daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #81
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5041

The Bicentennial Park Metro Mover station is finally open for business after all these years for the opening of the PAMM.

https://www.facebook.com/MiamiDadeTransit

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
marcvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #82
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5758

That's good news after the station was abandoned for so many years. The Omni area used to be somewhat of a dump.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #83
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

And any news about TriRail to Government Center?

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #84
marcvader
not a half-stepper

So guys I have been wondering. Is it a pipe dream that we'll ever get extensions of the Metro rail or Metro Movers out to areas in need of it like the north-south Biscayne corridor or East-West along any where out towards the suburbs or anything to the beach? It's just so friggin obvious we need this yet it seems government looks the other way. Is it possible to get this done? Other cities seem to be able to do it yet this overcrowded city can't manage it. I'm not too well informed on how it works so I leave it up to you guys to help me understand what the fudge is going on on this front.

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #85
coreyt

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
So guys I have been wondering. Is it a pipe dream that we'll ever get extensions of the Metro rail or Metro Movers out to areas in need of it like the north-south Biscayne corridor or East-West along any where out towards the suburbs or anything to the beach? It's just so friggin obvious we need this yet it seems government looks the other way. Is it possible to get this done? Other cities seem to be able to do it yet this overcrowded city can't manage it. I'm not too well informed on how it works so I leave it up to you guys to help me understand what the fudge is going on on this front.
short answer? yes. Total pipe dream. Politicians are too incompetent here.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, dcw.gator liked this post
coreyt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #86
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2849

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
And any news about TriRail to Government Center?
Tri-Rail will never go to Government Center since the rail line they currently use ends at the new Intermodal Center east of the Airport. Metrorail already is at the Airport Intermodal Center but eventually you will be able to transfer from Amtrak & Tri-Rail under the same station and Metrorail will take you to the Government Center downtown.

The proposed All Aboard Florida train service will connect the downtowns of W. Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale & downtown Miami directly.
They are building a new station across the street from the Government Center and will rise 4 stories above the city giving a impressive view of downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay.

^ the new Miami Airport Metrorail line (not shown) connects from there to the Earlington-Heights station now.

Last edited by Bobdreamz; December 11th, 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Bobdreamz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #87
Bobdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
The East-West corridor is dead and no plans for anything north up Biscayne since there are no right of ways or property bought to build any lines.

The only serious proposal and under study now is Baylink which will connect downtown Miami to South Beach. We should hear something about this study early next year.
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #88
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

If all of the Metrorail stations can hold a train with six cars (even though only trains with four cars are currently used), then how come the Government Center Station is designed to hold a train with eight cars?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #89
dimlys1994

From Miami Today:

Quote:
http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2014/0...new-rail-line/

Funding could sidetrack new rail line
April 16, 2014, by Lidia Dinkova

One of many road bumps a proposed South Florida commuter rail faces is finding a regional funding source to cover 25% of the capital cost and the entire annual operating cost.

Preliminary estimates put the capital cost for the Tri-Rail Coastal Link to connect Miami to Jupiter at $720 million to $800 million. Half would probably be federally funded and another 25% would probably come from the state, said the project’s steering committee comprised of staff.

The annual operating cost could be $33 million to $38 million.

Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties are each responsible for funding part of the regional cost. But exactly how much cost would be allocated to each county and what would be the funding source haven’t been determined.

“It’s not as simple as a third, a third, a third,” said Gerry O’Reilly, a committee member with the Florida Department of Transportation. Factors include the number of riders and stations in each county.

“Once you decide your percentages, you have to decide where your money comes from,” he said.

A steering committee last week heard 11 funding options, including a sales tax, a gas tax and a rental-car surcharge.

The Miami-Dade Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) said a rental-car surcharge, which would work in conjunction with another fee, is an option that’s unfair to Miami-Dade because it’s “disproportionately” paid by the county.

“I know you say these are tourists and not residents, but the bottom line is the surcharge for the rental car could go to improvements within Miami-Dade County,” said the MPO’s Wilson Fernandez.

Committee members have said elected officials will ultimately decide the source and cost allocation for the regional funding.

