daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1141
Loathing
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,141
Likes (Received): 369

I personally think the problem is overstated. The main reason why prices are so high in London is that 'foreign' people have moved here because it's a global city with world-class employment opportunities, amongst other things. That's a good thing.

The problem only really exists for British people who don't come from London. Born and raised Londoners can live at their parents', or their parents can help them with a mortgage on their property. If you're moving to London to work for the first time, then I'm afraid you just have to rent until your salary is high enough. That's the way big, successful cities work. There's plenty of cheap rentable property within zone 2, let alone zone 3, which London salaries are easily enough to cover. Funny that 0.5 million Poles manage to live, work, & rent in London (generally zone 3) and are left with plenty of cash to send home. And they can't even make use of the massive benefits system that is open to UK nationals.

Beyond schemes of simply building more housing, there is no justification for further Government intervention. Additional subsidies would be a complete waste of money when money is so tight. Indeed, as far as I know the Shadow Government does not have a remarkably different housing policy for London than the incumbent Government.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1142
spindrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,145
Likes (Received): 274

It's a good think to have mixed areas of housing rather than affluent ghettoes. there is a sharp divide in London between those lucky enough to get on the housing ladder ten years ago or so, and those who didn't and realistically do not have a chance of ever being able to afford to buy without help.
spindrift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1143
UrbanG
Registered User
 
UrbanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
I personally think the problem is overstated. The main reason why prices are so high in London is that 'foreign' people have moved here because it's a global city with world-class employment opportunities, amongst other things. That's a good thing.
world-class employment prospects, true. the housing stock is very far from world-class. You ask those "foreign" people if they'd want to settle here or if their saving all their well-earned cash to move back home for better quality. I long for the day when London becomes a place where more people choose to live and settle rather than have to live for work.
UrbanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1144
spindrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,145
Likes (Received): 274

image hosted on flickr


Quote:
This year has been something special for all the people of the UK and of course it is equally important to be sure to end it in the same way.

The New Years Eve fireworks this year are set to be nothing short of a DAZZLING SPECTACULAR as we wave goodbye to a magnificent year for the UK. The skies over London will be blazing with light and colour again this New Year’s eve as the focus of the World will once again be on London and the majority of the fireworks display will be fired from the London Eye.

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson said in a recent statement ‘Our New Year Event will cap off a triumphant year for London, as we welcomed the world to share our magnificent celebrations for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the glorious success of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

London was at its best from thrilling sporting action to the breathtaking cultural celebrations. It has been an unforgettable year and I am immensely proud of the contributions made by our ambassadors to that success.

As we go into 2013 with a spectacular fireworks display I hope we can build on that energy and enthusiasm to make ours the best big City in the World’.
spindrift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1145
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
The main reason why prices are so high in London is that 'foreign' people have moved here because it's a global city with world-class employment opportunities, amongst other things. That's a good thing.
But London was an even bigger global city with world-class employment opportunities back in the day and I don't think property was so much of a rip off too.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM   #1146
Loathing
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,141
Likes (Received): 369

Back in the day?
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #1147
jamiefearon
Registered User
 
jamiefearon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 802
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldss@hotmail.co.u View Post
But London was an even bigger global city with world-class employment opportunities back in the day and I don't think property was so much of a rip off too.
???
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1148
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 20

When most of the world map was pink.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM   #1149
Langur
Londinium langur
 
Langur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 9,070
Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldss@hotmail.co.u View Post
When most of the world map was pink.
It certainly ruled much of the world, but the population was nowhere near as global as today. Housing was actually more of a ripoff given that most Londoners had little left after paying rent, and of course few could afford to buy.
__________________
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1150
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Housing was actually more of a ripoff given that most Londoners had little left after paying rent, and of course few could afford to buy.
interest rates were high.

But the poor used to live in the centre and buy houses in the centre, impossible now.

if your well off or a millionaire the rent is cheap, but rent has got so high now for the working poor the government has to subsidies the rent they pay as their wage does not cover the high rent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
It certainly ruled much of the world, but the population was nowhere near as global as today.

london/UK was the shipping, industrial,finance,shipbuilding,science/technology capital of the world,global superpower.

people like the great gandhi study here and diplomats from Tonga to swaziland to singapore all came here.

Last edited by mouldss@hotmail.co.u; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1151
Langur
Londinium langur
 
Langur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 9,070
Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldss@hotmail.co.u View Post

interest rates were high.

But the poor used to live in the centre and buy houses in the centre, impossible now.

if your well off or a millionaire the rent is cheap, but rent has got so high now for the working poor the government has to subsidies the rent they pay as their wage does not cover the high rent.

london/UK was the shipping, industrial,finance,shipbuilding,science/technology capital of the world,global superpower.

people like the great gandhi study here and diplomats from Tonga to swaziland to singapore all came here.
There were no diplomats from Swaziland to Singapore. They weren't independent countries, so didn't have diplomats of their own. It's their current post-independence rulers who were educated here. Imperial Britain never educated anywhere near as many foreigners as it does today. Indeed educating rich foreigners has been one of Britain's strongest growth industries over the past decade.

