daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #301
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Looking at that schedule it looks like you're stuck riding the old ER2 trains until 2025? Or is there a plan to buy dual-voltage trains?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #302
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2897

Thankfully, not that long, but still quite some time..

For the past half year PV, LDz and the government have been thinking on what to do with the financing. It's really hard for me to understand this bureaucracy, but apparently the state will change the infrastructure financing model by paying for infrastructure use directly from the ministry and not through PV. Otherwise due to some EU regulations the PV loan for new train purchase might count as an increase of state debt which we can't do.

On Monday PV released their schedule:
2017 – the new financing model
2018 – depot reconstruction
2019 – 6 new EMUs
2020 – 12 new EMUs
2021 – 14 new EMUs

I guess this means that all have to be dual mode

http://leta.lv/home/important/4459C5...-2C618C8C0F58/

Rebasepoiss liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #303
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Can some one who knows publish a list of the existing international trains to and from the baltics ? To Poland, Minsk, Moscow, St Pet, Others ?

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
Tallinn – St. Petersburg – Moscow
night train, daily

Rīga – Novosokol – St. Petersburg
night train, daily

Rīga – Novosokol – Moscow
night train, daily

Rīga – Minsk
night train, every 2 days

Vilnius – Minsk
day train, 3 trains per day

Kaliningrad – Vilnius – Minsk – Moscow
night train, 2 trains per day

Kaunas – Bialystok (PL)
day train, 2 trains per day, only on weekends

I think that a train Vilnius – Grodno (BY) was introduced this or last summer, but I can't find it in a timetable anymore. Maybe someone knows what happened?

Have I left out any services? I don't think so.

Between Lithuania and Latvia there are absolutely no trains.
Between Latvia and Estonia there theoretically is a possibility to change trains in Valga, but nowadays a real connection is not scheduled anymore.u
Old November 11th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #304
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Ok thank you very much !

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:44 PM   #305
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
I think that a train Vilnius – Grodno (BY) was introduced this or last summer, but I can't find it in a timetable anymore. Maybe someone knows what happened?
Are you sure it existed? I find it almost impossible, as the former Saint Petersburg–Warsaw Railway (once main international line) has been dismantled on the Lithuanian side, from the Belarus border till Marcinkonys. Taking into account the non-EU status of Belarus this might be understandable, however in other geopolitical realities this stretch of the line could have become a logical route option for Rail Baltica: Warsaw -Bialystok -Grodno -Vilnius -Riga -Tallinn.
Old November 12th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #306
aspaspasp

Likes (Received): 20

What is the maximum speed currently achieved on a regular passenger line in Latvia?
aspaspasp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #307
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
Are you sure it existed?
Yes, here's a picture. From the comments now I read that it I guess was only experimental, because operated only for one month – July/August 2015. They would have probably continued the service if it was popular, but apparently it was too expensive or simply not enough people wanted it.

The route was through Lida rather than Varena and operated by Belorussian railways.

(source)

Quote:
I find it almost impossible, as the former Saint Petersburg–Warsaw Railway (once main international line) has been dismantled on the Lithuanian side, from the Belarus border till Marcinkonys.
Sad
Since 2015 the once main line's part Daugavpils – Lithuanian border doesn't have any train service, but is still open

(source)

eu01, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #308
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspaspasp View Post
What is the maximum speed currently achieved on a regular passenger line in Latvia?
I might be wrong, but I think it's around 90 km/h, because when traveling next to roads cars are slightly faster. In some occasions trains reach ~115 km/h with the maximum line speed in Latvia being 120.

I hope that with new trains they could achieve full 120 more often.

idejukauss09 liked this post
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #309
BriedisUnIzlietne

Rīga Central station reconstruction

EDzL (SIA Eiropas Dzelzceļa Līnijas / European Rail Lines Ltd.) have unveiled the submitted proposals for Rīga Central station reconstruction and the new railway bridge for Rail Baltica. There is a great variety of proposals and the best one will be chosen in a couple of weeks.