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:05 AM   #90
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Quote:
Construction On All Aboard Florida’s MiamiCentral To Begin Within 45 Days

By TNM Staff on January 27, 2015
Dade’s Rapid Transit Developmental Impact Committee granted final approval for the first phase of All Aboard Florida’s MiamiCentral station at a meeting last week. The meeting lasted less than thirty minutes, including a presentation on the project by Zyscovich Architects.

Construction on the rail portion will begin within 45 days. Under Florida statutes, the railway portion is not subject to local regulations or construction permitting.

Construction permitting for the station will be done at the county level, as the design review was. As part of the motion to approve, the committee added a condition the AAF must work with City of Miami officials on open space and landscape design.

Other than the terminal itself, the first phase will include mostly retail space. A European-style food market with multiple vendors is included in the plans.
http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...ithin-45-days/
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:01 PM   #91
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
this is gonna definitely change miami's landscape forever.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #92
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...-contract.html

Transdev awarded Tri-Rail maintenance contract
04 Feb 2015

USA: South Florida Regional Transportation Authority has awarded Transdev’s rail infrastructure maintenance business VTMI a $161m contract to inspect and maintain track, signals and bridges on the 115 km Tri-Rail commuter line linking Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

The contract runs for seven years from April 2015. There is an option for an extension, and provision to expand the scope to include capital improvement projects.
Old February 18th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #93
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Tri-rail expansion plans into downtown Miami

Sun-Sentinel
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...202-story.html

Quote:
Tri-Rail link to downtown Miami needs $69 million in funds to happen
By Michael Turnbell
Sun Sentinel

JANUARY 30, 2015 3:43 PM

In less than two years, commuters might be able to take Tri-Rail all the way to downtown Miami – without switching to Metrorail.

The plan would get passengers downtown quicker and save them money on fares by giving them a "one seat ride" on Tri-Rail.

But first, passenger platforms must be built for Tri-Rail in a giant new rail hub soon to be under construction for All Aboard Florida, a Miami-Orlando express passenger service to set to begin running in late 2016.

- edit: please do not copy full content, only post the first paragraph and add the link to the full article, thanks.
Here's what I don't get regarding the text I bolded above. What is this Tri-Rail/FEC connection south of Hialeah station? Are they talking about the spur just south of NW 38 Av/NW 36 St? It looks like that connects to a track that doesn't make it all the way to downtown but ends near NW 8 Av/NW 22 St. How will that even get downtown without bridging or tunneling under I-95?

I was always under the impression that the connection would be in Pompano and not in Hialeah, as demonstrated by this map below:

Old February 18th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #94
marcvader
not a half-stepper

The spur will be just south of Northside around 75th going east then linking up with the N/S FEC tracks around 71st.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

Old March 9th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #95
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
On track: Details for downtown Miami railway hub are revealed

The idea, All Aboard Florida executives say, is to build a world-class, iconic complex that will generate business development downtown and provide a seamless connection to Metrorail and Metromover services at the nearby Government Center transit station.

“It will be one of the most important buildings in the city of Miami for generations, the grand central station of a major city in the United States,” Sanders said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by Nexis; March 28th, 2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #96
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Funding to bring Tri-Rail downtown advances

Written by Lidia Dinkova on March 11, 2015

The South Florida Regional Transportation Authority wants Miami-Dade County to fund about $8.3 million of the cost to bring Tri-Rail to downtown Miami.

Tri-Rail is a commuter train that links Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. In Miami-Dade, the trains stop in the west. A recent push to expand east and have trains come downtown hinges on nailing down $69 million to fund the infrastructure.

Most recently, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez said he supports Tri-Rail service downtown.
http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2015/0...town-advances/
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #97
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101719

Why are all american metro trains so outdated looking?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #98
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Maybe that's the british part of their soul - 'tradition'.
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #99
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Tri-Rail connection to the airport (intermodal center) will reopen in the coming weeks, according to Miami mayor's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/MayorGimenez/sta...04305274941440

Story here: http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...rs-completion/

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #100
Bobdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Why are all american metro trains so outdated looking?
Miami's metro trains were built in 1984 and they have bought a brand new fleet replacing all 136 cars which will start being delivered later this year.

I'm not sure what colors were chosen.

Tags
buses, commuter rail, light rail, metro, metromover, metrorail, miami, subway, tri rail