I don't believe the London poor ever owned homes in central London. They lived in festering slums and paid rent.

I live in zone 1, and there are plenty of council estates with relatively poor people living in them.

London was never the greatest centre of manufacturing (though the UK was). London remains the world's leading centre of global finance, and the world's largest aviation hub. London's also the largest and richest metropolis in the world's largest economy.
__________________
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1152
Loathing
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,141
Likes (Received): 369

I also rent in zone 1 and pay about £8k per anum for my room. Hardly breaks the bank, and I live a hop and a skip away from Picadilly, Mayfair, etc.
I have Polish cousins who work as unqualified builders in London, pull in over £25k a piece, and rent in Parson's Green (an expensive zone 2 area).
It's really not that difficult. Which is why I think the problem is overstated. How anyone can actually expect to buy property in a city like London for £70k is beyond me. You'll hardly get much in Zagreb or Lagos for that much, for God's sake! Heck, a decent Mercedes costs £70k, and you want a flat for that much?
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1153
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
There were no diplomats from Swaziland to Singapore. They weren't independent countries, so didn't have diplomats of their own.
diplomats: aka the top people came to london, it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
It's their current post-independence rulers who were educated here. Imperial Britain never educated anywhere near as many foreigners as it does today. Indeed educating rich foreigners has been one of Britain's strongest growth industries over the past decade.
yes I know about that and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I don't believe the London poor ever owned homes in central London. They lived in festering slums and paid rent.
some did some didn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I live in zone 1, and there are plenty of council estates with relatively poor people living in them.
subsidies by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
London was never the greatest centre of manufacturing (though the UK was).
.

London the hart of the biggest empire there ever was the uk was part of it. London is still living from the glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
London remains the world's leading centre of global finance, and the world's largest aviation hub. London's also the largest and richest metropolis in the world's largest economy.
and a huge deficit.

exactly remains


in the world's largest economy?

Last edited by mouldss@hotmail.co.u; January 2nd, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1154
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
I also rent in zone 1 and pay about £8k per anum for my room. Hardly breaks the bank, and I live a hop and a skip away from Picadilly, Mayfair, etc.
I have Polish cousins who work as unqualified builders in London, pull in over £25k a piece, and rent in Parson's Green (an expensive zone 2 area).
It's really not that difficult. Which is why I think the problem is overstated. How anyone can actually expect to buy property in a city like London for £70k is beyond me. You'll hardly get much in Zagreb or Lagos for that much, for God's sake! Heck, a decent Mercedes costs £70k, and you want a flat for that much?
£8k per anum for my room. Hardly breaks the bank lololol



add one child 16 to 20k Hardly breaks the bank lololol for you maybe.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1155
metroranger
Registered User
 
metroranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stratford
Posts: 451
Likes (Received): 32

£8k per annum for a room........
NHS pay bands
Band 1; £14,153 - £14,864 porters, cleaners, domestics, kitchen staff.
Band 2; £17.153 - £17.254 receptionists, blood-takers, health care assistants, occupational therapy assistants, laboratory assistants.
__________________
Basically at the end of the day you know what I mean....... actually
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1156
Loathing
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,141
Likes (Received): 369

What are you talking about? 8k was an example of a zone 1 bedroom on the edge of Mayfair/Soho - arguably the prime location to live in one of the greatest cities in the world.

You were arguing that it's difficult to live within zone 3.

And what point are you exactly trying to make by quoting essentially the lowest salaries in the country? That some people have low salaries and others have high salaries?
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1157
jamiefearon
Registered User
 
jamiefearon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 802
Likes (Received): 125

I pay £83 a month for a room in Zone 2 but thats after a lot of searching and negotiating.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1158
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe
 
ill tonkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: A slab of Portsmouth with just a dash of Spalding
Posts: 15,110
Likes (Received): 790

A month!? Before I moved back home I was paying more than that a week in Portsmouth.
ill tonkso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #1159
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefearon View Post
I pay £83 a month for a room in Zone 2 but thats after a lot of searching and negotiating.
must be a broom cupboard hovel in the gettos, realistically rooms in the suburbs are £350to£700 PM, if your lucky bills inc.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #1160
metroranger
Registered User
 
metroranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stratford
Posts: 451
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
What are you talking about? 8k was an example of a zone 1 bedroom on the edge of Mayfair/Soho - arguably the prime location to live in one of the greatest cities in the world.

You were arguing that it's difficult to live within zone 3.

And what point are you exactly trying to make by quoting essentially the lowest salaries in the country? That some people have low salaries and others have high salaries?
I quoted the salaries to illustrate the need for affordable housing in central London. The way things are going these people won't be able to afford to work in the London hospitals, or clean the posh flats and hotels, sweep the streets and clear the rubbish. Train and bus fares have increased, they can't afford to commute to work and can't afford to live near work. The system is broken. Do we really want to return to multi generational families living in overcrowded sub-standard accommodation?
__________________
Basically at the end of the day you know what I mean....... actually
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu