (currently there are 9 platforms + 1 that is unused). All platforms should be high platforms.

For broad gauge trains there will be 8 platforms in regular use:
2 eastbound bay (dead-end) platforms – the same which are currently used by Sigulda trains;
6 regular platforms.

Additionally there will be 1 fenced off platform which can be used during disruptions (normally used by Pārdaugava-bound freight trains)

For standard gauge trains there will be 3 platforms:
2 regular platforms for international trains;
1 westbound bay (dead-end) platform for airport shuttle train.

PS
Vagonu parks will also see a reduction of the number of broad gauge tracks. Currently it's the only triple track railway section in Latvia, but the southern side tracks will be converted to standard gauge, leaving only 2 for broad gauge trains.

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; July 24th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 9th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #292
BriedisUnIzlietne

Rail Baltica railway route in Latvia approved by government
(except for Salacgrīva)

Today the Latvian government approved the final version of Rail Baltica route in Latvia. With the notable exception of Salacgrīva, where residents want to choose a route further from the town (C5 alternative) – the route would cross Natura 2000 territory, so this part needs an approval from the European Commission.

The RB route in Latvia will in many parts use "combined transport corridors" where to minimize disruption to land owners the railway will be built in parallel to other infrastructure like highways or high-voltage power lines. 6km of RB will be built on the dismantled Rīga-Ipiķi-Tallinn railway. The amount of private properties that the line would cross has been reduced from 2000 to 800. The total length of Rail Baltica in Latvia will be 263 km.

http://www.db.lv/razosana/transports...a-trase-452674

A video of the route:
http://www.delfi.lv/bizness/transpor....d?id=47770825

8166UY, dimlys1994, pai nosso, Swede liked this post
Old August 11th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #293
BriedisUnIzlietne

Hydrogen power coming to Latvian Railways

Today Latvian Railways, CZ Loko and Ballard Power Systems signed a memorandum of understanding to create a hydrogen powered shunter locomotive on the base of the old ČME3 locomotives.

These hydrogen locomotives would eliminate engine emissions, reduce noise and vibrations. They would be built in Latvia.

http://ldz.lv/lv/latvij%C4%81-pl%C4%...komot%C4%ABves

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #294
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5959

Did I get it right that the corridor in Riga will not include the short cut tunnel?

And this useless fairly insane NIMBY bump all around Jaunmarupe which was in the media some time ago. It appears to me that they reached some compromise which will result in around 5 km additional unnecessary track length, using a longer alignment with the main ring road. This is at the cost of a more direct corridor through this allmost unsettled area where it should have been built inititally. So the dear people of Marupe managed to move the rail closer to the centre of Jaunmarupe than before. Well done I would say. Nonetheless, the apparent choice still looks somewhat reasonable and has probably the advantage of much easier and possibly also cheaper land acquisition.

But I am just nitpicking. Great news that they nailed down the corridor for Rail Baltica. Forgive me for asking again, to which speed standard will the new corridor be built? Is this already decided and fixated.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; August 14th, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #295
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Did I get it right that the corridor in Riga will not include the short cut tunnel?
It seems that this approval was only for the main route and not yet about the Rīga loop.

But yes, they NIMBYd the shortcut tunnel out. It's not a big loss as it would cut less than a minute of journey time. I'm curious though as to how they will construct this current alternative – there is room for only 2 tracks (that's why they're building the tunnel in the first place), but existing train traffic cannot be stopped while they're building the new tunnel underneath the old tracks...

Quote:
And this useless fairly insane NIMBY bump all around Jaunmarupe which was in the media some time ago. It appears to me that they reached some compromise which will result in around 5 km additional unnecessary track length, using a longer alignment with the main ring road.
For me it seems that it's just 1,5km longer. Or about a minute of extra journey time. So, again, not that big of a deal

Quote:
Forgive me for asking again, to which speed standard will the new corridor be built? Is this already decided and fixated.
Seems that, sadly for passenger traffic, it will be just 240 km/h. Not exactly something I would want in a 21st century railway, but I guess we are just too underpopulated for a true HSR to be feasible. They're mostly hoping on freight.

And this is the Tallinn - Kaunas past. I don't think anybody knows what will happen with the Kaunas - Warsaw part. The current "Rail Baltica" train from Kaunas to Bialystok does 30km/h(!) for a quarter of the trip in Poland. The recently opened Lithuanian Potyomkin Rail Baltica also has flaws – in 2016 it doesn't have interlocking, has manual(!) junctions and, due to lack of signalling, uncontrolled level crossings where trains have to reduce speed. The cost of adding this signalling would be 107 million euro. Besides that, it's only made for 120 km/h and they would need to electrify and double track this new line. The alternative is to build a completely new 240 km/h line to replace this Potyomkin line, but it would still most probably end at the Polish border with no logical continuation
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #296
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
It seems that this approval was only for the main route and not yet about the Rīga loop.

But yes, they NIMBYd the shortcut tunnel out. It's not a big loss as it would cut less than a minute of journey time. I'm curious though as to how they will construct this current alternative – there is room for only 2 tracks (that's why they're building the tunnel in the first place), but existing train traffic cannot be stopped while they're building the new tunnel underneath the old tracks...

For me it seems that it's just 1,5km longer. Or about a minute of extra journey time. So, again, not that big of a deal
Well, the way it looks on the map, its not a huge deal, agreed. And you are right, I overestimated distances there. I had a look at it on google eart and it does look more like 1.5 to 2 km indeed. The original NIMBY proposal would have been a considerably larger and almost comical detour however.

Quote:
Seems that, sadly for passenger traffic, it will be just 240 km/h. Not exactly something I would want in a 21st century railway, but I guess we are just too underpopulated for a true HSR to be feasible. They're mostly hoping on freight.
To be honest though, 240 km/h sounds fair. And more wouldn't make sense for a mixed rail/passenger track anyway. It is the best one could justify given the overall situation. Now it would be important that they hold true to this standard and truly realize a 240 km/h passanger rail service.

Quote:
And this is the Tallinn - Kaunas past. I don't think anybody knows what will happen with the Kaunas - Warsaw part. The current "Rail Baltica" train from Kaunas to Bialystok does 30km/h(!) for a quarter of the trip in Poland. The recently opened Lithuanian Potyomkin Rail Baltica also has flaws – in 2016 it doesn't have interlocking, has manual(!) junctions and, due to lack of signalling, uncontrolled level crossings where trains have to reduce speed. The cost of adding this signalling would be 107 million euro. Besides that, it's only made for 120 km/h and they would need to electrify and double track this new line. The alternative is to build a completely new 240 km/h line to replace this Potyomkin line, but it would still most probably end at the Polish border with no logical continuation
I think, for the time being it is the most important thing to get the Kaunas-Tallin part right (240 km/h, double track, electrified).

This "Rail Baltica I" might do fine for freight rail but it is a joke for passanger rail, let alone rapid passenger rail. But constructing a serious passenger rail corridor would only make sense if it is done in a cross border project with Poland. The Polish government is currently too busy with abolishing democracy in the country and finding foreign enemies though, so I don't have big hopes that they could find the time and motivation to finance and build a proper cross-border high speed rail link between Warsaw and Kaunas.

SIMSI, Anticalaca liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #297
BriedisUnIzlietne

Latvian Rail news

So, it's been a while (3 months) since I or other members have posted anything regarding railways in Latvia so you have probably been anxiously waiting for a post from your 'mostest favorite country in the universe'

And indeed some stuff has happened

1) It's snowing

photo from ldz.lv

2) The China – Latvia container pilot train has arrived

photo from ldz.lv

In less than 4 months from the initial agreement a pilot train has been launched from Yiwu and 11 000 km later arrived in Rīga, carrying textiles, bathroom equipment and household goods.

Due to the great interest in this route among the clients, Latvian Railway plans to organize a regular monthly container train in route Yiwu-Riga. The next two trains are already scheduled.

http://ldz.lv/en/first-pilot-contain...iwu-city-china

3) The updated electrification plans have been unveiled

Cropped part of LDz's poster

The project would convert the existing DC network to AC and expand it from 257 km to 839 km or 59% of the network, for the first time in the country's history allowing also freight to be transported with electric trains. The plans include electrification of the international connection to Belarus.

The project would cost 1,3 billion Euros with 0,3 billion being financed by the EU. It is split up in phases:

Phase 1 (2019–2023)
Brand new AC electrification on route Rēzekne – Krustpils – Jelgava – Tukums – Ventspils and Daugavpils – Krustpils, creating a system completely separate from the existing DC network which would meet the new system in Jelgava and Tukums. This phase would be co-financed by the EU.
Phase 2 (2020–2025)
Brand new AC electrification on route Belarus – Indra – Daugavpils and Krustpils – Aizkraukle as well as the first DC to AC conversion on part Aizkraukle – Šķirotava. This would allow electric freight trains from Belarus to use the then completed 1435mm Rail Baltica freight terminal in Salaspils.
Phase 3 (2025–2030)
Conversion of the remaining DC network to AC
From 2023 onward LDz plans to use a "green transportation corridor" principle on route Jelgava – Liepāja. They don't specify, what that means, but apparently it's not electrification or otherwise it would be labeled as that. My guess is that they plan to use more eco-friendly locomotives on that route. Perhaps hydrogen or LNG?

Full poster (in Latvian)
Source (in Latvian)

4) RIX airport station design competition to start soon

The new 1435mm Rail Baltica railway will go through the Rīga International airport and a station will be built. This station will need to accommodate both international services and a shuttle service to Rīga central station that will run every 15 minutes. It will be on the same level as the new airport terminal that will be fully completed by 2022.

Soon a design competition will be announced. The competition will be split up into two parts. First the architectural part and then the more technical part. Winning project should be known by mid-2017.

Source (in Latvian)

5) The first traffic light controlled pedestrian railway crossing

Photo from ldz.lv

On the 27th of October in Sigulda LDz opened the first traffic light controlled pedestrian railway crossing in Latvia. It features both lights and a sound, but no barrier. If it proves successful, they will be installed also on other crossings on the network.

Source (in Latvian)

6) Finally you can buy train tickets online!

Although it was possible to buy electronic tickets through Mobilly, since 8th of September it is finally possible to buy tickets online directly through pv.lv.

Please don't quote the entire post if you write a reply
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #298
Slartibartfas

What is the reasoning behind the chance in system from DC to AC?
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #299
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Can some one who knows publish a list of the existing international trains to and from the baltics ? To Poland, Minsk, Moscow, St Pet, Others ?

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #300
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
What is the reasoning behind the chance in system from DC to AC?
Because it's a better system and would be the same as in Lithuania and Belarus, allowing for future connections to those countries.

Given that we have to change all the EMU stock, this is probably the only real chance to change it.

Also, they want to use a combined substation in Rīga, which would be both for Rail Baltica 1435mm railway and our 1520mm railway instead of two separate.

Tags
latvian railways