The actual project would only include the infrastructure necessary for the railway so the surrounding area and street reconstructions should be done by the municipality which is a big worry since they probably don't want to do that.

SMXL2022

8A7F5R2J

R2I0G1A6

ARST2919

Source and all proposals here: http://edzl.lv/lv/aktualitates/metu-konkurss
CRHR2016 is a trolling proposal
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #310
BriedisUnIzlietne

wow, it's been a year since something's been posted here... guess I'll have to make a short summary. *choo choo* Let's get to it!

Electrification project

http://parovoz.com/newgallery/pg_view.php?ID=602391&LNG=EN#picture
Financial concerns have impacted the project. Since there is not that much money available and no one knows if there will be money for future phases, the initial project that's to be completed by 2023 will be the 25kV AC electrification of Rīga–Krustpils–Daugavpils and Krustpils–Rēzekne.

The costs are expected to be €441m with €347m of that being European co-financing and the rest being paid by Latvian Railways itself, not the state.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...-proposal.html

New EMU project

http://parovoz.com/newgallery/pg_view.php?ID=604459&LNG=EN#picture
Unsurprisingly, the project is still taking time. Right now PV has received technical proposals from Talgo, Stadler, CAF and Škoda. A contract for the delivery of 32 commuter EMUs will hopefully be signed in 2018.

These trains would be single-voltage DC with the possibility of future conversion to AC when electrification gets converted. This means that Rīga station will also be split with certain platforms for 1520mm DC-only commuter trains, some for 1520mm AC-only Aizkraukle trains and some for 1435mm AC-only airport and Rail Baltica trains.

Afterwards PV hopes to acquire long-distance EMUs for the future electrification to Daugavpils and Rēzekne, but God knows how much time will that take

http://www.db.lv/ekonomika/transport...vajumus-466754

http://www.delfi.lv/bizness/transpor....d?id=48952761

Reņģe line reopening

http://parovoz.com/newgallery/pg_view.php?ID=599756&LNG=EN#picture
Europe has pronounced Lithuania guilty in demolishing their part of the cross-border line ten years ago in order to limit competition. Now they are forced to pay a large fine AND reopen the railway line. Lithuanian railways will fight this decision, but have already started to work on the design for the reopening of the line. The Latvian part of the line is in working order, but sees no train service. It is used only to store unnecessary freight wagons.

Vilnius–Daugavpils service
Lithuanian railways are working on reestablishing passenger service from Vilnius to Daugavpils by extending certain services beyond Turmantas on the currently disused railway section. There are four daily trains to Turmantas, but probably only certain weekend trains will be extended. The service should commence in the coming weeks or months.

Sarkandaugava–Ziemeļblāzma reconstruction
Latvian railways is to reconstruct the Sarkandaugava–Ziemeļblāzma part of Skulte railway in Rīga with new tracks, signalling and safer crossings. The biggest change will be the removal of Mīlgrāvis bridge bottleneck – the 2km of single track over Mīlgrāvis canal. This will now only allow more freight to the port, but also a more frequent, regular commuter train service in Skulte direction. Project is to be completed by 2023.

Daugavpils railway improvement

http://parovoz.com/newgallery/pg_view.php?ID=598966&LNG=EN#picture
Latvian railways is to improve efficiency of operations and reduce the number of freight trains in the core of Daugavpils. The sorting station is to be expanded with a new arrival yard and the abandoned part of Daugavpils ring railway will be reopened. New connections with the ring railway will finally allow trains to go from Daugavpils–Šķirotava to Krustpils, avoiding the city center.

Railway museum reconstruction and expansion
Latvian railways is looking to improve the railway museum to celebrate 100 years of Latvian independence. Currently, experts are evaluating the various proposals.

Gulbene line renovation

http://parovoz.com/newgallery/pg_view.php?ID=590995&LNG=EN#picture
Latvian railways is renovating the line from Pļaviņas to Gulbene. This was the last railway in the country with wooden sleepers and short rails. No more of that nostalgic experience for travellers.

k_raivis, pai nosso liked this post

Tags
latvian railways